• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

Sadsic

This confirms the leaked picture. Someone please post the pic from the miiverse hack?

yoshiu.jpg

Looks great, really does. Nintendo's typical art style was always going to translate to HD really, really well.

Bring on the Mario!

I'm honestly slightly underwhelmed. It looks far too similar to Kirby's Epic Yarn. I think they could have done so much more, and the gameplay unfortunately looks as dull as the aforementioned game.

I'm hoping that there is more to it.

Are people really crediting LBP for the yarn aesthetic? I know it's been pointed out, but Yoshi's Story has it beat by like a decade. Anyway, the game looks pretty, but the difficuly/level design will be the deciding factor between a day one purchase and a price slash purchase. My feelings are mixed. As a sucker for side scrolling platformers I'm interested, but obviously this isn't as exciting as an internally developed game. Even among the companies Nintendo outsources these types of games to I find Tose more competent than Good Feel. My biggest concern is that the level design will be too vanilla based on the dev's track record.

Another small gripe- If you're going to make a spritual sucessor to Yoshi's Story why not use fruit as the collectable? I am down with the Epic Yarn-like aestetic, but they should be going out of their way to assure people this isn't just a repurposed Kirby game.

Another small gripe- If you're going to make a spritual sucessor to Yoshi's Story why not use fruit as the collectable? I am down with the Epic Yarn-like aestetic, but they should be going out of their way to assure people this isn't just a repurposed Kirby game.

Have you ever tried to get a fruit juice stain out of a sweater?

udivision

Between DK, Kirby, Mario, and and now Yoshi, I don't see the problem in tiering the games by difficulty (Hardest-DK, Medium-Mario, Yoshi, Easy-Kirby), as long as they all have their redeeming qualities.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How did I miss this thread?

I don't care about whether or not it's going to be easy or whatever. I've been looking forward to a new Yoshi game for a while. Yoshi's Island DS doesn't count. I think it looks gosh darn adorable.

And I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn. Coming home to that game, putting on flannel jammies, making some hot cocoa, and wrapping myself in a faux wool blanket to play it to relax was absolutely wonderful.

It's hard to imagine this game was first predicted pre-TGS 2011.

That list of rumors was basically 100% accurate.

WHAT LIST? :eek: The one that had Bayonetta 2, Bayonetta CG movie, Monster Hunter Tri G 3DS, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD and etc before they were revealed? That one?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cool, I really dug Kirby's Epic Yarn - at least in terms of art style - and I've been hoping Nintendo would take the "yarn" motif and apply it to other franchises (Yarn Zelda next please!). This looks pretty fun.

Rubius

I hope it retains the score attack-y nature of Yoshi's Story. It's the reason I loved Yoshi's Story.

Well Kirby Epic Yarn was score attack too. You could die for an infinite amount of time, kinda like you could lose baby Mario an infinite amount of time. But to get the best score you had to not get hit and pick up every gem you could find.
And all the Yoshi games were score attack games, like Yoshi Story, where you "could" eat all the fruits, but to get the best score, you had to eat only melons. And the DS game was like the SNES game.
Cool, I really dug Kirby's Epic Yarn - at least in terms of art style - and I've been hoping Nintendo would take the "yarn" motif and apply it to other franchises (Yarn Zelda next please!). This looks pretty fun.

nintendo-land.jpg

Already done.

Ranger X

I'm deceived except the fact the concept of the game seems to be about having multiple distinct artstyles.

But this game wanted to be "painted look" like those NSMBU poison jungle backgrounds.

Teknoman

If this game is at least as challenging as Return to Dreamland or NSMBU, and with a 2nd harder remixed mode, im in.

