• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought Diablo 3's economy was bad before [Duping exploit, trillions of gold]

Oh god. This makes me wish I had tortured myself even more on launch to get some more good gear. Good god.

T2 is better in almost every way.

T2 is pretty good, I enjoyed what I played of it much more than the first one.

PoE is where it's at though, IMO.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
T2 is pretty good, I enjoyed what I played of it much more than the first one.

PoE is where it's at though, IMO.

Could be, I wanted to try it like 5 times but the downloader never finished for me and always bugged out. I concluded that the game didnt want to be played by me.

You dont understand that the game was BALANCED around the idea of the AH and the RMAH, which fundamentally changed the game for everyone not only for those that do *not* use it.

And yet, it's possible to get to Inferno, and complete it, without much fuss, or ever using AH/RMAH.

You do at a certain point though. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get the loot you need to keep up because the itemization almost seems like it is built to send you to the AH.

No. You don't. That's my point. I get that it's popular to say that, and to blame the AH/RMAH for all of the game's woes (and it does have woes, don't get me wrong), but the AH/RMAH is *not needed to play the game*. I don't get why people insist that it is. I'm not trying to convince anyone to play it, but I've yet to be convinced of the AH/RMAH's evils, except if you want to get into really fussy things like a lack of item diversity, which I totally get, and is something upcoming patches are addressing at least).

Mazzo

Is D3 worth getting if I have T2? With all this DRM nonsense, I can't help but to think the gameplay must simply be incredible.

I think the gameplay is well worth it. The skill system is really fun to mess with and has a lot of variety.

The loot part is the worst right now, although they say it will be fixed in a future patch =/

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some?) the game only really starts at lvl 60, so you would have to beat the game 3 times before you get all the skills and starts possibly getting any decent loot.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but is it so hard to just *not* use the AH/RMAH, and not care that others do?

Are people who can do that, freaks of nature?

(And don't tell me you *need* the AH or RMAH to play the game, have fun, and progress - because we'd both know you're lying).

Blizzard has made a lot of headway in making the game more accessible to found gear only players. MP level in inferno, bind on account items etc., but if you really want to farm for the phat loots, you have to play the auction house game.

And yet, it's possible to get to Inferno, and complete it, without much fuss, or ever using AH/RMAH.

No. You don't. That's my point.

We will have to agree to disagree. However the game's itemization is designed around the AH and there is no disputing that.

He can argue that to hell and back, doesnt change the fact that he is wrong.

I know that, but its not worth arguing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Blizzard has made a lot of headway in making the game more accessible to found gear only players. MP level in inferno, bind on account items etc., but if you really want to farm for the phat loots, you have to play the auction house game.

This is exactly the problem. You could play D2 on your own if you wanted the best stuff. Not possible in D3 BECAUSE of the way the game is balanced due to the AH, so Blizzard makes money.
We will have to agree to disagree. However the game's itemization is designed around the AH and there is no disputing that.

He can argue that to hell and back, doesnt change the fact that he is wrong.

Rubius

Is D3 worth getting if I have T2? With all this DRM nonsense, I can't help but to think the gameplay must simply be incredible.

The gameplay of D3 is really meh. I would say its worth a single playthough in Normal, but not a second one. The outside maps are not randomly generated and the maps are REALLY lowly randomly generated. Its no PoE or TL2

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
ROFLMAO. Makes me glad I didn't buy. I really can't wait to play offline and enjoy the game when it's released on consoles.

Wallach

This is exactly the problem. You could play D2 on your own if you wanted the best stuff. Not possible in D3 BECAUSE of the way the game is balanced due to the AH so Blizzard makes money.

The best stuff? Not that I remember.

Greatly enjoying their RMAH fucking them over big time, though. I'm glad at least one platform will get a proper version of this game.

You can play D3 on your own, and get the "best" stuff. Hell, some of the best stuff right now, you can't even sell on the AH. You *have* to craft it.

You don't have to use the AH or RMAH. People that keep insisting otherwise, are not convincing me that they're actually playing or have played the game. It sounds like simple bandwagon hating, nothing personal.

Corsick

You can play D3 on your own, and get the "best" stuff. Hell, some of the best stuff right now, you can't even sell on the AH. You *have* to craft it.

