• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wear earplugs to the movies now

It'll be a real bummer when you lose your hearing and hearing clear, loud sounds is a thing of the past for you

yes, downwards (your going deaf). You are not superman. keep it up and you'll see. Listen to your peers in this thread.

I have tinitus but it comes and goes. Since I work at a hospital, I went ahead and made an appointment to check my hearing. So I'll see if you guys are right.

I think it's fine... I often hear things people can't so I'm not sure if my hearing is bad.

Weevilone

I have tinitus but it comes and goes. Since I work at a hospital, I went ahead and made an appointment to check my hearing. So I'll see if you guys are right.

I think it's fine... I often hear things people can't so I'm not sure if my hearing is bad.

I had tinnitus and hearing loss as measured by the audiologist, but I was the same .. could always hear stuff others couldn't. I think I'm past that now, as I'm starting to have trouble discerning voice among background noise.

Good to preserve what you have.

Canklestank

Neo Member
I think I'm going to buy some earplugs for my wife and I because of this thread. Not just for movies, but also a club we go to occasionally. I always walk out with everything sounding "dull". I'm afraid of my hearing getting worse, should have done this a long time ago. Thanks guys!

Fhtagn

I fucking love loud movies and hate it when its not loud enough. Too loud is extremely rare to me. Its more like the rare movie has some parts that get too loud.

I think clubs and concerts are very different. Even a Nolan Imax movie never gets close to that loud.

Unfortunately going out to clubs and concerts means your ears will be assaulted and you'll have ringing for a long time. A movie theater has never done that to me though.

I go to concerts a lot and honestly I've had some movie experiences that were just as loud or worse.

Herne

I thought Dunkirk was loud, but not terrible. My elderly mother who went to a different cinema thought the same.

Weevilone

So wait for the Dvd then

I fucking loved the sound in Dunkirk.. most memorable moviegoing experience in years

Point missed.

You can't "wait for the DVD" when you don't know it's going to be loud as hell before you get there. Once there, nobody wants to leave.

Loving really loud sound isn't really the point, as that's essentially unrelated. You can love it or not love it, but sound that's too loud does damage either way. Pretty much everyone has a great time with loud sound until one day damn, you've fucked up.

Someday you'll probably get to re-read this thread and wonder why you ignored it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The regular Blade Runner 2049 showing was deafening at some parts. I was tempted to grab my ear plugs a few times. Only time I wore them throughout a movie was IMAX Dunkirk. Also speaking of earplugs I was baffled how so few people wear them. I was at Gorillaz concert this week and I swear I was the only person at the front wearing ear plugs. I looked around and not a single person had any.

Weevilone

The regular Blade Runner 2049 showing was deafening at some parts. I was tempted to grab my ear plugs a few times. Only time I wore them throughout a movie was IMAX Dunkirk. Also speaking of earplugs I was baffled how so few people wear them. I was at Gorillaz concert this week and I swear I was the only person at the front wearing ear plugs. I looked around and not a single person had any.

The thing that freaks me out the most is seeing employees that are likely making minimum wage, not wearing plugs.

Nelo Ice

Banned
The thing that freaks me out the most is seeing employees that are likely making minimum wage, not wearing plugs.

Hell people think I'm crazy for even wearing them. Was at Coachella this year and my friends/family kept questioning why I even bothered. The sad thing is some of them had perfectly good ear plugs but stubbornly refused to wear them because reasons. Apparently protecting your hearing and risking tinnitus were not good enough arguments.

Kickz

MadMax I remember was loud as fuuuuck but yea shit is to loud in general

I thought they did it to drown out theatre talkers/distractions etc

burgervan

I've never had this problem until Dunkirk in Imax. Leaving the theater felt like leaving a rock show and not in a good way.

I'm appreciaate the warnings about Blade Runner. I plan on seeing it this weekend and was considering Imax. I'm a musician/producer and I value my hearing too much to risk damaging it for a movie.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and wanted to follow up since I was curious about this. I brought earplugs but didn't use them because the volume kept going back to normal. However, I did cover my ears in a couple of scenes. Most of the movie was tolerable, and then there would be the test scenes with the ear-piercing high noise, or someone would get in a flying car and the soundtrack would go all BRAWWWWW for no apparent reason.

My theater isn't usually too loud, and my fiance is fine with loud movies most of the time, more so than me. However, the big action scene near the end of the movie was so overbearingly loud that even her ears started physically hurting. :(

lawnchair

Banned
I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 last night and wanted to follow up since I was curious about this. I brought earplugs but didn't use them because the volume kept going back to normal. However, I did cover my ears in a couple of scenes. Most of the movie was tolerable, and then there would be the test scenes with the ear-piercing high noise, or someone would get in a flying car and the soundtrack would go all BRAWWWWW for no apparent reason.

My theater isn't usually too loud, and my fiance is fine with loud movies most of the time, more so than me. However, the big action scene near the end of the movie was so overbearingly loud that even her ears started physically hurting. :(

i saw the same movie and had close to the same experience. i wouldn't say that i was in pain, it was just uncomfortably loud, particularly when the cars were flying or during the climactic action scene. i'm supposed to be really there for that scene, and i wasn't because the movie was so fucking loud. it was kind of a bummer.

this has been an ongoing problem for me recently and this time i actually emailed the theater about it. i quickly got a response.. they said that the movie studios demand that their movies be played at certain volumes. so, whoever distributes bladerunner or whatever says "this movie must be played at X volume". i'm not sure if that's true or not. don't really have a way to check. the guy basically said "sorry but we can't do anything about it". pretty disappointing.

Yeah I'm kinda glad I didn't see Dunkirk in Imax, doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. I saw Blade Runner 2049 in Imax though and I didn't think it was too loud. The only thing annoying me was this dude sitting behind me laughing every 5 seconds. It wasn't even a funny movie!

Top Bottom