And none of that "only one stage in a world per run" type stuff.

leroidys

Those graphics are gorgeous. I would have preferred YI3, but if this can build on Epic Yarn's foundation than I'm OK with this too.

farnham

Banned
Are people really crediting LBP for the yarn aesthetic? I know it's been pointed out, but Yoshi's Story has it beat by like a decade. Anyway, the game looks pretty, but the difficuly/level design will be the deciding factor between a day one purchase and a price slash purchase. My feelings are mixed. As a sucker for side scrolling platformers I'm interested, but obviously this isn't as exciting as an internally developed game. Even among the companies Nintendo outsources these types of games to I find Tose more competent than Good Feel. My biggest concern is that the level design will be too vanilla based on the dev's track record.

Good feel made epic yarn and wario land shake it. Both games are very competent the latter might even be top 10 material

I guess this is pretty stupidly nitpicky because I really do love the look of this and the idea of this and all, but I see that pic and I'm like ARGH WHY ISN'T HIS YARN BODY MODELED LIKE YARN, IT'S CLEARLY JUST A TEXTURE ON SPHERES.

Good feel made epic yarn and wario land shake it. Both games are very competent the latter might even be top 10 material
I didn't say they weren't competent, just that Tose is more competent. And for the record, Shake It! is decent (at its best when you're speedrunning a level imo), but for me it's a pretty middle tier game within the series. I don't even know that I'd put it in my top 10 platformers of the generation.

Brera

Banned
I let out an audible sigh when I saw that Yoshi was 2D and made of yarn, but these other screenshots with 3D Yoshi are giving me hope! More stuff like this please, but in 3D:

Yoshi's%20Story%20(U)%20(M2).png

600full-yoshi's-story-screenshot.jpg

Please, no Yoshi's Epic Yarn!

And stop hating on Yoshi's Story you old farts!

F-U?

You weren't there in 1998. Loading up Yoshi's Story, salivating at the awesome looking graphics and AWESEOM music only to realise how FUCKING AWEFUL the game was!

It was like a kick in the balls. Probably the biggest bait and switch betryalton in gaming history.

Awesome music is in my head.

da da daa da da.

F-U?

You weren't there in 1998. Loading up Yoshi's Story, salivating at the awesome looking graphics and AWESEOM music only to realise how FUCKING AWEFUL the game was!

It was like a kick in the balls. Probably the biggest bait and switch betryalton in gaming history.

Awesome music is in my head.

da da daa da da.
I'll always remember that day. My balls still hurt from it...

Himself

I enjoyed Kirbys Epic Yarn (more than DKCR, less than Rayman Origins), but it looks like I still won't be getting a true sequel to my favorite game of all time with this one either. It looks way too early in development to make any sort of final judgement though so we'll see what happens.

Kind of beside the point but I feel like Rayman Origins is the closest thing we ever got to a 2D successor to Yoshi's Island.

Rubius

I hear it's bad a lot, but how so?

Is it too easy? Like, Epic Yarn easy...?

The game is a score attack game where you have to eat 30 fruits to finish the level. To get the max score you have to find the 30 melons in the stage. There is no end to the level and you have to search for fruits to eat. That also mean that you can finish any stage easily by eating all the fruits you see.

The game was okay I would say.

The game is a score attack game where you have to eat 30 fruits to finish the level. To get the max score you have to find the 30 melons in the stage. There is no end to the level and you have to search for fruits to eat. That also mean that you can finish any stage easily by eating all the fruits you see.

Oh, so it's (on a broad level) like Yoshi's Touch and Go. Being score attack. But it looked like it might be a new Yoshi's Island so people are all argh.

Rubius

Oh, so it's (on a broad level) like Yoshi's Touch and Go. Being score attack. But it looked like it might be a new Yoshi's Island so people are all argh.

Pretty much. People wanted a platformer with a score attack on the side. They got a pure score attack that was too easy if you didnt went for the highscore.

Also that song is in your dreams until you die.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXRGYaOfeY

You should try it, the mechanic is really Yoshi story esque.

Brera

Banned

Okay?

I get Nintendo were trying something new but they should have experimented on and raped Kirby or some of their other B Tier dudes.

Not Yoshi. That little guy was the Don. They killed him :-(

Top Bottom