• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT| So the industry might be mended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
It would be awesome, for sure.

I sort of like the R1 button as attack though...
Yeah, my most important change (besides swapping RB and RT on 360) would be moving dodge/run to A on 360, or X on PS3. Don't want all that muscle memory from MH to go to waste!

oroboros

So if they really are splitting the servers up by region instead of global servers, does anyone know what determines the server you will be playing on? Is it by the game, system, or PSN account region? I'm importing Japan version, but I live in US with a US system and PSN account. Will I be playing on Japan servers or NA? Thanks

Attention to anyone who hasn't pre-ordered the game. I found out that today is the last day to pre-order the CE at Gamestop, i.e. there will be a regular edition of the game at launch, not just the CE. I don't know what other retailers policies are(maybe Amazon or BB will have more CE copies available), but if you're planning on picking up the game at launch, pre-order the game somewhere so you don't miss out on the CE goodies.

oroboros said:
So if they really are splitting the servers up by region instead of global servers, does anyone know what determines the server you will be playing on? Is it by the game, system, or PSN account region? I'm importing Japan version, but I live in US with a US system and PSN account. Will I be playing on Japan servers or NA? Thanks

I would suspect it depends on the game version. It could be a combination of the game and account as well...

Orayn said:
Yeah, my most important change (besides swapping RB and RT on 360) would be moving dodge/run to A on 360, or X on PS3. Don't want all that muscle memory from MH to go to waste!

Haha, of course!

Zzoram

I just tried to preorder Dark Souls CE PS3 at EBGames in Canada and was told that they are sold out. They still had 360 CE versions though.

I'm pissed. I have EBGames credit that I can't spend because I don't want anything else this year.

I'm going to ask Best Buy if they have the PS3 Dark Souls CE for preorder.

I hope that EBGames doesn't stop taking preorders for the CE tomorrow because I wont be able to get to another EBGames until Wednesday.

Hi2u

Banned
So is it really RB to attack on 360 version or is this just a rumour? I just find it pretty shocking they'd do it like that.

Watching the Deprived TGS footage...am I seeing self-shadowing?!

Hi2u said:
So is it really RB to attack on 360 version or is this just a rumour? I just find it pretty shocking they'd do it like that.

My guess is yes, if it's a mirroring of the PS3 control scheme which they probably didn't alter too much from Demon's Souls.

Orayn

Hi2u said:
No, it's been visible in all the 360 footage of the tutorial, unfortunately. Not the end of the world, just annoying...

If you want to help get a swapping option patched in, feel free to send a tweet to @filthierich to see if he'll pass word along to From Software.

Looks like I'm jumping in thanks to this damn thread and a $25 Gamestop gift card coming my way. That + a trade-in or two is worth rolling the dice on a disc I may want to chew to bits in frustration after a week.

Totalriot

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I would suspect it depends on the game version. It could be a combination of the game and account as well...

If they go the route of Demon's Souls, the game version is decisive. I have the US version with an EU PSN account and cannot play with players who have the EU version.

Dunan said:
I'm still on the fence about preordering the US collector's edition.

The Japanese version gives you a physical soundtrack and map:

_h475_4949776341053_001.jpg

...but costs Y8900, or almost $120!

The US CE is half the price at $60:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00542ZQJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...but the extras aren't pictured. The strategy guide is a one-user-only digital thing, right? How about the soundtrack? Not that the game's not worth buying, but I might just shell out for the Japanese version and play it on Day 1.
Is that a cloth map?

Orayn

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Looks like I'm jumping in thanks to this damn thread and a $25 Gamestop gift card coming my way. That + a trade-in or two is worth rolling the dice on a disc I may want to chew to bits in frustration after a week.
Welcome to the fold! If you have any unanswered questions, just throw 'em out and wait for me and Cyclops to simul-post the answer. :p

_dementia said:
Is that a cloth map?

Looks like it doesn't it

Totalriot said:
If they go the route of Demon's Souls, the game version is decisive. I have the US version with an EU PSN account and cannot play with players who have the EU version.

Yes, that would be my guess as well, but with rumors that the servers are global, and rumors they aren't, tough to say for sure right now.

Orayn said:
Welcome to the fold! If you have any unanswered questions, just throw 'em out and wait for me and Cyclops to simul-post the answer. :p

Perfect response, haha

ced said:
I would love to be able to remap the attack button to the face buttons.

It would be nice, but honestly after so much time with Demon's Souls, it would feel so weird to have the controls any different. To me, that is.

Orayn

ced said:
I would love to be able to remap the attack button to the face buttons.
Yeah, I can see myself trying that out, were it an option. The fact that you control facing with the left stick means that it's not essential to control the camera while launching attacks, so the game would work just fine with a custom setup similar to Monster Hunter or Devil May Cry. Hell, I might even try locking targets with LT in the vein of Zelda or Darksiders.

