• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
excited_baseball_fan376m.gif

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

Long sentence says the same thing at least twice.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Reallink said:
This seems...nonsensical. What exactly do they have to gain by releasing an ~PS360 equivalent in late 2012 with no gimmick. They're going to be in the same position right out of the gate, a console totally ignored by the "core" crowd and "core game" developers.

I really wonder if its people not being able to read and comprehend or choosing not to.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
UPDATE

Kotaku reports more powerful than X360/PS3

http://kotaku.com/#!5792165

Furthermore, we've heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.

Reallink said:
This seems...nonsensical. What exactly do they have to gain by releasing an ~PS360 equivalent in late 2012 with no gimmick. They're going to be in the same position right out of the gate, a console totally ignored by the "core" crowd and "core game" developers.
The Wii has made Nintendo a ton of money and it also has a momentum problem right now. Sony and Microsoft are trying to stretch out the current generation in order to break even on their gaming efforts to date. Nintendo's got the most to gain by jump-starting the next generation, if they can successfully do so.

Barrett2

My guess is it will have both a standard controller, but also motion something-or-other. Who knows. But it's Nintendo, so there has to be a gimmick.

Zenith said:
What about the poor people at The Conduit? How will their games stand out now if everyone else can get good graphics on a Nintendo platform.
You say that as if The Conduit actually had good graphics that stand out compared to other Wii games.

By the end of 2012, it will have been six years since the Wii was released. That's a hell of a long life span for a console that was outdated from its inception. This E3 should be interesting.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, I'm in two minds about the possibility of cutting edge power. While it would be awesome to have, and excellent if developed for responsibly, does anyone think that the current budget problems on the HD twins are going to get fixed with more powerful hardware, for the Wii2 or the PS4/720? Will we still get games like Little King's Story and No More Heroes on a platform thats expensive to develop for?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Wario64 said:
UPDATE

This is what I wanted to hear,
*starts saving money

Luckyman

Banned
I believe Nintendo is in for a long decline. This just seems another blunder, a system that will look obsolete in one to two years after launch.

Dennis

Banned
Wario64 said:
UPDATE

THANK GOD

Now do the unexpected Nintendo and make it a monster machine

MisterHero

Finally I may have a chance at owning a version of Dead Rising that's unreadable on sub-HD displays

also, I hope it's still GC/Wii backwards compatible

antonz

Funny thing is Im more excited to see what they are doing controller wise than anything now lol. Im kinda expecting a more traditional controller that has all the features of the wiimote built in so they can appease 3rd parties need of buttons and have motion around.

You know what would be truly hilarious. If the next consoles of the 2 other companies were announced as well. Not gonna happen (at least not for Sony because of the NGP) but it would be funnnnnnay.

If they want HD, it has to be more powerful than the 360/PS3, otherwise, it would just be sub-HD. Even the current HD consoles don't match the resolution output of TV standard HD. 1280 x 720 doesn't fill out a 1366 x 768 screen.

Bizzyb

Banned
Zenith said:
What about the poor people at The Conduit? How will their games stand out now if everyone else can get good graphics on a Nintendo platform.

Umm their name is High Voltage Software (HVS) and they will stand out by making good games.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I'm in just make sure it has some connectivity to the 3Ds Nintendo!

-on a side note I just told the people at work that a new Wii might be coming out and they all wanted to know why??? they still have a Wii and it works fine.

it almost seems like Nintendo needs to grab some of the "hardcore" market back because most of these people are one and done type consumers.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
SykoTech said:
I'm certainly not expecting them to end motion controls, that's been a huge thing for them. I just want it more of an optional thing like Move, that's all. No more forced motion controls from games that don't really need them (NSMBWii, DKCR, etc.).

Exactly. Optional. That only helps your sells when the end user has choices in how they want to play their game. That's the same reason I honestly don't have any hatred for the Kinect and move crap. I have every choice in how to control my games.

Mr_Brit

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
What's stopping them from doing something similar with the PS4? They can use mass market equipment and still come up with something that's much stronger than the PS3. The main thing that they did with the PSP2 is that they went to developers and asked them what they wanted. They didn't do that with the PS3. They just designed what they wanted. I expect the PS4 to follow the same track as the PSP2 and I highly doubt that developers are going to be happy with something that isn't a huge step up from the PS3.
It will be easy to design a system in 2013 that is a huge step above the PS3 using non insane parts unlike the PS3 did. PS3 was expensive due to Blu Ray(not a problem in 2013) and redundant/extravagant peripherals like memory card readers, Wifi, expensive HDD(HDD prices have fallen like crazy since 2006) and the biggest waste which was full PS2 hardware. None of those things will be true for PS4 so Sony can easily deliver a system for $400/450 that will destroy current PCs and the PS3/360.

alr1ghtstart said:
How would making it PS3/360 comparable get more 3rd party multiplat ports? By the time this comes out, the multiplat games will be on PS4/720 and be much more powerful than Wii2.

Basically Nintendo just want to stay revelvant tech wise (with HD) while still making a profit on every console sold. If this rumour is to be believed then they are just getting greedy and hoping the consumer won't mind having old tech, as long as they can hook it up to their nice HD televisions.

It seems like they would be saying - look you can play Zelda and Mario in HD with amazing graphics like you get on xbox! Sell people on that for the first 18-24 months and then when Sony and Microsoft launch their next machines, Ninetendo will already have a large install base for their new console - making them viable and relevant to 3rd Parties.

I think they'll try and 'have their cake and eat it' by getting both the hardcore and casual crowds.

If this launches without pointer controls, I'm going to be pissed at all the hardly-core fanboys (some of which posted in this thread) that pretend dual analog is the only thing that makes "traditional controls."

Wiimote and nunchuk is fine for pretty much anything except for Street Fighter. It's the best way to play Call of Duty, which is the biggest "traditional" franchise in gaming. Add a few more buttons circling the A button, and you're good to go.

RPGCrazied

Oh wow, more powerful than the PS3? Shit is getting real. Nintendo usually prices fair, but after the 3DS price, I'm scared.

The_Technomancer said:
Also, I'm in two minds about the possibility of cutting edge power. While it would be awesome to have, and excellent if developed for responsibly, does anyone think that the current budget problems on the HD twins are going to get fixed with more powerful hardware, for the Wii2 or the PS4/720?
I doubt it will be cutting edge. The PS3/360 are so far from cutting edge at this point that the Wii 2 could easily be more powerful then them with non-cutting-edge technology (even 3-4 year old stuff).

RPGCrazied said:
Oh wow, more powerful than the PS3? Shit is getting real. Nintendo usually prices far, but after the 3DS price, I'm scared.
You are wowing a console coming out in more than a year being more powerful than a console that came out almost 6 years ago was it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cjelly said:
The problem with releasing in the next 12 months is that they will likely be trumped by MS and Sony 12 months later... therefore being left behind, again.

Hopefully they are targeting the right ballpark.

i.e. something that can keep them in the loop of PS4/720-era third party multiplats without necessarily being technically as powerful.

'More powerful' than PS3/360 is a start, but how much more is key.

edit - though 01.net's report is less encouraging.

Zenith

Banned
nincompoop said:
You say that as if The Conduit actually had good graphics that stand out compared to other Wii games.

I know, I've always thought they sucked. But they've marketed their games on the premise that they're the only ones "pushing the Wii" or approaching graphical levels similar to the other 2 consoles (never came close but it was their marketing line and people fell for it). People sure as hell won't buy their games for the gameplay. Now that all the other big companies can do good graphics without much effort beyond the usual they are fucked.

Arnie

Not owned a Nintendo console since the N64, but this could get me to purchase if it's more powerful than current gen consoles and has a stable online network. This being Nintendo though that's probably not going to happen.

Curufinwe

Mr_Brit said:
It will be easy to design a system in 2013 that is a huge step above the PS3 using non insane parts unlike the PS3 did. PS3 was expensive due to Blu Ray(not a problem in 2013) and redundant/extravagant peripherals like memory card readers, Wifi, expensive HDD(HDD prices have fallen like crazy since 2006) and the biggest waste which was full PS2 hardware. None of those things will be true for PS4 so Sony can easily deliver a system for $400/450 that will destroy current PCs and the PS3/360.

Current PCs as in PCs in April, 2011? Or current PCs as in the PCs that will be available at the time the PS4 launches? Because it's not going to do the latter.

Hopefully they have studios that can make games for a 2012 launch. Retro probably making one despite saying they're hiring for Wii, maybe the 2D Mario team is as well. The other teams are taken.

demolitio

miladesn said:
That only makes sense because if it had similar graphics to the PS3 and 360, it'd only be passed up in another year or two and then you have the same situation. I think people would be pleased with it at first until they see the new console generation and then feel a little bummed. Though I do think it won't be as bad as the difference is right now between consoles.

I think I'll be satisfied as long as they get some good games going on the system. Mario and Zelda, etc. are great as always, but once you finish those, you're left waiting for the next first-party game from Nintendo since there's not a lot of hardcore third-party games on the Wii. If they get some support, I'll be very happy.

grkazan12

backpain-1292835351.jpg

I am so ready for this year's E3, just the thought of having new Nintendo games HD is enough to excite me. My body is so ready Nintendo.

StuBurns

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
You are wowing a console coming out in more than a year being more powerful than a console that came out almost 6 years ago was it.
Sounds a lot like the 3DS which is 'wowing' all over the place.

The question is will it be way more powerful than the PS360 so it can have PS480 ports in a few years or is it just going to get PS360 ports for a year or two and be on it's own again.

lawblob said:
My guess is it will have both a standard controller, but also motion something-or-other. Who knows. But it's Nintendo, so there has to be a gimmick.

I don't understand why people are ignoring the idea of an evolved Remote. The split controller is a great idea, and all it requires is a touch more complexity and functionality to make it suitable for trad games, as well as motion ones.

I've got a theory, that Nintendo wants to have another slice at that "three piller" strategy they tried years ago, where the GBA and DS were supposed to co-exist. Nintendo probably wants to have their cake and eat it, and a HD console which is maybe a notch or three above the 360/PS3 might let them do that.

Imagine, as a launch title, 2011's COD game, running in 1080p, with graphical improvements over the 360/PS3 versions, or maybe a release of Battlefield 3 that will be closer to what's possible on a good PC. That'd pull some of the hardcore crowd in, as long as Nintendo ditches friend codes etc.

If this system has the same power as Xbox360\PS3 and coming out in 2012 Nintendo is going to run into the same trouble again .
By the time PS4 and Xbox720 come out it's going to be very under power , do people really understand how old the tech in PS3\Xbox360 is right now.
Nintendo needs to go above them it don't have to be huge but it should be better than PS4\Xbox360 in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom