• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

...Why are there making a second sequel to the worst Final Fantasy ever?

Wait, wait... they'll make TWO sequels to horrible FF13... BUT NO SEQUEL TO 7? WHAT THE FUCK?

esserius

Banned
This is going to be the most amusingly lopsided series ever. Can't wait until XIII-4 and XIII-5 come out. It's a revolution in numeration.

Just not sure what's the next new "feature" will be for XIII-3 will be?

We already got the monster collecting in XIII-2, so what more can they add?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Wait, wait... they'll make TWO sequels to horrible FF13... BUT NO SEQUEL TO 7? WHAT THE FUCK?

VII has a sequel. And multiple prequels. And aside from that, FF II is the worst Final Fantasy ever.

VIII doesn't have any sequels.

VII has two sequels.

XIII is in no way the worst FF at all. It's a good game and it's sequel looks even better. But regardless the point of the update is that currently they are only making one sequel to the good FFXIII.

Given how much money they sunk into the sinking ship that was Final Fantasy XIV, I'm pretty sure Sqenix is convinced that they can throw money at their problems and they will just go away.

And this has what to do with XIII-2 as this is the complete opposite approach they are taking with the game?

jaxword

And aside from that, FF II is the worst Final Fantasy ever.

Final Fantasy fans are the most melodramatic, whiny groups around. EVERY new FF is the WORST FINAL FANTASY EVER...until the next one comes out and it takes that title. Most of them probably haven't even played the NES ones or even some of the SNES ones. BoobPhysics101 is no different than any other hyperbolic 15 year old who wants people to know his FF rankings.

esserius

Banned
And this has what to do with XIII-2 as this is the complete opposite approach they are taking with the game?

I rather doubt that, though I have no way of knowing the budget of FFXIII-2, I assume it's fairly absurd.

Rather, big videogame budgets are all fairly absurd.

http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-games-budgets-ever/
http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9268/Game_Development_Budget_Somewhere_Around_25_Million

Interestingly, I cannot seem to find FFXIII's budget (though I assume that as a traded company, they would make such information available).

I rather doubt that, though I have no way of knowing the budget of FFXIII-2, I assume it's fairly absurd.

Rather, big videogame budgets are all fairly absurd.

http://digitalbattle.com/2010/02/20/top-10-most-expensive-video-games-budgets-ever/
http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9268/Game_Development_Budget_Somewhere_Around_25_Million

Interestingly, I cannot seem to find FFXIII's budget (though I assume that as a traded company, they would make such information available).

Your entire point was that "oh they think they can just throw money at something and it will sell" Yet by all accounts the production of XIII-2 is not at all that. It is a focused production that isn't wasting it's time with tons of fancy cg or spending weeks making one rock. No rather it is making heavy re-use of resources, so it probably isn't at all a huge costly production like XIII. We know this because well the number of cg scenes is largly downplayed with cutscenes done in realtime and that the graphics themselves are downgraded. So no, we don't know if the production is "fairly absurd", you are just talking out of your ass there.

Beyond that, no Square is taking a different approach with this game. They have acknowledged players appointment and are actively trying to correct peoples problems with XIII. It's less linear, has more side content, more explorable, less story focused, and so on. That doesn't sound at all like "eh just throw some money at it and call it a day". So what exactly is your point?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't see how FFXIII is the worst FF game. Probably disappointing because it was developed for 4+ years and people had very high expectations from the game.

Because they can re-use assets, which allows them to push the game out in 24 months.

I don't see how FFXIII is the worst FF game. Probably disappointing because it was developed for 4+ years and people had very high expectations from the game.

It was not a bad FF, just didn't have any OMFG moments.

esserius

Banned
Your entire point was that "oh they think they can just throw money at something and it will sell" Yet by all accounts the production of XIII-2 is not at all that. It is a focused production that isn't wasting it's time with tons of fancy cg or spending weeks making one rock. No rather it is making heavy re-use of resources, so it probably isn't at all a huge costly production like XIII. We know this because well the number of cg scenes is largly downplayed with cutscenes done in realtime and that the graphics themselves are downgraded. So no, we don't know if the production is "fairly absurd", you are just talking out of your ass there.

Beyond that, no Square is taking a different approach with this game. They have acknowledged players appointment and are actively trying to correct peoples problems with XIII. It's less linear, has more side content, more explorable, less story focused, and so on. That doesn't sound at all like "eh just throw some money at it and call it a day". So what exactly is your point?

Actually, CG development is not hugely expensive (or at least, it's not nearly as expensive as it once was), unless they decided to develop the engine from scratch. Voice actors however, are quite pricey (less so here, but in Japan they are often paid as well as professional Hollywood actors). So, a fully voiced cast, with the same poor writing and poorly executed game engine. How does this equal raucous success and not just tossing money away? Especially if you're re-using an engine on an IP that was already determined to be "ho-hum at best, failure at worst?" Hell, if you can't convince even the "game journalists," the glorified PR department of big game companies, to like your game, what chance does it really stand?

Actually, CG development is not hugely expensive (or at least, it's not nearly as expensive as it once was), unless they decided to develop the engine from scratch.
So? If they were just "throwing money at it" wouldn't they have the same amount or not more cg scenes then XIII? I mean if they were just throwing money at the production, wouldn't it make more sense to have the stuff that is used largely to sell the games? But the fact is they didn't and that's because the production is far less costly then XIII. They aren't just throwing money at it and or instead trying to build a game that answers fans problems with the original.

So, a fully voiced cast, with the same poor writing
Your opinion on the writing has no point here. Your point is that they are just throwing money at the game to sell it? Where are you proving this? Fine they will spend money on voice acting, but the series has already established that it has VA, they can't drop that now. And in Japan that pays off, where VA's command a presence.

and poorly executed game engine.
Regardless if you think the game engine is poorly executed it doesn't change the fact that the ground work is done and that the game makes use of already built resources. So the production is far cheaper then anything. So again, where is your proof that its costs are "absurd" and that they "are just throwing money at it". When you use that phrase, it would imply that Square is just hoping that their great graphics and brand name will carry them through, kind of like XIII. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Not with the all the effort put into correcting the faults of XIII. Even they way they have handled the PR doesn't show that, not with constant updates, screens, and trailer releases. It's a complete shift from the way XIII was handled.

How does this equal raucous success and not just tossing money away?
Making a game that will sell at a way cheaper costs then the last game is "tossing money away?
Especially if you're re-using an engine on an IP that was already determined to be "ho-hum at best, failure at worst?
By who? Where are you getting of this from? I sure hope your mesassruing stick inst taking measurements from the internet, the same place that loves to harp on Call of Duty. You can't make these statements and then call them fact. Regardless the ip

Hell, if you can't convince even the "game journalists," the glorified PR department of big game companies, to like your game, what chance does it really stand?
Talk of XIII-2 has been pretty positive. Where are you getting any of your argument from?

Your claim was that Square is just throwing money at their games and hoping their problems go away? But I have yet to see you back that up. Where does something like XIII-2 show this, hell where does how they have handled XIV show this? A game where they acknowledged that it was failure and have thus kept it free and taken a big loss. Not only that but also changed the team completely and announced plans to completely revamp it.

luca1980

Banned
i just want final fantasy xv so we can get out of this universe and into something like ix or xii again. please.

I agree. After xenoblade i need a true squaresoft Game. Not another nomura kitase toryiama action fashion dramatic silly zzzzzzz sort of jrpg. I need to see hope for ff, what is ex team 4 doing ?

Top Bottom