• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

Rezbit said:
Wow@those unsold players. David Hussey getting a gig over Mike? Holy crap. My picks are Hyderabad and Mohali, very fucking good teams there.

There is a second round of drafting yet.

Jaipur have played their cards well. Pretty much all the other clubs have spent their salary cap in the first round.

Jaipur has nearly 3 million left to spend, and with no other teams with much cash left to bid on the remaining players, they can pick up some massive bargains.

legend166

1/13 after 7.1 overs. Ponting dropped. Tony Greig saying Kallis is better than Ponting because of the prices at the IPL auction.

tri_willy

greig too bias
of course he said that since he's part south african
kallis will prob have one of the lowest strike rates
in that tournament anyway, knowing how he scores
his runs usually...

master15

Australia's ordinary performance with the bat continues. Hayden gone. Jeez, it's really hard to watch players like Hayden and Pointing look really ordinary and ugly playing these shots.

Kallis is a solid player but in terms of ODI's/20-20 as we saw in his innings in the World Cup (Arguably where he put South Africa well behind the 8 ball) he takes a while to get going.

Edit: Clarke almost get's run out...oh dear.

Grug

Ponting gone off a silly runout.

Terrible cricket again by our top order.

Can Michael Clarke save the day again?

Grug

santouras said:
how low on confidence is ponting, its crazy! The bowlers are going to have to save us again

Our luck can't last forever in this regard. Batters need to give the bowlers SOMETHING to work with.

master15

Grug said:
Our luck can't last forever in this regard. Batters need to give the bowlers SOMETHING to work with.

Exactly, you can only expect our bowlers to do so much magic before it becomes down right silly.

I would love to see Australia chasing next game. Because everytime we've tried setting any sort of total we've been 3-5 wickets down before you know it.

Mahroof, good comeback from the other night.

Grug

We'll have to go after Murali, we have no choice.

Can't help but ponder how much of a distraction this IPL thing has been.

Pachael

Yeah, it's handy. Whew - my fear was a really short game if the Aussies get routed. I'm off to the 'G now, hope we win :)

master15

What bothers me is the top 3-4 bastmen haven't been prepared to dig in their heels and grit out an innings. Hayden has been particulary guilty of this the whole series. If he get's no runs of 4-5 balls consecutively he's prone to playing a rash shot and looking to get his innings going with big strokes.

200 is on now though

Grug

master15 said:
What bothers me is the top 3-4 bastmen haven't been prepared to dig in their heels and grit out an innings. Hayden has been particulary guilty of this the whole series. If he get's no runs of 4-5 balls consecutively he's prone to playing a rash shot and looking to get his innings going with big strokes.

Yeah, I think Hayden is losing his ODI edge to be honest. He still flourishes in a test environment though where he doesn't have to chase every bad ball.

I am a proud Queenslander and Hayden has well and truly earned hero status in my eyes, but he may need to be dropped from the ODI team for now. Move Hopes up to opener and bring David Hussey in to bat after his brother.

Great 50 btw Pup, take a bow.

Grug

Well we ended up with 184, we've consistently bowled out teams for less than that in this series, but I can't help but feel our luck has run out this time.

We'll see...

master15

Grug said:
Well we ended up with 184, we've consistently bowled out teams for less than that in this series, but I can't help but feel our luck has run out this time.

We'll see...

Agreed, 184 really is an ordinary score especially with the line-up we have. You can only expect our bowlers to do so much and I agree they've got an uphill battle to containing Sri Lanka this time.

Also as bad as this may sound, Sri Lanka winning wouldn't be so bad considering it will really put the acid on India and add some interest for the remaining games.

Grug

master15 said:
Agreed, 184 really is an ordinary score especially with the line-up we have. You can only expect our bowlers to do so much and I agree they've got an uphill battle to containing Sri Lanka this time.

Also as bad as this may sound, Sri Lanka winning wouldn't be so bad considering it will really put the acid on India and add some interest for the remaining games.

Yeah, if Sri Lanka win, I hope they get the bonus point and put the pressure on India.

Losing also wouldn't be so bad because our batsmen need the ultimate kick up the bum to realise they have to play their part. They've relied on our bowlers for about 5 games straight, and its an unhealthy way to go about our cricket.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
WOW we batted shit ER, god man jesus, we need to start threating some cuts or something, shocking stuff, hopefully our bowlers can get us through again.

tri_willy

quote homer simpson:

the winner shall be showered with praise!
the loser shall be booed until my throat is sore!

on a more serious note, i'd like sri lanka to
win with a bonus point only to make the
competition more interesting

cyclone87

I'm a little late to the party today.

Australia's batting is officially in a state of Crisis, when I turn the game on the score was 4/65 after 26 overs.... I nearly fell over. With the exception of Clarke and patches from Hayden and Hussey our batting line-up is a disgrace and something needs to be done about it. Our bowlers cannot keep saving them the way they have been as the time will come when there will be nothing they can do either.

On the other hand Sri Lanka have had a pretty bad start as well so the game may not be as lost as I thought, Kumar is definitely the danger man and if they can get him out early they will be in a good strong position to win I think.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Finally back on, think i might leave grandstand on though during the tv broadcast :lol makes it so much better, sorry Richie but you got no lols material.

master15

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
sorry Richie but you got no lols material.

Huh? Everything Richie says is filled with his typical dry sense of humour and while he may be going on in years, his snarky little comments are second to none.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Eh i like Grandstand better, got a good lol of their missed Symonds catch before

"For 1.5 million he better catch it" or something to that effect.

Good wicket for Bracken, cricket really seems to me to be a sport of mistakes, bowlers forcing batters to make mistakes, not taking anything away from them but thats how it is for me.

I think Australia will win this one. Their bowling performances of late have been excellent. If Lee had been in the side, I would've guaranteed it from the start of the Sri Lankan innings, but Stuart Clark has really fired up today...

Anyway, on the IPL, since I'll be avidly watching it on Network Ten this year, I think one team stands out:

Hyderabad- Adam Gilchrist (US$700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$675,000), Scott Styris (US$175,000), VVS Laxman (US$375,000), Rohit Sharma (US$750,000), Chamara Silva (US$100,000), RP Singh (US$875,000), Chaminda Vaas (US$200,000), Nuwan Zoysa (US$110,000)

That's just a ridiculous amount of talent in one team, they really should dominate. Gilchrist, Gibbs and Afridi have some of the best strike rates in the business, Styris and Symonds are two of the best all-rounders going around in the game, Laxman is a beautiful stroke-maker, Sharma and Silva are great solid middle-men, and Vaas, RP Singh and Zoysa are impressive, if not terrific bowlers.

Definitely the most balanced team in the league, although their lack of spinners could hurt them, but that's a minimal consideration due to the part-time spin of Symonds and Afridi. This type of balance also allows a flexibility in terms of lineup that could be missing at other sides. If wickets are falling quickly, Laxman would be the first solid man to put in due to his combination of defensive ability and smooth shot-play; partnering up Silva and Sharma with the big time hitters like Styris, Afridi and Symonds could work well, too. On the flip side of the coin, if things are going well, they could fill their top and middle order with just the big hitters. One thing should stay the same, though: Gibbs and Gilchrist should always open the batting.

Absolutely terrific and mouthwatering to those of us who've contemplated international dream-teams in the past. :D

cyclone87

If the rain doesn't let up then Australia will win anyway and whilst I'm not unhappy about that (considering their disgraceful batting innings) I'd prefer to watch a game and see a side actually win rather than having the rain do it for them, the weather really has been a pain in the arse so far this series.

Grug

Its a shame it rained. Had a game on our hands.

Looked like our bowlers were going to do the impossible again.

cyclone87

So not only is Australia declared the winners but they also received a bonus point for it, now that is a real kick in the teeth to Sri Lanka.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Oh well, i recon the next India Sri Lanka game will be closer........ well it was down to the wire last time but i recon Sri Lanka might get lucky.

Amarnath

Tim the Wiz said:
I think Australia will win this one. Their bowling performances of late have been excellent. If Lee had been in the side, I would've guaranteed it from the start of the Sri Lankan innings, but Stuart Clark has really fired up today...

Anyway, on the IPL, since I'll be avidly watching it on Network Ten this year, I think one team stands out:

Hyderabad- Adam Gilchrist (US$700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$675,000), Scott Styris (US$175,000), VVS Laxman (US$375,000), Rohit Sharma (US$750,000), Chamara Silva (US$100,000), RP Singh (US$875,000), Chaminda Vaas (US$200,000), Nuwan Zoysa (US$110,000)

That's just a ridiculous amount of talent in one team, they really should dominate. Gilchrist, Gibbs and Afridi have some of the best strike rates in the business, Styris and Symonds are two of the best all-rounders going around in the game, Laxman is a beautiful stroke-maker, Sharma and Silva are great solid middle-men, and Vaas, RP Singh and Zoysa are impressive, if not terrific bowlers.

Definitely the most balanced team in the league, although their lack of spinners could hurt them, but that's a minimal consideration due to the part-time spin of Symonds and Afridi. This type of balance also allows a flexibility in terms of lineup that could be missing at other sides. If wickets are falling quickly, Laxman would be the first solid man to put in due to his combination of defensive ability and smooth shot-play; partnering up Silva and Sharma with the big time hitters like Styris, Afridi and Symonds could work well, too. On the flip side of the coin, if things are going well, they could fill their top and middle order with just the big hitters. One thing should stay the same, though: Gibbs and Gilchrist should always open the batting.

Absolutely terrific and mouthwatering to those of us who've contemplated international dream-teams in the past. :D

Mohali also has a good combination. Yuvi, Sangakkara and Jayawardene are all explosive batsmen. Brett lee, Sreesanth and Irfan Pathan make a good pace attack.

My city team, Bangalore, is hopeless, all we got are test batsmen, the only hitter as far as i can see is Mark Boucher. Bowling looks good with Bracken and Zaheer. I really don't know about White but i heard good things about him.

Pachael

I'm back. Boy, was the G bloody cold and the entertainment stopped after the rain came. Shame, since at the same point of the innings they were fairly even matched. Oh well :|

Top Bottom