• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Holland Confirms That Peter Parker Appeared in Iron Man 2

mas8705

Oh please let there be a reference to this in the movie. If there is, then I'm sure alot more people will find enjoyment in Iron Man 2 than they might or may not have had previously.

Ravelle

It's a fun fan theory but how is Tom Holland confirming this making this a fact? This is more likely the kid that built his own iron man stuff in that shed. This kid wants be to be an Iron-Man, not a spider-guy.

This is lame. 'Whatever you want fans', said some Marvel guy.

I don't see how this hurts anything.

A kid who fancies themselves a super hero growing up in queens who was alive during the events of Iron Man 2 being shown to have idolized and met Tony. What's wrong with any of that?

tolkir

I don't see how this hurts anything.

A kid who fancies themselves a super hero growing up in queens who was alive during the events of Iron Man 2 being shown to have idolized and met Tony. What's wrong with any of that?

Nothing, but it wasn't planned until 5 min ago. If they want to make up now, good for me.

zeemumu

Of course there bloody wasn't.

I don't think anyone seriously believes this was some crazy calculated intentional foreshadowing on the film-makers part. It's just a cute fan retcon Feige and Holland might want to make canon, like Rex from Clone Wars/Rebels being in Return of the Jedi.

rex-600x300.jpg

Fricken amazing

I need this to be referenced in Homecoming just so that we can get a NeoGaf thread devoted to going through previous MCU films looking for background characters that could be "turned" into major characters.

vordhosbn

Banned
It's a fun fan theory but how is Tom Holland confirming this making this a fact? This is more likely the kid that built his own iron man stuff in that shed. This kid wants be to be an Iron-Man, not a spider-guy.

It's bullshit. I think he's just excited and maybe a compulsive liar.

Back then there was 0% of Spider-Man ever appearing in MCU, they're trying to take credit because it can't be disproved.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Still retroactively trying to make Iron Man 2 less terrible.

Nah, Iron Man 2 wasn't terrible.

It was a flawed and overly busy film but "terrible" is a description that belongs to X3 or Fantastic Four or Suicide Squad.

It is possible for movies to fall somewhere in between "terrible" and "amazing."

It's bullshit. I think he's just excited and maybe a compulsive liar.

Back then there was 0% of Spider-Man ever appearing in MCU, they're trying to take credit because it can't be disproved.

Well yeah, I don't think Holland is trying to suggest it was planned from the get go or anything.

He’s obviously joking. You think he was ACTUALLY on the phone just prior talking about whether the kid in a movie from 2010 is Peter Parker? Like that just came up in conversation?

The glove is an Iron Man costume glove. Watch the scene. The kid has zero to do with Spider Man

Well, it's six years before he got bitten by a spider, so yeah, it would be pretty odd if he was pretending to have spider powers instead of iron man powers at that point.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just to add some more fun to this, there was a woman yelling Peter in the chaos a few scenes before that.

holy shit

i loaded up my copy real quick and checked - yes, you can clearly hear a woman scream "Peter!" at 1:38:30, about a minute before Peter is shown on screen

#itsallconnected you guys

He's obviously joking. You think he was ACTUALLY on the phone just prior talking about whether the kid in a movie from 2010 is Peter Parker? Like that just came up in conversation?

it does seem that tom holland really loves being spider-man

TDLink

The hole goes even deeper:

https://youtu.be/6SWk2b8JKqg?t=2m46s

You can hear a woman yelling "Peter!" right after this time stamp. The scene with the kid is less than a minute later.

EDIT: I see I'm late on pointing this out, but the clip is here at least...this is some nth dimensional planning.

Neat twist to add to that scene, I like it!

Although it mostly means means next time I watch it, rather than saying 'I kinda wish the hammerbot shot that annoying child.' I'll instead be more 'well, at least Peter ended up being Spiderman and thus using that annoyingness for good.'.

Sojgat

Nah, Iron Man 2 wasn't terrible.

It was a flawed and overly busy film but "terrible" is a description that belongs to X3 or Fantastic Four or Suicide Squad.

It is possible for movies to fall somewhere in between "terrible" and "amazing."

I agree that too often the internet lumps things into one of those two categories, but Tony's central dilemma could have been solved with an extension cord.

It's definitely terrible.

It's super cheesey, annoying and done for a cheap emotional pull on the heart strings by having a kid act like a complete plank that makes no sense in context.

Meanwhile, though completely out of step with the rest of the movies tone and narrative momentum, the robot just casually wasting him and then no further reference to the character being made by anyone is a darkly humorous, absurdist hypothetical that would have subverted expectations had it happened, even if it would have objectively ruined the film.

It's a choice between the shit reality of the bad scene we got, and mild amusement at the thought of a horrible but entertainingly ridiculous alternative.

There, now hopefully next time you're exposed to dark senses of humour, you'll be less confused by them!

Top Bottom