• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeul

A solid alternative. I'm going to regret finding out about that forum and signing up.

He looks awesome. So curious about how his appearance will change based on his kids' looks.

I'm curious how that'll turn out too. Even though he'll probably end up looking the same as he does here in my game, I'd really like to see other people post shots of their Ryder family when we finally get to play.

This is a good out of context post.

Hey, if I'm going to make an out of context post, it'll be about our space dad you can guarantee. (Also I just got off of work so it's the first time I'm seeing them lol).

Ralemont

not me
I just don't see why it matters whether or not she looks odd. This is probably going to be a 60-hour game: take ten minutes to tweak her jawline a bit in the CC or whatever.

Tovarisc

It's been a sentiment that has been almost literally echoed (as in, people literally repeating "she looks odd, but I can't quite put my finger on it") ever since that infamous GIF. I liken it to the "The Last of Us's ending was so good we don't need a sequel!" thing that went around for so long. It's as if it's something that somehow gets stuck in the zeitgeist.

Like, seriously. She's based on a real life person. And it's not as if this is somehow their first walk in the park. What they did with this character they've being doing for the past decade. If you think she looks odd, then that's telling me you think the person in real life looks odd, which is kind of ridiculous given that we're talking about a professional model.

Based on who tho? Name that floated around some time ago showed woman who looks nothing like FemRyder.

prag16

Banned
I just don't see why it matters whether or not she looks odd. This is probably going to be a 60-hour game: take ten minutes to tweak her jawline a bit in the CC or whatever.

If they follow the standard set in the trilogy, you won't be able to tweak the default faces. I hope that's no longer the case here, but not sure if we can take that for granted. I think you could in DA:I, but DA:I iirc was purely character-creator driven with no pre-scanned 'model' default.

Paging shinobi.

DevilDog

People here seriously underestimate the amount of work and talent needed to port a real life person into a computer programm. Especially when your team is new to the engine.

So much can go wrong it's not even funny, it's perfectly logical to assume that BioWare has fucked something up, or cut corners somewhere.

Although this can be attributed to the fact that we're getting dangerously close to the uncanny valley.

Great screenshots, I love our dad!!! He's so cool.

Getting closer to that OT title.

Based on who tho? Name that floated around some time ago showed woman who looks nothing like FemRyder.

The-Accident-Movie-Poster-2.jpg

I think it looks exactly like her.

7d2f7ca22a99564

086bccdc0e73cfd

This one shows off the neck-jaw ratio pretty well.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I´m fully aware that she´s based on a real person and that person looks great.
Its not so much "how" she looks but how she is technically presented I think, as the first two picture which might not be in engine look just fine and the 1 or 2 times where we saw her in engine she looked odd.

I agree it doesnt matter too much but there´s also barely anything shown in those pictures and I wanted not only praise the things they show but also point something out that I feel like is a flaw.

Also, yes I know that Bioware´s character art is lacking but that doesnt mean they should be immune to critic.

Edit: I posted without double checking if someone else posted in the meantime, so now there are actually pictures of her.

prag16

Banned
I think it looks exactly like her.

I'm not one of the people complaining about the face. But "exactly" is a massive stretch. I see a resemblance. But nothing close to the Shepard/Vanderloo likeness (or even Miranda/Strahovski).

It may be the 'worst' human face we've seen in the game so far; they definitely butchered Ms. Rossi to some degree. But I'm fine with the face. It's not causing me angst like some here.

I'm not sure if people are fooled by the makeup/hair framing the face, but they look (in terms of the basic proportions that make up the face) EXACTLY alike to me.

abW4kUg.png

ZQxxPGh.jpg

That's basically the best picture in terms of directly comparing their features I could find, but you can make the comparison for yourself.

Same eyebrows, same jawline, same mouth-shape, same nose, same distance between eyes.

Again, I think people underestimate how much of a difference no-makeup look vs professional photoshoot look can make.

prag16

Banned
I'm sorry to hear about your agnosia, but the fact remains that she's the face model, so to say that they "don't look alike, not even close" is patently ridiculous.
There's a resemblance. But like Yvonne Strahovski with Miranda something seems to have been lost in translation. (Probably even moreso here than with Miranda.)

Tovarisc

I'm sorry to hear about your agnosia, but the fact remains that she's the face model, so to say that they "don't look alike, not even close" is patently ridiculous.

FemRyder...
  • Shape of eyes is different and more far apart, they may seem more far apart becayse they are also quite... big
  • Nose is few "sizes" bigger
  • Mouth is noticeably wider and lips are full of botox or similar filler
  • Even general shape of face isn't there, rounder face with "flatter ears"
When I saw Miranda in-game I instantly thought "Did they use Yvonne Strahovski?" and found out they actually did. Even when it isn't 1:1 replication there is a lot of Yvonne in Miranda's face. With FemRyder I have no idea who I'm looking at and even looking at her and woman she is allegedly based on I just don't see it.

They don't look alike, not even close.

IMO they clearly have the same bone and facial structure, her actual picture is overexposed so you can't see wrinkles etc. also has makeup.

VanderShep looked great but he has strong, very well defined features and no makeup or anything so he looked closer to any photo of the model you can look at.

I think FemRyder doesn't look exactly like Rossi because lighting, makeup and the in-game model having a hairstyle different from her photos (can't find her with a ponytail) but it's the same face.

FemRyder...
  • Shape of eyes is different and more far apart, they may seem more far apart becayse they are also quite... big
When I saw Miranda in-game I instantly thought "Did they use Yvonne Strahovski?" and found out they actually did. Even when it isn't 1:1 replication there is a lot of Yvonne in Miranda's face. With FemRyder I have no idea who I'm looking at and even looking at her and woman she is allegedly based on I just don't see it.

The picture itself is smaller than Sara Ryder one. And the ears look literally exactly the same.

Also, did you perchance watch Chuck? It's far easier picking up on the quirks of what is already a very particular face if you've been watching it for hours over the course of multiple years.

Besides, what the hell am I even doing here arguing this? They literally scan these people. With like, a computer.

prag16

Banned
FemRyder...

Nah, I disagree with every bullet point except for the nose possibly seeming a little too big. There's enough resemblance that it's believable as the same person when you account for hairstyle, makeup, lighting, angle, etc.

Heckler may be overstating the similarity, but you're definitely overstating the difference.

Daemul

Holy shit, Bioware botched properly translating that models face ingame. RIP.

They got Vanderloo and Luciano Costa spot on though.

prag16

Banned
They got Vanderloo spot on though.

We're all spoiled by how spot on the job they did translating Vanderloo into the in-game Shepard was.

For as good a job Until Dawn did with Hayden Panetierre, the Mr. Robot guy, and the psychiatrist, Sheploo still looks more authentic (minus obvious deficiencies in lighting/animation vs. the more technically advanced Until Dawn).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's not as good as Shepard, but I can see some resemblances... I think it's mostly the eyes, makeup and hairstyle that make it difficult to compare.

Tovarisc

Nah, I disagree with every bullet point except for the nose possibly seeming a little too big. There's enough resemblance that it's believable as the same person when you account for hairstyle, makeup, lighting, angle, etc.

Heckler may be overstating the similarity, but you're definitely overstating the difference.

It seems like overstatement because I pick face apart, but those are actual differences between FemRyder and picture of face model. Just look at picture Officer.Sanchez posted, in that they are closer to each other while most if not all differences I said still are visible.

In my opinion BW did poor job with translating her face into FemRyder, feel free to disagree :)

At the end my biggest issue with FemRyder is that in her initial reveal she somehow looked better model wise. Lightning? Better skin shaders? She just looks... off and flat in later shown gameplay,

Phew, much fuss lol. Sara's face was tweaked after scanning. It's not a 1:1 translation. I think some folks aren't happy she's not as idyllic or something.

Whatever. The point of the matter wasn't how faithfully we think they adapted her face into the game. The original argument was that the face somehow looks "odd" even though it's still at the very least based on an actual scan of an actual human face. And not even by your description of the supposed differences between the two can we begin to claim that they somehow morphed her face into an inhuman farce of a person.

Phew, much fuss lol. Sara's face was tweaked after scanning. It's not a 1:1 translation. I think some folks aren't happy she's not as idyllic or something.

Oh, ok. I genuinely don't see it. I still can't believe they fiddled with any of the overall proportions did they?

giphy.gif

About tweaking though, will be able to tweak the defaults this time (unlike the trilogy)?

You have to imagine that these people have 5 years to make a character look as good as possible in their eyes. Such a span of time allows for a ton of fine-tuning.

That, or it's a case of "Make her looks more normal", and they go ahead at make 12 slight variations, and pick the one that "feels" right.

Yeul

This is the issue here. I keep seeing people photoshop her face to look "better" and by better of course they mean conventionally attractive. She looks like a person and people aren't 100% symmetrical. I'm obviously going to play a custom version of her, but she is just fine.

Given the sheer divisiveness of the topic I don't think you're going to see (most of) the complaints go away until the day the EA trial starts and people get a handle of the character creator.

DevilDog

I think some folks aren't happy she's not as idyllic or something.
I think this is what Bioware is going for. They're trying to make everyone not perfect, this is why the asari aren't godesses or why every human character doesn't look like a fake-celebrity.

Not sure how I feel about this. Pulling something like this off is much harder than pulling the OT characters. We will see.

Tovarisc

Looks male to me, think female krogan stances are slightly different... though admittedly there's only one comparison point. I'd assume differences are just because of updated models.

If only we had long series of pictures forming illusion of motion and maybe some audio to go with it... :b

Hazarding a guess and saying it's female.

This is the pic of Nakmor Kesh (Female), Superintendent of the Nexus. The only differentiating thing I see between the recent screenshot and this image is the facial makeup markings.

Maybe they changed her design recently or it could be an entirely different female Krogan. Either way I don't think it's male.

But I agree, it would be nice to have more tangible footage so we don't have to bleed our eyes out debating who is who.

Your kidding right? I can't tell.

The exact same nose, same jawline and eyebrows. Similar lips (even though she's forcing a smile for the camera). Sara's eyes are bigger but they share the same shape.

So yeah I think they're similar if I have to judge one girl without makeup in resting/neutral position vs a girl with makeup, forced smile and different light sources.

I'm not kidding :)

The impression I'm getting from all the BioWare devs I follow on twitter is that a lot of people are either beginning to enjoy some well-earned time off or shifting to work on the new IP/next Dragon Age.

Which means this thing should be going gold soon right? How close to launch can they reasonably push until it has to be sent off to be printed on disc, etc?

The people who need to be working on finishing up the game are almost certainly crunching until the very last hours. It's like that with most if not all games. Look up the "90-90 rule".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom