• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Squishy3

I think YoshiP said they are going to open it back up in 4.1 because people have been requesting it.
So, to clarify: I think Yoshida said they'd be looking into opening up instanced areas like that so you could visit them again, but that's not what's happening in 4.1, we're just going to be visiting it again through the MSQ.

Arkeband

Banned
I give up on Stormblood's sightseeing logs.

These jump puzzles require accuracy and physics that this game simply doesn't have unless you're some kind of savant, and the penalties for missing a jump are far too high. I don't have 13 hours to spend biting my fingernails hoping the game registers I jumped while in full run instead of half-run when I'm standing on a tiny peg.

Whoever decided to marry jump puzzles to the sightseeing log needs to be kicked right in the nuts.

Omni

Fat Moogle Mount Giveaway!

Sorry I was a bit late on this. Fell asleep early, haha. 29 people posted screenshots which I think is really cool! The first winner is one that I chose out of all of them. Mostly because I like the colours a lot. I wish I remembered to explore this area on my first playthrough...

My entry. Such a pretty area.

ow8gCFz.jpg

And this one is one that Google chose randomly out of all the entries. Which is pretty neat!
Oh what a cool idea, thank you for it! Here is my entry:

Buttons about the save the world again. I loved the scenery here.

buttons_finalfight2lznt.png

'grats guys! I'll PM codes soon!

THANKS FOR ENTERING EVERYONE

Alfebit

Banned

Sorry I was a bit late on this. Fell asleep early, haha. 29 people posted screenshots which I think is really cool! The first winner is one that I chose out of all of them. Mostly because I like the colours a lot. I wish I remembered to explore this area on my first playthrough...

And this one is one that Google chose randomly out of all the entries. Which is pretty neat!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THANK YOU!

Resilient

You're right about that.

I usually (as a tank) do a quick group constellation analysis: how's the healer geared, will the dds be able to aoe, is there any new player, stuff like that.

I also tell people to ask questions if they're new to the content. Most of the time there's no reply though.

In my opinion the real problem is people with an aversion to communicate and treating other players like npcs or something.

"Hi, I'm new to this."/"Hi, first time for me."
"Can I do big pulls?"
"If you have any questions about this, just ask."

These are phrases you don't exactly read a lot.

Hell, even "Hi."/"Hello" and "Bye."/Good job, bye." or similar are comments some people aren't able or willing to type. It's easily doable with the auto-translation tool too.

Sounds like a shit server. Japan servers (Tonberry) are great, with polite English and Japanese players. Every dungeon I've ran has had a greeting at the start and a thanks at the end. Die? You apologise and people tell you to chill. You're new? Someone explains the tougher boss mechanics. It's great! My only bad experiences have been cross world.

mcw

I also tell people to ask questions if they're new to the content. Most of the time there's no reply though.

I'm only level 62, still haven't gotten to SB yet, but for what it's worth: In my case, I never chat in duties because I play on PS4, on a couch. Without a mouse, keyboard, and desk, chat in this game is something that I do at great peril to the party. The amount of time it takes to get into the right chat input mode, say something, and get back out is significantly longer and more error-prone. It's embarrassing when I inadvertently send flags or party instructions to FC chat, and it's humiliating when our tank dies in AV because I couldn't switch from keyboard to gamepad quickly enough to heal him. As much as I enjoy being social, the chat experience for me is so problematic that I'd honestly prefer if I could just turn off chat input entirely.

Edzi

I'm only level 62, still haven't gotten to SB yet, but for what it's worth: In my case, I never chat in duties because I play on PS4, on a couch. Without a mouse, keyboard, and desk, chat in this game is something that I do at great peril to the party. The amount of time it takes to get into the right chat input mode, say something, and get back out is significantly longer and more error-prone. It's embarrassing when I inadvertently send flags or party instructions to FC chat, and it's humiliating when our tank dies in AV because I couldn't switch from keyboard to gamepad quickly enough to heal him. As much as I enjoy being social, the chat experience for me is so problematic that I'd honestly prefer if I could just turn off chat input entirely.

Just buy a wireless physical keyboard or something and keep it next to you. IMO, there's no excuse for not communicating in a game like this.

Do you have at least a bunch of shortcuts mapped to a preset ? Basic functions like agree/disagree/luagh , disapointment, hello , congratulations should be set for at least some basic form of communication. It really helps if you don't have a keyboard nearby

mcw

IMO, there's no excuse for not communicating in a game like this.

Even if we don't have the same setup, I feel like my perspective is valid, but I guess you don't agree. I don't know what to tell you.

Do you have at least a bunch of shortcuts mapped to a preset ? Basic functions like agree/disagree/luagh , disapointment, hello , congratulations should be set for at least some basic form of communication. It really helps if you don't have a keyboard nearby

Yes, the emotes are tremendously helpful. I have a hotbar just for the ones I use commonly. They're insufficient for conversation about mechanics, unfortunately.

Leunam

Even if we don't have the same setup, I feel like my perspective is valid, but I guess you don't agree. I don't know what to tell you.

It really takes no time to hit /p enter or /fc enter to switch chat channels. And most mechanics, I'd say even all, have some sort of short form term you could call out. Tethers, adds, stack, spread, those all come out easy enough.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Yes, the emotes are tremendously helpful. I have a hotbar just for the ones I use commonly. They're insufficient for conversation about mechanics, unfortunately.

Of course if you want to have the social experience your going to have to put a bit of effort and $$$ on your part if you want to have easier access to that on PS4.

I started the game on PS3 and like you I also had an issue communicating with other players so I went out and bought a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and I have been using that same keyboard to this day. Im on PS4 now and sadly when I moved I had to leave behind the Desk I was using before so I bought a Table Mate II Folding TV Tray from Amazon so I can use it to rest my keyboard while I play on the couch.

Now YES you do have to put your controller down to type something on the keyboard so it all comes down on your reflex and typing speed how fast you can type something before putting the controller back on your hands to play.

There's also two alternative to my suggestions above if you don't like the disconnect between playing with a controller and typing with a keyboard but it requires more practice and muscle memory. The first alternative option you have is that you better learn how to type using while using the PS4's digital Keyboard WITH the Gyro!! Yep start learning how to type with the gyro and you will be impress how fast you can type once you have it down to memory.

The second alternative you have is to buy a qwerty Bluetooth Keyboard for the PS4 Controller and use that to type and it's an option I myself would have considered if I wasn't too lazy to bother learning how to type with a qwerty keyboard. Now after looking around Amazon these sort of keyboards are hit and miss in terms of quality/functionality and the highest rated one is out of stock at the moment ( Gamers Digital Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for PlayStation 4 ) so I guess the next best option would be their other newly listed item (Which lol also has a mention of FFXIV in one of the reviews)

Backlit Wireless Keyboard For PS4, PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim Controllers
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VQQNB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't know what you will decide to do in the end regarding your communication issue but good luck and enjoy the game nonetheless.

Hey question, what's the quicker way to level up a healer from 61. Run just the first boss of sirensong or just run through it all?

I've seen some party finder asking for first boss runs. What do you do, kill the boss and then vote abandon?

Also any Astro healer guides/tips? First time healer, ran some roulettes (got qarn normal and hard and stone vigil) but I feel kinda iffy still. No one died but I feel like I babied the tank and then when I attack it was like Jesus they are low gotta essential!

Specifically when to attack, when to heal. What to shoot for cards wise: Aoe balance or just double duration bole on tank aka taking what I get. Should I feel like a dots turret in main story roulette? haha

My lack of familiarity with dungeons shine now makes me want to just go through all the dungeons one by one again just so I don't feel like "damn I don't remember anything" when I do a roulette!

Buttons

Oh wow, thank you so much! I'll enter the code once I get home from work tonight. What a nice surprise to start the day with :)

yaffi

Sounds like a shit server. Japan servers (Tonberry) are great, with polite English and Japanese players. Every dungeon I've ran has had a greeting at the start and a thanks at the end. Die? You apologise and people tell you to chill. You're new? Someone explains the tougher boss mechanics. It's great! My only bad experiences have been cross world.

I'm mostly talking roulette and stuff. So you can't really blame it on the server.

What I meant to say is I'd love people to be more talkative, not that everyone's an asshole or something.

I'm not playing on console, so I can't relate I guess. But if I had to, I'd probably make some basic macros with "Hi!"/"Well done, bye!" and "Hi first time. I'd like a basic rundown of boss mechanics, please." Something like that. Also the auto-translation tool auto completes sentences. Emotes work as well, as others mentioned.

I'm not saying I want people to spend extra money so they can communicate with me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
We're starting to see GC Omega more consistently now. We just need to learn it and then after that, it's all cleanup.

Happened to two of my static with both Harvey and Irma. It isn't too big a deal, O4S is clearable with 330.
My group hasn't been hurt by the hurricanes so far, but we're in a similar loot situation because we're drowning in caster/ninja gear when we don't have a ninja, or healer/tank dupes. Our caster is decked the fuck out and we've gotten maybe... one physical DPS/slaying gear piece of any sort since this tier started.

I've been trying to give more upgrade items to our melees to make up for it, but it's become a running joke for us this tier.

I've had godlike luck this tier, been 340 for like 3 weeks now.

Only thing I've had bad luck on is the mount. 50% chance of getting it tonight tho as there's only 1 other person in my static who still needs it :D

iammeiam

tfw your BiS has multiple pentamelded crafted pieces. I'm going to be 336 until 4.2 since crafted belt/wrist and BiS rings being tome ring and upgraded time ring. I have a couple of sidegrades I could do to get better DPS stats in place of raid drops, but I'm not in a super hurry. Having to page out the chest and legs was a bummer, since the legs used the pages I'd have used to twine out my sidegrades.

I do kind of plan to end up with all the gear pieces eventually largely because I don't know what comp Super Savage will work best for or how much piety I'll need. So I'm doing Crit/DHit meme melds on the main set, and then will probably go SS/Piety on the 'bad' pieces for disaster PFs and Super Savage.

B.K.

I did V2S with Mizzteq's team. I wonder if they were streaming and how many people saw how bad I was. Of course, I forgot to equip Shirk before the fight. I was afraid I would wipe during the tank swaps.

Omni

Got the healer chest in v4s

this week was our 8th clear too, so that worked out well. Didn't have to use my pages! Bought the ninja daggers instead. AST/SCH are now 339. Just need a bracelet next week and I'll be dooooooone

maybe I should grab a WHM cane at some point hmmm

Bebpo

Banned
Trying to understand how Savage gear drops work. Initially I thought it was like normal mode where you collect tokens like pages and trade for gear after so many weeks. Then I found out about chests today (didn't find out when I did V1S because I guess the group I was with had more than 5 people who'd already cleared for the week so there was no chest).

Ok, so if no one's done it for the week = 2 chests appear with random gear from a certain slot. Like V1S has accessories and belts drop. If one person's done it already for the week but fewer than 5 people = 1 chest and more than 5 people = 0 chests.

I also read something that says you only get one chance to roll on a chest for a week each stage? So if there's 2 chests and 6 people don't get anything, those 6 people can't roll on that stage for a week even if they replay the stage and there is another chest, even though they didn't win the roll on the first time?

If so, what's the point of anyone doing it more than once per week? They get their pages the first run (and can't get anymore pages for another week) and get their only shot at a chest drop. On second or more runs they get nothing and only screw over people who are doing it for their first time that week because there will be either 1 or 0 chests when people who've cleared it join.

Otoh, if I'm reading this wrong and you can keep rolling on the chests until you get something for the week, it still makes it so players who've cleared once for the week but didn't win their roll keep joining other parties with players who haven't cleared it for the week and bring their chest count down to 1 or 0 depending on how many.

Doesn't sound well thought out?

Sorian

Banned
Most people do only do it once a week. Anyone doing it more than once is usually helping someone out of kindness and that's it. That's how top level gear works in MMOs, it's to prevent people from getting the best stuff in like a week or two.

Bebpo

Banned
Most people do only do it once a week. Anyone doing it more than once is usually helping someone out of kindness and that's it. That's how top level gear works in MMOs, it's to prevent people from getting the best stuff in like a week or two.

I don't understand why it can't just be like Omega normal? That keeps people from getting i320 gear in a week or two, and still takes ~1.5-2 months. But it also doesn't have any of these weird rules. You can keep redoing the raids and rolling until you get win 1 item for the week.

I guess it just feels like this system punishes new players because it seems like most of the pf groups will have at least 1 person whose already cleared for the week if not 5+ people in the party so the new players clearing for the first time won't have a chest and won't get loot and will get screwed and have to wait out the 6 weeks or so for gear through page drops (which I think takes about 18 weeks? So 4 months+).

Ken

At least we get pages now. And food that doesn't expire with each wipe.

^Just make sure you join 2 chest groups and hope the party leader isn't bamboozling anyone or misses the cleared message. Though even getting 2 chests doesn't guarantee you leave with more than a page.

Sorian

Banned
I don't understand why it can't just be like Omega normal? That keeps people from getting i320 gear in a week or two, and still takes ~1.5-2 months. But it also doesn't have any of these weird rules. You can keep redoing the raids and rolling until you get win 1 item for the week.

I guess it just feels like this system punishes new players because it seems like most of the pf groups will have at least 1 person whose already cleared for the week if not 5+ people in the party so the new players clearing for the first time won't have a chest and won't get loot and will get screwed and have to wait out the 6 weeks or so for gear through page drops.

High level raiding is meant to foster statics (raiding with the same group of people from week to week). For those that pf, they purposely put in the description whether it is a two chest or one chest run so that's a moot point, if someone lies, it tells the entire group before even entering.

The point from the dev perspective is for you to get gear extremely slowly the normal system is also conducive to running each turn tons of time each week which no one wants to do. When progressing, you want to blast through the fights you've already beaten so you can get to the one you are practicing, not dick around clearing V1S 5 times because everyone wants a pedal or whatever.

Thorgal

Damn I wasn gonna PF Omega 1.0 Normal tonight but is that gonna be a fruitless effort gear wise? Or do I get the pages that I trade?

Normal works differently

It is still on a weekly lockout but you can run each floor as many times as you want until you get the gear, pedal or shaft you want.

Only after getting an item does it Lock out rewards.

iammeiam

For those that pf, they purposely put in the description whether it is a two chest or one chest run so that's a moot point, if someone lies, it tells the entire group before even entering.

For some reason it doesn't tell the group if it's a no-chest or one-chest run before entering the instance anymore. You basically have to rely on the party leader ticking the 'duty completion' box in RF (as far as I know the PF one does nothing) to prevent queueing in with an already cleared person. I'm not 100% sure on the timing, but I think it changed to this when they went from needing to queue in via an NPC to having everything go through Raid Finder.

It's largely annoying because the leading cause of accidental one chests seems to be people who don't understand how the floor lockout works and went in a later floor before getting their weekly for a prior.

kaze343

It really takes no time to hit /p enter or /fc enter to switch chat channels. And most mechanics, I'd say even all, have some sort of short form term you could call out. Tethers, adds, stack, spread, those all come out easy enough.

even better, you dont need to type /p or /fc. just hit alt+f for fc or alt+p for party. lets you have one chat as your active one, and switches over to the one you selected for what you want to type. once done, it goes back to the one you had active.
dont know if this is just me, but in a game where you will run into other people, having an easy means of communication is huge. and from the sounds of it, a keyboard would fix your issue of chat being problematic.

I have a question since i don't party finder ( i have a group of friend for such content ) and i've never odne party finder. i do use the roulettes however .

What's with that 1 chest rule or 2 chest rule i see written above ? Is it so that the group does the event untill everyone has 2 chest worth of gear/content ?

Squishy3

if 1-4 people have already cleared a floor of savage for the week, only 1 chest drops. if 0 people have cleared for the week, 2 chests drop. if 5-8 people have cleared, no chests drop.

if 1-4 people have already cleared a floor of savage for the week, only 1 chest drops. if 0 people have cleared for the week, 2 chests drop. if 5-8 people have cleared, no chests drop.

Really ? i didn't know . I don't do Savage content .

That's really arch when people want to get some content with the same group of people

Squishy3

Really ? i didn't know . I don't do Savage content .

That's really arch when people want to get some content with the same group of people
It's mainly to prevent people from gearing up too fast by just running it over and over, artifically increasing the longevity of the content, and it also serves of a way to increase the power level of groups consistently week by week assuming your group gets stuff they can use, meaning the longer you're stuck on a floor you'll get stronger and stronger each week. Additionally you can't cheese it by clearing for the week and joining a 1 chest party as you won't even see the chest drop.

Basically, way it works is 2 pieces of the gear drops straight up. 1 drops accessories, 2 drops helm, hands and feet plus an item to upgrade the Creation accessories, and also the early-model tomestone for the Creation weapon. 3 drops legs and the upgrade item for the Creation weapon and armor, and 4 drops a weapon, a coffer (which contains a weapon for the class of the person that opens it) and the chestpiece. Everyone also gets a page each week which can eventually be turned in for armor/upgrade materials.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm actually fairly sure every raid tier upon unlocking tells you again and again how the lockouts work (furthermore there's a brief summary of the same in the Raid Finder) but reading is hard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yaffi

I'm actually fairly sure every raid tier upon unlocking tells you again and again how the lockouts work (furthermore there's a brief summary of the same in the Raid Finder) but reading is hard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, it does. And yes, it is.

Apoptomon

Today in Patch 4.1 news:
Lodestone 4.1 MSQ 'preview'

Lodestone 4.1 expert dungeon 'preview' i.e. that same promo pic we saw before and... a boss?

Patch 4.1 special site featuring 'trailer coming soon', some info on MSQ, dungeon, Ivalice, and housing.

EDIT: that Return to Ivalice description:
This morning, residents of Kugane woke to find above their city an airship unlike any ever seen. Yet while of Garlean design, the vessel distinctly lacked the bleak outfitting common in the Empire's warmachina. No, this was the Prima Vista, private stage for the Majestic Imperial Theater Company─a troupe having won acclaim across Garlemald for their timeless work, ”The Zodiac Brave Story." Which begets the question...why are they here? The answer to that question and more lies in the selfsame legend of which they sing. The legend of Ivalice.
We FFIX now?

Redhood

Might as well try here.

Hello Everyone. A WHM here on Moogle, Chaos Data Centre. I am searching for a static for O3S Progression. I have been doing 1 & 2 successfully every week but am totally frustrated with PUGS in O3S. The PF advertises training for book phase and the party perishes at earlier phases a lot and by the time we manage to reach book phase someone leaves. I can consistently reach book phase if the party manages to pull through till then. The loss of progression has driven me to seek out a static and unfortunately my FC is not into Savage content.

Top Bottom