• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

How do they always make them worse?

android-o-emoji-evolution.jpeg

The hell is this?

Downhill sense 5.0

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's Google.

They currently have no direction. They are just throwing shit around now. Some of it good. Some of it bad.

HawkeyeIC

Google weren't kidding about the boot time it's really fast!

PiP mode doesn't seem to work yet and the custom lock screen apps also don't work.

New ambient display though just a small update though.

I think beta 3 for N was stable. Will wait.

Hasney

Only real bug I've found on the Pixel C O beta so far is that when I get a dialogue box in Chrome, like pressing the Inesrt Image button on a GAF post, it pops up a quick view of a tab I've already closed.

Saiyan-Rox

New ambient screen doesn't seem to activate the touch screen you can't tap again to turn the screen on also text is huge!

ArchAngel

Holy cow, just restarted the Pixel XL to see if the boot times are better. What thell did they do in Nougat? I've never seen a phone booting up this fast o_O
Even my friends S8 took 2 secs longer.
My Pixel went from 35 to 15 sec boot up.

Well, times don't matter as I'm rebooting my phone once a month for the update, but nice improvement.

Mindwipe

That was a pretty shitty conference. Not much for Android at all tbh. Still no meaningful work on backup. No battery diagnosis for users, no theme engine expansion, no one-hand use shrink service, no notification mirroring etc etc.

Google uncouple updating emoji from the system but don't understand that there are lots of parts of the OS that need the same.

Glad they sorted the Daydream/S8 mess though. And the old emoji sucked, so I'm not sorry to see them go.

No Love

Banned
Perhaps Google isn't putting work into regular Android anymore because they're planning a full transition to Fuchsia?

Maybe in the US, in the UK we have contactless almost everywhere. I make every purchase with android pay here.

Exactly. Practically everywhere takes contactless payments these days, so by extension Android Pay.

It's one of the main reasons I can't wait to have my 5x back once it's repaired.

Which is how it should be. I want to live in this future.

i want to live in this future also, but these American companies keep fucking up.

almost two years later and half of the places i go to still have swipe terminals and many of the ones with chips have NFC disabled.

it seems like only fast food places really care. you would think it would be the opposite since who CC scams a 20 piece nuggets?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This IO was fantastic. I'm not disappointed because I expected nothing. It also demonstrates Google isn't focused on these things right now. That means they're working on something else. Great news. Perhaps we'll get a taste during Pixel 2?

Jeffrey

So big android o changes in beta.

Pixel now boots up at the speed as any other android device.

Picture in picture for YouTube but only red. S8 can already do this for any youtube.

Auto fill passwords from your chrome save passwords in apps is nice.

time to retire my Huawei Watch

long live Tizen Gear
I'll buy it for $50.

EmiPrime

Auto fill passwords from your chrome save passwords in apps is nice.

Should they really be encouraging that feature? I thought the database protection on Chrome saved passwords was almost non-existent at least on desktop, not sure on mobile.

This IO was fantastic. I'm not disappointed because I expected nothing. It also demonstrates Google isn't focused on these things right now. That means they're working on something else. Great news. Perhaps we'll get a taste during Pixel 2?
working on ways to get more user data lol

the blobs were kinda cute but too out of place in the emoji-verse so I'm not sad to see them go.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ha probably. Frankly, this IO just reinforced my recent decision to switch to iOS. It's Apple time now and I'll jump back to Android if Google regains the lead. Still haven't turned on iMessage or went fully iCloud.

Quasar

Some interesting stuff. I don't really understand the enthusiasm for kotlin. I would have thought a better idea would be native support for a google language. Or hell anything but another java connected language. Even swift would be better.

Like the new AndroidTV home screen. Reminds me a lot of the AndroidTV YouTube interface.

The newhome stuff is looking nice.

Installed the O beta on my 5x. Seems to be running ok so far.

Quasar

Ha probably. Frankly, this IO just reinforced my recent decision to switch to iOS. It's Apple time now and I'll jump back to Android if Google regains the lead. Still haven't turned on iMessage or went fully iCloud.

Lead in what way....I'm still not seeing an apple lead anywhere.

Jeffrey

all apple is doing for the most part is catch up to android lol. Seems like jesus phone will get capacitive nav buttons lol.

Still trying to figure out what features ios has that android is missing besides imessage and faster browser.

heck can ios load webm's yet?

Groof

the blobs were kinda cute but too out of place in the emoji-verse so I'm not sad to see them go.
as much as i liked the blobs this is a necessary change for the bigger crowd. less confusion. and tbh they don't look too bad, better than iOS at least

Quasar

My disappointment probably is with the standalone headset. It should have included the AR stuff rather than having that separate and on your phone

Quasar

Mr.Shrugglesツ;237193758 said:
Today's Google Assistant keynote was amazing. I wonder what 2012 will bring.

The voice calling feature made me sad in that it will end up US only probably forever like Google Voice.

Otherwise though I'm pretty happy. Probaby will buy a second home when it releases in Australia.

Top Bottom