• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
kT9VcPf.png

Really would've liked to see this in the dragon deck tbh

I mean, that's just a made-up card

alternade

Weird rules question

If my opponent has something that increases the cost of spells, like a Sphere of Resistance, and I cast a card with Converge if i can pay an additional color do I reap the benefit?

bigkrev

Just singed up for a Mercadian Masques block sealed event at the GP. Yesss let's open some foil brainstorms.

Protip: Troubled Healer (white common from Prophecy) is completely broken and should be splashed if you open one. It's worse under the current rules (it was ABSURD with damage stacking), but still a complete nightmare to play against

Santiako

Protip: Troubled Healer (white common from Prophecy) is completely broken and should be splashed if you open one. It's worse under the current rules (it was ABSURD with damage stacking), but still a complete nightmare to play against

I'll keep that in mind thanks. It starts in 20 min.

alternade

Overall these decklists are boring. 1-2 decent reprints and a bunch of junk commons and uncommons. I don't get their apprehension to putting playable reprints in these decks. The Wizard one should have 3-4 decent counterspells, no cavern of souls in each deck is a slap in face to EDH players, and having 1 less deck means the new Commander card pool gets even smaller.

The vampire one looks the best value and out of box playability but that's only because the rest are so crap. The freaking cat deck should have had a Sword in it for its equipment subtheme. I think all the decks should have 1-2 chase money cards in it to reward the community but I guess being lazy and creatively bankrupt is easier. Such a letdown for all the hype

jph139

I don't think we know the Atraxa of this set, yet.

I still feel like a dumbass for passing this one up. I'm like - wow, cool card. Not gonna build a four color deck though, sounds dumb.

By the time I realize "WUBG Infect" sounds amazing? $20 card. I'm not spending that!

Yeef

I really wish they didn't foil the commanders. Even double sleeved, the cards tend to curl, so when I put them in my cubes I have to proxy them.

wow that's really underwhelming value wise

Super underwhelming. Most of the includes are both cheap and not actually very good cards. And the dragon deck's manabase is brutal. A deck full of gold and double coloured mana costs and you're stuck with a third of the lands being ETB tapped and most of the rest being basics. Sure, the cards in the deck trend expensive to cast but still.

alternade

Super underwhelming. Most of the includes are both cheap and not actually very good cards. And the dragon deck's manabase is brutal. A deck full of gold and double coloured mana costs and you're stuck with a third of the lands being ETB tapped and most of the rest being basics. Sure, the cards in the deck trend expensive to cast but still.

I am going to an midnight C17 tournament and I feel for whoever chooses the Dragon deck. It looks like it won't start working until turn 6. Would it kill wotc to reprint some untapped duals or any color lands. Mana Confluence and City of Brass should've been in that deck along side some new kind of commander specific dual or ramp spells.

bigkrev

Jason Alt put out a series of tweets describing the issue with reprints
https://twitter.com/JasonEAlt/status/896022970333888515

Basically, there are $10-15 cards that need to be reprinted in these sets, because then they go to $25-30, and both scare Wizards off of reprinting them in these precons again because they are too expensive, and start to price players out of the cards/format. He cites Patriarch's Bidding as a card that is going to be too expensive for casual players, plus is really awkward to reprint in a supplamental booster products (being a tribal only card and having no value outside of casual 60s/EDH). Phyrexian Alter was a $10 that jumped to $30, ect

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2017-decklists

Paper cost is ~$150 a piece, except for Wizards which was $110. How much more value were you expecting?

Most of that value is illusory. The value can generally be split into three categories:
1. New cards (which generally are overpriced at this point in time and will go down some/a lot)
2. Reprint of cards with an OK price. These are basically certainly to drop due to being reprinted.
3. The bulk chaff that makes up the rest of the deck. This adds a decent amount of value just due to the sheer number of cards. The issue often is, and I'd say this is the case here, is that the vast majority of this stuff is, well, bad and not something you really want to play with outside of playing this preconstructed out of the box. As a result you really get no value from them since they'll buylist for basically nothing and you don't want to use them in actual decks you make.

Ondor

Banned

Thanks everyone. I'll download Magic Duels to familiarize myself tonight. I've never heard of booster drafting and that sounds really exciting for when I know the game better. I'll definitely make sure I attend a pre-release event.

How important are older sets of cards? I don't entirely understand the block system. Are Ixalan cards all I'll need to play for the next few years?

ElyrionX

Jason Alt put out a series of tweets describing the issue with reprints
https://twitter.com/JasonEAlt/status/896022970333888515

Basically, there are $10-15 cards that need to be reprinted in these sets, because then they go to $25-30, and both scare Wizards off of reprinting them in these precons again because they are too expensive, and start to price players out of the cards/format. He cites Patriarch's Bidding as a card that is going to be too expensive for casual players, plus is really awkward to reprint in a supplamental booster products (being a tribal only card and having no value outside of casual 60s/EDH). Phyrexian Alter was a $10 that jumped to $30, ect

There's no such thing as pricing players out of a casual format.

Justin

Thanks everyone. I'll download Magic Duels to familiarize myself tonight. I've never heard of booster drafting and that sounds really exciting for when I know the game better. I'll definitely make sure I attend a pre-release event.

How important are older sets of cards? I don't entirely understand the block system. Are Ixalan cards all I'll need to play for the next few years?

Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation are in standard till October 2018 so I would recommend not getting anything older than those if you are interested in standard. Ixalan will be in standard till October 2019.

Drafts are really fun. The draft is a whole seperate game in itself. You dont have to be good at the game to draft. I would say once you understand the basics of how the game is played then you are ready for draft. If you want to see one in action here is one from the most recent pro tour with the current set.
https://youtu.be/j_LAFco1DX4?t=493

Boogiepop

So wait, how hard would it be to get the cat deck up to decent? Like, want to pick it up to do semi-casual Commander with friends who do buy cards here and there, without having to get into the whole picking-up-packs and spending a ton thing. I DO have a moderate number of older cards, stretching from around Judgment looks like (I just remember my first pack having Commander Eesha and thinking it was so awesome to have gotten a legendary creature) up through mid-first time around of Mirrodin. Not sure what I'd be looking for, outside of obviously I'd want to get my Sword of Light and Shadow in there, I'd imagine. (Had a Jareth I was expecting to sub in... but turns out he's already in the deck).
Edit: And a handful of REAL old cards, but I don't think anything actually usable. Like, certainly no dual-lands or anything rattling around, far as I know. Just assorted junk, IIRC.

Ooh, right, are the Incarnations actually considered good? I liked them back in the day, and I do have Brawn and Valor that could in theory go in, if that wouldn't be a bad plan...

So wait, how hard would it be to get the cat deck up to decent? Like, want to pick it up to do semi-casual Commander with friends who do buy cards here and there, without having to get into the whole picking-up-packs and spending a ton thing. I DO have a moderate number of older cards, stretching from around Judgment looks like (I just remember my first pack having Commander Eesha and thinking it was so awesome to have gotten a legendary creature) up through mid-first time around of Mirrodin. Not sure what I'd be looking for, outside of obviously I'd want to get my Sword of Light and Shadow in there, I'd imagine. (Had a Jareth I was expecting to sub in... but turns out he's already in the deck).
Edit: And a handful of REAL old cards, but I don't think anything actually usable. Like, certainly no dual-lands or anything rattling around, far as I know. Just assorted junk, IIRC.

Ooh, right, are the Incarnations actually considered good? I liked them back in the day, and I do have Brawn and Valor that could in theory go in, if that wouldn't be a bad plan...
not much because Ahrabo is kind of a cheesy commander. There's a ton of cheap both money and cmc wise cats and you kinda just want to play all of them and smash people for 5 on turn 2.

It's just not gonna be a deck that's good at doing anything else.

y2dvd

I run Aurelia Voltron and all the swords are an absolute beast. Puresteel Paladin isn't a cat but with a bunch of artifacts and Leonin Shikari out, equiping everything for free and at instant speed is sweet. I would play Stoneforge Mystic and Stonehewer Giant to fetch up equipment along with Open the Armory or Steelshaper's Gift. Sure, these creatures breaks up the tribal lol, but it would make the deck a vast improvement.

hermit7

Going to just get the vampire deck I think and only make some minor upgrades to use as a decent entry level deck to play for fun or when in a group where I don't know anyone.

I am buylisting a ton of stuff that I either am not using or won't use and keep because "some day" I may use it. Seems like a bit of a waste for me. Seems like I have a ton of shit stored away and want to get some return on that.

Justin

Maro said on his podcast that came out today that there has been a revamp of how magic has been made. He said it is the biggest change since he has started working at wizards and the biggest change WOTC has ever made. There will be an article later in the fall when they get closer to the sets that were affected by the changes.

He also called digital next a significant investment in magic's future

kirblar

Maro said on his podcast that came out today that there has been a revamp of how magic has been made. He said it is the biggest change since he has started working at wizards and the biggest change WOTC has ever made. There will be an article later in the fall when they get closer to the sets that were affected by the changes.
(It's Play Design, that team is f'ing huge.)

Having Devs involved at all steps of the process is good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Maro says this literally every year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom