• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

m0t0k1

Swiss person here.

Just came off the phone with the biggest retailer - they didn't get a single copy of the game.

They said first they expect to get games late always now due to new policy of leaks, but "their source at Nintendo told them it's also to capture sales on digital e-shop to get bigger margins first for those that simply cannot wait"

Had to cancel and pay 10 bucks more going digital. 10 bucks dude.

It's the only weekend for weeks I can play a game either. Damn u Nintendo! Really grinds my gears.

Edit
:

Paid 79.90.

Damn thats a lot of money. Maybe try to create an account in a different European country to save some money the next time you go digital? I ordered my game online at one of our big online retailers and got it today. But handheld mode looks really bad compared to docked. Was planning on playing it mostly handheld but after testing it changed my mind.

Nekster

This game has the best ost of the year so far. 5 hours into the game. And i've finished Zelda, Odyssey and Nier: Automata.

Does anyone know if you can respec abilities at some point in the game?

yeah i don't feel bad to say it but this game looks bad in portable mode,
some real strange artifacts going on in portable.
it looks really low res, def not native 720p not a chance.

Yeah, I think it’s 540p max in portable mode and 720p max in docked mode. Similar to DOOM. Portable mode can also drop pretty low like that game. The temporal antialiasing helps a lot but when the resolution goes low you get a very blurry image.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=253072442
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=253072490

Docked vs undocked comparisons: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=253072508

Image certainly looks soft in handheld mode, but it's still beautiful.

Just arrived in the city. I almost lost myself in the forest area before, simply because the music was so fairy-tale like, and the lighting is phenomenal. Seeing the foliage, and light rays shining from above. Lovely.

The presentation also manages to be just unpredictable enough. Just when I thought 'ah, ok,now that kinda scene is going to unfold', something diverges from that.

Too tired now though. Cya tomorrow, fellow drivers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Adamator

Awesome OT! Well done! Very pumped for this game, but man I still haven't finished a single playthrough of Skyrim yet so I need to pick up the pace to get into this next lol. It's a good problem to have though!

I haven’t even started my copy of Skyrim yet. Not once! I’ve also never ever played Skyrim. Bought it for Switch though and hope I actually play it now that Xenoblade is out. I have TOO MANY GAMES. Not only that, I have too many long games in my backlog. Thank God the switch is what it is. (Portable!)

tuffymon

Said this in the other XbC2 thread, so I'll only say it once here. I'll be livestreaming XbC2 for 24 hours @ 9am cst - 9am cst for Child's play charity. I've fully updated the game, and just sitting on the title screen (killing me to wait, but its only half a day right? >.>) I'll be on twitch.tv/tuffymon for anyone who is interested.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just got to the second town (chapter 2)

The finale to chapter 1 was amazing. Truly the game I’ve been waiting for

Been playing in English. I downloaded the JPN audio but I actually prefer the English female and villain voices considerably over the JPN ones.

The res drop in handheld isn’t as jarring as the weird sharpening that they do. If they killed that filter it would probably raise IQ in handheld mode considerably.

Absolutely loving every part of this game so far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just got to the second town (chapter 2)

The finale to chapter 1 was amazing. Truly the game I’ve been waiting for

Been playing in English. I downloaded the JPN audio but I actually prefer the English female and villain voices considerably over the JPN ones.

The res drop in handheld isn’t as jarring as the weird sharpening that they do. If they killed that filter it would probably raise IQ in handheld mode considerably.

Absolutely loving every part of this game so far.

Ah maybe THATS the thing that annoys me!
That strange halo around your characters.🤔
It looks like some idiot with zero photoshop skills adjusted a picture for his instagram.

I really hope they will patch it

Synless

I can’t express how disappointed I am with the soundtrack included in the SE. not that the songs are disappointing, but the number of them is. I am loving the art book though.

Pilgrimm

Anyway to see progress of the affinity chart?

Seems like some are locked to areas...just can't find where that'd be?

Looks like the time tracking for hours played is broken in this game. I have hardly put in an hour into the game and when I saved it says 12 hours. Seems like it doesn't take into consideration when the Switch is in sleep mode.

zakujanai

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm just at the point where you learn to awaken new blades and I realised that in battle it no longer has a description of exactly what each ability does (the bit in the bottom right). Only icons are there now, have I inadvertently deactivated the accompanying descriptions? Or were they only for the very early stages of the game?

Apart from this bit of weirdness I'm having a pretty great time with the game. Love Nia's Welsh voice.

Edit: Solved it, I must have clicked the left stick which switches palette details on/off.

Zenaku

Looks like the time tracking for hours played is broken in this game. I have hardly put in an hour into the game and when I saved it says 12 hours. Seems like it doesn't take into consideration when the Switch is in sleep mode.
Are you sure you haven't mixed up playtime with the last time you saved?

I just checked and the time didnt change, either with suspend+sleep or just straight up sleeping.

Almost 9 hours in now. You know, as someone who loved XBX, it is surprising how MonolithSoft is capable of elaborate story telling after all ;p

The story never stops, always pulls you with it, while still giving room to explore some. I'd wish more games were like this, instead of forcing the player through lengthy patches of mediocre content inbetween high points.

Two immediate things I gotta say:

1) Advice for beginners: don't spend too much time fighting alone, wait until you've got a full party. Suddenly it's way more fun, faster and strategic.

2) I NEED a Poppi-spinoff game. Preferably an action-game. God, she's adorbs.

2 more days...

How's the framerate? Looks pretty smooth in youtube reviews.

Framerate is super smooth. I had one short stutter earlier.

jpadula

Neo Member
bullet spongEs are insane here. if u are low lvl, wait when u are 20+

My 23 lvl party fight 20 lvl small lizard for minute, doing breaks, topples, 3tier combos like it would be map mid-boss.

Its my beloved serie and I had to stop (a person who killed literally every monster in XCX).
Its RIDDICULUS and super chore.

TheDivision sponges are like one-shot comparing to XC2;

they screwed it up; big monsters , uniques, midbosses etc should have tons of hp. But when ur basic attack is 200-300, tier3 supercombo is 6000 dmg and weakest monster on map has 80.000 HP then something is fcked up hard;(

On low lvls I managed it by having +30% dmg and +20 str;

I cant it play anymore - every weak monster is like boss fight. Going to finish for the story later ot but the whole XC1/XCX concept of fight enjoyment is gone.

Best buy messed up my launch day delivery for games for the second time. I'll have to wait just a bit longer to try this game out. Hopefully it's worth it.

Yagami_Sama

Amazon did the same with my special edition.Instead of delivering on the release day,now the prediction is December 4th. And this is the third time in a row. First was Super Mario Odyssey then Skyrim.

Zenaku

bullet spongEs are insane here. if u are low lvl, wait when u are 20+

My 23 lvl party fight 20 lvl small lizard for minute, doing breaks, topples, 3tier combos like it would be map mid-boss.

Its my beloved serie and I had to stop (a person who killed literally every monster in XCX).
Its RIDDICULUS and super chore.

TheDivision sponges are like one-shot comparing to XC2;

they screwed it up; big monsters , uniques, midbosses etc should have tons of hp. But when ur basic attack is 200-300, tier3 supercombo is 6000 dmg and weakest monster on map has 80.000 HP then something is fcked up hard;(

On low lvls I managed it by having +30% dmg and +20 str;

I cant it play anymore - every weak monster is like boss fight. Going to finish for the story later ot but the whole XC1/XCX concept of fight enjoyment is gone.
I'm lv 24, fighting enemies between 25-27 and killing them before I can even max my lv4 special.

The game has a ton of systems that can affect damage output, and you need to take advantage of all of them to some degree. Core chips, assist cores, bond links, drivers equipment, skill upgrading, food buffs, element weaknesses, driver combos, etc.

If you're not doing enough damage have a look at your setup and make sure you're not missing anything that could help.

Anyway, finished chapter 3 a few hours back, amazing end. All 3 chapters so far have finished on a high note, I hope the rest of them follow suit.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
10h in Im really liking it so far. Im getting used to combat system but there still some of the mechanics I still don't fully understand but the game doing very good job trying teach me those mechanics.

mikemandey

Tried both Japanese and English VA.. I usually pick the former in JRPG but in this case surprisingly I like the latter more.

And

Man...the cutscene after meeting
Aegis
is so intense.. It's one of the best opening scenes in recent years IMO

ajim

Tried both Japanese and English VA.. I usually pick the former in JRPG but in this case surprisingly I like the latter more.

And

Man...the cutscene after meeting
Aegis
is so intense.. It's one of the best opening scenes in recent years IMO
I loved the English va of the original xenoblade but can't get into this, so sticking to Japanese. Only problem is the taunts and after battle banter isn't translated into subtitles so I have no idea if anyone is dropping shit as cool as its 'its reyn time!' or whatever

And agree that intro was intense and bad ass.

AddiF

Swiss person here.

Just came off the phone with the biggest retailer - they didn't get a single copy of the game.

They said first they expect to get games late always now due to new policy of leaks, but "their source at Nintendo told them it's also to capture sales on digital e-shop to get bigger margins first for those that simply cannot wait"

Had to cancel and pay 10 bucks more going digital. 10 bucks dude.

It's the only weekend for weeks I can play a game either. Damn u Nintendo! Really grinds my gears.

Edit
:

Paid 79.90.

If it makes you feel any better, games here (Iceland) tend to cost from 50-100 dollars. My wallet weeps everytime I buy a game and Switch has been causing cobwebs in my poor, poor wallet.

ubiblu

Garanti Plain is absurdly ugly. Those ps1 textures in the distance, even in docked mode is crazy bad. I’ve seen heaps of people defending the artstyle, but no. Super disappointing, especially in handheld.

Really enjoyable game so far save the crappy visuals. DQXI still takes the cake for 2017, but it might just have some serious competition here.

czk51

I'm on chapter 3 and picked up a side quest, now my entire quest log is empty. I don't know how but got offered to revert back to my main story quest, but log is still blank. Anyone else had this problem?

Malcolm9

I've read alot of people aren't happy with the visuals in handheld mode, is it really that bad? Some are saying it's a night & day difference from when it's running in docked mode.

It's a noticable difference, yes. It's still pretty, but ... noticable lower res.

On the topic of voice acting: I love Pyra's good morning-shout out. "Rise and shine!" She sounds so cheerful ❤

I'm on chapter 3 and picked up a side quest, now my entire quest log is empty. I don't know how but got offered to revert back to my main story quest, but log is still blank. Anyone else had this problem?

Go into the mission and look at the sorting. Put it so you see 'all'. Also you have to activate a quest to get a marker atop the screen.

mikemandey

I loved the English va of the original xenoblade but can't get into this, so sticking to Japanese. Only problem is the taunts and after battle banter isn't translated into subtitles so I have no idea if anyone is dropping shit as cool as its 'its reyn time!' or whatever

And agree that intro was intense and bad ass.

As intense as the fight between
Zanza
and
Meyneth
from the first game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-i-88PWfXs

Edit: OSTs on both scenes made them even better

RPGCrazied

1 more day.... ahhh, the wait is killing me! Question about the day/night cycle, can you change it via menu like first game or do you have to visit somewhere and do it like in XCX?

royox

I've read alot of people aren't happy with the visuals in handheld mode, is it really that bad? Some are saying it's a night & day difference from when it's running in docked mode.

In open areas it's very VERY blurry and makes it hard to play. In closed areas like dungeons you can't tell the diference.

RobRSG

11 hours in and the game is awesome so far. Every action cutscene my blood boiled - Never thought I would use the feature to re-watch a cutscene in a RPG before. It's amazing.

Zenaku

11 hours in and the game is awesome so far. Every action cutscene my blood boiled - Never thought I would use the feature to re-watch a cutscene in a RPG before. It's amazing.
The original Xenoblade was like that for me, tons of scenes with such great choreography and camerawork I just loved watching them over and over. X only had a few scenes like that, but Xenoblade 2 has those scenes in troves.

kingbean

This game looks awful on my 4k tv. I mean worse than in portable mode. It's like there is some kinda sharpening filter on the game that really makes the game look gritty. I kinda wish they'd let us turn that off. I'd rather the image be soft than look like a compressed FMV from a sega cd.

RPGCrazied

Can you hide any of the UI? It looks so large, I get it because of handheld mode, but on TV probably seems it gets in the way.

czk51

Go into the mission and look at the sorting. Put it so you see 'all'. Also you have to activate a quest to get a marker atop the screen.

ahh there it is. I did have a quick look at sort but initially it still didn't show anything. Many thanks.

Top Bottom