• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirimar said:
It's nice to see people in Japan playing this, but I have no idea which play diaries to follow now =( Didn't expect to see so many and I'm wondering why none of them have created magic users. I'll have to stick to 2 now, one thief and one bow/2H axe using knight.
I haven't been able to watch any videos yet, but how does the bow work? I remember reading a few posts earlier about some people thinking it might go to a first person view for that.

Mirimar

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
:lol yea, makes sense. It's gotta be quite frustrating but so worth it! He still doesn't use the skills offered to his advantage, I haven't seen him parry once. Does he even block?

EDIT: The player on NicoNico is so awesome. That's how the game is meant to be played without a doubt. There was even some slow-motion counter with his shield, WTF was that?!

You already mentioned the skill, it's parry =P And this is exactly why I couldn't watch the stream any longer.

Mirimar

BMX Bandit said:
I haven't been able to watch any videos yet, but how does the bow work? I remember reading a few posts earlier about some people thinking it might go to a first person view for that.

It goes into first person view or in some cases, it stays in 3rd person. I think you have a choice. I see it mostly used for sniping out other archers and low-end enemies. Makes sense since even the weak enemies can hurt you significantly.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6055650

Skip to the 2min mark and you'll see it in action. He also uses it to snipe later on. He laments not having enough money to buy a crossbow he finds at a vendor :lol

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes, you're right. My fault.. What I meant is he doesn't even roll or anything like the other guy on Nico.

Yea, his lack of skill use makes the game look completely mundane, in my opinion. The other good thing about Nicovideo is that the cap on video length is massive, though I try to find those in the 20min mark.

Mirimar said:
You already mentioned the skill, it's parry =P And this is exactly why I couldn't watch the stream any longer.

Yes, you're right. My fault.. What I meant is he doesn't even roll or anything like the other guy on Nico.

Mirimar said:
Yea, his lack of skill use makes the game look completely mundane, in my opinion. The other good thing about Nicovideo is that the cap on video length is massive, though I try to find those in the 20min mark.

Exactly--the most recent one I'm watching is almost 40 minutes in length courtesy of the player using a thief. All the videos on Nico really make the combat look awesome. It's crazy to see the comparison between someone on NV and that other guy. The game is already #4 on Amazon Japan's best sellers list!!

Mirimar said:
It goes into first person view or in some cases, it stays in 3rd person. I think you have a choice. I see it mostly used for sniping out other archers and low-end enemies. Makes sense since even the weak enemies can hurt you significantly.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm6055650

Skip to the 2min mark and you'll see it in action. He also uses it to snipe later on. He laments not having enough money to buy a crossbow he finds at a vendor :lol
Thanks for the link. That does look pretty useful. I like using bows/crossbows/ranged weapons, but the melee combat looks like fun once you get the hang of it. Really looking forward to playing this game now.

BMX Bandit said:
Thanks for the link. That does look pretty useful. I like using bows/crossbows/ranged weapons, but the melee combat looks like fun once you get the hang of it. Really looking forward to playing this game now.

Definitely love that you have a choice, however it seems like maybe the bow is not always the best choice, as mentioned above. Seems like it doesn't do much damage from a good distance. Makes sense though. I'm really loving the combat in this. It's not just mindless hack-n-slash garbage...but it's also not slow-paced. Can't wait to see more weapons...still haven't seen any axe usage, or club, or spear. I believe I saw a katana via Black Phantom

Mirimar

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Definitely love that you have a choice, however it seems like maybe the bow is not always the best choice, as mentioned above. Seems like it doesn't do much damage from a good distance. Makes sense though. I'm really loving the combat in this. It's not just mindless hack-n-slash garbage...but it's also not slow-paced. Can't wait to see more weapons...still haven't seen any axe usage, or club, or spear. I believe I saw a katana via Black Phantom

Axe usage is in the link I posted. It doesn't seem like he has parry, but he does have a running charge attack that looks to go through defenses. I haven't seen any other weapon that acts differently if you get a running start.

Mirimar said:
Axe usage is in the link I posted. It doesn't seem like he has parry, but he does have a running charge attack that looks to go through defenses. I haven't seen any other weapon that acts differently if you get a running start.

I'll check it out...Not the same player right? Looks like there's some kind of molotov/throwable torch weapon, didn't see that yet. Love the variety even for a fantasy setting.

eXistor

I didn't even know there are different classes. That thief footage looks hot! Anyone know the other classes?

eXistor said:
I didn't even know there are different classes. That thief footage looks hot! Anyone know the other classes?

Yes there are 10 classes...Thief, Hunter, Barbarian, Shinto Priest, Knight, Warrior/Soldier, Magician, Vagabond/Ranger, Aristocrat, and Temple Knight...

Now I probably mixed up the names, it's from a Japanese preview/source so rough translation. But you get the idea, some balanced, some based in magic, and some based more in combat.

