• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 GAF: How often do you use Spotify?

I use it on my phone all the time daily. I have never used it on my PS4 because I actually like listening to the game I am playing. I could see it for something like a racing game or whatnot, but if I was playing a online shooter or something I would die constantly if I couldn't hear what was going on.

Fedele

All the time for multiplayer or when reading books in my living room. I wish I could use Netflix and YouTube as much but the lack of HDR forces me to use the (terrible) Samsung TV version instead.

One of the reasons why I'll eventually buy a PS4 this year.

Used it heavily on PS3 but it's a bummer you can't use it whilst in game :(

Use it daily whilst driving, in the gym and gaming on my pc.

Best 10£ I spend per month.

psyfi

Banned
So I posted earlier in this thread saying that I don't see why I'd ever use this, but then I realized it'd be perfect for listening to music while playing Destiny, which I just recently got back into after a two year break. And yup, I love it now. Why the hell didn't I try it before, damn.

holy fuck, I just realized that the article that I posted in the OP was written literally the year before, the same exact date...

...coincidence? I think not.

Almost never. I'd imagine if I played more racing games I would use it however. But listening to music while playing shooters/adventure/rpgs usually distracts me.

Teletraan1

Banned
One time, didn't really care for it. I already have all my music in very high quality which is not compatible with the PS4 the last time I checked. Listening to streaming music sounds like ass tbh.

Ferny

I use it all the time. Most of the time just running on my PS4, but sometimes in games of Rocket League or whatever else Im playing that isnt a story based game.

Endo Punk

Due to the proper Spotify integration I actually use Spotify regularly now, even outside of gaming with the app especially now that they have podcasts. Have yet to pay, free ftw.

Roxkis_ii

I used it pretty often back when I had Spotify, usually while playing Driveclub or Destiny. Stopped after I switched to Google Music.

Wish Sony would get that on PS4 too.

My friend just added me to his spotify family plan.
Google music>>>>>>>Spotify in everything but social features.

I also wish there was a google music app for Ps4.

I"m playing nier automata right now, so I don't really need outside music when the game has the best soundtrack of any game I've play.

@Wreck

i still buy cds or wav or flac files

so no i don't use it

its not a bandwidth issue i have unlimited internet

its my issue lol

Never. I would but with my Smart Proxy it wont let me use it. Gives me a region error. So I use the USB music player. Which I use all the time.

Never. I only used background music on the 360 to put tonally opposite music into overly serious games to take the piss out of them, and in Goat Simulator to make my goat's ass shake to TURN DOWN FOR WHAT.

Never, it's garbage. Tried and it was so bad I gave up and went with Plex.
I don't understand why it's garbage or so bad. You know about the quick menu right? You can hold the PlayStation button and a sidebar will pop up, where you choose a playlist, specific song, skip track forwards or backwards with R1 and L1, adjust music volume, set shuffle, etc., all without even having to pause the game.

I honestly can't even think how they could make the system any better. The only effort involved is setting up Spotify playlists, but you can do that from any device with Spotify. Or just pick one of the featured PlayStation playlists that appear in the quick menu.

otakuderek

I'll use it whenever I'm working around the house and want to listen to something without headphones. While in-game, I don't because I find it distracting.

pantsmith

I actually subscribed to Spotify because of the streaming on PS4.

Its one of those things that varies game by game, but I love being able to pop on a playlist while I'm running strikes in Destiny, or playing something multiplayer. I know I could do the same with a usb drive plugged in, but having all of Spotify handy is real great.

Carn82

I've had a subscription for many years now, I use it daily when commuting, at work and at home. PS4 specific I use it during multiplayer games.

Depends on the game, but occasionally.

I like it in the background while playing something like Pure Pool or Wipeout (soon) but not when playing games with narratives (likely) or when playing with friends (less likely). I use the free version since I already have a Google Play Music sub.

hao chi

I haven't used it yet. I was going to try it one time while playing Rocket League, but didn't realize you had to close your game app the first time you use it. I haven't bothered since. I generally prefer to just listen to the game's audio.

All the time. Playing NBA? Spotify. Playing Overwatch? Spotify.
Fight me.
We always win.

Usually with games that I can just play and zone out.

Spotify is legitimately the best thing I've EVER paid for.

Goronmon

Neo Member
EXCEPT WHEN PLAYING HORIZON CAUSE IT DOESNT ALLOW IT!!!!!!!
I still can't understand why game developers get to decide if I use the music player.

I think the update yesterday added background music support, didn't it? Might want to check that out.

I don't understand why it's garbage or so bad. You know about the quick menu right? You can hold the PlayStation button and a sidebar will pop up, where you choose a playlist, specific song, skip track forwards or backwards with R1 and L1, adjust music volume, set shuffle, etc., all without even having to pause the game.

I honestly can't even think how they could make the system any better. The only effort involved is setting up Spotify playlists, but you can do that from any device with Spotify. Or just pick one of the featured PlayStation playlists that appear in the quick menu.

I know all that, but nothing fixed the constant stuttering and bad audio quality that I had.

Coda

I usually just have local music on a USB drive playing on my PS4. But recently I've wanted to discover more music so I signed up for Spotify Premium so I could make a dope playlist and I like it's integration on PS4, it works as well as it should.

i was playin One More Time by daft punk last nigh playing Uc4...great song. spotify is an awesome thing for jus giving me the opportunity to do something like that

manfestival

I like spotify more as time passes. Not sure if I will throw down for a sub since I usually do YouTube or mp3 for singular tracks

Top Bottom