• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida apologises for "atrocious" gamescom stream camera work

The crazy zoom as shown in the gif is the work of the cameraman. The ridiculous direct-feed and off-camera back-and-forth during trailers was definitely the work of the production director. But not the zoom.

As other people have said, this was more than likely a miscue, because that looked a lot more like a rack focus attempt than any gaffe. The director likely told that cameraman that the shot wasn't hot anymore, and was mistaken.

Theecliff

Banned
It pissed me off so much whenever it went from direct feed to a shot of the audience during a trailer or some gameplay. I wanted to see what was actually on the screen, not other people watching it dammit!

Nokterian

Reminds me of Wayne's World. "Extreme close-up! WOOOAHHHH!"

Whahaha oh man that movie is still gold!

tumblr_m5hv47ZLmh1ru9pppo1_500.gif

Wayne's World - Sponsor scene

One of my favorite scenes..product placements (what also happens in games these days)

Moosehole

God, it was so annoying when the kept cutting away from the direct feed during gameplay sequences and trailers.

That Wayne's World extreme close-up was awesome, though.

In before people forget that Camera operating and vision mixing (switching between cameras) are two different things.

oh wait.

And the camera OP isnt to blame, nor is the vision mixer. Both are being told what to do by a producer, who in this case clearly didnt know what they was supposed to show. Probably a random industry guy who produced like it was any other type of live event. They simply didnt know what was the important shots, thats all.

Most annoying Camera switching ever. Who fucking cares about seeing the stage during a trailer? :/

This was the biggest thing for me, even worse than the odd camera moves.

A lot of the trailers/gameplay were fantastic, once we finally got to see half of them properly after the show on Sony's youtube, since half the time the camera was zoomed so far out you couldn't see them well, not to mention the long, poorly-timed cutaways/late cut-ins from the direct feed which people already mentioned too.

teiresias

love how the camera always zoom out when a trailer is on, often when there are text on the screen.

This is a problem at every event, not just at this year's Gamescon. I really don't know how hard it is for Sony & MS to tell whoever the director is choosing the feeds to recorded that when a trailer starts you ALWAYS stay on the direct feed of the trailer and NEVER cut away. It's freaking ridiculous.

megalowho

In before people forget that Camera operating and vision mixing (switching between cameras) are two different things.

oh wait.

And the camera OP isnt to blame, nor is the vision mixer. Both are being told what to do by a producer, who in this case clearly didnt know what they was supposed to show. Probably a random industry guy who produced like it was any other type of live event. They simply didnt know what was the important shots, thats all.
Yep, all on the person calling the show. Working with A/V crews, some of those folks are really stubborn about the shots that look good in their head, sticking with what they're comfortable doing instead of accommodating for what actually works on the fly (and personally my worst experiences have been with European crews.. sorry Europe!) Pretty funny stuff though, you know there were folks in the booth tearing their hair out let alone everyone viewing the stream.

Raist

Banned
Yeah that was pretty bad.

"What is this now? Video games? Quick, do a panoramic view of the audience. Oh the guy in the nice suit is talking again, back to him now!"

Top Bottom