• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

Proxy

All I've heard so far about Orbis sounds like total BS considering Sony's financial situation. Unless they want to just repeat all the mistakes that cost them this generation and start at $599. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Even if they would release a system that's almost 50 % more powerful on paper than Durango (and we know how it turned out with the more powerful PS3 against 360) all the games will be developed with Durango in mind. Especially if that console is $300 cheaper at launch.

So what do I make of all those rumours? Nothing but the current version of those infamous render trailers that Sony put up against Microsoft at E3 05. They are teasing a more powerful PS4 and in the end both systems will be on par. There's a reason why Sony says they will wait for the competition to put their cards on the table. So they can scale back their setup to what is necessary instead of going all in with an expensive console.

Sony has Gaikai. It doesn't make sense to put powerful tech in a box when it will be made redundant during its life cycle. Sony and Microsoft will want to be profitable from day 1 with their new consoles. Don't expect miracles.

Again with the "Sony is too poor" stuff. Both of these machines are so far from breaking the bank. Given what we know of Durango specs, Sony could easy match or exceed them without going all out.

Funny how the "insiders" stayed away from this thread so far with the information...

are there any members with insider info on orbis? I thought it was only microsoft reps and some third party developers / people who have friends who are currently working on the durango. I've seen precious little talk about orbis insider info.

i-Lo

All I've heard so far about Orbis sounds like total BS considering Sony's financial situation. Unless they want to just repeat all the mistakes that cost them this generation and start at $599. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Even if they would release a system that's almost 50 % more powerful on paper than Durango (and we know how it turned out with the more powerful PS3 against 360) all the games will be developed with Durango in mind. Especially if that console is $300 cheaper at launch.

So what do I make of all those rumours? Nothing but the current version of those infamous render trailers that Sony put up against Microsoft at E3 05. They are teasing a more powerful PS4 and in the end both systems will be on par. There's a reason why Sony says they will wait for the competition to put their cards on the table. So they can scale back their setup to what is necessary instead of going all in with an expensive console.

Sony has Gaikai. It doesn't make sense to put powerful tech in a box when it will be made redundant during its life cycle. Sony and Microsoft will want to be profitable from day 1 with their new consoles. Don't expect miracles.

If Sony were to back off in terms of hardware then they are already very late to the market behind WiiU. They are competing head to head with MS. The rest is just convoluted conjecture on your part allied with cynicism and wishful thinking. IL+1

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Funny how the "insiders" stayed away from this thread so far with the information...

Most of them don't know much about Orbis, just Durango.

Again with the "Sony is too poor" stuff. Both of these machines are so far from breaking the bank. Given what we know of Durango specs, Sony could easy match or exceed them without going all out.

A lot of people also seem to forget that Microsoft isn't throwing all their money at their gaming division whereas the existence of Sony heavily rides on Orbis's success.

are there any members with insider info on orbis? I thought it was only microsoft reps and some third party developers / people who have friends who are currently working on the durango. I've seen precious little talk about orbis insider info.
Well the whole 1.84TFlops, 192GB/s, etc figures have been "confirmed" by some posters here.

No idea on costs. I suspect the compute module is the "cell-like" packages that Sony patented in 2010. They "plug" into any x86 or PPC. They can either stack on top, or TSV the 256mb of memory to achieve the speeds that XDR had.

Doing this will allow for not only BC, but yes, processing for PS4 games. I honestly expect it to be used for things like post processing, anti aliasing, DSP (sound processing) and other PS4 media related functions.

I may have drank too much of the Jeff Rigby Koolaid, but that is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me...

We have a rumor of an extra unkown "compute module" + ".2"gigs of ram... add those two together and you get BC and extra PS4 horsepower.
This is making me salivate. Please oh please Sonya, do the right thing.

I would even settle for an "elite", more pricy version of the console that includes the necessary PS3 hardware for BC. I still don't see why this isn't feasible while selling a standard, normal PS4.

Well the whole 1.84TFlops, 192GB/s, etc figures have been "confirmed" by some posters here.

they have? can you link me to those posts as I missed them. I thought it was people assuming / working out the potential bandwidth, etc based on leaked specs, didn't know it had been confirmed.

Swifty

So all those devkits out in the wild right now don't exist? wtf?

GPU: AMD R10xx
Can we tell anything from that on a dev kit?

I know the ram is normally 2x (at least from what GAF has told me) on dev kits vs. the actual console --- so 8GB mixes in a dev kit makes sense for 4GB (all of it GDDR5 probably?)

But what about the GPU?

serious question, as sony aren't going for something crazy like cell again, would the orbis really cost as much as the ps3?

I know precious little about this stuff, but it from what I've picked up, the innards this time round aren't likely to cost anywhere near as much as the ps3 cost them. then again, I could be totally wrong. I'll leave it tot he tech aficionados to chime in and correct anything wrong I've said.

sangreal

Maybe I read this wrong but I got the feeling the controllers themselves could be set to memorize individual user IDs. So you just turn it on and you are good to go

That's not what the article says:
Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

This is exactly how xbox 360 works (and has since 2005). I see they've edited the article so that it no longer says it is different from "all current consoles"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46351151&postcount=951
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46311692&postcount=6077
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46310595&postcount=6051

This is surely does not count as guessing and thinking but stating that 192GB/s is a fact.

Boss Man

The touch pad stuff on the back seems like it could be really cool for menu/OS navigation, but a total sixaxis-style gimmick for games.

The front button thing sounds weird. Not sure how I feel about all of this if a traditional DS cannot be used as an alternative. But who knows, haven't even seen the thing yet.

slider

In the CVG thread about the "new controller" I remember thinking "maybe it's not a screen but a touchpad" (and I'm sure I wasn't alone). Wish I'd said it. Would've been the first time* I've been right on GAF.

*Obviously that remains to be seen.

I'm still hoping for a break apart controller. The tying together of the conventional with gesture intrigues me.

thanks. very interesting.

I think that dude said someone had shared info with him. Used him as a controlled release/mouthpiece so to speak.

Sony has gone on record multiple times saying that they're commitment is delivering a powerful gaming console. It may be quite a bit more powerful than the next Xbox because it seems like Microsoft skimped on certain hardware features to include Kinect 2.0. With that said, I still expect them to roughly be the same in cost. The priorities and philosophies behind these two consoles are totally different. Both want control of your living room, but Sony seems to want a laser focused powerful gaming console and they'll branch out from there. Microsoft seems like they're going to include every bell and whistle they can think of and try to have that living room dream box available on day one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony has gone on record multiple times saying that they're commitment is delivering a powerful gaming console. It may be quite a bit more powerful than the next Xbox because it seems like Microsoft skimped on certain hardware features to include Kinect 2.0. With that said, I still expect them to roughly be the same in cost. The priorities and philosophies behind these two consoles are totally different. Both want control of your living room, but Sony seems to want a laser focused powerful gaming console and they'll branch out from there. Microsoft seems like they're going to include every bell and whistle they can think of and try to have that living room dream box available on day one.
Judging by some recent rumors compared to previous ones I think Microsoft may have been blindsided by how much of Durango's resources they need to dedicate to Kinect 2 so it can perform what it'a supposed to. A lot of the people in the know here were really surprised when they heard the 3Gb of RAM number and 2 cores reserved for OS/other functions in Durango, talked to their sources again, and came back saying it wasn't far off. It seems to me like Kinect 2 wound up being a resource hog and it's too late to change things. I don't think that Durango will be underpowered but I do think that it's advantages will be chipped into because of this.

lantus

Well I think if we're talking strictly games, yeah I think they both have different goals with their machines. But I think both of them are going to be gunning for the top spot in your all around living room entertainment. They've been heading in that direction for the past few years.

Judging by some recent rumors compared to previous ones I think Microsoft may have been blindsided by how much of Durango's resources they need to dedicate to Kinect 2 so it can perform what it'a supposed to. A lot of the people in the know here were really surprised when they heard the 3Gb of RAM number and 2 cores reserved for OS/other functions in Durango, talked to their sources again, and came back saying it wasn't far off. It seems to me like Kinect 2 wound up being a resource hog and it's too late to change things. I don't think that Durango will be underpowered but I do think that it's advantages will be chipped into because of this.

This has been clear to me for some time. I assume both are working with a similar budget and targeting a similar launch price, unless someone has evidence indicating otherwise. But MS has other interests that Sony doesn't have to account for. Like Kinect and Windows 8. Kinect will eat into the hardware budget while the new OS will take up computational resources. Both resulting in compromised gaming performance.

This is making me salivate. Please oh please Sonya, do the right thing.

I would even settle for an "elite", more pricy version of the console that includes the necessary PS3 hardware for BC. I still don't see why this isn't feasible while selling a standard, normal PS4.

Don't get too excited. I really hope they go this route though.

THE:MILKMAN

That sounds crazy. You think Microsoft were adding in these OS/Kinect features over the last however many years and then one day someone in "memory management" says: you guys know we need 3GB RAM right?

No. Whatever the reserved RAM/CPU cores is in the final console would have been planned for a long time ago IMO. Unless they have been really incompetent.

Well I think if we're talking strictly games, yeah I think they both have different goals with their machines. But I think both of them are going to be gunning for the top spot in your all around living room entertainment. They've been heading in that direction for the past few years.

I think Sony will prioritize games more than Microsoft. That seems to fall in line with Microsoft's past three E3 conferences. Compare Sony's to Microsoft's. And no, I'm not saying that Sony's conferences were perfect, but they have focused on gaming far more than Microsoft has. Move, for example, wasn't pushed nearly as much and they still managed to highlight their exclusive first party games. I think Microsoft's E3 conferences, from here on out, will resemble CES conferences more than anything. They'll probably devote at least a third of their conference to Kinect/apps.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That sounds crazy. You think Microsoft were adding in these OS/Kinect features over the last however many years and then one day someone in "memory management" says: you guys know we need 3GB RAM right?

No. Whatever the reserved RAM/CPU cores is in the final console would have been planned for a long time ago IMO. Unless they have been really incompetent.

It happened with Kinect the first time around and resulted in it getting gimped.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
this shit is going to be like journalist-darwinism when all these "facts" get confirmed and I can finally blacklist all these misinformation giving assholes in the press. Sites and names are marked, have at it websites.

No idea on costs. I suspect the compute module is the "cell-like" packages that Sony patented in 2010. They "plug" into any x86 or PPC. They can either stack on top, or TSV the 256mb of memory to achieve the speeds that XDR had.

Doing this will allow for not only BC, but yes, processing for PS4 games. I honestly expect it to be used for things like post processing, anti aliasing, DSP (sound processing) and other PS4 media related functions.

I may have drank too much of the Jeff Rigby Koolaid, but that is the ONLY thing that makes sense to me...

We have a rumor of an extra unkown "compute module" + ".2"gigs of ram... add those two together and you get BC and extra PS4 horsepower.

I'd gladly pay $599 us dollars for that.

I know precious little about this stuff, but it from what I've picked up, the innards this time round aren't likely to cost anywhere near as much as the ps3 cost them. then again, I could be totally wrong. I'll leave it tot he tech aficionados to chime in and correct anything wrong I've said.

I don't think it will cost near as much as PS3 to build. Which I think had an estimated bom of about $700-800 at launch.

I have read a few people on B3D say they think Durango has a lower bom than PS4.

It won't be $499/599 but it won't be cheap either. I'm thinking PS4 retails for $399/499 or something.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have read a few people on B3D say they think Durango has a lower bom than PS4.

You are reading the fanboy drivel of Rangers. Remember, about 80% of B3D are the same type of people that are here, the rest have some knowledge, but post far less.

There is zero information of the BOM of either system. I find it hard to believe that Durango is cheap, especially if a Kinect is every box and it is going to have 8GB of DDR in a configuration that is so bleeding edge that it currently doesn't exist in PCs. The CPU is more or less the same, the GPU portion might be cheaper, but the eSRAM is not.

VG Leaks teasing us

http://www.vgleaks.com/what-do-you-expect-about-orbis-hardware-poll-inside/

Comments section:

Anonymous 23 January, 2013 at 22:48 Reply

What are your thoughts on the Kotaku ‘leak’/clickbait?

And the answer:

Mr.X 24 January, 2013 at 0:23 Reply

Hi!

I think it’s better to wait until tomorrow to answer your question. Please, we will publish a new Orbis article soon, a different one…

Thanks for your enquiry.

Is Mr. X from VG Leaks?

Top Bottom