• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Been a while since I've been through here.

Made a couple Beef Wellington over the last week or two. First one I put under the broiler for a few minutes to get some more colour.... Burnt! (only just)

1st try:
eJoS9P8P8x-Gst1RO2KVdje42igaEO_zC_-QvJO7zsE_=w1034-h775-no

GZRHGFM5DCifHR1EA1KjnsIFMQhL5HDndNgZi03rXTpm=w1034-h775-no

o3T5dEqddgyxSDY85k4YBv446Erk9TJWiNnJyV2qO1P7=w1034-h775-no

K-9hek-KiSNFyakMC8DMv5HQ7UNnJIkxAV5BmYEYWT-A=w1034-h775-no

R3O4T0NbNoeIaFw9c4Nr3oZUA00owJAMqpj6SMEZspW2=w1034-h775-no

Came out a little dark but was still very tasty.

2nd try:
eFxyp2jjIzHm4R-SzepZ9HqW0Ue93soVsBV1sImw4vPS=w1034-h775-no

nfxrxQ2IzQSvW6IZACFEoS9YYdcJ1x7EQyP2owsOWNp8=w1034-h775-no

evIEv7nFzBmSVW7x_djNsEOcmare_errYjozzpS4C96B=w582-h775-no

26t63hAFj1S1zm4zTDgQKTJLUslumiaDWa1twOb4ygmy=w1034-h775-no

Oddly enough the first one tasted better, think it was the meat itself though.

^^^ That looks pretty bad ass. Although at the risk of sounding rude (not!) they remind me of a delicoiusly roasted tofurkey :).

Did a 60+ mi motorcycle ride around Lake Sebago yesterday and then came home to freshly made strawberry-rhubarb galettes. A good day.
birthday-galettes.jpg

zbarron

Tasty looking page.

This is my attempt at a thin crust pizza with fresh mozzarella pearls and fresh oregano and basil. It was fair. I've had and made better pizzas but it was still good and worth the experiment.
19062509826_b2459a6370_h.jpg

The two missing pieces had basil leaves on them. I liked it. My wife would have preferred if I chiffonade the basil and spread more evenly. She found a mouth full overpowering.

I made some slow cooked BBQ pulled chicken. There was leftovers the next day so I fried some corn tortillas, topped with the chicken, olives, jalapenos, enchilada sauce, sour cream, and cheddar cheese and then threw it under the broiler until the cheese was melted.
19082860662_7e6d5b8fb6_h.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture. My camera's battery was dead and I was in a hurry to eat this while hot so I just plopped it down and snapped.

zbarron

Sorry for the double post, but I know there are some cheese lovers in here.

I bought Clawson Blueberry Fayre. It's made with white stilton. I've never had stilton, blue or white, before. There is a fermented smell that is almost like a strong beer or a wine and a little bready. Is this normal? The one review I saw online said it tasted like cheesecake and has me worried it might be bad. It is before the expiration date but I want to be sure it's supposed to smell like that before my pregnant wife has some.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
For my mother I made this strawberry and marshmallow cake today:

cakeaisno.png

It ain't no looker in the bunch, but was tasty.

Recipe

Flan case

4 eggs
1.2 dl sugar
1.8 dl flour (plus 2 tablespoons)
2/8 teaspoon baking powder
50 grams marshmallows
1 ml cardamom

The rest

1 marzipan lid
3 dl heavy whipping cream
400 grams fresh strawberries
200 grams marshmallows
1 decently sized rhubarb stalk
6 dl water
1 regular sized bag of pectine
1/4 bar of dark chocolate

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 190° C /375° F. Prepare a sponge cake baking pan by spraying it with flour-infused oil. It's important the pan is of this kind:

sockerkaksformugu4i.png

2. Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Beat the eggs (with an electric mixer) and sugar together until the egg mixture has become very thick and turned a very pale yellow.

3. Heat 50 grams of marshmallows until they are brown and can be turned into a paste. Add this paste to the egg mixture.
Note: You have to work very fast here for the marshmallow paste hardens very quickly. I heated the marshmallows in the oven, but it should be possible in a water bath on the stove as well.

4. Sift the flour, baking powder and cardamom together. Use a spoon or spatula to fold the flour into the egg mixture, one third at a time.

5. Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Use a spatula to spread it evenly if required.

6. Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.

7. Let the cake cool for at least two minutes if you have already prepared the filling. If you haven't prepared the filling simultaneously, proceed to next step and leave the cake for now.

8. Cut each strawberry into four pieces, remove the leaves if necessary. Put the strawberries in a pot and add 6 dl water.

9. Let the strawberries cook on medium heat until they are soft. Then use a potato masher to turn them into a paste. Then while stirring add the pectine.

10. Let the strawberries and pectine cook for one minute, then add the sugar (also while stirring). Let cook until it has hardened. Pour this sauce into a bowl.

11. Now it's time to do the whipping cream. First, roast the rhubarb stalk until it becomes a bit brown. Then finely cut and then chop it into a paste.

12. Put the rhubarb paste in a bowl and add the whipping cream. Beat the whipping cream (with an electric mixer) until it becomes fluffy.

13. Place the cake on a large plate where you have easy access to it and room to rotate and move it.

14. Repeat step 3 but now with the remaining marshmallows (200 grams). First, add enough marshmallow paste so it fills about half of the hole in the center of the cake. Then evenly spread the rest of the marshmallow paste around the cake until it is fully covered. Then let the paste harden.

15. Pour the strawberry sauce into the hole in the center of the cake. Try to cover the top of the cake as well without the sauce flowing over on the sides.

16. Now it's time to cover the marshmallow layer of the cake, with whippping cream. Make the cover smooth and try to get every part covered.

17. Grate dark chocolate on the top of the cake. Don't be skimpy.

18. Place the marzipan lid carefully over the cake. And you are done.

Arise, new champion!

e8pyybW.jpg

Locatelli Saracino is apparently one the the most badass Sheep's milk cheeses out there by far or at least in a long while---and while there's no amazing oil or anything especially novel to it, what it does have in spades is an excellent melt, not overpowering aroma, and an absolutely stellar "classic" sort of flavor. I barely had enough to actually apply towards this, as once my mom tried a bit straight up with low expectations, she just started downing it out of the pack in a hurry save for a bit of wax trimming.

Zyzyxxz

Made some time to cook for myself, hopefully I keep up this regimen. Been eating out and consuming too much processed food as of late.

white cheddar grits, king oyster mushrooms, sliced pork belly, and a spicy tomato salad on top.
19196922435_e7179ba0a5_z_d.jpg

Chicken and chive dumplings w/ napa cabbage - broth is a chicken heavy stock w/ some pork and seafood product. Made it the day after I watched the Alton Brown Good Eats on chicken and dumplings.
19196794265_a52b7f0f15_z_d.jpg

Wonton noodles with a stock made from many dried fish products and chicken. Noodles were of the dried variety and not that great but the wontons I made myself.
19190949842_c557693e1d_z_d.jpg

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Who likes legumes?

This weekend I made some garbanzo stew for my cheat meal. It's nearly impossible to make a good looking chickpea stew, so don't be put off by its appearance.

Garbanzo stews are quite probably one of the tastiest, easiest and most filling recipes you can find. Just basically put a bunch of chickpeas and some meat cuts in a pressure cooker, add water and let it rip for 30 minutes. Done.

I used around 500 grams of dry chickpeas (rehydrated through the night, so make that 1 to 1.2 kg of chickpeas), one small chicken carcass, one entire chicken breast, one cut of pork belly (panceta works fine, I wouldn't recommend bacon), one blood sausage, one chorizo sausage, a thick cut of ham bone, one carrot and two bay leaves. Add some salt and pour water until it's fully covered and cook it in the pressure cooker for about 30 minutes for an incredibly tasty stew that will make you drowsy for the rest of the day. This is perfect Sunday food.

Chickpeas are not supposed to be served drowned, so the remaining liquid can be used as soup; just add some noodles and you are set. There's also plenty of meat. Tradition pretty much mandates to turn all that extra chicken and pork into small bits for croquettes. The beauty about this dish is that there's never any leftovers to speak of, other than some bones.

That's the saddest cocido I have ever seen.

I know, cheat meal, but still.

le-seb

Hadn't posted for a while here, so thought I'd do something special...
CIMG1196_v1.JPG

Everybody loves bunnies, right? ;)

The little dude here shared the skillet with some onions, both were then flambéed with some Calvados (apple brandy), and simmered for almost one hour with some white wine and fresh tarragon before being joined by some bacon, mushrooms, cream and mustard.