You don't have to use the AH or RMAH. People that keep insisting otherwise, are not convincing me that they're actually playing or have played the game. It sounds like simple bandwagon hating, nothing personal.

For most of the lifespan of the game, you needed the AH to not have a horrible time throughout ALL of inferno. The drop rates and item rolls are beyond putrid if you wanted to solo inferno with only your own drops. It just isn't a well made game. The only thing that felt right with it from the start was the combat. It's too bad the item game was integral to it because it was atrocious. Blizzard said it all along, "Diablo is about the loot," and they screwed that up to the point where I quit after a month.

For most of the lifespan of the game, you needed the AH to not have a horrible time throughout ALL of inferno. The drop rates and item rolls are beyond putrid if you wanted to solo inferno with only your own drops.

I'd say things got back on track around the time Paragon Levels were introduced. That's about the halfway point of the game's lifespan so far, unless I'm mistaken. Itemization still needs work, I won't deny.

inky

I'm sorry, but that is a lie. Most of the best farming builds are geared around legendary and set items (which you can't craft) and very specific weapons. Sure, there's actually decent crafting right now but for 3 gear slots only, so that is clearly not enough. Good luck crafting the best gems on your own with drops only too. I'd actually would like to see how long it takes you to fill at least 7 gem sockets with the best. The operating word being "best". Of course now you can pretty much finish the game on found gear, and farm with it, but it will hardly be the best for the slot unless you are mighty lucky.

People who think you don't need the AH to get the best sound like bandwagon defensiveness, nothing personal.

Toma

You know, a lot of people complain about d3, but at the end of the game, most people that bought it put in a good 30 or so hours. Just sayin.

And? I expected to get 1000 out of it, like I did with Diablo 2. So they met about 3% of my expectation. Just to stay in your metaphor.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Sure.

xeld3uguff.png

You know, a lot of people complain about d3, but at the end of the game, most people that bought it put in a good 30 or so hours. Just sayin.

Compared to hundreds or thousands of hours with D2. Just sayin'.

I'm sorry, but that is a lie.

I'm happily farming MP7 Alkaizer runs with my Paragon 13 WD, never used AH or RMAH. And I'm pretty terrible at the game. I don't want to defend the game - I think the RMAH is a terrible idea (not the AH though, that's just expected as a standard feature in games like this these days). The plot is terrible, there isn't enough content. Very reminiscent of D2 before xpac. I'm seriously hoping Blizz gets a D3 xpac out before Xmas, the game *needs* it badly.

My main point: it's possible to get much enjoyment out of the game, ignoring the AH/RMAH. And you *can* ignore it. I don't get why some people don't want to though.

inm8num2

I'm glad

fuck Diablo 3, may this teach Blizzard a lesson they'll never forget.

Yea...not going to happen, especially when the loyal fanbase is so huge.

EA, Blizzard, Activision...they can shit all over their customers and those people will just keep coming back for more, wallet in hand ready to pre-order regardless of strings attached.

Zertez

Not sure why some are surprised by this, things like this happen time to time with patches, no matter the game. I dont know if it is because it is D3 and Blizzard, so they are held to a higher level of standard that other games get away with, but this isnt the first or last time something like this will happen. Even D2 had several game breaking bugs that needed emergency patches. I can remember one patch that caused high level runes to drop at a much higher rate than usual, that forced them push out a patch quickly to address the issues. Anytime they release a sizable patch, expect them to release another patch soon after.

MMO's are known for needing emergency patches due to gold/gear dropping at higher rates, gold duping, rare mobs spawning constantly with their best items dropping every time, great items dropping off trash mobs, the list is a mile long for screw ups.

EQ was a big culprit for releasing a patch with many game breaking issues that forced them to bring the server down for an emergency patch. Some patch nights the game would go out every other hour because people would find bug after bug. The best thing about the emergency patches was rare spawns would spawn again after you just killed them, you could kill the spawns multiple times in one day without having to wait a week. Now bugs that hurt the player took a week to fix, but any bug that benefited the player was fixed within hours and some of the nastiest bugs brought the game down within minutes of discovery. That is why many guilds/raiders and players would play all day on patch day due to finding bugs like this.

