• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida apologises for "atrocious" gamescom stream camera work

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Where's the .gif/video of the GiantBomb crew laughing at this? I was crying when that happened hahaha

2532533-brad.gif

Withnail

Didn't watch it but that GIF is pretty hilarious.

The apology is nice and if it's been noticed at Yoshida's level then it (probably) won't happen again.

Yoshida seems like a cool guy for a senior exec.

$h@d0w

The way he kept moving his hands back and forth like in the gif was so so annoying, he never stopped it.

I think the framing was wrong, too close. Loads of presenters move their hands around as an emotive gesture and it looks fine.

Konosuke

The director really sucked, who cares about the zooming stuff at all, I didn't get to see direct feed of the games because of that idiot.

banjo5150

That's awesome that he made mention of it. Most corporate guys would sweep it under the rug and act if everything was perfect. Love Shu.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Everyone makes mistakes, don't be so harsh on the cameraman.

I would definitly not fire him. After seeing the shitstorm he caused, this guy will never again zoom out of trailers during a conference ever again. So he is, as of now, the best guy for the job.

Camera work really soured the event for me. Every single time a new game was shown, they'd fucking cut to sweeping shots of the crowd throughout the trailer. I'm generally a pretty calm dude, but I was really losing my rag by the end. When you see the unveiling of awesome new titles like Murasaki Baby, Rime and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, the last thing you want to see is a hundred laptop screens lighting up a dark room.

It winds me up just thinking back on it now. Someone needs to be fired over that.

I feel like the camera switching had to be automated. Those seemingly endless shots of the conference floor during gameplay videos couldn't have been a conscious decision.

Camera work really soured the event for me. Every single time a new game was shown, they'd fucking cut to sweeping shots of the crowd throughout the trailer. I'm generally a pretty calm dude, but I was really losing my rag by the end. When you see the unveiling of awesome new titles like Murasaki Baby, Rime and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, the last thing you want to see is a hundred laptop screens lighting up a dark room.

It winds me up just thinking back on it now. Someone needs to be fired over that.

Pretty well sums up my feelings precisely.

haha that zoom really made me go D: when it happened, it was so random

at least they know, checking reddit, lots of people were talking about the bad camera work.

we need more zooms B^)

SJRB

Gold Member
If any, blame the director of the show and not the cameraman. Someone should've instructed the cameraman to stop being an asshole.

Atruvius

The camera work was just awful, just because when gameplay was shown the camera just started panning around.

I had no idea there was a Giant Bomb stream going on. There goes my next two hours.

Durante

Yeah, it really was remarkably terrible. The camerawork/directing at a conference is not usually something I even notice, but here it annoyed me already minutes into the conference.

red731

That was okayish, but what pissed me off most was when there was something directly from the game, they show us the poeple and THEN get back again to direct feed.

lol, imagine if they showed off The Last Guardian (or a Demons Souls II) PS4 trailer and the camera was zoomed on the crowd the whole time.

GAF would have been covered in anger & tears.

SykoTech

Good that he knows, because it was indeed terrible. The Second Son trailer in particular was ruined because of the zoom outs.

qq more

I couldn't see one of the indie games shown at the conference because of the camera work. The entire time of the game's reveal the camera was far away from the screen. Worst part is that it was a fellow GAFer's indie game. I wanted to see what it looked like :/

Thank goodness Shu has acknowledged that. It was painful and frustrating viewing the majority of the time. Most of the conference I felt I was sitting at the back of the audience, because all I could see was the back of their heads and tiny screens in the distance... except that one time when we got a bit too close for comfort to Jim Ryan (who should also not bother presenting next time).

The show director was fucking drunk.
Had to be.

Director: "Ok... zoom out."
Director: "Stay zoomed."
Director: "Zoom in. FAST!"
Director: "CLOSE UP!"
Director: "Zoom out; pan the back of the audience."
Director: "Ok, now pan back over the audience."
Director: "Zoom in... NO WAIT."
You nailed it.

sublimit

Banned
Seriously that was so amateurish that i was starting to think they were doing it on purpose going for a more "edgy" style. :p

TheJLC

Good that they acknowledged it, because it was very annoying.

Hey here's a trailer!
*zooms out*
Bahahahaha!
*goes back to direct feed*
Alright, alright. Here you go.
*zooms out again*
Hahaha made you look!

I don't think it's the cameraman, but the director who decides the transition and what shots to focus/when.

The crazy zoom as shown in the gif is the work of the cameraman. The ridiculous direct-feed and off-camera back-and-forth during trailers was definitely the work of the production director. But not the zoom.

Top Bottom