• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 PC Features Detailed.

Teknoman

Man at this rate, I hope GTA V releases on PC right alongside the console versions, that way both GAF crews can keep rolling. Anyway, dropped out the standard and applied for the PC GAF crew.

Of course...I dunno if you can be in multiple crews.

Man at this rate, I hope GTA V releases on PC right alongside the console versions, that way both GAF crews can keep rolling. Anyway, dropped out the standard and applied for the PC GAF crew.

Of course...I dunno if you can be in multiple crews.

Yes, you can be in multiple crews.

Alchemy

God damn it, can't get this fucker to run on my PC. Claims I have 0 MB GPU memory so I can't edit video settings in game, loads snail slow (I'm not even allowed to attempt to skip the first cinematic as it is 'still loading'), and runs at about half a frame per second.

And I really wanted to play this god damn game. Fuck.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game wont launch at all. Not from Steam nor directly from the exe.

What the fuck do I do now?

Zeliard

The game wont launch at all. Not from Steam nor directly from the exe.

What the fuck do I do now?

Verify integrity if you haven't.

Also if you have D3D overrider running, maybe there's a conflict there. Or with Fraps. It's happened in the past to me. Not sure with MP3 specifically.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reinstalled DirectX. Disabled everything, virus scanner included, other than computer/Steam essential software. Verified integrity.

Still won't boot. At the moment, I can't see myself buying a Rockstar PC port for the rest of my life.

Reinstalled DirectX. Disabled everything, virus scanner included, other than computer/Steam essential software. Verified integrity.

Still won't boot. At the moment, I can't see myself buying a Rockstar PC port for the rest of my life.

:O what? you're scaring me.. as I'm about to install it :(

scitek

Don't force triple buffering. It won't start if you do.

UrbanRats

EatChildren, it's a tough call, but have you tried simply launching the game several times? I say this because the game wouldn't launch for me, it would appear as a process in the task manager and disappear after a few seconds, like a trained monkey i clicked "play" again and again, like 5 or 6 times, and then all of a sudden it booted up normally (and played fine).
How could have they done such a smooth amazing PC version (runs smooth on relatively average machines, looks amazing etc) with such incredibly glaring issues? There are a lot of people who can't even boot it up. :\

EatChildren

I'm not using D3D to enable triple buffering, and it's not being forced in nVidia Inspector. Restarted. Verified again. Mashed the launch button.

Still nothing. Game appears for about two seconds in the task manager then disappears. Unable to even get into the menu.

Thanks Rockstar.

I'm not using D3D to enable triple buffering, and it's not being forced in nVidia Inspector. Restarted. Verified again. Mashed the launch button.

Still nothing. Game appears for about two seconds in the task manager then disappears. Unable to even get into the menu.

Thanks Rockstar.

at the start of the installation it warns that you need to disable your anti-virus program before installing

did you do this, children eater?

demolitio

Have you tried this yet? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2732135

It's worked for a lot of people on both Steam and retail. My retail copy wouldn't boot up after the updater and moving the whole folder and changing the launch actually worked and isn't as time consuming as I thought. Annoying, but I can play now!

I don't know if you tried that yet and can't go back and check the other pages so I figured I'd post it anyway hoping that's what you need. It had nothing to do with any anti-virus or any other program running.

UrbanRats

at the start of the installation it warns that you need to disable your anti-virus program before installing

did you do this, children eater?

I don't think it does on steam.
My Antivirus is constantly bugging me with one of MP3 files, though (and i constantly click "ignore". :\

EatChildren

Have you tried this yet? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2732135

It's worked for a lot of people on both Steam and retail. My retail copy wouldn't boot up after the updater and moving the whole folder and changing the launch actually worked and isn't as time consuming as I thought. Annoying, but I can play now!

I don't know if you tried that yet and can't go back and check the other pages so I figured I'd post it anyway hoping that's what you need. It had nothing to do with any anti-virus or any other program running.

You beautiful man. This fixed it. All I did was remove the spaces in the 'max payne 3' and 'Max Payne 3' folders where the game is installed under steamapps. Boots just fine now. Thanks, I appreciate it.

And fuck you Rockstar. Sort your dumb shit out.

demolitio

You beautiful man. This fixed it. All I did was remove the spaces in the 'max payne 3' and 'Max Payne 3' folders where the game is installed under steamapps. Boots just fine now. Thanks, I appreciate it.

No problem. I about shit a brick when I tried to boot the game and that happened and finally found that thread when it was just starting off and people were desperate to try anything. I was surprised it worked but then remembered it was Rockstar and realized it made sense then. Even when PC games get special features for their port, they still end up having problems that make you question if they ever even touched the game before shipping it. It's a pretty widespread problem for this game so it boggles the mind really.

Nekrono

Yep, I had the same issue and that fix did it for me as well.

And just in case you run into another issue I had as well with the game losing progress everytime I closed it and reopened it, I ended up fixing it by uninstalling my antivirus (Avira, was giving me false positives with the .exe), re-installing Rockstar's Social Club (on one of the Max Payne 3 folders) and deleting my profile on Rockstar's MP3 folder in your documents.

