• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

Fantomex

Yep. My wife is there now for last minute birthday gifts and the guy was just bringing out the box. Says they'll all be gone within 30 minutes.

Crazy.

Do love the new game. Major props to Toys for Bob for putting so much into this sequel - much improved visuals, difficulty levels, etc.

Now if they'd just include Mail Order Monsters as an unlockable minigame I'll be set.

Oh no! Did wave 2 include Thumpback? Thumpback's my boy I don't want to miss out on him.

bumpkin

Crud... Bummer to hear about the wave 2 figures pretty much being all gone within an hour of stores opening. If I had realized that was going to be the case, I'd have hit my local TRU first thing before I headed into work. Oh well.

Sora_N

Too bad Canada doesn't have Wave 2. :( Not that I could go anyways...got work.

Anyone have a list of the chars?

On TRU.com

See some new stuff listed?
Skylanders Giants: Triple Toy Packs -Sprocket, Sonic Boom 2, Stump Smash 2
Singles: Light Core Jet Vac, Sprocket, Flashwing, Gill Grunt 2, Sonic Boom 2, Hex 2.

None are in stock of course...

At its core, the game is basically a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. And it's actually pretty good at it. It's got secret areas, loot, collectibles, and the level design is solid. Aside from that, the specific appeal is:

1) Local Co-op! This is HUGE for a lot of people. Games with local co-op and RPG-like progression are rare nowadays, so any game that has this type of gameplay and has good, solid gameplay (which Skylanders does) is bound to attract an audience
2) Kid-friendly. The graphics and pacing of the game are meant to appeal to kids, without alienating adults. Thus, Nintendo-like, the game can be enjoyed by any age group that doesn't mind slightly cartoony presentation.
3) The Pokemon effect. Skylanders has the same catch-em-all/play your favorites appeal that Pokemon does. Some people want to collect every one, some only want to play the ones that "look cool". The game lets you do both.
4) "Physical DLC" is a good way to soften the blow. I do think that the figures are overpriced, and I think it's cheap how you NEED to buy every single one to get 100% in the game, psycologically getting a physical object makes it a little easier to swallow. Unlike Pokemon, you can do things with your collection outside of the game. You can display them, use them like regular action figures, or use them in the web game. And while your SFxTekken character may not work when the servers go off-line, I'll always be able to use my Camo.

I don't think the figures are that overpriced. I went in store shopping for the first time in years and I couldn't believe some of the prices for cheap and poorly made toys. It was outrageous. I think Skylanders are priced just fine.

Lan_97

So it looks like Lightcore versions of Series 2 figures don't get Wow Pow abilities (or path switching), but normal Series 2 figures will.

I really liked the first game because it was fun and a good value at $8 per figure. But they are really pushing it with the price increases, redundant bundling between console/handheld, forcing Series 2 figures in every bundle, and now differentiating Lightcore/Series2 so that you need to buy both to have access to all the powers.

ElNino

So it looks like Lightcore versions of Series 2 figures don't get Wow Pow abilities (or path switching), but normal Series 2 figures will.

I really liked the first game because it was fun and a good value at $8 per figure. But they are really pushing it with the price increases, redundant bundling between console/handheld, forcing Series 2 figures in every bundle, and now differentiating Lightcore/Series2 so that you need to buy both to have access to all the powers.
They are getting close to overdoing it for me as well, but in the end I'll still buy (most of) them as my son absolutely loves the series and he has gotten tons of use out of the first game and characters. I'm fortunate that I can afford to get him as many guys as he wants, and I spend way more money on myself for crap that I use less than he does with Skylanders, so I doesn't bother me too much.

This morning was funny as my wife let him bring his Giants characters to school to show his friends (and then my wife took them home after drop off) and she said that there were lots kids hanging around him to check them out. He told them all that he is allowed to have the characters but that he has to wait until his birthday (mid-December) to play the game... but I don't know if I can last holding it back for him for that long. ;-)

Sora_N

That's just WTF to me, but path-switching doesn't matter to me. I might pick up Whirlwind S2 because I like her, and I wouldn't mind path-switching on her at all. I'd easily choose LCs over regular, they just look cooler to me.

So ALL Lightcore figures don't have the path-switching or just the Series 1 characters that are LCs? Like I said, doesn't matter THAT much to me, but seems like a dick move in the end.

For what it is worth, I did get an email today from the Toys R Us Rewards Club saying that they would have the new Skylanders GIants stuff TODAY, Yep, MONDAY.

Here is the email!

Hot Toy Alert! NEW Skylanders Giants Characters in Stores Monday!
Available when stores open on Monday!

Basically it says be one of the first there to get the new Skylanders Figures, Quantities Limited. So they did get more stock today.

Katzii

Sweet, I just went on the Toys R Us website and they had the Legendary three pack and Bouncer available. Have ordered them. My poor wallet.

Hoping to be able to trade in some older and duplicate figures towards the Lightcores!

Bulk_Rate

My son got the 3DS version yesterday. He is as happy as can be, although to me it seems as if the frame rate is noticeably worse than the first 3DS Skylanders game, which he also has.

I'm glad it's Toys R Us that got the new figures in so I could take advantage of their buy 1, get 1 40% off deal going on but my wallet is still in shambles.

Picked up Hot Head, Lightcore Jet-Vac, Hex 2, Sprocket, Flashwing, and Legendary Bouncer today. May go back for the rest of the 2s like Stump Smash and Double Trouble even though I told myself I wouldn't. EFF

i was just in walmart during my lunch break, they have tons of stuff still. i havnt bought the new game yet, might have to wait till xmas time and give it to my daughter. i think the only new character so far that i want is fright rider, i like the undead ones

TheGrue

Got all the new characters from Wave 1 at Target yesterday. Went to two TRU stores in the Denver area to get the Wave 2 new characters and they had already sold out of them (they said they only got 4 of each at each store).

I'm not sure I'm going to bother getting any of the light core or reposes from the first series characters. Also, I will only get either a light core version of the new characters or the non-light core, but nit both. I'm actually pretty disappointed that the majority of this year's figures are just rehashes of the old ones. Only 16 new characters total is pretty disappointing. I was pretty hyped about Skylanders last year and bought all the characters (and even the legendaries), but I think they really went overboard with alternate versions of old characters this time and they won't be getting as much of my money.

bumpkin

Sweet, I just went on the Toys R Us website and they had the Legendary three pack and Bouncer available. Have ordered them. My poor wallet.

Hoping to be able to trade in some older and duplicate figures towards the Lightcores!
I don't know if it varies from store to store, but my local GameStop told me I was shit outta luck on trading in old figures. The assistant manager said the trade-in on them didn't take off the way GS hoped, so it was discontinued. They aren't taking the first game or the portals either.

bodine1231

Struck out at TRU today but wandered into Gamestop and found this still on the shelf. Apparently this is a very rare variant 'rock' version of Zook. Only question is should I eBay it now or hold onto it and sell later. Thoughts?

C2D3C168-5F6B-4855-B137-E89490F4D79C-7203-00000E1C7DBAFB25.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
So okay, the 3DS version is okay but I think it was a poor choice for my introduction to the series. I hate how you can only swap in characters at one location in the game whereas in the other versions it seems you can swap them in/out pretty much anytime?

Well, I'll toy around with it some more and hope I enjoy the Wii U version more.

Anyway here's all the ones I have so far (all Skylanders Giants versions when duplicates are concerned):

Tree Rex
Shroomboom
LC Eruptor
LC Prism Break
Crusher
Terrafin
Punch Pop Fizz
Chop Chop
Cynder
Golden Dragonfire Cannon
LC Drobot
Swarm

figs are a bit pricey so I'm going to be very choosey from here on-out. I have no intention of collecting each one :p I'm definitely going to get a Spyro, other than that I'm undecided

Can anyone tell me why some of our figures have a foil name badge in the package along with foil cards? Are they chase packaging it something?

I just got into Skylanders (like yesterday) and I am trying to gather up what information I can to figure out my plan going forward buying the little guys. Please correct any misinformation that I seem to have fallen upon so that I can better understand.

Series 1 = The originals. There is 32 of these (and various color alternatives) and they all feature green colored bases.

question about this: Is Dark Spyro a color alternate or considered a "unique" character.

Series 2 = Labeled with "Giants" packaging. 24 "reposes" and 8 "new" characters. All have orange colored bases.

The 8 new characters are limited to use with the Skylanders Giants game, and will not work with the original.

The 24 reposed characters work with BOTH the original and Giants version of the game, and if used in Giants, feature a Wow Pow ability and the ability to switch between 2 upgrade paths, this being the reason someone would want to re-buy their favorites.

Giants = 8 "new" characters. All have orange colored bases. Only work in the new Skylanders Giants.

Lightcore = 4 "new" characters and 4 "repose" characters. All feature orange colored bases and have a "light up" element to them that makes them look cool when placed on the Portal of Power.

Much like the Series 2, the new characters can only be used in Giants, and the repose characters work in the original.

question: Do the Lightcore repose characters feature their Wow pow abilities, and offer up the ability to switch between upgrade paths like their Series 2 repose counterparts?

Final question: do color alternates (gold, silver, legendary, paint differences, etc) offer different looking characters in game, or are they strictly repaints of the figure itself, and have no effect on the game characters?

Zing

Banned
Can anyone tell me why some of our figures have a foil name badge in the package along with foil cards? Are they chase packaging it something?
Lightcore figures have this.

I noticed that every figure other than Wham Shell was available in a three pack last time. If they have the same plan this time, I may be convinced to snag the series 2 figures. I really like what they have done with them, the way they appear to have the upgrades from the first game. I don't think the gameplay difference is worth it, especially if I have to start them from scratch. They really should have bad an import function. I'd be dropping the $200+ to buy all series 2 if they had.

I've bought every three pack so far just in case. There is no reason not to buy everything since Walmart has a 90 day return policy.

Zing

Banned
I just got into Skylanders (like yesterday) and I am trying to gather up what information I can to figure out my plan going forward buying the little guys. Please correct any misinformation that I seem to have fallen upon so that I can better understand.

Series 1 = The originals. There is 32 of these (and various color alternatives) and they all feature green colored bases.

question about this: Is Dark Spyro a color alternate or considered a "unique" character.

Series 2 = Labeled with "Giants" packaging. 24 "reposes" and 8 "new" characters. All have orange colored bases.

The 8 new characters are limited to use with the Skylanders Giants game, and will not work with the original.

The 24 reposed characters work with BOTH the original and Giants version of the game, and if used in Giants, feature a Wow Pow ability and the ability to switch between 2 upgrade paths, this being the reason someone would want to re-buy their favorites.

Giants = 8 "new" characters. All have orange colored bases. Only work in the new Skylanders Giants.

Lightcore = 4 "new" characters and 4 "repose" characters. All feature orange colored bases and have a "light up" element to them that makes them look cool when placed on the Portal of Power.

Much like the Series 2, the new characters can only be used in Giants, and the repose characters work in the original.

question: Do the Lightcore repose characters feature their Wow pow abilities, and offer up the ability to switch between upgrade paths like their Series 2 repose counterparts?

Final question: do color alternates (gold, silver, legendary, paint differences, etc) offer different looking characters in game, or are they strictly repaints of the figure itself, and have no effect on the game characters?

Series 1 is comprised of 32 characters with five additional variants (four legendaries and Dark Spyro). The variants appear unique in-game, but are not part of the "collection".

I haven't tested or researched if the series 2 figures work in the first game. The packaging clearly states they are not compatible, but that may just be their way of saying "it works, but if it doesn't work, don't call us".

Lightcore figures do not have "wow pow", nor the ability to dynamically change upgrade paths. These are limited strictly to series 2 figures.

Color alternates only look different in-game if they have a slightly different name. Figures with the same name but different physical look will look and play identically to the regular figure.

Katzii

I don't know if it varies from store to store, but my local GameStop told me I was shit outta luck on trading in old figures. The assistant manager said the trade-in on them didn't take off the way GS hoped, so it was discontinued. They aren't taking the first game or the portals either.

Is that Gamestop UK or US?

I know there are still shops here in the UK taking trade-ins, but I want to know which so I can get some cash.

Sora_N

Light Cores work in the first game. My Drobot worked just fine. S2 should work on the first game as long as the characters are not new.

tw1164

Should I be worrying about a supply issue this Christmas? I shopped early last year got missed some great skylander sales.

Sora_N

Should I be worrying about a supply issue this Christmas? I shopped early last year got missed some great skylander sales.

I think it's hard to tell at this point, but it will probably be a bit less horrible than last year. I did not take chances. I just bought everything from Wave 1, I can always sell them off if I don't want them by Christmas.

Rootbeer

Banned
Are there any pre-giants figures that are worth getting if you are coming in fresh to Giants? And I mean strictly from a gameplay and/or looks POV, not collectibility value.

Krabboss

Are there any pre-giants figures that are worth getting if you are coming in fresh to Giants? And I mean strictly from a gameplay and/or looks POV, not collectibility value.

Skylanders doesn't exactly have amazing gameplay. It's all pretty simple and you're not going to miss much by not having a certain character. With that being said, I played a lot of Bash in the original because he has a rolling attack which lasts a very long time and makes him very fast. It works great for time trials and it's pretty powerful, but again those goals are pretty easy and he's not that important.

I just started playing Drill Sergeant since he has a similar charge attack, but I'm not sure if it's as good as Bash's yet since I haven't levelled him up yet.

Sora_N

Skylanders has always been about "if you like how it looks, then get it" kind of thing to me. Or you can watch the preview videos on Youtube for the chars to see if you like how they play. You don't miss out by not having a particular character, unless you like that character and want to own it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks guys ^__^

Digging it so far, but the adult in me really wishes it has some more, perhaps, warhammer-like charm to the unique values to each figure. But it is what it is!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Most of the good ones seem to be getting Series 2 releases, but my favorites in the first game were Stealth Elf, Drobot, Wham Shell, and Whirlwind.

The local TRU didn't put out any stock until this morning for some reason, so they had absolutely everything because the scalpers already bought out the other TRUs and Targets in the area. I was able to pick up everything I wanted with the Buy 1 Get 1 40% Off deal, to boot. Wouldn't mind finding a Granite Crusher, though. He looks great.

This is an expensive obsession. I may have to sell off one of my silver Spyros to help pay for Giants figures.

Sora_N

Man, I'm not interested in GITD Cynder that much but Granite Crusher looks great, he costs over 2x the retail price though on eBay. Sucks being in Canada, hard for me to buy it at that price when I could buy 2 regular Giants.

Do the LC have splitting paths? I'm bit confused on this. If you cannot change what path do they have?

Did a bit of research I think i am confusing switching paths at will (series 2) and having 2 paths (which all have).

Syriel

Skylanders has always been about "if you like how it looks, then get it" kind of thing to me. Or you can watch the preview videos on Youtube for the chars to see if you like how they play. You don't miss out by not having a particular character, unless you like that character and want to own it.

This. I did my playthru of Giants with Chill simply because I think the character looks cool. When she's not being used for the game, she sits on my desk.

Sora_N

I don't have Giants, but I took my gf's S2 Chop Chop and Cynder because she doesn't care. They work on the first game just fine. Chop Chop and Cynder are some of my fav characters so it's great for me! I like a lot of the characters though.

bumpkin

Is that Gamestop UK or US?

I know there are still shops here in the UK taking trade-ins, but I want to know which so I can get some cash.
US. I was only looking to trade in the first game and old portal, and the guy told me the stuff about not taking figures either as an FYI.

Top Bottom