• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

branny

I think this is the first game I've played where you can break stuff in the environment and then stand on top of it without clipping through.

edit: nvm maybe Dissidia or Psi-Ops or something lol

still pretty rare to see

TGMIII

Good post. I'd add that the slide is more of a spin. Anything you hit with it is kicked up into the air (objects and grunts), allowing you to immediately enter blade mode and dice them.

EDIT: I also want to add that this game is begging for a PC port. As much as I love chopping shit to pieces, it's unfortunate so much disappears so quickly. I can appreciate why, but having the RAM and CPU calculation headroom on PC could make for some truly glorious things.

Hopefully Konami follows through with the PC version. Would be great to see how it looks at 120fps but I'll still be picking up the console version day 1.

The demo starts to crawl to a stop when you start chopping things up, it's most evident with the gekkos.

supahkiwi

Banned
Good post. I'd add that the slide is more of a spin. Anything you hit with it is kicked up into the air (objects and grunts), allowing you to immediately enter blade mode and dice them.

EDIT: I also want to add that this game is begging for a PC port. As much as I love chopping shit to pieces, it's unfortunate so much disappears so quickly. I can appreciate why, but having the RAM and CPU calculation headroom on PC could make for some truly glorious things.

WOW, there's a launch and stinger attack in this game?! I gotta revisit the demo now.

Neiteio

Just played the demo SIX times... or maybe it was seven... It was at least six times (skipping cutscenes, of course). I've gotten to the point where only the Gekkos get a hit in every now and then, and Bladewolf at the end. Otherwise I stealth kill all but the forced fights (you can run up in the periphery of guards -- I guess you're silent because you're a ninja), and I even rescued the civilian. AWESOME GAME.

Seriously, parrying Bladewolf's tackle and then closing the distance with my own tackle (forward twice, plus heavy hit) before hitting him with an open palm thrust (pivot back and forth, then light attack) and seguing straight to Blade Mode to chop off his armor is a RUSH. It's amazing how natural it becomes as you learn the ins and outs of the mechanics, like toggling off lock-on (R2) when you're in a crowd, or using the sliding dive to launch two guards and cleave them both through the target square with Blade Mode. So incredibly FUN.

Thanks to ViewtifulJC for sharing some tips by private messaging before I started the demo!

Ein Bear

Man, you feel like such a boss when you get the parry timing down. So much more satisfying than holding down a block button.

okay i just started the demo (tutorial mode), why the heck isn't the camera control responsive when going into blade mode? it won't stay in one place, keeps moving even after i adjust the camera.

anyone else having this problem?

Neiteio

Stealth-killing the last group of Gekkos and guards before Bladewolf is like delicious destructive clockwork. Sprint up the stairs to the right, backstab the first guard, hold the Blade Mode trigger before the stabbing animation even finishes, then move the right stick slightly to line up a perfect slice. Rip out his batteries, then sprint up behind the first Gekko, leap to its head and cleave it in two. Proceed to wipe out the remaining guard and ambush the Gekko patrolling below from above. Then ninja-run up the far wall and backstab the other guards. BAM. BAM. BAM.

okay i just started the demo (tutorial mode), why the heck isn't the camera control responsive when going into blade mode? it won't stay in one play, keep moving even after i adjust the camera.

anyone else having this problem?

You need to combo into blade mode. Hit the enemy first then going into it. I suspect this is to prevent mashing/overuse of blade mode

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like that there's no dodge. I like that the kinda dodge that is there is still a form of attack. I like that the game emphasises parries instead. I like that this isn't a Bayonetta/Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden clone, especially coming off Anarchy Reigns, which also made pretty liberal use of dodging (though with its own feel). Everything you do in Rising is focused on the concept of conflict and duals: to avoid getting hit you must engage with the hit. To avoid rockets you can chop the rockets. You deflect bullets, not dodge them.

I'm so happy they've built their own combat system here, with its own nuances, and it's own rhythm, and not lazily settled on a simple heavy/light timing attack system with a dodge button.

That being said, the parry window probably needs to be much smaller. Hopefully hard remedies that.

InPlosion

Great, cannot download the demo because it is exclusive to gold members.

God, I'm reaching the limit, I have to sell off this piece of junk called xbox360, being treated like scum a happy customer does not make.

Neiteio

I like that there's no dodge. I like that the kinda dodge that is there is still a form of attack. I like that the game emphasises parries instead. I like that this isn't a Bayonetta/Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden clone, especially coming off Anarchy Reigns, which also made pretty liberal use of dodging (though with its own feel). Everything you do in Rising is focused on the concept of conflict and duals: to avoid getting hit you must engage with the hit. To avoid rockets you can chop the rockets. You deflect bullets, not dodge them.

I'm so happy they've built their own combat system here, with its own nuances, and it's own rhythm, and not lazily settled on a simple heavy/light timing attack system with a dodge button.

That being said, the parry window probably needs to be much smaller. Hopefully hard remedies that.
It really is brilliant. And yeah, I suspect higher difficulties will narrow the parry window. Anyone compare Easy and Normal to see if the windows are different? As for dodging, I love the focus on parrying, but there is still that psuedo-attack/sidestep in the form of Square + X. I use that to zone the Gekko in the Bladewolf fight.

Neiteio

The general party is yeah, but the counter attack one feels fairly narrow.
That's true -- you have to parry at the moment of impact to actually stagger your foe and turn the tables on 'em. Otherwise, you just absorb the incoming attack without taking damage.

Great, cannot download the demo because it is exclusive to gold members.

God, I'm reaching the limit, I have to sell off this piece of junk called xbox360, being treated like scum a happy customer does not make.
To be fair, most of the time demos end up coming out late on PSN due to that live rule.

To be fair, this is like the most lenient parry ever.
As it should be, beings it is basically the only way to negate damage where a dodge would usually be.

Monocle

Combat in this game is so fucking good. You can link all sorts of things together, like:

XXXYXY => >>X => A => (air) XXYY => (air) >Y => (air) XYY => <>X => >>Y

That's three slashes, a foot slash, a leaping spinning slash, and a foot stab (XXXYXY), into a launcher (>>X), canceled into a jump (A), followed by a four-hit aerial slamdown (XXYY) with the recovery of the last hit canceled into an aerial dive kick (>Y), then a shorter aerial slamdown (XYY) with the last hit canceled into a force palm (<>X), ending with a stinger (>>Y).

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGH

Platinum, you spoil us.

I remember saying this a while back. Rising isn't a DMC clone nor is it NG clone (although there are Plently of similarities with both) it's trying to do its own thing and requires much more use of the analog stick that most action gamers are used to.

It's going to piss off and alienate a lot of people, but the ones that stick with it will be handsomely rewarded.

TGMIII

I didn't get time to test it but I thought that if you parried late you then had to deal with a bigger recovery time, where as if you perfect parry you can come out of the parry stance instantly. If true then I don't really mind the window on the parry since you're rewarded for timing your parry and other people who might not have the reflexes don't get discouraged from getting slammed constantly.

Agree with all this. It feels really good IMO, as long as the camera cooperates. I really hope there are some good unlocks and additions to the moveset.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It really is brilliant. And yeah, I suspect higher difficulties will narrow the parry window. Anyone compare Easy and Normal to see if the windows are different? As for dodging, I love the focus on parrying, but there is still that psuedo-attack/sidestep in the form of Square + X. I use that to zone the Gekko in the Bladewolf fight.

The X+A attack where he swipes and backsteps can work as a dodge, has a ton of i-frames.

That's what I meant about the swipe dodge though. It's not like Anarchy Reigns where you can roll and dodge around your opponent in a really tight circle like a UFC fighter, and it's not like Bayonetta's free from flips and cartwheels. It's its own thing and also functions as an attack.

Neiteio

I'd like to add, I think the graphics in this game are quite snazzy -- environments included. They're more warm and colorful than I expected, and I appreciate touches like the dust floating in the air in the building interiors.

Combat in this game is so fucking good. You can link all sorts of things together, like:

XXXYXY => >>X => A => (air) XXYY => (air) >Y => (air) XYY => <>X => >>Y

That's three slashes, a foot slash, a leaping spinning slash, and a foot stab (XXXYXY), into a launcher (>>X), canceled into a jump (A), followed by a four-hit aerial slamdown (XXYY) with the recovery of the last hit canceled into an aerial dive kick (>Y), then a shorter aerial slamdown (XYY) with the last hit canceled into a force palm (<>X), ending with a stinger (>>Y).

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGH

Platinum, you spoil us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ysB2botA3B8#t=112s

You will be sucked! :3

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's what I meant about the swipe dodge though. It's not like Anarchy Reigns where you can roll and dodge around your opponent in a really tight circle like a UFC fighter, and it's not like Bayonetta's free from flips and cartwheels. It's its own thing and also functions as an attack.

Ah, thought you meant the parry being an input as an attack button keeps it offensive, but it works for both moves. Definitely agreed on that.

branny

Circle doesn't really do anything does it? It could have been the cartwheel.
Yeah, kind of disappointed it's not like a grab or roll or something. I mean, we could use circle in PSASBR just fine... :p

edit: beyond the context-sensitive stuff, obviously

EatChildren

I remember saying this a while back. Rising isn't a DMC clone nor is it NG clone (although there are Plently of similarities with both) it's trying to do its own thing and requires much more use of the analog stick that most action gamers are used to.

It's going to piss off and alienate a lot of people, but the ones that stick with it will be handsomely rewarded.

Yeah definitely. It's a very, very stick heavy game, even excluding blade mode.

Agree with all this. It feels really good IMO, as long as the camera cooperates. I really hope there are some good unlocks and additions to the moveset.

Yeah, camera is a bit if a nuisance. It's tolerable when you get into a rhythm of lock-on/lock-off and keep track of where everybody is. Two issues I can identify are:

a) Auto correction. You are almost constantly fighting subtle auto correct. This most easily spotted at the very start of the demo mission, on the beach. Try and adjust the vertical axis of the camera and the game will always fight it back down to its set perspective. This makes sense while you're moving, not so much while you're standing still.

b) It's slooooow. Vanquish and Bayonetta had option variables for camera speed. There's absolutely no reason Rising shouldn't have the same. Having it locked to one speed is pretty silly.