I understand why many people are upset with D3 after the horrible launch, but with the patches and changes over the past year, D3 has turned into a good game that is very fun to play imo. I have played countless hours with D3 after they address many of the serious issues. Since the bad launch and Jay Wilson leaving for another position in the company, the game has rebounded quickly after many much needed changes/updates imo. The game doesnt have the same fan base as it did during the first month, but there is still a healthy community.

Hopefully some of the upset fan base will give the game another chance especially when the expansion comes out. If they continue to fix and address the player issues, I expect the game to be close to D2 LoD with re-playability that keeps people hooked for years. I guess I feel a little different because I avoided the game the first two weeks due to server problems, but subtracting the cost of the CE, I have made a little over a thousand dollars selling items I couldnt use for my class/build. It is much tougher to sell things now for me, but even still it is nice when you can make over 100 from a rare drop. D3 still has its problem, but for me I havent played another recent game in the genre that is as much fun as D3, outside of D2. I have played hundreds of hours in D2, and I expect D3 will end up with similar play time. I dont care for PVP, so Im not really letdown by the lack of PVP and the arena they promised.

I really want to love Diablo 3, cuz I love the art style, and the combat feels SO GOOD compared to it's competitors like Torchlight. Everything about the RMAH disgusts me, though
KuGsj.gif

MoxManiac

People do realize that if the RMAH didnt exist, people would simply do the real money exchanges outside of the client like diablo 2?

And people would be trying to dupe stuff regardless.

Dahbomb

So how many people here actually acquired "best in slot" items for D2 without trading? This is such a lame argument being used here especially when 3-4 slots in this game you can't get the best of from trading/AH.

You can beat the game on Hardcore Inferno with just the stuff you find in the game without ever using the AH or trading. The loot drop rate has improved greatly from when the game first came out.

Card Boy

Banned
People do realize that if the RMAH didnt exist, people would simply do the real money exchanges outside of the client like diablo 2?

And people would be trying to dupe stuff regardless.

This isn't an issue and some people do this in Path of Exile. Also your forgetting drop rates in D3 where and are balanced around the RMAH.

Rubius

In the total time of D2 yes but D2 took an expansion to be come what it was, I think D3 will be looked at way more positive by the time of the first expansion.

Yeah, I will probably buy the Mist of Xiansai expansion when it comes out.

crozier

Makes me happy I only played through the game once on PC. What a broken mess the economy thing turned out to be. Plus I couldn't be arsed to farm like D2 considering you had to play through the entire thing again...

I will be buying it for the PS3 or PS4, though.

So how many people here actually acquired "best in slot" items for D2 without trading? This is such a lame argument being used here especially when 3-4 slots in this game you can't get the best of from trading/AH.

You can beat the game on Hardcore Inferno with just the stuff you find in the game without ever using the AH or trading. The loot drop rate has improved greatly from when the game first came out.

I acquired all my best in slot items in D2 without trading.

by botting, the only want to play D2

AlexBasch

What does this means for the single player, regular guys like me?

Honest question. Haven't played it in like two weeks but I'm curious.

MrDaravon

Was about to post this. Also SHIT JUST GOT REAL because Inigo Montoya just got banned while on his livestream a few minutes ago; he was one of the people publically exploiting it on stream. Also there are reports of paypal rollbacks occuring.

Say what you will about anything else, I am going to be legitimately impressed if they actually pull this off without doing a full rollback. It's fucked that it happened, but good on them for not fucking over everyone if true.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wow.

If that much gold doesn't get rollbacked (I've seen possible screens indicating exploiters gaining hundreds of billions or even into trillions), the market is going to be insane for the foreseeable future, especially if they've used that gold and spread it around to the sellers of top rolled items.

But at the same time, there's almost no way they can do a full rollback with how many transactions have likely been taking place.

Shit must be/have been getting real over at Blizz right now.

Etnos

Banned
I don't know I might be one of the few (1 million players a day - 3 unique million players month) that enjoy D3 and literary gives no fucks about wether people waste or earn lots of real money in the Action House...

Diablo 3 is still by far the best Action RPG there is out there.

Top Bottom