• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Situations where you felt incredibly uncomfortable for others

brawly

It's 9PM and my mum decides to show up. My dad's ladyfriend is about to show up to bring something. Afaik they've never met and it's gonna be uncomfortable af...for them. Not me.

A few weeks ago someone at work fucked up because she reached into a machine (harmless) to take out a urin sample which she shouldn't have done because it shuts down the whole machine and you need to restart it etc. and my co-worked was all like "hey, what the hell are you doing? You can't do that". I would've died in her shoes (not that I'd make that stupid of a mistake, since it's pretty much an unspoken rule at work here).

One time while on a trip to DC a professor of mine lost her balance on the Metro and face-planted right into some guy's crotch in front of the entire class.

She turned bright red and started tearing up. I never felt so bad for someone in my life.

SpaceWolf

Banned
5Hz0Z2M.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I remember breaking down crying when my brother lost the county-wide spelling bee on stage with the first word.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Most GAF threads about having to interact with other people and the real world.

maxcriden

As a child my sister and I were occasionally allowed to walk to Burger King for a less healthy dinner. My sister was 14 or so so I was 11 or 12. The manager was trying to show off for us and impress us so he took the chocolate milkshakes we'd ordered and attempted to spin them with his hands. They went everywhere and it was a very cringey moment.

Last night at work the police showed up because the facility alarm notified them of a possible break-in. They immediately approached my black coworker to question, and when learning she worked there their response was along the lines of - 'oh so housekeeping?'. My coworker has been with the IT department for 18 years. We just kinda had to laugh off the blatant racism afterwards because really what else can you do? But during it it was extremely uncomfortable to see.

5taquitos

Most GAF threads about having to interact with other people and the real world.
"GAF, did I overreact?"

*Proceeds to explain how he called a girl a bitch 20 times because she stopped paying attention to him*

"GAF, how come I didn't get invited to this party?"

*Reveals that he doesn't even live in the same city and hasn't spoken to anyone in 6 months*

Last night at work the police showed up because the facility alarm notified them of a possible break-in. They immediately approached my black coworker to question, and when learning she worked there their response was along the lines of - 'oh so housekeeping?'. My coworker has been with the IT department for 18 years. We just kinda had to laugh off the blatant racism afterwards because really what else can you do? But during it it was extremely uncomfortable to see.
Racist and sexist. Dat twofer.

Viewt

I was at a friend's house, and his mom was close by in the kitchen. Then she sneezed so hard she farted, loud and messy-like. It sounded like something came out, honestly. Immediately afterwards, I just kept my head straight, not saying a word. I pretended I didn't heard a woman in her 50s probably-shit her pants eight feet away from me. It took every fiber of my being to not have a reaction, but I pulled it off. I didn't even mention it to my friend later. I buried it in the deepest crevices of my very soul.

DonShula

As a pedestrian I recently watched a car accident unfold. Two cars were waiting to exit a parking lot on to a one-way street. The first car inched out and started to turn, but moved half a car length and then stopped due to a parked car merging into traffic at the same time. The woman in the second car saw the first car start to turn, assumed it was going to keep turning, craned her neck left to watch for oncoming traffic, saw no cars coming, and floored it into the back of the first car before she realized it hadn't actually turned. The whole thing took about two seconds but felt like 30 minutes - it was enough time for me to see what was happening but there was nothing I could do to stop it. The look on her face when she hit the other car went from "driving and chilling" to "YE GODS MY SOUL HAS BEEN BROKEN WHERE DID THAT CAR COME FROM I AM SLAIN."

She got out of the car and looked at me as I was walking past. I gave her the biggest cringe emoji type face I could manage and kept walking.

When the shy/socially awkward coworker is acting even more shy/more socially awkward than me in the open space.

Came here to post basically the same thing, except I was going to say every time my coworker opens her mouth. We had a meeting with some really important people last week and my coworkers and I were cringing every time she spoke. She even interrupted one of the dudes to tell him something completely incorrect :/

Reckheim

Playing the naked raiden scene in MGS 2 when I was like 12. My aunt walks into my room, we make eye contact, she looks at the screen and about 5 seconds she leaves my room with out saying anything.

DonShula

Came here to post basically the same thing, except I was going to say every time my coworker opens her mouth. We had a meeting with some really important people last week and my coworkers and I were cringing every time she spoke. She even interrupted one of the dudes to tell him something completely incorrect :/

I work with a guy who is notorious for "so I was thinking the other day and [an idea someone else told me yesterday]." People have caught on, and now "so I was thinking the other day" is a signal that someone else's idea is about to be presented without attribution.

TissueBox

LMAO smooth.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I was at a friend's house, and his mom was close by in the kitchen. Then she sneezed so hard she farted, loud and messy-like. It sounded like something came out, honestly. Immediately afterwards, I just kept my head straight, not saying a word. I pretended I didn't heard a woman in her 50s probably-shit her pants eight feet away from me. It took every fiber of my being to not have a reaction, but I pulled it off. I didn't even mention it to my friend later. I buried it in the deepest crevices of my very soul.
Oh shit, that reminds me of a time when a few of my cousins and I were sitting on the floor playing some Mario Golf on my Gamecube at my grandma's beach house and a few of us noticed that it really started to smell like ass, but we mostly ignored it. However, a little while later, my cousin, whom of which was sitting right beside me, dropped a fresh turd right out of his pants onto the floor. Immediately afterwards, all of us jumped up in surprised, initially confused as to what that foreign object was, but we soon put 2 and 2 together and realised that our cousin just took a shit on the floor. I felt kinda sorry for him because the scolding he received from his dad was FIERCE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One time while on a trip to DC a professor of mine lost her balance on the Metro and face-planted right into some guy's crotch in front of the entire class.

She turned bright red and started tearing up. I never felt so bad for someone in my life.

Do you live inside an anime

Reckheim

Oh shit, that reminds me of a time when a few of my cousins and I were sitting on the floor playing some Mario Golf on my Gamecube at my grandma's beach house and a few of us noticed that it really started to smell like ass, but we mostly ignored it. However, a little while later, my cousin, whom of which was sitting right beside me, dropped a fresh turd right out of his pants onto the floor. Immediately afterwards, all of us jumped up in surprised, initially confused as to what that foreign object was, but we soon put 2 and 2 together and realised that our cousin just took a shit on the floor. I felt kinda sorry for him because the scolding he received from his dad was FIERCE.

Diarrhea or a solid turd?

With diarrhea i can kind of understand it; but how do you not know you just pushed out a log?

NESpowerhouse

Diarrhea or a solid turd?

With diarrhea i can kind of understand it; but how do you not know you just pushed out a log?
Solid turd. He was probably trying to keep his reaction concealed and was trying to be as discrete as possible.

I don't get it hahaha. He just shat on the floor with a poker face? Why not go to the bathroom?

CommanderBuck

Neo Member
One time I was sitting on my porch. This guy is speeding down my street in a Miata. He tries to merge over onto a side street and ends up on the sidewalk. So he gets out of the car and looks around just to see me looking at him. The funniest thing about it is that he landed on the sidewalk so that both sets of tires were hanging off the curb.

GodofWine

As a parent (and a former quiet kid - Im pretty much a normal adult now though), when I see kids treating another kid poorly, man I just empathize so bad...if it was physical or even really cruel I'd chase the little shits away, but kids are great at just walking that fine line of being terrible little shits to a few poor classmates, but not crossing the 'parents need to step it' line. (though Im CERTAIN teachers just turn a blind eye to some stuff they could help squash..most teachers, one I know of told a boy who was getting picked on that if he punches the other kid, he won't be in trouble, she did this right near the bully, and the bully stopped being a little shit)

I hated kids when I was a kid...and I still hate everyone elses kids now lol

I was in a live meeting with a dozen other people at work , it was in the Q&A phase. Someone asked a question and the Presenter opens their IM and starts typing. trash about the person.

They just didn't realize they were still sharing their desktop from earlier. There was a few gasps before they got called out , then a ton of silence.

I kind of felt bad for both of them (mainly since the trash talk was deserved) .

There was this one guy that fell off his bycicle in the middle of the city during prime time. His head landed so hard on the concrete that you could hear the impact of the bones.

Everybody turned around and some even laughed.

The guy stood up and kept riding his bycicle. We were walking by that spot where he fell and there were broken teeth on the ground.

This guy was so ashamed that he endured the pain so he could get away as soon as possible.

I was in a live meeting with a dozen other people at work , it was in the Q&A phase. Someone asked a question and the Presenter opens their IM and starts typing. trash about the person.

They just didn't realize they were still sharing their desktop from earlier. There was a few gasps before they got called out , then a ton of silence.

I kind of felt bad for both of them (mainly since the trash talk was deserved) .

Wow, my heart would have shrunk into a black hole right there

Peltz

Girl swam next to me at the beach and saw me looking at her but didn't know why. (it was because she had a long booger hanging from her nose).

She said "hi there" and floated closer to me.

I said, "hi... you have... um... some snot hanging out of your nose." Then I swam away.

lmaoo this reminds me.. we were doing a live presentation to branches in like 12 cities. There was a basic chat on the live stream. My coworker was talking to another coworker via hangouts, except she accidentally said "shut the fuck up lol" on the wrong chat. Problem was the owner of the company literally asked a question on the live chat ONE SECOND EARLIER. I was laughing while trying to hold my breath, while most people in the room either a) were oblivious b) did a better job not laughing than I did.

It was amazing.

mj-laughing.gif

jstripes

Banned
There was this one guy that fell off his bycicle in the middle of the city during prime time. His head landed so hard on the concrete that you could hear the impact of the bones.

Everybody turned around and some even laughed.

The guy stood up and kept riding his bycicle. We were walking by that spot where he fell and there were broken teeth on the ground.

This guy was so ashamed that he endured the pain so he could get away as soon as possible.

No one asked him if he was OK? Nice city you've got there.

Maniel

Banned
Playing the naked raiden scene in MGS 2 when I was like 12. My aunt walks into my room, we make eye contact, she looks at the screen and about 5 seconds she leaves my room with out saying anything.

That wasn't uncomfortable for you? lol

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My wife was hosting a party for some co-workers at our apartment. Things were winding down a bit, be we were all laughing and drinking. In our living room area, we had a couch and love seat around the perimeter and set up a long table in the middle of the room. I sat down on the couch directly behind one of the girls from work that was sitting at the table, told a joke, and she proceeded to let out a massive fart while laughing... right on to me.

She said, I am so sorry!... I said, that's OK, I'll just go sit over here (and changed couch seating to a far away side). Pretty awkward.

Catdaddy

We had a three day training class and the instructor’s supervisor and supervisor’s supervisor was in attendance – all were from our corporate HQ and out of town. They explained their presence as “observation to ensure the content of the training was acceptable”.

It became apparent she was being observed, and partway through Day 2 the supervisor’s supervisor stated he hadn’t taught this class in a while and asked to teach the next session. Well, you could read the instructors face this wasn’t good. The next day the instructor was “sick” and couldn’t make it in so the supervisors tag teamed the rest of the course. Checked a few weeks later and she was reassigned to another position.

Truth is she wasn’t a great instructor, but my company has a way of forcing people into jobs that may not have the correct skill set, which I believe the case to be. But during that class, felt real bad for her.

I was in a boring discrete math class where most people are falling asleep or not paying attention. No one really talks except for me when it seems the prof needs feedback. Professor was explaining the lecture as usual when someone in the back sneezed really loudly that it physically startled and interrupted his lecture. No one in class said bless you to the student because everyone was still zoned out or sleeping and the professor kept on lecturing. I don't know why but I thought the whole incident was hilarious and struggled keeping a straight face in the last five to ten mins of lecture while being in the front row.

