• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Ken

Wait what? I totally missed this...

Isn't that why they tried to get Annie to go into the underground area? If she entered she wouldn't be able to transform, or at least that's what I got out of that chapter.

Also priest telling people to block the hole made in the wall to prevent the titan from being active by sunlight or something?

Armin's suspicion is confirmed when she smiles in the same way as the female titan, and by her refusal to enter the passage, where she cannot transform.

Although then I wonder how Ymir transforms at the Castle since wasn't that at night too?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They must be able to reserve some transformation energy, because Ymir transformed in the middle of the night.

So I don't know why they thought bringing Annie undergroud would stop her from transforming, nor why she was unwilling to go underground.

Maybe because she had already used up all her titan powers in the engagement in the forest.

Dresden

Hair aids in energy conservation, obviously. We're going to see yetis soon.

---

Two thoughts after watching ep2:

1. I wouldn't mind if the anime became the definitive version of the franchise
  2. We're going to see what's in the basement before the manga ever gets there

Ken

They must be able to reserve some transformation energy, because Ymir transformed in the middle of the night.

So I don't know why they thought bringing Annie undergroud would stop her from transforming, nor why she was unwilling to go underground.

Maybe because she had already used up all her titan powers in the engagement in the forest.

Well, the author spent like 10 pages on the "Annie won't go underground" part and only 1 panel for the Reiner/Berthold reveal so obviously more pages = less important.

Jarmel

Banned
Isn't that why they tried to get Annie to go into the underground area? If she entered she wouldn't be able to transform, or at least that's what I got out of that chapter.

Not as far as I'm aware. Titans use sunlight for energy and become more lethargic in nighttime settings. There was also the element that in a tunnel, she couldn't transform due to the size constraints. I don't think they've mentioned that sunlight is necessary for the initial transformation.

Ken

Not as far as I'm aware. Titans use sunlight for energy and become more lethargic in nighttime settings. There was also the element that in a tunnel, she couldn't transform due to the size constraints. I don't think they've mentioned that sunlight is necessary for the initial transformation.

She punched through the tunnel pretty easily so I can't imagine her not being able to burst through it during transformation.

Akito

Yep, that was my impression as well, she would have only been trapped if they went down deep enough and she was trying to transform. The same reason why Eren was being confined inside a underground prison I think.

Jarmel

Banned
She punched through the tunnel pretty easily so I can't imagine her not being able to burst through it during transformation.

There's a difference between punching through something and trying to grow in a constrained space.

Haly

Maybe it has to do with the mechanics of transformation that they need open space to displace and can't just do it anywhere without turning themselves into a block of cheese.

However, Eren DID pop out of another titan before.

Dresden

It's not complicated. Hair = energy conservation. The more hair you have, the more able you are to do titan-y things in dark conditions. This is why Eren was able to burst out--he had enough energy stored on the top of his head to exert himself so. The more hair you have, the more powerful you are. It's why so many of the fodder titans are almost completely hairless.

Ken

It's not complicated. Hair = energy conservation. The more hair you have, the more able you are to do titan-y things in dark conditions. This is why Eren was able to burst out--he had enough energy stored on the top of his head to exert himself so. The more hair you have, the more powerful you are. It's why so many of the fodder titans are almost completely hairless.

Poor half-potato guy.

Sasha-potato-Titan will be the strongest Titan.

There's a difference between punching through something and trying to grow in a constrained space.

In one of the flashbacks, didn't Eren's titan hand emerge from within the ground (when he was trying to pick up the fork). I might be misremembering though.

Haly

He was outside the ground by then.

Akito

But the lower half of the titan was beneath the ground? Unless during that instance the titan didn't bother forming the lower half.
He didn't fully transform, same case as when he was protecting Mikasa and Armin from the cannon ball.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But the lower half of the titan was beneath the ground? Unless during that instance the titan didn't bother forming the lower half.

Yes, but he couldn't bring forth the "need" or whatever. Same thing happened with his hesitation against Annie.

Haly

He didn't have enough moral clarity.

Branduil

One thing I noticed when watching episode 2: the design of the armored titan makes it really easy to tell it's Reiner. I wonder if anime-only watchers are going to figure that twist out much faster.

Jarmel

Banned
One thing I noticed when watching episode 2: the design of the armored titan makes it really easy to tell it's Reiner. I wonder if anime-only watchers are going to figure that twist out much faster.

One thing about adaptations is that speculation stuff like this isn't as fun because you know the answer is out there and chances are somebody will ruin it for you anyway.

duckroll

Anime speculation time!

Here's my guess for how the anime adaptation is going to go for the first 12 episodes:

Ep3 = Ch15-16 (Eren's training until they discover the defective equipment and he realizes he doesn't suck)

Ep4 = Ch17-18 (More training in the open areas, learning to move as a group and fight against cardboard targets, etc. Plus Rivail cameo.)

Ep5 = Ch3-4 (This is probably going to be the first big action episode, ending with Eren getting eaten. Non-readers are going to go nuts. Lol)

Ep6 = Ch5-6 (Mikasa episode, including her flashback with Eren.)

Ep7 = Ch7-8 (This one will probably end with the Eren-Titan fight mid-ch8.)

Ep8 = Ch8-9 (This will be the rest of the rescue operation using Eren-Titan ending with him transforming back.)

Ep9 = Ch10-11 + 9.5? (I can see them using the Rivail chapter as a pre-OP sequence for an episode around this point. The rest of the episode will be about them "testing" Eren after surrounding him.)

Ep10 = Ch11-12 (They'll probably have more expanded material here to show the aftermath of the discovery of a human-Titan. Plus the planning for the operation to close the wall with the rock, etc.)

Ep11 = Ch12-13 (The operation itself until Eren collapses and they all lose hope as he just stays immobile. Cliffhanger.)

Ep12 = Ch13-14 (Getting Eren back up all the way until he plugs the hole with the rock.)

Ep13 = Ch18 (I'm less sure about this, but it would make sense to have an epilogue sort of episode like ep2, where they remember and honor the fallen, and have expanded scenes on the cleaning up of the city and so on, with the characters reflecting on their first major battle.)

This will mean they'll cover about 18 chapters with 12-13 episodes. The second half of the series will start with Eren in the cell, and the new OP sequence will probably feature tons of Titan on Titan action. :D

What do you guys think?

Haly

You're obsessive duckroll.

If they really do things chronologically the whole everyone was titan shit is going to be much more obvious.

Kurita

I wonder which deus ex machina the author will pull so that Eren doesn't get crushed by the Colossal Titan's head.

Haly

It already is. Didn't you see ep2?!

Yeah.

Talk about blatant.

(God this thread is so nice. It's what I imagine the manga thread would be if certain shounen series were banned).

I am on Chapter 17 on the manga.

It is really fucking stupid how the best get the option to be the furthest away from the Titans. With policy like that you'd think the leaders on the country are siding with the Titans. And I am guessing they are. Either that or extremely short sighted and stupid.

Haly

I am on Chapter 17 on the manga.

It is really fucking stupid how the best get the option to be the furthest away from the Titans. With policy like that you'd think the leaders on the country are siding with the Titans. And I am guessing they are. Either that or extremely short sighted and stupid.

Ohohohohohohohoho

Why are you using spoiler tags. Lol.

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?

abic

Banned
I wonder which deus ex machina the author will pull so that Eren doesn't get crushed by the Colossal Titan's head.

?

if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.

?

if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.

Plus as long as Eren's real body isn't totally destroyed, he won't die. Maybe he'll be incapacitated for long enough for the other two to run off with him (or so I hope).

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?

Personally I prefer the non-chronological order, it creates a steady barrage of humanity-is-doomed hopelessness. I wish the anime wasn't starting out with the flashbacks because I'm impatient to get to the full-out action episodes.

Haly

Yeah I dunno.

The mangaka is an underdeveloped writer. He uses it to create suspense and mystery for the audience where a chronological telling wouldn't.

Branduil

Yeah I dunno.

This is the author's first manga, so his writing can still be pretty rough. I'm guessing he frontloaded the first two battles because he was afraid of the readers getting bored.

Dresden

It was his first manga, he needed to get the reader's attention just so it could survive.

The problem is when he keeps doing it even after he's become an established creator.

Ken

?

Colossal Titan is dead.
Humanity lives in peace for years.
Until...
Hairy Titan leads a bunch of titans with solar hair-powered 3DMGs and scale the wall anyways because yes.

duckroll

Everyone thought the weak narrative structure was because he's a new author and he was trying to drum up more excitement artificially. But later on there's a flashback to him planning the manga before it was released and it's revealed that the narrative structure was his intended plan all along because he thinks it's smart and cool.

:p

Akito

Cross posting from the Manga thread:

So uh, Shingeki no Kyojin popularity poll

ibcwOwdBU8isEm.jpg

01. Levi (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

01. Colossal Titan (64)
02. Armored Titan (44)
03. Hairy Titan (12)
04. Female Titan
05. Titan in the Wall

How is Mikasa below Eren, I call bullshit.

Haly

No one is surprised. Rivaille is badass.

Top Bottom