This was super tasty, and I can post pictures from the making of, if somebody's interested.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
the annual EssKULTour had its 9th anniversary this weekend, and as one of the founders I was obliged to visit, of course :)
Burger, Pulled Pork, Slider, Backhendl, Bratwurst with wild herbs, 96hours slow cooked suckling pig on bread, tartelette au citron, pastry mix :)

NEO0MJ

Gonna make Hainanese chicken rice for my family today. Anyone got tips for me? Anything will do, as I'm still new to this whole cooking thing.

Zyzyxxz

Gonna make Hainanese chicken rice for my family today. Anyone got tips for me? Anything will do, as I'm still new to this whole cooking thing.

Without giving away too many of my secrets you've at least come to the right person.

One of the easiest methods that my mother taught me was bring the broth to a boil with the chicken in it from a cold start, once it reaches a boil let it go for 1 minute then immediately turn off the heat source and put a lid on the pot. Let it stand for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of your bird (3lb to 5lb)

After that time period pull the chicken out and if its not too hot to handle rub it with salt all over, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for another 15 minutes, then chop it up when ready.

If you are making the rice I hope you have some extra chicken fat on hand. Best way to get it is to save some of the chicken fat and boil it in water before you plunk it into the pot. Also you can skim the top of the poaching liquid for extra chicken fat put it on a metal sheet tray in the freezer and separate fat from frozen broth once cold enough. Saute garlic in the fat (I do 1 teaspoon fat and mince garlic for every cup of rice). Add in rice and saute rice until the outside of grains start to go clear but the center is still solid white. Season with salt, generally 1tb of salt per 2 cups/ 1 pint of rice plus extra. Cook w/ chicken broth and taste the salt level. It should be pretty salty because the bland rice will balance it out. Toss in a few sliced of a fresh ginger and let the rice cook.

As the rice is cooking you probably want to start chopping the chicken. And from here it's just practice. I have a few other tricks I keep to myself for cooking the chicken but for the most part you can have great chicken as long as its properly cooked which you will get better from experience.

NEO0MJ

Thanks, Zyzyxxz. Any tips for how to cut the chicken right? Just remove the bones and chop or is there more to it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Careful reminder now that summer is here and the heat is on:

Never boil anything while naked. Leave the sexy chef routine for the movies. Use a damn apron.

zbarron

Careful reminder now that summer is here and the heat is on:

Never boil anything while naked. Leave the sexy chef routine for the movies. Use a damn apron.

Damn man. I hope you didn't have a full (get ready to cross your legs) Channing Tatum moment.

I live more dangerously than I should. I get satisfaction from deep frying with my shirt off.

I don't have any meals to show but I did grow this big ass plum radish. Sadly, right after this photo my son caught sight of it and thought it was a ball so proceeded to play with it.
19124585839_7a916f8c6f_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Thanks, Zyzyxxz. Any tips for how to cut the chicken right? Just remove the bones and chop or is there more to it?

https://youtu.be/cxzEqNuC7aA?t=326

This is probably a good reference for how to cut it. Honestly if you've ever broken down a chicken before its the same thing but easier if you leave the bones in. Deboning IMO is a waste of meat because you will leave a lot of meat on the bone. If you family doesn't mind the bones then easier for you and more food for everyone.

NEO0MJ

https://youtu.be/cxzEqNuC7aA?t=326

This is probably a good reference for how to cut it. Honestly if you've ever broken down a chicken before its the same thing but easier if you leave the bones in. Deboning IMO is a waste of meat because you will leave a lot of meat on the bone. If you family doesn't mind the bones then easier for you and more food for everyone.

Decided to ust seperate the parts without cutting any of the meat.

I feel it could have gone better. Chicken was a bit too firm and seemed to lack flavor and salt. Guess I was too afraid of overdoing it. Rice came out a bit better, but still needed more flavor.

If only you'd have shared your secrets with me ;-;

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Damn man. I hope you didn't have a full (get ready to cross your legs) Channing Tatum moment.

I live more dangerously than I should. I get satisfaction from deep frying with my shirt off.

Just my belly and inner left tight. Which was not fun anyway. I'm lucky to be a bit of a hairy beast, which meant that most of the boiling water didn't make direct contact with my skin.

Beautiful radish, btw. I love them, even if more often than not I don't know what to do with them outside of salads.

Zyzyxxz

Decided to ust seperate the parts without cutting any of the meat.

I feel it could have gone better. Chicken was a bit too firm and seemed to lack flavor and salt. Guess I was too afraid of overdoing it. Rice came out a bit better, but still needed more flavor.