TissueBox

I was in a boring discrete math class where most people are falling asleep or not paying attention. No one really talks except for me when it seems the prof needs feedback. Professor was explaining the lecture as usual when someone in the back sneezed really loudly that it physically startled and interrupted his lecture. No one in class said bless you to the student because everyone was still zoned out or sleeping and the professor kept on lecturing. I don't know why but I thought the whole incident was hilarious and struggled keeping a straight face in the last five to ten mins of lecture while being in the front row.

Lol I feel for the professor but this is hilarious to me; woulda been there to see it.

When I was in college there were these girls hanging out in front of one of the buildings. Suddenly a bunch of people started coming out, and one of the girls yelled something along the lines of "you look so pretty today!". Then the first girl who was coming out looked so happy as she said "thanks!" to which the other girl replied "no, not you. behind you" as she pointed to her friend who was also coming out.

I remember that girls smile faded so fast, and I felt so bad for her.

1upsuper

When I was in ~third grade we had individual desks that faced each other, and the person who faced you was your partner for various activities. One day the girl in front of me took a big swig from her water bottle, held it for a second, and then spat it out in a mist all over her desk, mine, and my face. I was pissed, and she was embarrassed.

Luminaire

Power went out at work today, so myself and a few others (eight total) moved to a 'command center' which is just a room on a dedicated generator for computers. No lights, no auxiliary power, nada. It was dark save for the glow of monitors. In a room full of 40 computers, a guy sat next to one of the few girls in the room. He could've sat anywhere as there were empty rows all over.

For the next 45-60 minutes, all he did was click his mouse really hard, smash keys repeatedly, complain and grunt, swear repeatedly and say things like "how am I supposed to work like this", "this is stupid", "this is absurd", "the audacity of these people", meanwhile saying "fucking idiots make this work.", "why am I working in these conditions", and various audible groans of frustration. The level of complaining from him was unbearable, and I felt very bad and uncomfortable for the girl next to him. I was half expecting her to get up and leave but she toughed it out. It...was pretty cringey. I'm uncertain if he was trying to impress her.

Media

My most awkward moment:

I was 30, sitting on my front porch around midnight having a smoke and browsing on my phone. This cop pulls up and shines his light on me, then gets out of the car.

I'm Native American so I was instantly terrified.

Me: Hello, can I help you?
Cop: I'm looking for someone with a warrant that was seen in this area matching your description. Do you live here?
Me: Yeah, I just came out for a smoke and got caught up in reading.
Cop: What's your name.
Me: Media
Cop: and how old are you?
Me: (for some fucking reason) 22.
Me: (why the fuck did I say 22 I'm fucking 30 I just lied to a cop omg omg)
Cop: Alright well go on inside cause she's dangerous. If you see anything suspicious give us a call.
Me: Yes sir, thank you sir! (Super cheerful and high pitched)

I am so fucking lucky he didn't ask for my I'D. Why the fuck did I say I was 22? The fuck is wrong with me?

Kieli

My most awkward moment:

I was 30, sitting on my front porch around midnight having a smoke and browsing on my phone. This cop pulls up and shines his light on me, then gets out of the car.

I'm Native American so I was instantly terrified.

Me: Hello, can I help you?
Cop: I'm looking for someone with a warrant that was seen in this area matching your description. Do you live here?
Me: Yeah, I just came out for a smoke and got caught up in reading.
Cop: What's your name.
Me: Media
Cop: and how old are you?
Me: (for some fucking reason) 22.
Me: (why the fuck did I say 22 I'm fucking 30 I just lied to a cop omg omg)
Cop: Alright well go on inside cause she's dangerous. If you see anything suspicious give us a call.
Me: Yes sir, thank you sir! (Super cheerful and high pitched)

I am so fucking lucky he didn't ask for my I'D. Why the fuck did I say I was 22? The fuck is wrong with me?

Bruh, lmao.

catmincer

On a bus and a lady in a wheelchair got on. Next stop this woman gets on and asks her loudly "What's wrong with you?" And then kept asking more inappropriate questions. The was super uncomfortable to witness and I felt so bad for the lady being asked them. Thankfully the questioning woman finally room the hint and shut up.

Top Bottom