• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Write a novel in November! | NaNoWriMo 2017

Landford

Banned
I'd like to bounce a couple of story ideas off GAF. I need to narrow down what story I'm doing for NaNo, so I can begin more intensive prepping/outlining. I always have a ton of ideas rattling around my head, and sometimes I get so excited about them I have a hard time realistically judging them, so maybe some outside opinions on which are good or bad, and most easily fleshed out could help narrow it down to something I can really make progress on this nano.

A lot of my ideas are my attempts at taking a fantasy trope and playing with it, to get a more unique idea, so fair warning.

1) A castlevania inspired adventure where the heroes have to travel across a blighted country to defeat a big bad. The idea here is twist on the idea of heroic bloodlines (i.e. like Aragorn or Belmonts, something your ancestor did puts a responsibility on all his descendants). In real life genealogy expands rapidly though, it's not just one father one son, so here it's been so long descendants are so common whole units of descendants are sent in until someone succeeds. The main hero finds out they're the product of an affair, and not of the bloodline at all, a fact which becomes important later. Setting would be more greco-roman than medieval fantasy.

2) A world of city states, where because of the presence of large alpha predators (dragons) human society developed differently. The biggest change is war is impossible since large groups of people attract dragon feeding frenzy's, ending badly for both sides. Dragons would be less ancient and wise magical creatures like most fantasy, but a bit more mundane, like flying sharks or T-Rexs. Society itself is more primitive since everyone's more isolated. The story would be more exploration of this setting, as the main characters travel across it trying to discover their hidden heritage. A lot of potential places to explore new ideas but the main plot I've come up with is fairly cliché by itself I'm afraid. I might need to rethink it.

3) Real people in a fairy tale world. Kind of the inverse of a series like Fables or Once upon a time. A great cataclysm forces people from the real world to find refuge in a world of fairy tale characters, having to hide their origin. I got into Fables a lot after playing 'The wolf among us' I'm afraid. This seems simplest, as it would take a lot of standard fairy tales tropes, but it's my newest idea and one I haven't developed a lot, and while I think the ideas interesting, I'm not sure I'll stay excited about it to finish it.

4) The only vampire. Yeah vampires are a bit passé now, but I think this is a somewhat original take. Whenever you deal with vampires public about their identity, it usually derails into stories about immortal cabals screwing around with humanity, because that's basically what would happen if people were immortal. But in this world, there's just one vampire/supernatural being, who's public about being a vampire. They were a major historical figure but disappeared long that most people just figured it was a fraud somehow. They suddenly reappear, and the story is about how the world deals with him/her, with a mystery of how it came to be they are the only vampire and why they disappeared in the first place.

Thoughts? Which ideas seem the most interesting? Which seem easiest to get 50k words from?

I really, really loved number 4. Sounds amazing.

Thoughts? Which ideas seem the most interesting? Which seem easiest to get 50k words from?

I personally feel like 4 has some potential if it is fleshed out. I'd read it from the perspective of someone documenting the vampire's return (maybe a publicist as a reflection of celebrity culture?) or someone they meet as a result of them coming back? The draw will definitely be the mystery of why they disappeared. It has to be meaningful to the characters involved and the conclusion of the story.

1) A castlevania inspired adventure where the heroes have to travel across a blighted country to defeat a big bad. The idea here is twist on the idea of heroic bloodlines (i.e. like Aragorn or Belmonts, something your ancestor did puts a responsibility on all his descendants). In real life genealogy expands rapidly though, it’s not just one father one son, so here it’s been so long descendants are so common whole units of descendants are sent in until someone succeeds. The main hero finds out they're the product of an affair, and not of the bloodline at all, a fact which becomes important later. Setting would be more greco-roman than medieval fantasy.

2) A world of city states, where because of the presence of large alpha predators (dragons) human society developed differently. The biggest change is war is impossible since large groups of people attract dragon feeding frenzy's, ending badly for both sides. Dragons would be less ancient and wise magical creatures like most fantasy, but a bit more mundane, like flying sharks or T-Rexs. Society itself is more primitive since everyone’s more isolated. The story would be more exploration of this setting, as the main characters travel across it trying to discover their hidden heritage. A lot of potential places to explore new ideas but the main plot I’ve come up with is fairly cliché by itself I’m afraid. I might need to rethink it.

