• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalizer

- Knuckles is said by the developers to have a slightly lower jump height than Sonic and Tails as in Sonic 3&K (though I assume we may know this already).

Kinda sad by this, as it implies that Knuckles will still be denied from certain paths by his shorter jump... But it does also leave the possibility that there might be ways to sneak into Sonic/Tails only paths.
There might even be an achievement tied to such, heh.

Reposting for new page:

Hands-on preview of a Mania demo featuring the bonus stages, special stages, and time-attack mode by GameCrate.

- Bonus Stages are activated by the player having at least 25 rings, and are randomly selected.
- Bonus Stages will have new layouts, as well as layouts reused from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
- Completion of the Bonus Stages by getting all of the spheres results in the player earning a Silver Medallion.
- Completion of the Bonus Stages by getting all of the spheres and all of the rings results in the player earning a Gold Medallion. (They don't know what the medallions do.)

- You can fall off the track in the Special Stages (a la Chaotix) and hitting obstacles slows down your speed.
- In order to earn the Chaos Emerald, you just need to catch up to the UFO (you don't need to attack it as in Sonic CD).

- Time Attack allows players to play through individual acts. Levels during this mode have no checkpoints, no bosses, and the clock acting as a timer.
- Completing Acts in Time Attack mode results in the game logs and saves your times. You can compare your record to your personal best times, or upload your record to an online leaderboard.
- Restarting levels during Time Attack mode is done by the player pressing and holding a single button (not specified which).
- Knuckles is said by the developers to have a slightly lower jump height than Sonic and Tails as in Sonic 3&K (though I assume we may know this already).

So Gamestop Italy has this posted...looks like a placeholder for a physical release

https://www.gamestop.it/Platform/Games/103285

Sign of things to come? Please SEGA?

Really do hope so. Lack of a physical release is the only major complaint I have regarding Mania.

Helios13

Neo Member
I swear, if you people don't buy this game and support Sonic's return to greatness, I will pray to every deity to delete your gamerscore/trophy haul. I will sacrifice anything and everything possible to ensure you face great trouble in setting up new consoles and/or TVs. Your pc upgrades will be hampered by static shock. Your leads will give off an annoying hum. The rubber on your sticks will rot. Your Bluetooth will have the most intense tooth decay. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE PEACFUL GAMING SESSIONS AGAIN!!!

But seriously. Please buy this game. Or you suck.

Worry not, fine citizen, I think a lot of people will get it. I myself am getting the Collectors Edition. Sonic was one of my first games to own growing up. Can't wait. Even if I'm not 100% sure what's included in this game, but I'm excited.

After replaying the original games recently I have to say Sonic CD now stands as my favorite with 2 right behind. I still enjoyed playing through 3 and K but CD clicked with me way more now than it did before. Spent tons of time on the Time Attack mode, which highlighted to me how replayable the levels are. I remember not appreciating the levels too much before but now they sucked me right in. Plus, the visual aesthetic really appeals to me with its clean graphics and mysterious levels. Something I felt was a step back with 3. So it goes without saying that I'm happy to see Mania taking a lot of inspiration from CD.

One of my friends who says he's a Genesis Sega/Sonic fan is disappointed that Mania looks like the 16 bit ones. He said the original trailer looked "cleaner" and is wondering why it looks pixellated.

I just can't...

Ehh...don't like the 3D graphics for the main Special Stages...looks like DS-level graphics...would've rather them stuck to sprites for that

Nice to see Blue Spheres back in some form!

RagnarokX

0dCRMvP.jpg

This would be awesome.

Guess Who

Banned
They don't look Sega Saturn. They look like someone stuck a bunch of horsepower in a 16-bit graphics engine or something. Like, I like it, but there's color dithering and it just looks closer to something like Virtua Racing 32X with some of the tricks Sonic CD used. DS is kind of apt, but kind of not. I'm shooting in the dark a bit.

It's something between a 32X and Saturn, but honestly, definitely closer to Saturn - 32X couldn't have pushed the polygons these special stages are (not just Sonic, but the UFO, emerald, and a lot of the scenery are polygonal).

If we want to be really pedantic, though, neither system could've probably pushed this at 60fps.

dlauv

It's something between a 32X and Saturn, but honestly, definitely closer to Saturn - 32X couldn't have pushed the polygons these special stages are (not just Sonic, but the UFO, emerald, and a lot of the scenery are polygonal).

If we want to be really pedantic, though, neither system could've probably pushed this at 60fps.

Yeah, nor had near the quality of animation. It being on either system wasn't exactly my point. I was just wondering what the limitations of the engine are, because if they were making a Saturn-styled game, I don't doubt they would have gone with a more faithful look, without color dithering and all of that. Or maybe not.

Seik

Banned
WbvxeOb.png

I love the art, but I would prefer a ~new~ design rather than a throwback to the US Sonic 1 Box Art.

For the love of everything that's good I hope this is real.

Even if this ends up being Europe exclusive, I don't give a shit and I import, no matter the price.

LordKasual

Banned
I know I'm beating a dead discussion horse, but it still blows my mind that showing love for something through modding/fan creations is a valid way to get in to the industry. A bunch of insanely dedicated fans that worked on various Sonic hacking feats, fan-music/art, physics bibles and disassemblies finally receiving payoff for their teenage hobbies makes me feel fuzzy inside.

To be fair, the Sonic Fangaming community is something a little special.

They've dissected the inner workings of the classic games down to the absolute lowest level. Determination to do so has probably been fueled extra by Sega's incompetence.

It's not intentional. The Sonic social media account and western advertising are self aware but I really don't think Sonic Team is. Pretty sure Forces is playing its edginess completely straight.

Pretty much. The advertising team is self aware. Sonic Team absolutely isn't.

ryan13ts

I hated Blue Sphere in S3K but that was mainly because it was required to get the chaos emeralds, which in that case I thought was a little too hard for something that was mandatory for Super Sonic (One mistake and it's over was too harsh IMO). The way they're implementing it here is MUCH better since it's just for extra lives/continues/powerups, which will go a long way in making me like Blue Sphere much more.

As for the Special Stage itself.... fucking perfect. It's got that perfect old school 3D look, and the way you get the emerald is original, while still being a shout out to CD's special stages. It's brilliant.

Seriously, these guys can do no wrong with Sonic. I cannot wait for this game, my hype is through the roof at this point.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So is there co-op in this game? Traditional Sonic & Tails style or otherwise? Online or couch-only?

giphy.gif

We've all got our opinions... but...

Sonic 2 improves on nearly everything Sonic 1 did. Better, more consistent level design (that plays to the strengths of Sonic), more levels, an actual reward for nabbing the Chaos Emeralds, Tails, etc.

I can sort of understand if you preferred Sonic 2 over 3&K since 3&K has a bigger emphasis on exploration that you may not be interested in but Sonic 2 is just straight up better than Sonic 1. It's similar to how SMB3 took what SMB1 did and improved on it in nearly every aspect.

More often than not, I prefer to replay Sonic 1 over any other game in the series.

Sonic 3K is too bloated and easy. If you're already familiar with the game, then you can just sort of sleepwalk through the first 75% of it. The stages in that game are a lot bigger than those in the previous games, especially vertically, but that's often achieved from just padding them out with long ramps, loops, and slides than with obstacle layouts that make good use of that space. The game's still godlike just due to pretty much everything from the Lava Reef boss onward, but I wished it spun its wheels a little less during the build-up.

Sonic 2 is a little more focused in that regard, but I still prefer Sonic 1 mostly due to the absence of the spin dash. Sonic 1 is virtually the only game in the series where you actually "have to play it like a Sonic game," really knowing how to maintain your inertia and make use of the environment to do so. I also think it has the most "purpose" in its level design; the odd numbered zones are built with lots of loops, hills, springs, and bumpers to make use of Sonic's unique gameplay style, while the even numbered zones are more methodical, hazardous platformer stages. It strikes a nice balance as a result with some peaks and valleys in the difficulty curve.

The spin dash is so much of a crutch that I actually think it takes away from the stage design in later games a little bit as a result.

Super Sonic is also a negative. Breaks the game. In the later games I either hold off on the last emerald until the last possible moment or just play as Tails in Sonic 2 instead.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I hated Blue Sphere in S3K but that was mainly because it was required to get the chaos emeralds, which in that case I thought was a little too hard for something that was mandatory for Super Sonic (One mistake and it's over was too harsh IMO). The way they're implementing it here is MUCH better since it's just for extra lives/continues/powerups, which will go a long way in making me like Blue Sphere much more.

As for the Special Stage itself.... fucking perfect. It's got that perfect old school 3D look, and the way you get the emerald is original, while still being a shout out to CD's special stages. It's brilliant.

Seriously, these guys can do no wrong with Sonic. I cannot wait for this game, my hype is through the roof at this point.
This is honestly how I've felt about every decision they've made. It's like this team is literally one with the fanbase of the classic titles.

From picking some of the best stages to remix and include, to having Tee Lopes lend his talents for the OST, to the drop dash (which is a fucking amazing addition - something so subtle yet so profound cannot be overstated - it is NOT easy to add something to a simple formula), the elemental shields, the new zones, the price point, the hand drawn animation and intro sequence reminiscent of Sonic CD (!), and now the special/bonus stage and time attack details...it's all been a masterclass of how to handle a nostalgia trip and modernize it.

I cannot wait. I will be buying this twice, once on PS4 and once on Switch, come release day. And then I will triple dip if a physical version drops.

Guess Who

Banned
the drop dash (which is a fucking amazing addition - something so subtle yet so profound cannot be overstated - it is NOT easy to add something to a simple formula)

I've probably spent half my posts in this thread gushing about the brilliance of the drop dash, and I've probably said this before in another post even, but the stunning thing to me about the drop dash is I've never seen it done before in like 15-20 years of fan games and ROM hacks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
With all of the other past stuff referenced in this game, it'd be surprising if it didn't have that.

Well yeah, but I'd like some confirmation.

It'd be cool to do some co-op runs with my siblings for old times' sake, but I wanna know if I can do that online or if I'll have to wait until we meet up during the holidays or something.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Did we know about those blue ring monitors before? I just read up on it in a reddit comment, and I can't believe I hadn't known about it up to this point...
I've probably spent half my posts in this thread gushing about the brilliance of the drop dash, and I've probably said this before in another post even, but the stunning thing to me about the drop dash is I've never seen it done before in like 15-20 years of fan games and ROM hacks.
Seriously, it's a wonder as to how it's completely original yet makes so much goddamn sense. It's that originality that breathes new life into a series.

I really hope Mania sells well. Time for Sonic's revival.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well yeah, but I'd like some confirmation.

It'd be cool to do some co-op runs with my siblings for old times' sake, but I wanna know if I can do that online or if I'll have to wait until we meet up during the holidays or something.

There's some videos of people playing Sonic Mania with someone controlling Tails. The store pages for the game also list local co-op/multiplayer.

Varg

Banned
Already preordered on pc. Still remember the sonic 2 poster I had on my wall as a kid. Please be good .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom