• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Bladenic

is this where popgaffers have migrated to?

tumblr_oei04mN77J1s9hjhwo1_400.gif

Okay ass

Who?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
ugh, creep!

:p It was just a matter of coming across an interview where the actor referred to a significant other of the same gender.

and yeah, it's probably looking for validation that you can be successful and queer. I did it with my heritage, because I was constantly reminded I'm worthless by my surroundings.

In a perfect world there wouldn't be a need for this validation but imo its good for many (specially young and confused) to have some kind of role model who is proud to be out, be an actor, writter, politician, director, musician, singer, CEO, software developer,activist or whatever.

I see this explanation a lot (seeking representation as a reassurance of potential success), and I think it makes a lot of sense. If you have particular professional dreams and you see someone like you in that position, it can give you hope. It also can serve as a path for you to follow. I don't think this really applies to me because my professional dreams are hazy and unformed, but it does make sense.

No! Don't stop i sometimes question this when seeing random people on the street, could be, couldn't be, i will never know does it matter? Not really but its fun 🤔

I like when certain actors turn to be queer too

Haha. I probably will make a concerted effort to stop eventually because I'm not personally comfortable with my tendency, but yes, I do agree it can be fun sometimes to wonder, even if the information should ultimately be unimportant and irrelevant to me.

I'm not obsessive about it at all. I care a bit, like when someone moderately famous in games reporting referred to his 'partner' and didn't specify a gender, I wanted to hear more and have wondered since.

At one point a few years ago, I had the idea of writing a book (non-fiction) about queer magicians and wanted to look into if there's much to explore on the topic. It's a niche within a niche so I knew it wouldn't actually become something. And there aren't a whole lot of openly queer magicians.

But it's a good opportunity to show that Neil Patrick Harris is a magician.
Performing magic on TV in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdn1ysO2g8
A more current trick with his mouth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmF5xmi_v6A

I often find myself wanting to hear more, too. Situations like that pique my interest. I think I care more than I should in those moments.

I knew that NPH liked magic, but I didn't realize he was doing magic all the way back in 1990. It's really easy to see how much 1990 NPH has in common with 2017 NPH.

one of the things Dan Savage said, that stuck with me, is, that bullied (heterosexual) kids go home and have their parents (or other adult relatives) as proof, things will turn out for the better. LGBTQ kids don't have that and in most cases have to even hide it from their parents to not make the situation worse.

I think this really rings true for me and is closer to why I seek out representation aggressively. I think that rather than looking to others for examples of being successful and queer, I'm looking to others for examples of just being successful at living while queer.

Raxus

Might as well make it official.

Your gender? Your sexual identity?
Male
Your sexual orientation?
Bi
Where Are You From?
New York but lived in KY for the most of my life.
Where Do You Live?
KY
How Old Are you?
Favorite Type of Music?
Open but I do love the 80's. Love Queen (Thanks JoJo!)
Profession or Career interest?
Nurse
Favorite video game(s)?
RE4, Super Mario Galaxy, LoZ: Breath of the Wild and Majora's Mask
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
Learning to cook, working out again, rock climbing, anime (because I am a garbage person), HUGE movie buff, trying some new stuff too.

Gibbs

screaming at these drags about McD

"I'm lovin' it."

No they USED to be good, before Dave Thomas died. His kids ruined the brand.

This may be arguable, but I tend to agree. BK use to be top notch before they changed their fries too.

Don't fuck with the fries.

Male
Your sexual orientation?
Bi
Where Are You From?
Where Do You Live?
KY
How Old Are you?
Favorite Type of Music?
Nurse
Favorite video game(s)?
Learning to cook, working out again, rock climbing, anime (because I am a garbage person), HUGE movie buff, trying some new stuff too.

Hey welcome aboard! 80s, Super Mario Galaxy, Majoras Mask, cooking and working out... you are already one of my favorite people.

Gibbs

I would do that too! It's not lame imo.

I get looks when I do it. My mom will look at me and be like "Mark, stop it! People are staring!" or even when we do family game nights and I do it at home, someone makes a remark about it. It's quite sad.
Grease gives me the shits, so its either dab the hell out of the pizza to remove the excessive grease or its a no go.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Side-eyeing you a bit for gluten-free crust tho (unless you have Celiac, in which case I apologize!). Nothing beats the classic pillowy yeasty dough!

i am celiac :(

looking a little burnt around the edges, bb

same way i like my men tbh

Ugh I sound lame for saying this but I take a napkin and dab the shit out of my pizza to make it less greasy.

I do that too! But the pic was taken the moment I took it out of the oven.

Gibbs

I've been debating on redoing my bedroom. Though we've been trying to buy my neighbors house and that looks to not be happening now soooo I went and bought new bedding tonight. Plan is to next buy a queen size mattress to upgrade from a full size bed.

I'm going to repaint the living area of my room, im thinking like tan or some color towards brown.

I've already splurged on a 48 inch Vizio tv. I may be having a mid-life crisis at 29.

I've been debating on redoing my bedroom. Though we've been trying to buy my neighbors house and that looks to not be happening now soooo I went and bought new bedding tonight. Plan is to next buy a queen size mattress to upgrade from a full size bed.

I'm going to repaint the living area of my room, im thinking like tan or some color towards brown.

I've already splurged on a 48 inch Vizio tv. I may be having a mid-life crisis at 29.

Next plan after that should be to find a guy to help you fill that mattress.

Gibbs

Next plan after that should be to find a guy to help you fill that mattress.

It'll never happen. I've tried and tried but no luck dating. It actually breaks me and I get depressed over it. The only guy I've been talking to apparently uses me when he's bored. It sucks not being wanted.

I'm just not loveable apparently.

Thanks Gibbs, Aarglefarg and everyone for the welcome.

Always. Hope you stick around and join in the conversation. Good times to be had.

Male
Your sexual orientation?
Bi
Where Are You From?
Where Do You Live?
KY
How Old Are you?
Favorite Type of Music?
Nurse
Favorite video game(s)?

A fellow New Yorker who enjoys Nintendo games and anime. Welcome! :)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just skip to Zone of Enders 2. Even Leo is more tolerable in that game.

That opening in ZoE1 tho. Mmmmph.

I just beat it actually. The camera was terrible and the virus level was nearly unplayable, but overall it was a pretty decent game. definitely looking forward to ZOE 2 tho

Beyond: Two Souls (playing on PS4) sure has high highs! I just
successfully escaped from the train, ending with taking control of the helicopter pilot, wow it was a great journey.

Gibbs

I finished Resident Evil 7. I went in blind(outside playing the demo) and I loved the atmosphere but outside of that, some of the ideas were terrible.

- The family was great, I really disliked them, but then connected with them.
- The house setting, and other settings were great.

Story ideas were terrible at parts. I have to go back and grab achievements and get the second ending, but at this point it feels like a chore so I probably won't.

Kevyt

You should definitely redo your bedroom! I redid mine and felt completely different afterwards. I actually want to be on my room and spend more time there now because it's comfortable and cozier than before.

Top Bottom