• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zelda TP spoiler thread: ALL SPOILERS IN HERE OR ELSE (late game spoilers itt)

dreamkats

MiamiWesker said:
You did what? I hate you. :)

don't worry, it was just the same demo that you can find on Nintendo Fusion Tour... I'll have to wait the end of november to play the actual game (if cinebox doesn't fail me)

dreamkats said:
don't worry, it was just the same demo that you can find on Nintendo Fusion Tour... I'll have to wait the end of november to play the actual game (if cinebox doesn't fail me)

I missed the tour, they said Zelda wasn't there when it came to south florida. All of a sudden when it reached Georgia it had Zelda. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Branduil

dreamkats said:

You can still give us impressions.

Or we will cut you.

AniHawk said:
Probably hold some button down.

I don't think there are any free buttons left? Besides...it wouldn't make much sense to do that, considering everything else is motion controlled. Well actually, that's not entirely true--the jumping sword downthrust is done with a button, if I recall correctly...anyway, I hope you're right.

taddpoll

In the first vid, what is the small, white, spinning thing on the ground near the enemy?
I've watched this many times now, but I'm assuming it's an indicator that something is in the ground to perhaps dig or sniff out? I dunno, but take a look.

Xdrive05

taddpoll said:
In the first vid, what is the small, white, spinning thing on the ground near the enemy?
I've watched this many times now, but I'm assuming it's an indicator that something is in the ground to perhaps dig or sniff out? I dunno, but take a look.

That's the "A" button on the HUD. It's flashes when Link can parry an attack, like how WW's "A" button flashed with that yellow comic book effect.

EDIT: Now that I watch it again, I'm not sure that's what's going on. It continues to flash a few times AFTER that thing is defeated.

dkeane

taddpoll said:
What? Isn't it just the A button on the HUD?

It's on the left side of the screen after the battle is over...it looks kind of like some sort of glowy worm thing on the ground, it's not a button indicator.

Dragona Akehi said:
Left handed mode?

Oh come on Dragona, stop talking about that damn left handed business. We're all sick of it already (and this is not directed just at you, but everyone who keeps talking about it).

Alkaliine said:
Oh come on Dragona, stop talking about that damn left handed business. We're all sick of it already (and this is not directed just at you, but everyone who keeps talking about it).

I play with my goddamned left hand and I don't want to be disoriented by Link using his right.

PS: Once I know, then I'll no longer ASK about it.

Dragona Akehi said:
I play with my goddamned left hand and I don't want to be disoriented by Link using his right.

Given it's not 1:1 sword controls, personally I think you'll be surprised on how much of a non-issue it actually is.

Game-Biz

Dragona Akehi said:

You'll be ok. All you have to do is shake the controller to fight with the sword (similarly to how you shake the controller to shoot Mario from planet to planet in Galaxy), so it shouldn't feel too awkward.

Alkaliine said:
Given it's not 1:1 sword controls, personally I think you'll be surprised on how much of a non-issue it actually is.

Then why make him right handed in the first place?

Regardless I JUST WANT TO KNOW. CHRIST.

Game-Biz said:
You'll be ok. All you have to do is shake the controller to fight with the sword (similarly to how you shake the controller to shoot Mario from planet to planet in Galaxy), so it shouldn't feel too awkward.

Correct, though personally I'm going to be slashing all over the place.

dannie

you don't need a left hand mode to use left hand attack~you just left hand take the remote
sure right hand is better ~because on screen link is right hand

dreamkats said:
I checked that too, and didn't find a way to perform it... I can try again next tuesday, I'll be aple to play that demo again.

Havent they limited what you can do during battle in the demos? I know one of them mentioned that in the real game, you can do much more

I don't understand why would they take manual camera control off the game. They can still make it that you hold down C button to adjust the camera with wii-mote, and tap c button to go into first person view. =/

mugwhump

Twilight Princess said:
I don't understand why would they take manual camera control off the game. They can still make it that you hold down C button to adjust the camera with wii-mote, and tap c button to go into first person view. =/
Better yet, just make first-person up on the D-pad. I don't think it's being used. Maybe.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, somewhat off topic, but anyone have a link to the Nintendo E3 2004 conference thread?

dreamkats

Alkaliine said:
IMPRESSIONS...NOW!

sorry, cant' do it, two other friends of mine (working on the same website) just finished playing it (3 hours ftw at nintendo booth in paris), and I'm going to have lunch with them in Paris now

I promise I'll be back soon, and post my impressions

and btw, this demo isn't new, it's looks very similar to E3 one... I mean, dungeon with iron boots and stuff... The one TSA had tried to speedrun IIRC.

and no lefty mode, although it wasn't hsocking to me to play as a righty (and yet, I'm a Zelda whore)

Xrenity

I saw someone play as a leftie. You just swap the controller and nunchuck and do what everyone does.

I'm right handed though, and I liked it very much. Slashing is awesome, aiming is handy. Only thing I missed was cam control.

Oblivion said:
You do a spin attack by rotating the nunchuck. But how do you do a charged spin attack? :(
What would you need a charged spin attack for when there's no magic meter.

Caaz

Uhm... i was following the Zelda Retrospective, and I saw that:
Midnajpg.jpg

Which reminds me of that and that (behind the logo).

... hm?

NSider

MadraptorMan said:
I don't think there are any free buttons left? Besides...it wouldn't make much sense to do that, considering everything else is motion controlled. Well actually, that's not entirely true--the jumping sword downthrust is done with a button, if I recall correctly...anyway, I hope you're right.

Did you know that the jumping sword attack is performed by gesturing the sword downward then pressing A (while targeting I think)? I'm guessing that the magic-consuming charged spin attack will require a special (and hopefully cool) remote gesture that is quickly followed by holding A.

I'm loving the prospects of the Wii control in this game. The game is now finished, but we still don't know much about the new control scheme. I will go against the current GAF sentiment and will say that I am very positive about it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Caaz said:
Blurry, yes... i found this one, a bit better:

Midnajpg2.jpg

What exactly are you asking? That is the reflection off of the mirror shield in OOT.

mirrorshieldrefpicls0.jpg

mirrorshieldmh6.jpg

I don't really see much of a resemblance...

Edit: Beaten....

dreamkats

So, finally, my zelda impressions... (sorry for my poor english)

where can I start?

yeah, first, I gotta say that the sensor bar is a weird thing, really... It worked perfectly on wario ware, but when I tried Zelda for the first time yesterday, it was like perfect shit to me...
There was a problem that made me aim under the screen to fire an arrow, instead of pointing at the screen for example... sometimes, it even started to rotate the camera to the right without stopping during 2 minutes...

anyway, the game looks terrific, as you may already know, at least, that's what I thought (never played wii before)... but, right after testing that demo, I played mario galaxy, and I realised that Zelda was an wonderful-looking NGC game (far beyond Resident Evil 4 IMO), but still an NGC game.

Now the controls. That was the most shocking thing to me. Right before taking the "pad" in my hands, I thought about TSA's feedback on that demo that he played last month, and I was like "Ok, this one is a toughy, you won't be able to handle it". And it wasn't, it was super-duper smooth in terms of control, and very natural. Nintendo did a great job, and I no longer think that GC version is the superior version. The sensor bar problem I mentioned before wasn't occuring the second time I played the demo (on a different console), and that made things easy to do. The bow and the boomerang were really nice to use.
Oh, btw, I checked, and there's no way to control the shield manually... Or the camera. For the shield, it's quite disappointing, but I do not miss the camera control (although TWW's one was perfect). Fighting seemed totally normal, I just hope that the sword will finally do what we do with the wiimote.

Last thing: I've never seen anyone mentioning this... so... it's impossible to swim freely under water, the system is the same as in OOT. I hope this will be fixed, Aonuma stated multiple times that we would be able to go underwater.

Well, I'll be back there tuesday morning (GMT +1), and this time, I hope there will be a Nintendo RP with me (my two friends had one today, and didn't have to queue like I did to play the game). I'll try to ask NoE's Mathieu Minel some questions about Wii launch, and confirm the 15th of december release date for NGC version

If you have any question now, just ask me :)

Tritroid

That's disappointing that they're using OoT's camera instead of WW's. WW had probably the best camera system in a game to date imo. I guess with the way the Wii control works however they have little choice.

As far as shield control goes, we were told earlier on that the control would only allow for shield-bashing, and not full control of the shield itself, so nothing really shocking there.

So how about firing an arrow? Some people have said this is overly difficult. What'd you think?

Well, nothing surprising with the GC level graphics. I didnt expect TP to do what SMG, a game built on the Wii from the bottom up, is doing.

And yeah, what Tri said, it was a pain to aim with the bow in Zeldas like OOT & MM. TWW was much more fluent. Is it really difficult aiming with the bow and shooting, etc.?

Given how TP is designed, Im not sure if you would be able to have that type freedom of control, especially in the dungeons. OOT wouldnt work too well with a TWW type of camera, etiher. In your opinion, do you think the camera is going to be a problem while playing the game? Or do they have it set where it doesnt matter like OOT?

dreamkats

Tritroid said:
That's disappointing that they're using OoT's camera instead of WW's. WW had probably the best camera system in a game to date imo. I guess with the way the Wii control works however they have little choice.

As far as shield control goes, we were told earlier on that the control would only allow for shield-bashing, and not full control of the shield itself, so nothing really shocking there.

So how about firing an arrow? Some people have said this is overly difficult. What'd you think?

On the first demo, firing an arrow was like a big pain in the ass... Like I said I had to aim outside the screen, but when I played on the other game, it was really easy to aim, you can even, without any practice, make Link aim slowly from left to right while shooting the 4 moblins firing at you.

I just hope that we'll be able to regulate the sensor bar sensitivity in order to vary... Because some people seemed to face big problems when using the bows

I'm pretty sure that swimming thing you noted is false. Maybe you couldn't swim underwater in the demo, but we've seen trailers of Link swimming underwater.

dreamkats

BrandNew said:
I'm pretty sure that swimming thing you noted is false. Maybe you couldn't swim underwater in the demo, but we've seen trailers of Link swimming underwater.

Show me a trailer showing that then, I'd be delighted and, of course, relieved!
Because I'm sure that the only way to explore the underwater area was using the iron boots, on that demos

Branduil

dreamkats said:
Because I'm sure that the only way to explore the underwater area was using the iron boots, on that demos

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UV3lH9qWmks

Right at the beginning.

Nice impressions, by the way. Sounds like the first demo was calibrated wrong.

I no longer think that GC version is the superior version.

Amir0x am cry. :lol

I'm pretty sure the GC version doesn't have direct shield control either.

unifin

Aft Dread Pressure said:
Seems to me that he is merely diving OoT-style.

There was some older footage where Link is seen actually swimming, but I can't find it...

I thought they had taken diving out of the demo, anyway.

Found it: I'm youtubing it... hold on.

Eh, it's not the corrent video... you can see a tiny bit at the beginning, but it's not great.

Smiles and Cries said:
why would the camera be the OOT version when TP is running on a modified WW engine?

I'll wait til next week before saying Dooomed

I dont think it matters what type of camera TP ends up having. Somebody is going to complain.

dreamkats said:

Can you answer my question about the camera or you dont know?

You could control the camera at E3, I'm sure I saw videos with arrows on both side of the screen while it was being moved.

I hope you get control over it, although it wasn't a huge problem when I played Ocarina originally, when I go back it's quite pissy.

gamergirly said:
I dont think it matters what type of camera TP ends up having. Somebody is going to complain.

QFT

Also, I don't recall seeing it in any footage but, at least in the E3 '04 demo, Link had this roll and thrust move from The Minish Cap. I don't remember how I pulled this out though.

Top Bottom