EDIT: I've updated the official post with pictures of the 10 classes - hopefully I didn't mix up the names, so I apologize in advance if I did!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Love the familiar From Software art, like the herbs the character takes to restore health. As far as some of the mechanics, this game literally is a 3rd Person King's Field (as stated). <3 Can't wait to get down on this game... I'm sure it'll be hated by the people who already dislike the slow nature of a lot of From Software games of this likeness. Makes me want to go through some of the King's Field games again.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
EDIT: I've updated the official post with pictures of the 10 classes - hopefully I didn't mix up the names, so I apologize in advance if I did!

Awesome, thanks! Been watching more videos (despite my "media blackout", yeah that lasted a whole 10 minutes!), and I really love the depth the combat seems to have. The live stream guy's hack-n-slash really was a terrible way to play. Some of the niconico videos show people not only strafing and backstabbing, but also using bows to pull enemies in closer and doing lunge attacks, parries, all sorts of things.

I also like how you can catch your weapon on fire. Not sure if you must apply an oil or something to it before hand, or if it's a spell, or what, but it's really bad ass.

KTallguy

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
Awesome, thanks! Been watching more videos (despite my "media blackout", yeah that lasted a whole 10 minutes!), and I really love the depth the combat seems to have.

Fuck media blackouts. :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
KTallguy said:
Fuck media blackouts. :lol

I came to this exact conclusion! :lol

I like the look of the Warrior/Soldier armor, that helmet is bad ass. Seems they really went for a medieval feel throughout, and I'm lovin' it. The Thief looks killer too. I can see myself dumping hundreds of hours into this game, playing through with every class.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Both the Asian and the Japanese version have English voice-overs. Japanese version has Japanese text/subtitles; Asian version has full English support, as well as Chinese text/subtitles.

Excellent, thanks.

The only thing holding me back right now is variety in the environments - have you guys who have been watching the streams seen much in the way of this? Every time I tune in it seems to be the same castle-y area.

Durante

Diseased Yak said:
The live stream guy's hack-n-slash really was a terrible way to play.
Yeah, I turned it off when he tried to fight with a huge sword in a cramped corridor and mostly just hit the walls.

This kind of strategical weapon usage is awesome though. Are you watching this Bethsoft? This is how you keep different weapon types relevant, not by giving daggers the same DPS as swords.

Diseased Yak said:
I came to this exact conclusion! :lol

I like the look of the Warrior/Soldier armor, that helmet is bad ass. Seems they really went for a medieval feel throughout, and I'm lovin' it. The Thief looks killer too. I can see myself dumping hundreds of hours into this game, playing through with every class.

Yea the character design, I believe, fits very well with the atmosphere of the game. The thief looks just like Rikimaru from Tenchu -- but regardless, it fits well within the context of the game. I wish I could find official information about the benefits of each class, but I think there's a good balance.

It's so tough to ignore all the streams on NicoNico - they are all playing it so well and make the combat look very different to how the first stream was. This is most definitely a new and improved King's Field and THAT's the key here.

MightyKAC

Man, whenever I walk by a plasma displaying this game when I go to Akihabara and see the fairly large crowds staring at it I gotta fight the urge to buy it right then and there.

Talk about torture :p

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Shit, I just realized, this and Star Ocean 4 are out this month (US) around the same time... nooooooooooooooooooo

MightyKAC said:
Man, whenever I walk by a plasma displaying this game when I go to Akihabara and see the fairly large crowds staring at it I gotta fight the urge to buy it right then and there.

Talk about torture :p

Haha that is torture. Almost every website I've visited is out of stock with the Japanese version already. Not sure if there was a delay in shipment or if it just sold well. I can't imagine how cool it would be to walk by a shop and catch a glimpse of it, especially with a crowd!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Haha that is torture. Almost every website I've visited is out of stock with the Japanese version already. Not sure if there was a delay in shipment or if it just sold well. I can't imagine how cool it would be to walk by a shop and catch a glimpse of it, especially with a crowd!

Huh. It's out of stock on amazon.jp too... wonder how big the shipment was...
Amazon reviews are really decent so far too.

Kagari said:
Huh. It's out of stock on amazon.jp too... wonder how big the shipment was...
Amazon reviews are really decent so far too.

Yea, weird right? Not sure what to make of it. In an email NCSx told me probably Fri/Mon they'd get their shipment but now the website says Feb. 12th for the Japanese version. Maybe pre-orders were higher than they anticipated?

Okay so I played a couple of hours last night before going to bed.

FUCK this game is brutal.

Oh and as far as death is concerned. If you die in your physical body you are turned into a soul and your HP is halved. It seems the only way to get your physical body back is to defeat one of the big demons? I don't know because I kept getting my ass kicked by this armor guy with a spear and a red eye who can kill me in one hit. Almost killed him once. lol

I also don't have the item which you can use to let someone summon you.

Seeing other character's spirits and their messages all over the place is pretty cool. It's funny too because some people put down fake messages and then you will see another one that says 'Beware messages that lie!"

Oh and about character classes, it appears that the choice you make at the beginning just affects your starting stats and equipment. It seems to be completely up to you after that.

I am playing a thief and it is pretty fun. The combat is not mindless at all and you have to be really really really really fucking careful. Parrys are cool but they are also a gamble of course.

