• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

BOTEC

I wonder if the box will contain a physical disc for the game or follow this unsettling new trend of limited editions with unnecessary shit in the box and a download code for the important part.

Yes Boss!

Seems like it will be a one-for one copy of the Amazon Limited with OST.

I can only hope...Raiden V was the only time I did not spring for the the version with the CD.

Ready to give this title a proper go on PS4. With a proper stick!

AmyS,

I too got an XBOX One S a few months ago. It is a BEAST of a system for BC...pays dividends every month!

i'm so in for this as well.
Seems like it will be a one-for one copy of the Amazon Limited with OST.

I can only hope...Raiden V was the only time I did not spring for the the version with the CD.

Ready to give this title a proper go on PS4. With a proper stick!

AmyS,

I too got an XBOX One S a few months ago. It is a BEAST of a system for BC...pays dividends every month!
does anyone now how much the xone version w/ ost retailed for?

Tain

Natsuki Chronicle is probably gonna be the last STG Microsoft has a hand in funding. I hope it's more along the lines of Eschatos than Ginga Force. Like Raiden IV and V it'll prooobably make it to other platforms eventually.

Something absurd like 7990 yen was msrp but online shops like Amazon.jp and Amiami had it for around 6450 yen at launch with soundtrack.

When it launched digitally in the west last year it was $50

So the PS4 price is pretty good all things considered.

Something absurd like 7990 yen was msrp but online shops like Amazon.jp and Amiami had it for around 6450 yen at launch with soundtrack.

When it launched digitally in the west lat year it was $50

So the PS4 price is pretty good all things considered.

thanks i didn't realize there's a pre-order. just did it!

Seems the Raiden V preorder is live on Amazon, but the Prime 20% discount isn't kicking in yet. I put in an order anyway and will probably bug customer service to fix it if I end up being charged the full price.

Yes Boss!

Salt in the wound...it was also $12.50 for a week or two. Double-dipped for digital ease.

In any case...on to PS4. I literally have only two discs for my Xbox One...Rare and Raiden. Shame Qute's game is locked to that system. I was actually thinking it had been cancelled already.

piggychan

I think I originally brought it brand new from a japanese ebayer I think around 50+ GBP with free shipping to UK

my old photo

B2175464-A965-4659-B6DB-E5F25B920C46.jpg

Tain

PS1 assets, baby!

I haven't played the old Windows version of SnS. Did it support widescreen and arbitrary resolutions like this seems to (with the outer-outer-borders I mean)? I have to imagine this is new effort, cuz I remember Windows SnS2 and 3 only supporting up to like 1280x1024 or something.

BOTEC

Oof, I remember the 2D assets on the original G-Net board at low res looked pretty blurry, so upresing everything will only multiply the effect. Will buy the whole lot. All the Shikigami games have great soundtracks.

Who the hell is Cosmo Machia?

shaowebb

Hey, that's on my birthday!

Here's the store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/582980/Castle_of_Shikigami/

Interestingly enough, the screenshots are 1080p and the 3D elements in the background are also rendered at that res!

ss_fcd01f1f5f589bb48e166dd3d2c2d2fe06cef8e4.jpg

It's a bit of a bummer, that the 2D elements are bilinear filtered, so soft and mushy :(

Man what a great year for gaming. No way can I play all the things this year I love.

• Culdcept Revolt in english
  • Castle Shikigami in english with full story finally
  • Senko No Ronde Duo 2 on steam
  • Musou Stars
  • Dynasty Warriors 9
  • Injustice 2
  • Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
  • Horizon
  • Atelier Firis
  • Genso No Ronde
  • Nier Automata
  • Chaos Code sequel
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris in English
  • Splatoon 2
  • Arms
  • Mario Odyssey
  • MISC steam shooties and indies

Thank god Shmups are quickie things I can hit easier in my odd moments than most of the things from this year that hit or that are going to hit. Plus I should be able to play them on my GPD win on breaks at work easily too.

BOTEC

They did the iOS port of this game and are presumably handling this port as well.

Yeah, I googled them. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want this port to be based on as original code as they can get. I hope they're not just re-porting their iOS port.

Yeah, I googled them. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I want this port to be based on as original code as they can get. I hope they're not just re-porting their iOS port.

The background pattern is the same as on iOS... and it's not the background from the original console versions.

That said, obviously the screen layout and interface are completely different.

AmyS

Don't do this to me. I'm on the verge of going on a stupid Genesis cart buying spree, and Raiden Trad is top of my list...
must.not.ebay.

I remember renting Raiden Trad for Genesis at Blockbuster, pretty disappointing conversion.

Anyway, Jaguar version preview & review:

1Y58UtT.jpg
WHa4QFZ.jpg

shaowebb

Man I am loving my Retropie and Pandoras Box 4s stations for shmups. Truxton 2, Cotton, Esp.Ra.De, Progear, Zero Wing...just a lot of fun retro stuff for me to toy with now. I could have an uber arcade for shooty fans between these, the 360 and my Steam Library these days.

Great era to be a shmup fan. Technology just lends itself over so well to give us convenient one stop shopping libraries now.

PayPal gave me a $10 coupon out of the blue, so I used it to finally download the Mushihimesama Futari Black Label DLC. The only DLC in the world to get released in regions where the base game has to be imported.

That's going to look silly if Futari ever gets a Steam port.

Can't wait for Raiden V. Retail version is only for PS4, nothing for PC?

When was the last time you saw a PC retail release that wasn't just a download code?

JP

I've just noticed that the latest ACA NeoGeo release of Metal Slug 2 went up for sale on the UK PSN today for the standard £5.79. It's not my favourite game in the series but it's definitely an instant buy for me.

I do hope the whole series will go up in time, I do own the PS2 Metal Slug Anthology on PS4 but as everybody knows, it's far from perfect. I've still managed to have a lot of fun with it even though it's a long way from what it should be.

JP

I'm hoping they bring Metal Slug X as well, even if it is a MS2 retread
I hope it happens, it's probably my favourite Metal Slug. It's definitely my favourite version of Metal Slug 2.

It's worth remembering that before the ACA NeoGeo of these games, SNK themselves released Metal Slug 3 on the PS4, maybe they've given up on that with the Hamster re-releases but they're certainly aware that there are people who are willing to buy these games on modern consoles.

People buy them on Switch too so hopefully if people keep buying them then they'll keep releasing them.

Top Bottom