• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZTE announces Axon M (Dual 5.2" folding 1080p screen android phone)

Jeffrey

ZTE at it again doing wacky stuff after that hilarious failed kickstarter, bringing us the spiritual successor to the Kyocera Echo.

Should at least be more usable now that android better supports splitscreen. Also a preview of the experience to come with the rumored samsung galaxy folding screen phone.

Basically a thick 5.2" 1080p 2016 flagship phone (sd821, 4gb ram, 3180mah battery, 7.1.2 nougat $725) with a gimmick of flipping its back up to be dual screens, ala backwards DS.

The modes seem similar to your windows multimonitor stuff. (mirror mode, so you can put the phone in a 'tent' and have 2 people watch a video?, extended mode to give a squarish tablet with middle bezel, dual apps, traditional 1 screen mode when closed).

previews:

https://youtu.be/lRjFk2ka56E
https://youtu.be/pdY8EGR4VPQ
https://youtu.be/xX31xYRl-II

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/17/zte-axon-m-hands-zte-actually-made-kind-good-foldable-phone/
https://www.gsmarena.com/foldable_zte_axon_m_is_official_with_dual_touchscreens-news-27776.php

ap_resize.php

nexus2cee_DSC08227_thumb.jpg

nexus2cee_DSC08260_thumb.jpg

ap_resize.php

ap_resize.php

ap_resize.php

Initial thoughts:

The good:

- Axon name, so headphone jack + quad dac, stereo speaker setup.
- clean stockish android.
- the modes seem well thought out, easily switch with the M button.
- For a weird concept phone, not really many compromises in a year where everyone is dropping headphone jacks or something for 'water resistance' or w/e the current excuse is.
- actual dual apps is something you just can't do on phones for many apps. Like you can pokemon go while watching youtube or be on discord.

The bad:

- at&t exclusive in the US.
- doesn't launch with oreo.
- $700+ is a bit pricey for a gimmicky phone that I doubt no one will truly support.
- still some limitations of android creeping in, like android police noticed that in portrait opened mode, keyboard will only appear on the left or right screen.
- bezel in the middle
- 2016 cpu is a bummer because it doesn't get the battery optimizations of the smaller 10nm chipset of the 835, which I bet this phone would need with that smallish 3180 mah battery.
- can't really use a case, and if you drop the phone, and crack either side, you kinda boned.

Anyways, i'm hyped for the future of smartphones.

jwk94

That looks like shit. But they gotta start somewhere I guess.
Yeah it looks really bad. There's really no good way to do a clamshell phone. Either both screens are exposed or you leave a bit of space between the two for grit to get between the cracks.

Hexa

Nope. This is simply a bad idea until you have flexible screens. That is where you need to start. After that there'll still be a lot of work figuring out what configurations actually work, but this is all around terrible and unnecessary.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
samsung is gonna come for that dual screen booty in 2018. meaning sleeker design and actual software support.

i hope.

Double the chance of cracking a screen when dropping

Really need that.

Actually looks interesting, the tablet like mode is kind of cool but not at that price for a phone that's unlikely to get the support it needs

Zen Aku

Its nice that they're trying to do this, but it does feel like it should be in the oven for another year or two until they can make it better. At this point the design feel like it's in developmental phase. Guess they really wanted to beat Samsung to the jump in making the first dual screen phone.

dcll

Banned
I am a huge fan of ZTE phones after first owning the Zmax and since then I have owned the Zmax 2, Axon 7, Axon 7 Mini, Zmax pro and the Blade V8 Pro. The Blade V8 Pro is pretty much the same specs as the Moto Z Play but cheaper.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm trying my hardest to think why having 2 screens helps anything... and I can't think of anything.

A bendable single screen though, I get that for sure. This.. I don't need this.

This looks like the dumbest fucking thing. Why even make this. Why spend the money. Baffling stuff all-around. People are calling it an experiment and while that's true to some degree, they're still releasing it internationally and in the USA.

Jeffrey

This looks like the dumbest fucking thing. Why even make this. Why spend the money. Baffling stuff all-around. People are calling it an experiment and while that's true to some degree, they're still releasing it internationally and in the USA.

People been making concept phones in R&D for years, but xiaomi realized you can get ppl to pay money for them, and apple is following suit with iphone x.

ZTE is following the trend!

Samsung will later too with the foldy screen.

I think flexible OLED displays are fascinating and they'll enable some cool stuff we haven't thought of yet, but this isn't it. The engineering advantages to keeping phones and tablets as one solid block are too high to outweigh whatever benefits this might confer.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
We've got smartphones with actual bendable screens right around the corner and these fuckos just glued two smartphones together at the seams. 'the fuck outta here.

Top Bottom