I did save one NPC guy in the castle walls who was trapped by like 10 demons. I threw a fire bomb in the middle of them and it was awesome. He gave me some binouclar type thing that lets me see far in the distance I suppose.&#12288;Haven't used it because it might be one use only lol.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Okay so I played a couple of hours last night before going to bed.

FUCK this game is brutal.

Oh and as far as death is concerned. If you die in your physical body you are turned into a soul and your HP is halved. It seems the only way to get your physical body back is to defeat one of the big demons? I don't know because I kept getting my ass kicked by this armor guy with a spear and a red eye who can kill me in one hit. Almost killed him once. lol

I also don't have the item which you can use to let someone summon you.

Seeing other character's spirits and their messages all over the place is pretty cool. It's funny too because some people put down fake messages and then you will see another one that says 'Beware messages that lie!"

Oh and about character classes, it appears that the choice you make at the beginning just affects your starting stats and equipment. It seems to be completely up to you after that.

I am playing a thief and it is pretty fun. The combat is not mindless at all and you have to be really really really really fucking careful. Parrys are cool but they are also a gamble of course.

I did save one NPC guy in the castle walls who was trapped by like 10 demons. I threw a fire bomb in the middle of them and it was awesome. He gave me some binouclar type thing that lets me see far in the distance I suppose.&#12288;Haven't used it because it might be one use only lol.

Sounds good? Enjoying though? Did you get the Japanese version?

Paracelsus

BlueTsunami said:
Shit, I just realized, this and Star Ocean 4 are out this month (US) around the same time... nooooooooooooooooooo

And for people from Japan, there is also Yakuza 3. One hell of a "triple threat match".

Thrakier said:
Is it possible that the players character doesn't have a shadow...?

I've thought about this too. I personally don't care, but I swear that I've seen screens where a shadow is present... Maybe they had to take it out to fix that framerate issue? If that's the case, fine, as I'd rather have a nicely running game then a character shadow...

matmanx1

I'd pre-order the Asian version for sure now if I hadnt just purchased a new iPod Touch. Still, it's a strong possibility I'll bite later in the month since this game sounds so close to being an HD King's Field. Thanks for the streams and impressions folks.

Troidal

I read that the save data cannot be transferred so beware if you are playing it on a friend's PS3 or something. But I don't have the game so if anyone confirm this, it would be helpful.

I might switch my PS3 in a few weeks so I am still debating whether to pick this up now or later...

Kagari said:
That's right.

I actually have a theory but I can't be sure until I check.

Maybe when you are not in physical mode but instead in soul mode you don't have a shadow? Not really sure because I have only been a physical body for like 15 minutes tops so far. :lol :lol

Oh and I have already seen a couple of dragons on top of the castle walls. At first I only saw one sleeping on a cliff but then as I was crossing I heard the crazy fucking wings through my 5.1 and one started to land right near me so I bolted it the hell out. The sound design is crazy good so far and adds to the atmostphere a lot.

I really need to figure out how to revive my physical body when I get back home from work.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BudokaiMR2 said:

Maybe when you are not in physical mode but instead in soul mode you don't have a shadow? Not really sure because I have only been a physical body for like 15 minutes tops so far. :lol :lol

Oh and I have already seen a couple of dragons on top of the castle walls. At first I only saw one sleeping on a cliff but then as I was crossing I heard the crazy fucking wings through my 5.1 and one started to land right near me so I bolted it the hell out. The sound design is crazy good so far and adds to the atmostphere a lot.

I really need to figure out how to revive my physical body when I get back home from work.

XD Awesome. I really need to get this!

BudokaiMR2 said:

Ok so you can confirm that when you are in your physical body you saw were casting a shadow?

Kagari said:
XD Awesome. I really need to get this!

:lol Pretty much with you on that one...Watching everything, hearing about it, really really making it tough to wait patiently!

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ok so you can confirm that when you are in your physical body you saw were casting a shadow?

:lol Pretty much with you on that one...Watching everything, hearing about it, really really making it tough to wait patiently!

Nah I can't confirm anything yet. I might be wrong, but it kind of seems like it would make sense..... :p

Hopefully I can figure out how to revive myself tonight.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Nah I can't confirm anything yet. I might be wrong, but it kind of seems like it would make sense..... :p

Hopefully I can figure out how to revive myself tonight.

Alright cool, definitely let us know when you figure it out! Did you import? How'd you manage to get a copy, a lot of online retailers shipments were delayed a few days for the Japanese version...

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Alright cool, definitely let us know when you figure it out! Did you import? How'd you manage to get a copy, a lot of online retailers shipments were delayed a few days for the Japanese version...

I'm in weaboo land

Looks like there's a lot of cool plot elements. Watching some video from Nico and there's a very awesome cutscene at the end of the video. Very deep backstory that rings a bell of ivory.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I'm in weaboo land

So, correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying you're in Japan? :lol I've never heard someone use that term that way!

Lebron

Welp, I pre-ordered the Asian version. Those videos looked great, and the impressions seem to be good as well. This and SO4 coming out the same week is going to be brutal.

Yes I live in Japan.

Can't wait to play some more tonight, although I gotta try out KZ2 first to see what all the hype is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom