• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does buying condoms have to be such an embarrassing process?

The9BREAKER

Neo Member
917683.jpg

LOL

Try buying a plan b pill. It's just more awkward with her at your side and the cashier looking at you like.... Really bro?

do people just steal condoms when they're not behind glass or some shit wtf

Is this a US thing again? Never saw condoms locked away like liquor.
In fact most supermarkets I've been to in various countries have them on shelfs near the cashier, right next to the candy or something.

Relativ9

Wtf is wrong with the US?!? In my country condoms are sold next to the gum and batteries at the register in any and all grocery and/or convince stores, you just take a pack. It's also sold in the isles next to the razorblades. Why on earth would it be locked behind something? How can the US possibly be so repressed about sex when it simultaneously sexualises everything.

led4lyfe

damn if you think buying rubbers is embarassing imagine how you’ll feel going with your girl to the abortion clinic

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Wtf is wrong with the US?!? In my country condoms are sold next to the gum and batteries at the register in any and all grocery and/or convince stores, you just take a pack. It's also sold in the isles next to the razorblades. Why on earth would it be locked behind something? How can the US possibly be so repressed about sex when it simultaneously sexualises everything.
Razorblades are also locked behind glass. It's so peole don't steal them.

longdi

Banned
I couldn't give a flying fuck what other people think when I buy them. And if I notice a cashier starts to get all weird when she/he notices my rubbers I'll give a quick wink to make them feel even more uncomfortable. One of life's little pleasures.
That's what i do too, granted the cashier gotta look reasonable. A wink and a wry smile.

protonion

I buy them at sex shops.

It is the most "innocent" product in there. Between the people going for gadgets and stuff, it feels like I am getting gum.

Jezan

Don't be immature OP, no one cares if you are going to have sex or not, actually most people would be jealous.

Funny story: One time I was with a friend and he had to leave for a sexy night but he needed condoms, I decided to go with him to the pharmacy, it was like 11pm so the employees were gossiping together and stuff, mind you it was near the glass that had the condoms, he asks where the condoms are and the employee asked him which ones, and probably my friend ran out of guts and he asked the employee: "which ones do you recommend?" I burst out laughing and so were the other employees while the one attending him and my friend were looking at each other asking themselves regretting probably every decision that lead them to that point in time. The employee looks at me and says: "I don't know" and I told him they were not for me, lol, so I just told him to get ___brand to save my friend from further embarrassment.

So don't worry OP, most people will forget after you are not in their line of sight.

Fox Mulder

Poor people steal shit like razors, deodorant, and apparently condoms as these get locked up in some store chains.

SpartanN92

Banned

America: the "first world" country where condoms are locked inside security cabinets.

All these people taking shots at America thinking it’s a cultural problem and not simply a shoplifting problem I bet your country still uses Sheep intestines for condoms and you still haven’t figured out to remove them from the sheep first.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Wait until you show up at the checkout with motor oil, condoms and vasoline.

Seriously though dont be such a snowflake. You made it weird and embarassing yourself.

Hell, next time they are opening the cabinet for you and ask you what ones, ask them what they recommend!

Im quite happy with the ansell skyn series of weenie beenies.

Heath V

America: the "first world" country where condoms are locked inside security cabinets.

Trust me that's not normal and yes there are ghettos here. I live in an upscale area and the liquor is locked up so that speaks volumes. There are thieves wherever you go in this world unfortunately.

Heath V

All these people taking shots at America thinking it’s a cultural problem and not simply a shoplifting problem I bet your country still uses Sheep intestines for condoms and you still haven’t figured out to remove them from the sheep first.

I'm used to this site and other left-leaning sites taking shots at America, it's nothing new unfortunately.

And you're exactly right, shoplifting is not exclusive to America.

SegaShack

OP go to a store that doesn’t lock them up. It sounds like it’s your first time buying them. That was the only time I ever felt embarassed then i realized nobody cares.

LordRaptor

I'm used to this site and other left-leaning sites taking shots at America, it's nothing new unfortunately.

Thats the first world democracy with an explciit seperation of church and state where religious fundamentalist lobbyists successfully manage to prevent sexual education being taught in schools, yeah?

This reminds me of a scene called "Trojan Gauntlet" from the 1987 movie "Amazon women on the moon". Lol. I think is titled "Titan Man" on Youtube.

Susurrus

look, if you can't handle buying them in person, just order them online. The clerks were just fucking with you because they sensed shyness, but when it really comes down to it, you get to have sex while they're working a shitty dead end job.

I was told it would be embarrassing. First time I bought them I didn't give a fuck, just grabbed a box and went on my way. Never understood embarrassment from buying condoms. Are people embarrassed that people know they're getting laid

deefol

The only time I ever felt weird buying condoms was when I was 16 buying condoms, Redbull, and Caffeine pills. I got weird looks.

This

Buying condoms when i was 16 was the most awkward shopping experience i've ever had

Guy at checkout shouted at me in front of 10+ people and loudly said I'm too young to buy condoms, but when I said I was 16 he reluctantly gave them to me

tearsofash

Is this a serious thread? Buying condoms is not a big deal. Adults have sex. The clerks don't care. You shouldn't care.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
They give so many condoms away for free where I live no one I know has to buy them ever.

BANGS

Banned
Buying condoms here is just like buying anything else. Take it off the shelf. Not sure why they lock them up by you lol

They don't have self service checkouts?

I was with a girl on the weekend and she had to get the morning after pill Monday morning, that would be more embarrassing

Top Bottom