3) Real people in a fairy tale world. Kind of the inverse of a series like Fables or Once upon a time. A great cataclysm forces people from the real world to find refuge in a world of fairy tale characters, having to hide their origin. I got into Fables a lot after playing 'The wolf among us' I’m afraid. This seems simplest, as it would take a lot of standard fairy tales tropes, but it’s my newest idea and one I haven't developed a lot, and while I think the ideas interesting, I’m not sure I’ll stay excited about it to finish it.

4) The only vampire. Yeah vampires are a bit passé now, but I think this is a somewhat original take. Whenever you deal with vampires public about their identity, it usually derails into stories about immortal cabals screwing around with humanity, because that’s basically what would happen if people were immortal. But in this world, there’s just one vampire/supernatural being, who’s public about being a vampire. They were a major historical figure but disappeared long that most people just figured it was a fraud somehow. They suddenly reappear, and the story is about how the world deals with him/her, with a mystery of how it came to be they are the only vampire and why they disappeared in the first place.

2 reads more like a setting than a plot idea, tbh. That being said, I could see it working reasonably well as your backdrop for story 1. I'd check it out

Scirrocco

Number 4 got a lot more love than i thought it would. I almost didn't include it in my list, but now I'm putting more thought into using it.

The only thing is, like a lot of these i feel like i get set in my ideas and have trouble switching when they don't work or their should be something better. And right now, i'm worried that i let it get a little overly plotted this one (the answer to the mystery BEGINS with time travel). Although its not really a mystery novel and that would only come into play. Its really more an examination of the character, myth vs reality, how they fit into a world that doesn't really need them anymore, how the world deals with them.

In response to the comments about 2: I do actually have a plot for it, but like i said, its a little tropey. Its just my last post was long enough already. But i guess put in a short summary.

While their father is away, twin brothers are kidnapped from their small town by soldiers to use as leverage against their father, whom as far as the twins know isn't anyone important. They get rescued, but their rescuer dies before he can give them more info. They only know they have to make it across the countryside to where their father is, while evading further capture, along the way discovering they are retracing their fathers route, learning more about their history, where they came from and how they got where they are. They discover they weren't really twins, their father has been using alchemy (this worlds magic) to make one of them look like the other to disguise him, and ones really the long lost prince of this important town.

The whole 'return of the king' angle is the cliche bit i mentioned. But it works to give them a reason to travel across the world, and some plot crumbs to drop. I

I guess right now I've narrowed it down to 2 and 4 at this point.

Whee, got linked to this thread, I somehow missed it until now! I think.

Anyway, I'm gonna say I'm in so if I bail I can keep the streak going lol

wartama

Neo Member
So after much thinking I decided to try out NaNoWriMo this year. I happen to be really busy this year, but at the same time I noticed that whenever there's free time I spend it on gaming or browsing the internet instead, and writing is becoming a far dream by the day. I don't want to get complacent.

I've already got the title and synopsis down. Let's hope that I do manage to reach the goal next month.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
He's on Discord now!

Damn I think that'd hurt my productivity. IRC ##writing on freenode was my old hangout but I'd spend hours chatting instead of doing anything. It got to a point where people made #shutupandwrite and people split off. Forums are good for this because you post your progress at the end of the day and maybe write a paragraph or two about what you accomplished / what you didn't accomplish.

Timu

Damn I think that'd hurt my productivity. IRC ##writing on freenode was my old hangout but I'd spend hours chatting instead of doing anything. It got to a point where people made #shutupandwrite and people split off. Forums are good for this because you post your progress at the end of the day and maybe write a paragraph or two about what you accomplished / what you didn't accomplish.
We do have a Nano thread there as well!

Is there any way to get on the discord or would we have to wait?

I'm a mod on another forum if I need credentials that I'm not an asshole.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
We do have a Nano thread there as well!

On the Discord? Or the NaNoWriMo site? If the latter could you link me?

Is there any way to get on the discord or would we have to wait?

I'm a mod on another forum if I need credentials that I'm not an asshole.

Cyan posted it in a comment, you have to quote it to find the invite (post #314). I might come there guys but yeah.

Top Bottom