• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent for Game Boy emulation on mobile phones, PDA's, PC and more

A gameboy/advance controller dock for smartphones is just too obvious to ignore now Nintendo!

Although it wasn't mentioned by Nintendo, it will be interesting to see if Nintendo releases official hardware compatible with mobile devices and tablets.

Edit-I still think, at first anyway, Nintendo will just release games suited for touch play so as not to sour the audience they are going after here. If a VC style service does happen through mobile there will have to come up with some kind of input solution, but this will only happen after they release touch style games first.

Lazaro

Hmm this may explain why I've been seeing GBA games on the Windows Phone store.
U8T1HYs.jpg

Nintendo obviously testing it out on the least popular mobile OS.
/s

Haunted

I can see the Nintendo executives high-fiving each other. "No one could emulate older Nintendo games on their phones until now! They'll love it!"

>_>

<_<

Tizoc

All Nintendo games from the NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA on Steam.

a68.jpg

Long as each game is priced $5-15 I'll be buyin them wholesale.
Heck you know what? Give M2 fucktons of money and let them port the games on Steam.
...but really Ninty should not make it's own service like UPlay, I really dislike Ninty's account system >_>

OBias

...but really Ninty should not make it's own service like UPlay, I really dislike Ninty's account system >_>
One of the goals of the Nintendo/DeNA partnership is the development of a new, more advanced account system. DeNA has a lot more experience in building Internet services than Nintendo.

xaszatm

Banned
Well, this still probably was a Nintendo emulation prevention attempt more than an actual product to be honest. And even if it wasn't, we probably need to wait a few months before we actually saw something. The first release was in the fall, right?

Loofy

Lame. I hate how nintendo emulates things and manage to charge the same as companies that port or even remake ther games(sonic, guardian heroes etc)

Haha, funny to see this now after their recent announcements. At least the patent prioritizes button controls rather than full emulation with nasty virtual controls.

mantidor

Bump....

I know Nintendo said they would not just port their legacy games over to mobile, but this might be evidence to prove otherwise. Since official games for mobile devices are being created by Nintendo perhaps they will want all third party Nintendo emulators off of the Play Store and demand that Google removes them.

I guess the thinking from Nintendo's perspective might be that said emulators would interfere with the selling and marketing of their new games on the Play Store. On Apple devices they won't have to worry so much, at least not on Apples official store front.

Another possibility might be a perk for current Nintendo console or handheld owners where Nintendo allows owners of their systems to download an app that allows you to play all your Virtual Console software on phones or tablets. They perhaps could make the Wii U Pro controller compatible with their app. Who knows if that would be a possibility, but I do think it is a Bluetooth device.

Of course I don't agree with Nintendo on patenting an emulator, but it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

This isn't evidence of anything.

No you are right. This might not be anything at all, but speculating on what Nintendo might be up to with this patent, in correlation to them revealing that they are going to develop games on mobile surely isn't a coincidence.

You just have to wonder why Nintendo did this. Was it to eradicate every Nintendo emulator on the Play Store to make room for their original touch style games? A future unannounced mobile VC service that promotes growth of their newest hardware by allowing cross compatible play on mobile, Tablets, or PC? We are talking Nintendo here so they are one big WTF wildcard.

Top Bottom