• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Gearbox dev: "We only did MP-portion of Aliens!". SEGA: "NOPE"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
UPDATE
Also..Sega just confirmed it's merely Gearbox trying to shift the blame:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-...es-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/

OP
superannuation ‏@supererogatory
Ex-Gearbox dev in May 2012: "I am expecting [Colonial Marines] to be average at best." http://j.mp/128hvRz

Also said "development of that game has been a total train wreck," and Gearbox only was handling multiplayer, with TimeGate as primary dev.

Stumbled on that post months ago. Didn't put much stock in it, but this early scores might suggest he was right.

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines. I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now? Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past.

I hope it proves me wrong, as I still have alot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best.

Nice.

edit:

Here is Randy Pitchford being more specific on how they split the development duties.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/the-future-according-to-randy-pitchford

Ridley327

That IGN interview also confirms what I figured was true the whole time, that Demiurge wasn't just credited for working on the Wii U port and had a lot of input. They're practically Gearbox's sister studio.

MechaZain

Banned
This doesn't excuse a crappy game if Gearbox is going to be the one taking all the credit regardless. It could have and probably should have been MP-only if they were going to do that.

TimeGate, really? Huh. The Section 8 Prejudice campaign was actually pretty fun I thought. Still, this does explain some things.

Hystzen

They spent 6 years on this and still didnt even do the campaign but passed it off to somebody else.

yeah they used that money for development of Aliens to make Borderlands

subversus

They spent 6 years on this and still didnt even do the campaign but passed it off to somebody else.

yeah they used that money for development of Aliens to make Borderlands

I think this might be the case actually. Like they moved most people to Borderlands while leaving some skeleton crew working on Aliens.

Gearbox is one of the weirdest fucking developers in the industry right now. Other than Borderlands, it seems like the rest of their games are mostly developed by other people while Gearbox swoops in and is considered the main developer even though they didn't handle a majority of the game.

Bad7667

I only preordered this for the co op multiplayer so this bothers me none.
Can't tell if your serious or not but the co-op is identical to the single player campaign.

The game has a versus mode which is what the article might talking about. Or it's simply Gearbox working on the net code because they have experience from borderlands.

subversus

Gearbox was working on the game full-time once and it had a dedicated team which was laid off in 2009-2010 and devs went to other studios like Crytek, for example.

Hystzen

I think this might be the case actually. Like they moved most people to Borderlands while leaving some skeleton crew working on Aliens.

I wonder if SEGA even noticed, your game you paying to publish took 6 years but 2 Borderland games pop up no issue. Either SEGA was clueless or just they ones who put Gearbox up to this , be funny now if SEGA announce they investigating Gearbox.

Top Bottom