If only you'd have shared your secrets with me ;-;

Just keep at it. I've done it hundreds of times so practice makes perfect.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Lots of great looking food on this page. Nice work y'all
Damn. What smoker did you use? Also what kind of wood? I wanted to get into smoking this summer but with how high the price of beef has gotten I realized it wasn't for me and my small family.

I know you weren't addressing me, but I love to smoke. Wood depends on the type of meat you are smoking and what types of flavors you want. I usually do pecan and apple with brisket, and pecan, apple or cherry for pork.

Also you can do pork butts, pork ribs, chicken, turkey, etc on your smoker, doesn't only have to be beef. You should check out the BBQ GAF thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505559

Anyway I made this tonight. BBQ Pork loin with raspberry chipotle glaze. (not technically BBQ as I did it in the oven because it was a torrential downpour when I would have wanted to start my pit. We got a huge loin on sale and have been cutting it into smaller chunks about ~2lbs. I love getting cheap cuts of meat and making them taste fantastic.

Brined for about 7 hours, then in the oven with a BBQ rub till 140 internal, then put the glaze on for another 10 minutes or so.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Back to back dinner dates. Tried pulling out all the stops tonight.

Missing a photo of the main course (was sweet potato, creamed corn, mozzarella, and pine nut fritters with a curry flavoured sour cream, and sweet chilli sauce), but starter and dessert below.

Baked brie with manuka honey and crusty bread

Kiwi movies inspired dessert plate featuring whipped vanilla "snowfreeze" icecream topped with maple syrup sweetened popcorn, a "choc top" dark chocolate covered frozen banana encrusted with salty chopped nuts, and a Jaffas inspired Amarula, Cointreau, Baileys, and Orange choc chip protein powder shot

CRS

Made a couple of things today for the family.

Started off with some habaneros in some lime juice.

CJHYbQ6UsAAIj5b.jpg:large

Added some red onions.

CJHYlhkUMAAddZI.jpg:large

Let that chill in the fridge for the morning.

In the meantime, I prepped the veggies for some ceviche.

CJHYxn5VEAAtIT9.jpg:large

Tomatoes, green onion, cucumber, and cilantro. Forgot to take a picture of the tilapia in the lime juice but I left the fish in the juice overnight. Mixed everything together, finished it off with some salt and pepper.

Ta da!

CJHY1_vUkAASWvB.jpg:large

I almost didn't want to eat it since it looked so good with the peppers/onions but I was hungry. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great looking stuff, everybody! Thanks for sharing.
I haven't eaten barely any solid foods at all for the last two weeks since it is extremely hot and humid over here. Main source of food is stuff like yoghurt drinks and Ayran at the moment :p

How do you all cope with high temperatures and food intake?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In America, we blast the AC.

And my family makes a lot of cold dishes as well.

I was surprised to find out that ACs were not common in Germany. It must be awful, my heart goes out to you.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I haven't eaten barely any solid foods at all for the last two weeks since it is extremely hot and humid over here. Main source of food is stuff like yoghurt drinks and Ayran at the moment :p

Hmm, not sure I've adapted all that well :p

Chorizo and scrambled eggs breakfast burrito

INHkbGG.jpg

ozGBTM2.jpg

Oven-roasted pork belly

xxXmvpC.jpg

le-seb

I've mainly been eating raw vegetables and salads these days.
Tomatoes with olive oil, basil and garlic dressing.
Courgettes with olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary dressing.
Cucumber with a bit of whipping cream and chive.
I'll bring a little bit of tuna fish, a hard boil egg, cured ham or cold chicken breast into the equation for proteins.
Add summer fruits like strawberries, peaches or melon for the sugar, and a yoghurt when craving some more fat.

zbarron

I've definitely been feeling the heat. Unfortunately it's meaning I am cooking less than I usually do so I don't make the house any hotter. Right now I am re-seasoning my cast iron which I've been putting off and it's miserable in here.

Your post makes me want to make milk kefir, but while I know it's safe a big part of me doesn't want to mess with fermentation while my wife is pregnant.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
A lot of outdoor grilling
too hot for that, made bratwurst yesterday and didn't like it.

I've mainly been eating raw vegetables and salads these days.
Tomatoes with olive oil, basil and garlic dressing.
Courgettes with olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary dressing.
Cucumber with a bit of whipping cream and chive.
I'll bring a little bit of tuna fish, a hard boil egg, cured ham or cold chicken breast into the equation for proteins.
Add summer fruits like strawberries, peaches or melon for the sugar, and a yoghurt when craving some more fat.
sounds like a plan.

In America, we blast the AC.

And my family makes a lot of cold dishes as well.

I was surprised to find out that ACs were not common in Germany. It must be awful, my heart goes out to you.
yeah, suffer like a Mann...

I've definitely been feeling the heat. Unfortunately it's meaning I am cooking less than I usually do so I don't make the house any hotter. Right now I am re-seasoning my cast iron which I've been putting off and it's miserable in here.

Your post makes me want to make milk kefir, but while I know it's safe a big part of me doesn't want to mess with fermentation while my wife is pregnant.
As much as I enjoy homemade dairy products, it's not worth the risk in your case. Just buy some readymade Kefir, it's not that bad.

Hmm, not sure I've adapted all that well :p

Chorizo and scrambled eggs breakfast burrito

Oven-roasted pork belly
delicious! :) I crave the salt right now.

zbarron

As much as I enjoy homemade dairy products, it's not worth the risk in your case. Just buy some readymade Kefir, it's not that bad.

The taste is a bit of a concern but it's mostly the price. A little less than a liter is $4-$5USD by me and I can get four times that much milk for $3USD.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's expensive. liter of fresh whole milk goes for around 0.7€ here, liter of Kefir for around 1.20€ for no name stuff, 1.60@ a liter for brand kefir.

luoapp

In China, we use heat to fight heat.

raindoc

IronGAF, I need help.
In the next weeks I want to make some pulled pork. Never had any - never made it.
And I don't have a big green egg or a comparable smoker, just what's called a "Grill" in german - charcoal powered.

Do I stand a chance? Can I make it in the kitchen/oven?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
IronGAF, I need help.
In the next weeks I want to make some pulled pork. Never had any - never made it.
And I don't have a big green egg or a comparable smoker, just what's called a "Grill" in german - charcoal powered.

You can make pulled pork in just about anything. Slow cooker/crackpot, oven, smoker. The key is to cook it slowly for a long time. Somewhere in the range of 8-14 hours at around 225 depending on the weight. You can adjust the temp and times obviously.

zbarron

I made a baked penne skillet tonight. My son loves pasta and he loves cheese so this was mostly for him. I used fresh oregano, basil and parsley in the tomato sauce. I also made a quick faux alfredo with whole milk butter and romano cheese and combined it with the red sauce. After that it was just tossing the noodles in it and topping with mozzerella before going under the broiler.
18938943044_8ac1f475d6_h.jpg

19373494378_8b6427523e_h.jpg

It came out tasty and my son is inhaling it.

Milchjon

IronGAF, I need help.

I've made pulled pork several times (non-authentic, but who cares, it's awesome). Both in the oven and braised in a pot. I think there's only two rules that you can't break: Keep the temperature low and use fatty pork cuts (shoulder, maybe neck).

My favorite recent attempt, though wildly un-authentic, was braised in coconut milk with ginger, chili and lemongrass. Cut the pork in thick slabs, let it braise for a few hours at a low simmer, pull it and reduce the whole thing until the coconut milk disappears into a juicy mix with all the pork.

In the oven, I used a dry rub of a lot of chili, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, pepper, salt and I think some cumin. Big chunk of shoulder, put some honey and mustard on it, rub a lot of the rub into every crevice, wrap it in plastic foil, let it sit over night. Using a deeper pan (whatever it's called, Auflaufform), covered in aluminum foil for most of the time. Takes forever, at least 2 hours more than the cut & braise thing above. Take the foil off maybe an hour before the end for a bit of crust. Thermometer helps, but I made my first without one. Just cooked it til the back of a knife slid through without resistance.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
the annual EssKULTour had its 9th anniversary this weekend, and as one of the founders I was obliged to visit, of course :)
Burger, Pulled Pork, Slider, Backhendl, Bratwurst with wild herbs, 96hours slow cooked suckling pig on bread, tartelette au citron, pastry mix :)

#Snip

All of this looks incredible as usual Onkel

My work from last night...

Is that beef? Sorry I can't tell.

TMC

I made a baked penne skillet tonight. My son loves pasta and he loves cheese so this was mostly for him. I used fresh oregano, basil and parsley in the tomato sauce. I also made a quick faux alfredo with whole milk butter and romano cheese and combined it with the red sauce. After that it was just tossing the noodles in it and topping with mozzerella before going under the broiler.
18938943044_8ac1f475d6_h.jpg

19373494378_8b6427523e_h.jpg

It came out tasty and my son is inhaling it.

Damn! This looks amazing!

Top Bottom