Now the game saves everything without any issues.

guys

I go to log in to my social club account.. and it says

please ensure you have internet access and try again

obviously I do, as I am posting this :/ what do I do :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
did they fix mouse lag? I don't have time to read all 25 pages, sorry, if it was asked before.

So for people saying that programs like FRAPS don't show the overlay, do they mean that all functionality for FRAPS stop working with MP3? Can you even take screenshots using FRAPS or is it just the framerate overlay that stops working?

pa22word

did they fix mouse lag? I don't have time to read all 25 pages, sorry, if it was asked before.

Yeah it was awful when I first booted it up as I kept both Vsync off and was using the in game FXAA slider. I turned off FXAA and used MSAA through CCC and my sensitivity went up, but was still sluggish. I ended up finishing the game like this, and earlier today I ended up turning on vsync because I was running it 70+ FPS at all times anyways,and my sensitivity went waaaaaaaaaaay up when I did this. There's still noticeable acceleration, but now I can 180 much, much faster and consistently pull off headshots in bullet time on enemies across the screen without dragging my mouse off my desk.

EDIT: I tweeted this to R* support and they added it to their official support site! If you're having issues I'd recommend doing the above^^^

[/QUOTE] This is probably as g...il they/users patch/mod out the acceleration.

demolitio

I still laugh every time I play this game since some of the gaffers joked around on Mumble one night and called me the real life Max Payne. I would like to say to those people, after playing this game for a while now, there are some similarities but the big difference is that I don't mix alcohol with the other shit because alcohol has caused sudden death for people with the same disease...lol.

I mixed them with alcohol once when the pain was too bad and that was the weirdest thing ever. That might be the reason for some of the effects in the game because people that are on painkillers for chronic reasons don't get the good feeling anymore.

So you bastards are only half correct now. Otherwise, this game is amazing. The MP is a lot better than I thought too.

well.. I disabled UAC, activated admin mode, and added the port to windows firewall..

now I'm stuck on initializing... anyone have any idea about that?

JohngPR

Hmm...it seems that the cutscene at the beginning of Chapter VI keeps freezing on me after a few minutes. Weird thing is, the audio keep going.

Anyone have a solution? I've done the end of Chapter five and watched a few minutes of the cutscene twice now and it froze both times.

Mr_Zombie

Look into Windows log, maybe some software you have creates a conflict. It appeared my friend had to uninstall Kaspersky antivirus, because a process that was running in the background (even when the antivirus was disabled) prevented the game to start.

As for the game, from what I've played it has a different atmosphere than Remedy games, but the game alone is fucking fantastic. :D I died a lot, but I really didn't mind that (ok, it was frustrating a bit :p), because the shooting is so fun.

Longshot

I have literally tried everything mentioned in this thread to get this POS game working, from verifying integrity of cache, rebooting, reinstalling, disabling UAC/anti-virus/firewall, copy/pasting the game dir files to C:\, renaming folders and even tried a cracked .exe and still nothing works.

Seriously considering putting in a support ticket to Steam to see if I can get a refund on this worthless hunk. Never buying another PC title from Rockstar again.

Jtrizzy

If anyone has microsoft security essentials, it could be a possible conflict. I got an error message the first time I loaded the game that mentioned that program. That said, I restarted it, and since then it's run as well as I could hope for.

Enco

I have literally tried everything mentioned in this thread to get this POS game working, from verifying integrity of cache, rebooting, reinstalling, disabling UAC/anti-virus/firewall, copy/pasting the game dir files to C:, renaming folders and even tried a cracked .exe and still nothing works.

Seriously considering putting in a support ticket to Steam to see if I can get a refund on this worthless hunk. Never buying another PC title from Rockstar again.
What problem do you have?

Try run as admin.

Longshot

What problem do you have?

Try run as admin.
The game won't make it passed the first intro cut scene, sometimes it gets further than it did prior, but for the life of me I cannot get this game to work.

And yeah I tried running as admin, still nothing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game won't make it passed the first intro cut scene, sometimes it gets further than it did prior, but for the life of me I cannot get this game to work.

Have you tried forcing it to run in DX9?

thuway

Tried almost every single fix and this shit still doesn't work. What the fuck Rockstar. Toshiba Qosmio Gaming Laptop - GTX 460m, Windows Service Pack 1, Core i7...

Enco

What Jase said.

What about comparability mode?

Yeah tried the -dx9 fix, nothing, even compatibility mode won't work.

I seriously find it perplexing how many people are having trouble playing this game, good lord.

It's fucking disgusting

tyipcally when a game releases.. people usually have one/two issues

this game has DOZENS of issues

the steam forums are just upsetting to see.. every thread is a different error :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah tried the -dx9 fix, nothing, even compatibility mode won't work.

I seriously find it perplexing how many people are having trouble playing this game, good lord.

The game is well-optimised, but it's also ludicrously volatile.

EatChildren

Mouse aiming is dreadful. I'm not using any AA (vsync is on though) due to how it murders performance (and I can't seem to force it), sensitivity is maxed and it still feels too slow.

Jubbly

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\max payne 3\Max Payne 3\common\movies

Remove fe_intro.bik and replace with a blank text file with the same name. See if that gets you to the main menu.

Top Bottom