If neither of these are amended in the full version I hope at least the latter is patched in. Just a camera control speed. That's it. It's a game will a free camera. Silly to lock the speed.

Gave the demo a second go and generally did a lot better. I'm finding the dodge move isn't terribly reliable though, often resulting in a sword swing instead of a sideways leap.

Good demo and I'm buying for sure but it felt like there was little depth to it. Like in the boss battle all I did was ninja run around the stupid robot and got a few hits in.

I'm gonna try out those combos that dude posted on this page though. But man I wish Itagaki or Kamiya (lol enemies) made this one.

but then I guess I was expecting a Ninja Gaiden clone here. Will need to try and play this differently.

edit: Reading this thread I was doing it wrong oh man lol.

PowderedToast

remember when everyone had a go at ninja theory for not having a jump button in heavenly sword, lack of dodge in revengeance is equivalent to that

i get that PG went for something different, but it doesn't work. they didn't successfully replace what dodge adds to combat

Played the demo, the first good single player only action game of the year. Although the demo is kind of middling without being able to see the higher difficulties and what that entails. Game is pretty much exactly what I expected and wanted though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
remember when everyone had a go at ninja theory for not having a jump button in heavenly sword, lack of dodge in revengeance is equivalent to that

i get that PG went for something different, but it doesn't work. they didn't successfully replace what dodge adds to combat

what is that?

But....there's still a dodge.

And what does it matter if all the enemies are built around the game not being dodge heavy? This is gonna be like the RE4 no strafing nonsense all over again.

Ein Bear

There is a dodge: X + Square

Or be a true ninja and parry everything before delivering swift REVENGEANCE.

TGMIII

You're meant to parry attacks instead of dodging, in what way doesn't that work? You keep momentum, so long as you parry at the right time, which is the point of the whole mechanic.

Monocle

Wat. Not only is there an offensive dodge that's super lenient in terms of your invulnerability window, but the parrying system lets you pretty much attack without stopping if you get the timing down. The key in action games is to maintain offensive momentum while neutralizing or avoiding attacks. In MGR you can do both, and both techniques can be canceled into from nearly any animation.

So I really don't understand what the complaint is.

Gave the demo a second go and generally did a lot better. I'm finding the dodge move isn't terribly reliable though, often resulting in a sword swing instead of a sideways leap.

It's supposed to be a combination sword swing and evasion, meant for attacking and getting out of range of whatever is coming at you. Makes for a great dodge for now though.

This, besides being Metal Gear, is what will keep me coming back to this game. Putting all those elements EatChildren mentioned together makes me realize how far Platinum/KojiPro wanted to set it apart from it's peers.

I'm on the side of this game clicking really early with me. Though the DmC demo was decent enough to me, the impact the HF blade has here is so satisfying, and watching all the different enemy animations after you've cut enemies a certain way.

Only regrets with this demo was the camera, but used to it now, and no available hard mode. I hope we see several harder modes for this, at least two between hard and European Extreme.

True. I guess that's very samurai-like; you don't have to dodge and roll like a dirty ninja or half-demon.

It's supposed to be a combination sword swing and evasion, meant for attacking and getting out of range of whatever is coming at you. Makes for a great dodge for now though.

I mean that Raiden will leap forward with a sword strike instead of doing the dodge/attack move that I'm after. The analogue control seems very touchy.

PowderedToast

what is that?

being able to dodge

-

i am using parry but that is not dodging, it's lacks mobility

to me this is neither an action game or a stealth game , it's occupying this weird middle ground and it suffers for that. i mean if all the mechanics are designed around being on the offense then why is there an alert system? it doesn't make any logical sense

i tried the x + square, that's dodge alright. a bit rubbish in practice but there you go

branny

I mean that Raiden will leap forward with a sword strike instead of doing the dodge/attack move that I'm after. The analogue control seems very touchy.
Are you having trouble doing it to the left? I keep getting that strike when I do it to the left. It's based on Raiden's position, too, so you have to adjust your input depending on the direction he's facing. I think the neutral backstep is the only thing that works consistently when I'm fighting.

Maybe trying 1 or 3 (down/left, down/right) instead of 4 or 6 (left, right) for it adjusted to Raiden's facing direction works better.

being able to dodge

-

i am using parry but that is not dodging, it's lacks mobility

to me this is neither an action game or a stealth game , it's occupying this weird middle ground and it suffers for that. i mean if all the mechanics are designed around being on the offense then why is there an alert system? it doesn't make any logical sense

i tried the x + square, that's dodge alright. a bit rubbish in practice but there you go

There's no middle ground, this is an action game. The janky stealth is more like an easter egg than a real mechanic. I've played the demo 5+ times and haven't once tried a stealth playthrough.

Guiz

I played the demo a bit this morning and my first concern was the parry system and the blade mode which was, imo, a waste of time and was killing the tempo of the action...

Then I come to the thread and I found many details about the gameplay I missed in my first playthrough.
I think I'll give a second try tonight to see if I get used to the gameplay.

Top Bottom