• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Art of Mass Effect outs two more ME3 squadmates (spoilers)

Dennis

Banned
In Mass Effect there were long stretches of gameplay without many enemies, just you in a weird and wonderful alien enviroments.

Bioware now believe that there must be non-stop killing.

Samara

Fuck, I want to look at the spoilers so bad. :( Looking at some of the posts I think I have an idea. the other one, no freaking clue

Derrick01

Banned
I don't even really have that much of a problem with the first one. I think it's kind of dumb but it's easily explainable
An AI could take over any robot body, so it's whatever to me

The second character we kind of already knew about since I think they leaked it on a preorder page a long time ago. But the character itself is so unbelievably stupid and makes no sense in the overall series story that it just fills me with anger at modern Bioware. They're such a horrible company now.

mxgt

Banned
I would love to see you guys out and about on a weekend night.

GAF Guy #1: Man, check out that girl! So hot!
GAF Guy #2: Are you serious? Look at her tits and sex-appeal? Pass.
GAF Guy #1: God, you're right. Thanks for keeping me in check.

If it was up to me there'd be double D's on every Mass Effect character.

Believe it or not some of us don't like the ME series for the female characters.

Do we really need spoiler tags in this thread? I mean, the entire thread is about the spoilers.

Anyway
prothean
looks kinda cool but... the other one... really? Are they trying to appeal to the
Cortana
lovers?

Solo

In Mass Effect there were long stretches of gameplay without many enemies, just you in a weird and wonderful alien enviroments.

Bioware now believe that there must be non-stop killing.

Remember how incredible it was exploring the Citadel and the Wards below in Mass Effect for the first time? It was a wonderfully realized locale filled with tons of interesting things to do.

Remember exploring the Citadel in Mass Effect 2? It was two rooms. LOL.

Wallach

I generally have no problem with the moderation on this board, but there's something to be said in support of a moderator that chooses to voluntarily recuse him or herself from a topic due to a vested (fan oriented) interest. I don't mean to impugn anyone, but the quoted comment is a gross generalization and unworthy of serious debate. There are plenty of honest and valid complaints about the story progression in this franchise that don't rely or hinge on hyperbole. *shrug*

There's no reason any moderator on this board should stop themselves from participating in any discussion unless they think the discussion is inappropriate for the board (at which point they'd be closing the thread since they're a moderator).

While there's definitely plenty of honest and valid complaints about both games to be made, but that doesn't mean he isn't right that just about every Mass Effect thread for... I don't know, at least a year has been much of anything but a storm of shitposting, either.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, but I thought was particularily bad here what with a somewhat realistic tone and a galaxy-sized threat.
Reaper hits the Citadel, hundreds of ships destoyed, lives lost, etc. Shepard fights Saren.

Reaper hits Earth, send Shepard, our hero, destroyer of Reaper fetuses.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I generally have no problem with the moderation on this board, but there's something to be said in support of a moderator that chooses to voluntarily recuse him or herself from a topic due to a vested (fan oriented) interest. I don't mean to impugn anyone, but the quoted comment is a gross generalization and unworthy of serious debate. There are plenty of honest and valid complaints about the story progression in this franchise that don't rely or hinge on hyperbole. *shrug*

It's a gross generalisation because you chose, incorrectly at that, to interpret as such. If you took the time to read my own posts and discussions about the series, particularly the critical ones, you'll find I've got my own issues with BioWare's chosen direction with the franchise. In fact, you'll find some of them in this thread.

But I'm not going to pander to the hilarious hyperbole that shits up every Mass Effect related thread. People claiming that they're now cancelling their pre-order, or no longer intending to get the game at launch, because of these two characters, are either liars, or were never interested in the series to begin with, and in either case are simply posting to, as usual, stir the pot and make it clear they don't want the game.

EDIT: And see we're already back to discussing how the series is now all about dudebro murder. Next up reminiscing the Mako, and overheating vs ammunition.

Shepard

Do we really need spoiler tags in this thread? I mean, the entire thread is about the spoilers.

Anyway
prothean
looks kinda cool but... the other one... really? Are they trying to appeal to the Cortana lovers?

I sure hope the in-game model differ significantly from the art. I hated Vega's game informer reveal but after seeing the ingame model I was kinda ok with him.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't even really have that much of a problem with the first one. I think it's kind of dumb but it's easily explainable
An AI could take over any robot body, so it's whatever to me

The second character we kind of already knew about since I think they leaked it on a preorder page a long time ago. But the character itself is so unbelievably stupid and makes no sense in the overall series story that it just fills me with anger at modern Bioware. They're such a horrible company now.

Well duh we know why
edi can be in a robot body (I guess you can fit a blue box in there? is it remote controled? what happens if there is interference?) but it so silly. Especially over having a cutting edge spaceship as a body.

Dennis

Banned
I can sort of understand how someone who thinks Mass Effect 2 was better than Mass Effect and who is super optimistic about Mass Effect 3, can find these threads to be downers.

AHAHAHAHA. I see Bioware finally making that romance between
EDI and Joker
a possibility.

the face Joker had in that pic is pretty hilarious.

It's a gross generalisation because you chose, incorrectly at that, to interpret as such. If you took the time to read my own posts and discussions about the series, particularly the critical ones, you'll find I've got my own issues with BioWare's chosen direction with the franchise. In fact, you'll find some of them in this thread.

But I'm not going to pander to the hilarious hyperbole that shits up every Mass Effect related thread. People claiming that they're now cancelling their pre-order, or no longer intending to get the game at launch, because of these two characters, are either liars, or were never interested in the series to begin with, and in either case are simply posting to, as usual, stir the pot and make it clear they don't want the game.

Who was doing this in the thread though?

Salvadora

I don't think anyone is. Personally I'll be buying the game day one and playing it to completion, which will serve both as the conclusion of the trilogy and the end of my tenure as a Bioware customer.

You will be back. They always come back

Dennis

Banned
I imagine Bioware are planning more Mass Effect games but it is hard to see how the 'epicness' can be matched in the future.

Also, lol, EatChildren and Shepard seem somewhat upset....

EDIT: And see we're already back to discussing how the series is now all about dudebro murder. Next up reminiscing the Mako, and overheating vs ammunition.

Heck, I'm still hyped for the game. I'll just try and leave at least one of these two characters by the wayside if I don't like the way their stories go.

But dammit, I'm hoping BioWare can make me feel like I'm standing at that console in Virmire again. I want to feel actual dread. ME2 tried this with Arrival, and while I liked that final moment where you're staring down evil itself, it was far too brief.

Shepard

I imagine Bioware are planning more Mass Effect games but it is hard to see how the 'epicness' can be matched in the future.

I'd love to see a game that took place during the Prothean/Reaper war, that would be epic.
Also, I'm really upset here, hitting my head against the monitor as I write.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Not upset, but frustrated at the incessant derailing of every Mass Effect topic into the same debates regardless of what the actual topic is.

It's funny, but they've actually served as pretty decent encouragement for keeping my ME3 blackout, as I loath having to endure the threads.

Salvadora

Not upset, but frustrated at the incessant derailing of every Mass Effect topic into the same debates regardless of what the actual topic is.

It's funny, but they've actually served as pretty decent encouragement for keeping my ME3 blackout, as I loath having to endure the threads.

Did you look?

Songbird

Prodigal Son

I'm sorry mate but that's just rubbish. I am a huge fan of the first two games and was ready and willing to get this day one, all until the recent story leaks. Some of those plot points combined with the two characters in the OP are almost offensively bad... I'm just not willing to spend the money and play this game anymore, it's as simple as that.

Hell, I even tolerate Vega!

Odrion

Banned
The first one... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA

I swear I read someone jokingly say that in ME3 you'd be able to
fuck the ship.
I guess Blizzard was listening!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm not to excited about the new squadmates but damn I need to finish the story so I'm still buying the special edition. I hope my man Jacob comes back.

Dennis

Banned
Getting this game day 1.

I have avoided the story spoilers but I don't mind knowing about squad and gameplay details.

scarybore

Probably impossible unless they take it to a universal scale and even then, it would essentially be a retread. I would like if they went to a smaller scale, focus more on characters and interactions rather than worrying about the big bad coming to fuck up your day. The universe has a lot of potential, even if it has arguably been mishandled so far.

i drew some fanart check it out: http://i.imgur.com/SDq89.jpg

masseffect2084shortenlqfvu.gif

Conor 419

Banned
I have to agree with EatChildren, the chances are that if you're not willing to give ME3 a try, then you almost certainly didn't like the series anyway.

People claiming that they're now cancelling their pre-order, or no longer intending to get the game at launch, because of these two characters, are either liars, or were never interested in the series to begin with, and in either case are simply posting to, as usual, stir the pot and make it clear they don't want the game.

In my case, this is just the final nail in the coffin when it comes to not getting the game at launch. A few months ago this was a no-brainer decision but leaks and recent marketing have really eroded my confidence in the product, and this is something I've criticised in other ME3 threads.

Still, it's easy to see how others might misinterpret that. If you'd prefer, read "I think this is a bad idea and in conjunction with other released information has finally caused me to decide not to get the game at launch."

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I have to agree with EatChildren, the chances are that if you're not willing to give ME3 a try, then you almost certainly didn't like the series anyway.

I admit I've been critical of the series from the first but I wouldnt have played through both if I didnt like something.

This is a defensive generalization.

First one doesn't bother me that much actually....
the geth already transfer between different platforms, so it makes sense that EDI can do it to.

The story of the second game, and just the general direction of the franchise, is for me, beyond the point where I'm going to get caught up on the large, overarching, story details. I honestly just hope for some small, character centric, nuanced things to be in the game, and for them to be good. If the character is good, I really won't care.

Regarding the second one...

He may be "mid term", but it also wouldn't surprise me if it was a retcon. Wouldn't be the first time actually. The Batarians were originally different looking, the codex entry was replaced when Bring down the sky came out and showed what they "really" look like.

Another thought...wouldn't it make sense that there were different species of Prothean? Maybe the squid things on Ilos are a different species than the ones that the collectors were based off of?

Actually, now that I think about it...I actually like this idea. It makes sense that there should have been different prothean species....the same way the current galaxy has many different species.

And they already made the point in the second game that only one species is truly worthy of become a....giant terminator lol. Maybe the collector race was enslaved, while the squid face race was made into machine or whatever the hell.

No idea if Bioware will take this route, or if they even think about these sort of details.

Like I said with EDI though, I'll take a well written character over anything.

Probably impossible unless they take it to a universal scale and even then, it would essentially be a retread. I would like if they went to a smaller scale, focus more on characters and interactions rather than worrying about the big bad coming to fuck up your day. The universe has a lot of potential, even if it has arguably been mishandled so far.

I want this too....for like every single game ever, lol.

They won't do it. Game developers at the large studios seem to be incapable of nuance.

Dennis

Banned

We NEED that C-Sec game featuring Thane, Garrus and Shepard. Taking down bad guys.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
We NEED that C-Sec game featuring Thane, Garrus and Shepard. Taking down bad guys.

I'm totally down, minus Shepard. After this game, I'm ready for Bioware to retire her. I would absolutely love a smaller scale Mass Effect game (with a self-contained story) that isn't all about saving the universe from destruction or whatever.

Top Bottom