• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: You must connect to the internet to "activate" all games + serial keys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahahahahhahhahahhahaha. I like how just prior to this event they went out of their way to be like, "NAW SON WE AIN'T CRAZY, we wouldn't block used games or force you to have an internet connection."

But yeah son, they fuckin crazy.

if you think about it.

this is all your fault.

you.

bending over, saying online pass isnt a big deal.

online only isnt a big deal.

FUCK YOU., YOU!

charsace

So PC and what has been going on in all forms of media for a while?

Its obvious Sony will do something similar. EA dropped their online pass system for a reason. And I doubt the reason was xbox alone.

Anteo

Don't miss the best part!

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

Man, with this, and WiiU in the state it is, Sony doesn't have to do that much to get ahead on sales. Just don't do this and you are set.

Here is hoping the bolded part means playing it online requiers to buy it again, but offline is fine.

Guevara

Damn.

Sometimes I think everyone from Ballmer on down are plants intent on destroying the company from the inside.

And to think, some guy got fired trying to defend this crap. And here they are........ defending it. Granted he was way more offensive about it, but in light of this actually being true I don't think it matters anymore.

Roffles. I hope this tanks. The 360 should have tanked after the 360 RRoD. I loved the original xbox for the most part, but MS is pushing a bit too hard here to rope everyone into staying connected and hooked into their e-store crap constantly.

VF4uMAJ.png

The Jason

"It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Wow it's almost as if I OWN the game.

But of course, if I want to sell the product I bought..

iNvid02

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Brashnir

Yup.

Not a major issue unless you buy a brand new console and a brand new game and have no internet to do anything with it.

Except Steam removes the barrier of cracking out a code, punching it in by hand (and this will be on a controller no less. delicious...) and then inevitably losing the key.

More importantly, Steam offers great deals on games all the time. Any guess on how often you get packs of 50 games for 40 bucks on XBox Live on this thing?

Wow, so I have to connect to the internet every time I buy a new game. I thought we were moving toward instant playing, not adding more hurdles.

The future is awesome.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They are actually using Serial Numbers? I thought they would have some cool disc tech that had the auth code in that inner ring.

I wonder if Microsoft will allow for some sort of Phone Activation. Call up a number, punch in the code, the phone will give you a follow up code. Like for older versions of Windows.

Yup.

Not a major issue unless you buy a brand new console and a brand new game and have no internet to do anything with it.

Not a major issue?

PC sales have been in the dumpster for a decade. In fact, PC sales were doing so badly, MS closed all their PC game studios.

Is that the model MS wants to follow?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
you will be able to resell your games and buy used though, so not like steam

Yeah but how much will you get for that used game if MS is charging the buyer "full" price to activate?

At least Steam has amazing sales, that could be a saving grace if MS does as well but it is still a hard fucking sell.

Curious if Sony may choose the same route for PS4. I hope not.
This is the big question. Sony would like to maximize its revenue as well . . . . do they try to under cut MS by not following along? Or do they adopt the same strategy in solidarity?

Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom