• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.ca: THESE are real Wii U boxes

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Here is my shitty 2-minute edit for a white border instead of yellow

it sucks

edit: i suck too

color range select, my friend.

ibv4K7GHQWxMDC.jpg
i9piTOeR5CmKm.jpg

JazzmanZ

Whatever man, Wii has an image problem to shake. They're already gonna be seen as the "lower price lesser quality" product by the "bro" audience, using the same old floppy Wii cases in a world that's moved to thicker, more premium media cases in the Blu-ray format isn't gonna help. At least the game looks like it'll be 59.99 instead of 49.99.

I'm not as passionate about this all as you seem to think I am, just pointing out what I guarantee will not be an observation that only I make.

right the average family casual game buyer is going to think "ho hum these Wii U game boxes are too DVD-ish for me! I'll just grab these sleek smaller PS3 blu-ray looking boxes instead!"

Hiltz

Swapping out the piss yellow borderline for white makes it look great.Of course, given how the box art is the same as the GameCube's, I don't think it is the real deal.

Whatever man, Wii has an image problem to shake. They're already gonna be seen as the "lower price lesser quality" product by the "bro" audience, using the same old floppy Wii cases in a world that's moved to thicker, more premium media cases in the Blu-ray format isn't gonna help. At least the game looks like it'll be 59.99 instead of 49.99.

I'm not as passionate about this all as you seem to think I am, just pointing out what I guarantee will not be an observation that only I make.

I agree with you. DVD size is outdated, and not needed at all.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
right the average family casual game buyer is going to think "ho hum these Wii U game boxes are too DVD-ish for me! I'll just grab these sleek smaller PS3 blu-ray looking boxes instead!"

You would sort of be making sense if I said anything about the average family casual game buyer.

Seda

I'll wait to comment further until I see an actual photograph of a Wii U game box. The cover render may not do it justice.

Maybe

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
so you're telling me all Dudebro players these days only buy PS3 games because the boxes are Blu-ray sized?

Are you even reading what I type? I am saying that the perception of quality between an old (DVD-sized) product and the new (Blu-ray) sized product will introduce the likelihood of the Wii U being perceived by audiences conscious of technological advance (the "techie" crowd, the "bro" crowd, the "aficionado who is not a hardcore gamer") as an inferior product to the others.

There's no reason not to use the newer cases, and they gain nothing by using the old ones.

Kazerei

Banned
Thanks Kazerei :)

Looks so much better with the white, damn

No problem, I totally stole your idea though :x

color range select, my friend.

I used the magic wand in two steps.

1. Target by red value - grabbed the yellow and grey, but the blue/yellow border was nicely defined
2. Target by saturation - grabbed the yellow and blue, but the grey/yellow border was nicely defined

The intersection of these two selections yielded the yellow area pretty nicely.

NFreak

Are you even reading what I type? I am saying that the perception of quality between an old (DVD-sized) product and the new (Blu-ray) sized product will introduce the likelihood of the Wii U being perceived by audiences conscious of technological advance (the "techie" crowd, the "bro" crowd, the "aficionado who is not a hardcore gamer") as an inferior product to the others.

There's no reason not to use the newer cases, and they gain nothing by using the old ones.

Why doesn't that happen now? Also, what if the 720/Durango boxes are DVD sized? Will people think that is an inferior product compared to the PS4 version of the games?

ampere

Looks alright, distinctly different logo from the Wii will be good to reduce confused and uniformed shoppers.

That would make sense if Xbox 360 software didn't outsell PS3 software. Believe me dude, no one cares about the shape of the case.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I wanna see a GAF thread where everyone agrees on something.

It looks like a winking, smiling face. The yellow line is the mouth, the 'W' and 'U' the eyes, and the i's are of course the nose.

At least every box will be happy.

71-JwY3tigL._AA1200_.jpg

PC games not only are likely to continue using DVD cases for some time, they're also likely to continue using DVDs.

Nobody gives a shit.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
That would make sense if Xbox 360 software didn't outsell PS3 software. Believe me dude, no one cares about the shape of the case.

Xbox is a current-gen console. Wii U is positioning itself as a next-gen console. They're already taking shit for it looking like it's gonna be a port machine, not presenting themselves as next-gen is not gonna do them any favors. At least the damned things are blue I guess.

I actually disagree with most people here. They're missing the point of the yellow (I believe its there exactly for the reason of catching the eye). It reminds me of some successful product in business in the past, but I can't put my finger on it...

It looked awkward, but I'm quickly warming up to it. I don't mind it too much.

GameCube is the superior design, though. I'm not a fan of the Wii U logo and name.

Top Bottom