• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017. So why the hell does For Honor not have dedicated servers?

The amount of disconnects and host migration I've have in this game is driving me up a wall. I can't remember the last time I've had this much problem with connection in a game.

How can a $60 multiplayer oriented game in 2017 use peer to peer connections? Tons of multiplayer games last year used dedicated servers.

The Division
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
COD Infinite Warfare(Partially)

Another point, how do console users feel about this? I would think you guys would be fucking pissed about having to pay for XL/PSN for multiplayer and yet still getting a cheap ass online experience.

/rant.

The amount of disconnects and host migration I've have in this game is driving me up a wall. I can't remember the last time I've had this much problem with connection in a game.

How can a $60 multiplayer oriented game in 2017 use peer to peer connections? Tons of multiplayer games last year used dedicated servers.

The Division
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
COD Infinite Warfare(Partially)

Another point, how do console users feel about this? I would think you guys would be fucking pissed about having to pay for XL/PSN for multiplayer and yet still getting a cheap ass online experience.

/rant.

Most console games are peer to peer btw.

Tons of AAA games don't have dedicated servers. Servers are expensive, and the vast majority of the market for these games doesn't care or doesn't notice.

It's annoying but I guess they were iffy on devoting huge funds to pay for server costs on an untested franchise. The next one will have them. They may even add dedicated servers in later seasons.

Bombless

Because why waste more money on your game-as-a-service when players are prepared to pay full price for a multiplayer game without dedicated servers?

Blame the buyers, it's not like the information wasn't out there before it released.

The optimist in me says that the wanted to gauge reception to the game before putting down the cost for the servers. If they went ahead and got them then it didn't sell or interest completely dried up in a few weeks then it would be a big waste of money, so now they can implement them later for some free PR.

The pessimist in me says that why bother when everyone is going to buy the game anyway?

Budi

Uncharted 4 needs to get more flack for this. But no, it gets awarded Neogaf GOTY and plenty of others for these shitty anti-consumer practices.

Strider

On this specifically... Paying for online sucks no matter what but I only get really bent out of shape about it when 1st party games can't even be bothered to have dedicated servers. After all the 3rd party devs/publisher aren't seeing that cash...

For example Sony is charging $60/yr for you to play multiplayer, stuffing their games like UC4 with MTs, and not even providing dedicated servers for these games... Pretty bullshit IMO.

Fbh

It's cheaper and the vast majority of the market doesn't care. Specially on consoles.

With that said, For Honor felt pretty bad in the beta. It pauses every time someone leaves (which happened constantly) and I had a few matches end because of connection issues.
I asumed it was just because of it being a beta, sad to hear that it's still like that in the full release

Because, like most companies, Ubisoft want to maximise the profits. Selling micro transactions is more important than paying for good servers.

Gamers are pushovers and usually bow to corporations, so why wouldn't they?

In most NeoGAF threads you have more people defending anti-consumer practices than arguing against it. The battle has been lost.

It is essentially a fighting game, and generally those don't use dedicated servers and you don't even want them for that. While rare, there are online fighting games with more than two players, like Virtual-On Force and Guilty Gear 2.

I don't think peer-to-peer itself is the problem in For Honor, it's that other networking elements like NAT traversal, player joining/leaving, and the general higher level servers (matchmaking and so on) aren't nearly as good as they should be.

I don't mind it being p2p, I have little to no lag 99% of the time. But they need to do something about the stability of the match. Today out of 15 matches I could only finish 3, because I kept being disconnected (and many times just when i was about to win).

Matchmaking is taking too long as well, and for the shittiest matches ever. I once got in one that was 773 vs 47 at the time I entered. After that bloodbath I thought at least we would be able to play with the same group, but no. Too many people left so you have to go through our shitty matchmaking again that will error 3 times before putting you in another shitty match.

Because it was designed primarily as a 1v1 fighter where P2P is essential?
i though that they would focus on domination, which is the superior mode anyway.

Edit: I did tried to play 1x1, but it's filled with people that don't know how to play and fighting them is about as fun as hitting a training doll.

Though every once and while I parry a little with my brother.

Carlius

Banned
most likely they didnt have that much faith in the game after steep. it is a new ip after all. so maybe now that the game seems to be doing well enough, theyll do something about it.

Momentary

Banned
Because, it would seem, they don't want my money.

I would say it's because they want to make money.

They are a corporation looking for profits. The P2P negativity for this game was probably was probably a topic in one of their board meetings about how to handle the launch of this brand new IP. If the game shows that it has staying power and people keep harping about servers, that's when they'll pop in all apologetic and whatnot to announce servers, where they will probably see another boost in player activity and profits. People will complain for a week about why they didn't do this in the beginning, then go about playing their game.

Budi

Matchmaking is taking too long as well, and for the shittiest matches ever. I once got in one that was 773 vs 47 at the time I entered. After that bloodbath I thought at least we would be able to play with the same group, but no. Too many people left so you have to go through our shitty matchmaking again that will error 3 times before putting you in another shitty match.

Huh, on what platform are you on? On PC I don't think it takes even a minute to find a match.

I can understand the choice to go with a P2P variant method for the online thanks to it basically being a fighter in disguise. However, I feel like it kinda falls apart in the larger game modes when players start ragequitting and pause the game for everyone. They should probably keep P2P for the smaller modes and switch over to dedicated servers for the 4v4 modes.

This is not some big Battlefield game where you have 64 players to host, that's probably why. Every game should have dedicated servers but if they can save money they will. People who pay for online services should want better.

Strakt

Why would you want host advantage in a 1v1?

There is no host advantage in For Honor; even the community manager confirmed it. They use a special version of P2P. People who say there is host advantage are just bad at the game in general. Most of the posts in this thread are from people who don't even own the game and just read the negative reviews posted elsewhere. While the game isn't perfect network wise (I've had a couple disconnects during games), it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Rodelero

I can't help but feel a lot of the issues with P2P would disappear if they were more vigiliant in discouraging quitting, and more careful when rating people's connections.

Ferrio

Banned
Why would you want host advantage in a 1v1?

Stop confusing P2P with people having host advantage. P2P only means there's no middleman. A proper netcode will account for the latency difference like any good fighting game net code should.

I can't help but feel a lot of the issues with P2P would disappear if they were more vigiliant in discouraging quitting, and more careful when rating people's connections.

Did anything ever materialize over the new Xbox Live and reputation system where they claim quitters could end up playing only quitters until they improved their credibility? It will never be perfect as you will get spammers who hate losing trying to lower your ranks with negative feedback but I was just curious if it did amount to anything.

There is no host advantage in For Honor; even the community manager confirmed it. They use a special version of P2P. People who say there is host advantage are just bad at the game in general. Most of the posts in this thread are from people who don't even own the game and just read the negative reviews posted elsewhere. While the game isn't perfect network wise (I've had a couple disconnects during games), it isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
My two favorite defenses. "You probably don't even own the game" and "Don't listen to negative reviews".

Matt

PlayStation Plus and XBL Gold payments don't go to publishers, and have nothing to do with individual games having dedicated servers.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sure, if the system works flawless and every client is a host it puts people pretty evenly advantage wise but it seems like every client checking each other would cause delays. Seems like a 100+/-ms delay for all to sync.

Top Bottom