Totalriot

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes, that would be my guess as well, but with rumors that the servers are global, and rumors they aren't, tough to say for sure right now.

I really really hope the servers are global. Would be a shame if Dark Souls GAF can't play together.

Canova

Banned
oroboros said:

Online play is cross region this time. Japanese players can play with NA or EU players

A while back actually.
http://thesilentchief.com/2011/02/08/dark-souls-servers-wont-be-region-seperated-no-demo-planned/
He also confirms that Dark Souls is not just a worldwide game in terms of release, but also in the the online space. He was disappointed that they could not implement an online system for Demon’s Souls where all players could play together, and it’s a pity because the online system was specifically designed such that it did not require direct interaction between languages. For Dark Souls you will be able to play with players all over the world.

Based on the article, it mentions translation from NeoGAF.

GAF > Internet > GAF

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25838223#post25838223

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Two..more..days. Got back into DS now since a fellow GAFer was kind enough to offer dropping me some weapons, though I need to grind some levels. Using this as a chance to just run through the game again and master the controls again. I love that when I talk to NPCs in this game I take off all my fingers from the controller so I don't hit anything but talk. Two straight runs I hit Patches in 2-1..UGH.

Also enough of us here will be playing the JP version so there will definitely be chances to play with GAF if you import and the servers are not global..not factoring in time zones..

I've updated the OT with the server information/confirmation of global play from that interview. I apologize for the misinformation, as I didn't refresh all the info from interviews.

Canova

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Someone posted a link earlier, on the Wikispaces wiki. One of the users there "arrow43" I believe, said he can confirm that servers aren't global.

Any new info you've got? It's tough to say for sure at this point.

No more dedicated servers this time. It's hybrid between PSN servers and P2P, so online is global

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
Oh c'mon people. You're all just trying to find an excuse for when the inevitable demon-rape-train runs you over so you can say "See! I got my ass handed to me because RT is the HEAVY attack instead of RB!!!"

Seriously, it's almost a non-issue. The timing of your attack is nowhere near as important as timing your attack against the enemy, so the bumper cannot perform that shitty, you'll see.

And don't worry about that MH muscle memory. The demons will make you learn to use the right button quick.

Now, southpaw... it would make sense if the game supports the left hand as the main offensive hand. Otherwise it's really weird, pressing the left shoulder button to see him attacking from the right? Doesn't looks right.

moonspeak said:
Awesome. :D

Gonna get as many friends as I can to play this with me.

:D Where are you located? I'm hoping to co-op with many more folks this time around.

Also, not sure if you saw but I added your cover artwork to the thread. Thanks again!

Orayn

Max said:
Is the RB button unsatisfactory because it clicks?
Well, no. It's just in a slightly less accessible position, and takes a bit more force to press than the trigger. Not a huge deal, just inconvenient.

I think I'm going to change my order from Amazon to Gamestop unless Amazon has a promotional offer. October 4th has a shitload of games and the chances of a midnight release on one of them is pretty high.

Orayn

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Isn't it exactly the same as the first game though?
Yes, but the way one holds a 360 controller is a little different in that your fingers naturally rest on the triggers, whereas they fall somewhere between the two shoulder buttons on a Dual Shock.

Orayn said:
Yes, but the way one holds a 360 controller is a little different in that your fingers naturally rest on the triggers, whereas they fall somewhere between the two shoulder buttons on a Dual Shock.

True, are there any other games that use RB to attack? I get the feeling I've played other games that have.

Soma

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
:D Where are you located? I'm hoping to co-op with many more folks this time around.

Also, not sure if you saw but I added your cover artwork to the thread. Thanks again!
In America but I have a few friends all over who are interested in playing this. The more exposure the game gets the better!

And thanks a lot man I appreciate it :)

Orayn said:

Have you ever played a ton of MH and then straight to Demon's Souls? :p I died a couple times trying to attack with Triangle lol.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
True, are there any other games that use RB to attack? I get the feeling I've played other games that have.

RB is often the grenade or melee button in shooters, if you consider those to be attacks. As for RB being a primary attack button, I can't think of anything.

Foffy

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
If only this game would sell several million copies so we could see more awesome games like this one.

If Namco's Youtube advertising is anything, I hope they pimp the hell out of this game.

I have yet to see it fall off the top lists on Amazon for games for over a month now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
sublimit said:
FROMSOFTWARE GAME FESTA 2011
Could anyone translate in case there is some new information there?Google translator is funny.:p

Absolutely nothing interesting. Just talks about starter jobs, how the beginning is very open and how basically everyone playtesting it there chose a different path to explore. How surprised they would be when they could go this way or that way, blah blah. And that it'll be hard and death waiting at every corner and blah blah. Also the event had the game online so the players could try summoning eachother. It's Dark Souls!

Soma

Looking back at Demon's Souls I really really hope they do something like the
Old Monk
boss fight in the new game. That was such an amazing feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom