• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tabris is calling for 8, Revenant and several other Canucks fans have agreed that 3-5 would be adequate, especially if the story of Keith saying how "he'll get Daniel" is true, and considering that it most likely WAS a retalition-hit.

Daniel's hit wasn't late, it was with his elbow tucked in and it also hit the body. Keith's hit was with his elbow OUT, the puck was like 3m above Daniel, and he ONLY hit the head, and with Daniel's hit from earlier malicious intent can't be ruled out.

So yeah, that's why Sportsnet only talks about the Keith hit.

"I didn't say it wasn't a filthy hit."

I also didn't say he shouldn't be suspended. 7+ is ridiculous, however.

I'd be amazed if he got anything more than 3, regardless of if he deserves 3-5. As for the story about Keith saying "I'll get you", it doesn't really matter what Henrik heard if a ref didn't.

Ignoring the Keith hit, the Canucks played pretty well. Luongo was solid and Raymond actually did something (protip: scratch him more often).

If they play like they did tonight for their remaining games they'll be fine when the playoffs start.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dastardly Jerks said:
Who is this stud?

Matthew Dumba, should go in the top 10 and is compared to Subban with some more defensive sense, and is one of the better offensive hybrid D in the draft.

Seems like a good choice but I'm wondering if he's capable of making a hit during transition w/o leaving his feet? Couple of dirty ones in there.

Funny enough, the next few Google results in his name included news articles about being suspended :lol

Hope he leaves the dirty shit out of his game yet keeps the physicality.

Possible NHL.com future headline for when he gets his first NHL suspension: Dumb and Dumba

Funny enough, the next few Google results in his name included news articles about being suspended :lol

Possible NHL.com future headline for when he gets his first NHL suspension: Dumb or Dumba

Oh god. Still waiting on "Oduya think I am?!" if Oduya wins a playoff game in OT.

Possible NHL.com future headline for when he gets his first NHL suspension: Dumb or Dumba

I'm sure a good d coordinator could get him to leave it out of his game. That said I don't want him in the west so leave him to the canes god damnit.

The mere sight of first seeing Scott Neidermayer at training camp will instil the Spirit of Good™ within him.

Eh, look at me getting ahead of myself... Who's to say Barstool will even pick him.

Boudreau said:
Now comes the easy part - Boston

Cannot. fkn. wait.

Why the hell are the Sportsnet guys talking about Keith getting suspended and not Sedin for doing the exact same thing?
1. Sedin did not do anything close to "the exact same thing". Sedin's hit was completely legal under the NHL's guidelines of incidental head contact when the the body is still targeted (I can track down the video guidelines for this if you'd like).

Keith, possibly looking for retribution, targeted Sedin's head with his elbow when Sedin was nowhere near playing the puck.

Keith should definitely get at least 3 games for it. There's speculation that Shanahan won't make a decision ASAP since the Hawks don't have another game anytime soon, so the severity of how Sedin's concussion plays out could factor into it as well.

Red_Man

In his weekly 30 thoughts article for this week, Elliot Friedman mentioned that both Oilers and Jackets are considering moving their 1st round picks, and that this Radulov scenario has some management around the league scared the same could happen to the top picks in this draft.

Socreges

Banned
I didn't say it wasn't a filthy hit. Sportsnet always gets up in arms about every hit that's even borderline, and the fact that people are calling for 7+ games is ridiculous. Vancouver fans always overreact to everything, and so does Sportsnet.

It was an absolutely disgusting play. But 7+ games? :lol
"I didn't say it wasn't a filthy hit."

I also didn't say he shouldn't be suspended. 7+ is ridiculous, however.

I'd be amazed if he got anything more than 3, regardless of if he deserves 3-5. As for the story about Keith saying "I'll get you", it doesn't really matter what Henrik heard if a ref didn't.
I thought we all agreed that Tabris' opinion is always worthless, much less representative of anyone but himself?

Anyway, I totally agree with your last bit.

Marvie_3

Banned
Bill Daly was telling Steven Brunt and Bob McCown (sp?) yesterday that - if you cut out all his humming and hawing - the Phoenix experiment is all but finished.

Dreger's tweet is ridiculous. Seattle? Yea, I'd like to see it happen, but there isn't even a suitable venue planned yet to accommodate a NBA team, let alone a NHL one. Key Arena is a complete dump.

Vegas? Kansas City? My gosh, those names are still being thrown around?

Quebec is the only viable option for the league. I'd be shocked if Bettman manages to bungle it.
Exactly. The other cities are only being named to create fake demand and keep the price high.

CCF23

Henrik Sedin:

...on Keith threatening Daniel before the hit: "You have to ask Keith. He's a tough Canadian guy so I am sure he is going to be honest."

more comments: "It's one of those hits where things were said before from a certain guy and he did what he wanted to do and that's too bad, but again, they are the tough team over there and we're the diving bunch so I guess there's not much to say about that."

Red_Man

Only 3 points ahead of Edmonton after tonight woooooooo
T7VkZ.gif

Fixed.

If Phoenix had moved to Winnipeg last year, Atlanta would be in Quebec right now. The Thrashers were gone no matter what. It was just a matter of where they were going.

Would have also made the entire realignment thing a little easier. I still refuse to believe this wasn't part of why the relocation get shelved. Everyone has known for a while now that Phoenix wasn't going to stay put. It didn't make sense to approve one, then have to re-do it.

Hell, if they want, the league should expand two teams to Seattle and KC. Solves the 7/8 team thing.

Socreges

Banned
Wooooo can't wait for the Seattle/Vancouver riva--

Dreger's tweet is ridiculous. Seattle? Yea, I'd like to see it happen, but there isn't even a suitable venue planned yet to accommodate a NBA team, let alone a NHL one. Key Arena is a complete dump.

Vegas? Kansas City? My gosh, those names are still being thrown around?

Quebec is the only viable option for the league. I'd be shocked if Bettman manages to bungle it.
disappointment.gif

One day, Seattle Ferries. One day.

Marvie_3

Banned
Would have also made the entire realignment thing a little easier. I still refuse to believe this wasn't part of why the relocation get shelved. Everyone has known for a while now that Phoenix wasn't going to stay put. It didn't make sense to approve one, then have to re-do it.

Hell, if they want, the league should expand two teams to Seattle and KC. Solves the 7/8 team thing.
This had nothing to do with realignment getting shelved.

KC? Never. There is no owner there and nobody in KC gives enough of a fuck about hockey to warrant putting an NHL team there. The new arena down there is only going to be used as bargaining leverage by the NHL to threaten other cities who are hesitant to build new arenas for current teams.

This had nothing to do with realignment getting shelved.

KC? Never. There is no owner there and nobody in KC gives enough of a fuck about hockey to warrant putting an NHL team there. The new arena down there is only going to be used as bargaining leverage by the NHL to threaten other cities who are hesitant to build new arenas for current teams.

The prospect had to have been in the back of everyone's mind. Of course it was nowhere near the main reason for the proposal falling through, but why would they even bother to approve something when a team would be moving from Phoenix to Quebec? It wouldn't make any sense, and would just create more work in the future.

I'm aware KC isn't a good place to be. They don't even support their baseball team as it is (though I can't say I blame them). But if the NHL is looking at it even somewhat seriously and giving it even an ounce of consideration, it would be a quick fix to the divisions being unbalanced with the realignment.

Not like they're afraid of putting franchises in cities that clearly wouldn't support a team. They seem to enjoy it, in fact.

Goddamnit, stop distracting me from my paper that's due in ~8 hours, thread.

Marvie_3

Banned
The prospect had to have been in the back of everyone's mind. Of course it was nowhere near the main reason for the proposal falling through, but why would they even bother to approve something when a team would be moving from Phoenix to Quebec? It wouldn't make any sense, and would just create more work in the future.
The realignment plan was already factoring in Phoenix moving. There were 16 teams in the 2 westernmost conferences and only 14 in the eastern ones. There would be almost no work moving Phoenix to the "east"

I know the fucking rule, Mike. Sedin targets the head when he lifts his shoulder into it. It's different from any of those hits.

The realignment plan was already factoring in Phoenix moving. There were 16 teams in the 2 westernmost conferences and only 14 in the eastern ones. There would be almost no work moving Phoenix to the "east"

Ah, I must have misremembered. I thought there was a 7 and an 8 team conference in each for some reason.

Marvie_3

Banned
Gracias.

I still don't see how the hell they're going to write off two seven team divisions and two eight team divisions as fair.

Expansion will be thrown in by the NHL to get the NHLPA to agree to a lower % of revenue in the CBA talks. It'll end up being 4 conferences of 8 teams.

That's a dirty hit. He lifts his shoulder into Keith's head.

Yep. Keith had played the puck and Sedin had time to lay off the hit and never did, but instead stared Keith down the entire time and lifted his shoulder into his head. That absolutely looked like targeted intent to the head and to hurt Keith. If Sedin didn't, he wouldn't have made effort to lift his shoulder into Keith and kept the arm low.

Sedin, suspended for one game (well, when he is healthy...). Keith, suspended for three. Sedin likely wouldn't have been elbowed by Keith had that dirty hit not have happened. Regardless, Keith fucked up and he deserves a suspension and I see it being a three game suspension.

Expansion will be thrown in by the NHL to get the NHLPA to agree to a lower % of revenue in the CBA talks. It'll end up being 4 conferences of 8 teams.

Right, but if you don't think KC is a viable option, where will they expand to?

Vegas is a laughable option. Seattle would work, but where else? Unless they want to give Atlanta a third team. :lol

Tabris

Dirty hit? It's a full body hit with incidental contact to the head. I can bring up that kind of hit at least a couple times a week during games. You guys are delusional. Trying to justify a scumbag like Duncan Keith by making up a "dirty hit".

Same kind of hit like this (which made me mad at first but it was just an unfortunate occurrence) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DhHejqQcg

Those things just happen during a game. What Duncan Keith did was a pre-mediated ELBOW to the head. There is not a single thing about that which is incidental contact, it's full on contact with an elbow.

It should have been a 2 minute minor due to the late hit.

Dirty hit? It's a full body hit with incidental contact to the head. I can bring up that kind of hit at least a couple times a week during games. You guys are delusional. Trying to justify a scumbag like Duncan Keith by making up a "dirty hit".

Same kind of hit like this (which made me mad at first but it was just an unfortunate occurrence) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9DhHejqQcg

Those things just happen during a game. What Duncan Keith did was a pre-mediated ELBOW to the head. There is not a single thing about that which is incidental contact, it's full on contact with an elbow.

It should have been a 2 minute minor due to the late hit.

Where the hell is anyone trying to justify the hit? Everyone I've seen point out the Sedin hit as dirty either prefaces it by saying that Keith's hit still wasn't justified, or said such afterwards.

You're the only delusional one here if you think otherwise.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yep. Keith had played the puck and Sedin had time to lay off the hit and never did, but instead stared Keith down the entire time and lifted his shoulder into his head. That absolutely looked like targeted intent to the head and to hurt Keith.

Sedin, suspended for one game (well, when he is healthy...). Keith, suspended for three. Sedin likely wouldn't have been elbowed by Keith had that dirty hit not have happened. Regardless, Keith fucked up and he deserves a suspension and I see it being a three game suspension.
Sedin probably won't get anything. A small fine at the very max. Keith will get 2-3.
Right, but if you don't think KC is a viable option, where will they expand to?

Vegas is a laughable option. Seattle would work, but where else? Unless they want to give Atlanta a third team. :lol
Seattle, Houston, Milwaukee. I think the NHL eventually ends up like this:

ibq9G5WHsYfmO3.PNG

Atlanta won't get another team for a very long time, if ever.

Gone: Florida, Phoenix, Columbus

New: Seattle, Houston, Milwaukee, Hamilton, Quebec City

Ah, Hamilton. That's the one I couldn't quite place.

Seattle would be a great potential market, I think. Not sure if Texas could hold another team. Houston is already pretty saturated with the Texans and Astros. I'm not sure there would be much of an appetite for hockey. The Rockets already struggle (25th in attendance in the NBA).

Milwaukee also would make a lot of sense. That state has a huge high school hockey base, and I don't understand why the NHL hasn't tried to tap into it already.

Hamilton/QC don't really need to be addressed.

Unfortunately, Bettman would find a way to fuck everything up.

Man I'm bummed I missed tonight's game (and discussion)... it seems like I missed out on a doozy. It sucks to see dirty hits from both sides though, for real

Y'know what? I really hope that becomes a thing. Two more teams in viable hockey markets would really be something.

I'm guessing Seattle and another Canadian team. Ontario or Saskatchewan even. Canadian teams are absolute money in the bank and fantastic additions to Canadian culture. Ultimately I'd like to see hockey spread more to a US market so that it becomes even MORE appealing to overseas markets as the US cultural influences spread, such as Australia (yeah, I know, really loose and silly reason to want a US expansion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom