• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One Trailer #2

Soltype

MemorableGreatKouprey-size_restricted.gif

Love Spielberg, but not feeling this.

lol. Tracer and Chun? I wish they went with Widow and Cammy ;)
Still, this movie should be worth watching, just to see all the pop culture references

giphy.gif

BrettWeir

One of my favorite books. Really looking forward to this, even though I know it won't live up to my hype level.

Nephtis

Dude. There's a Gundam.

This has all the cameos. All of them. How in the world did they get the clearance for both Marvel and DC characters? In the same movie!! And not to mention all the games... And anime. Holy crap.

This is what Scott Pilgrim should have been like. The only reason I liked that movie is because it had a Xenogears reference. I don't care if Spielberg is selling out - throw all of references and cameos at me, bro. I will probably see the movie at theaters multiple times just for that alone, regardless of how good the plot is.

Edit: I would've totally gotten a DeLorean too as my car. Hot damn.
Edit 2: I just noticed the OG Batmobile lmao
Ediit3: Ok, these edits are gonna be endless. I just noticed Akuma and I loved seeing TMNT and Battletoads together. But... Did I just see a Sword Art Online reference too?!

Lokimaru

Any notable character the author could throw in. It's very Big Bang Theory in the cargo cult way it approaches nerd culture.

It's a giant open source MMO that took over the INTERNET and EVERY IP in history was Ported to it. What fuck did you expect to see? That's not Chun-li but and Avator wearing a Chun-Li skin she won in a Streetfighter tourniment. If I were in the OASIS i'd bust my Ass to try and get my hands on The Normandy 2 and and a hover converted version of The Road Buster from Riding Bean with KITT from the 2008 show installed cause that's the kinda shit I like. Let's your Geek flag fly say I.

BANGS

Banned
This movie looks like the most expensive garbage one could possible imagine lmfao

All those licencing fees are gonna flop the shit out of this...

Seraphym

Loved the book, and whilst I am lowering my expectations for the film, love the references that are in the trailer.
Is it a single movie?

It's a giant open source MMO that took over the INTERNET and EVERY IP in history was Ported to it. What fuck did you expect to see? That's not Chun-li but and Avator wearing a Chun-Li skin she won in a Streetfighter tourniment. If I were in the OASIS i'd bust my Ass to try and get my hands on The Normandy 2 and and a hover converted version of The Road Buster from Riding Bean with KITT from the 2008 show installed cause that's the kinda shit I like. Let's your Geek flag fly say I.

This doesn't negate what I said, though. There's a lot of reverence without understanding present in RPO and much of the rest of Cline's writing (including the unintentionally hilarious poetry).

Lokimaru

This doesn't negate what I said, though. There's a lot of reverence without understanding present in RPO and much of the rest of Cline's writing (including the unintentionally hilarious poetry).

Yeah but most of the time he's explain things for people who don't know what those things are from the protags point of view. I wish other books did that. I still have only a vague clue of what Duracrete or Plastisteel are even though every Star Wars book talks about them liked you should just know what they are already. Sometimes you gotta explain shit. I had know idea phone freaking was even possible before I read RPO.

t-storm

When I saw the first trailer on the big screen in front of Blade Runner 2049, I was meh.

Still feel that way after this trailer. I’ll wait for the Netflix release.

Tumle

So VRchat the book/movie? Lol

Blam

So VRchat the book/movie? Lol

Yes in a sense. VRChat is just the beginning of this as people have imported models all the way from Master Chief, to Snake, to Parapa the Rapper, to the Pink Panther.

Just about anything has been imported in, and if it hasn't someones doing it. VRChat doesn't have the gamemode stuff in place but soon it will.

Tumle

Yes in a sense. VRChat is just the beginning of this as people have imported models all the way from Master Chief, to Snake, to Parapa the Rapper, to the Pink Panther.

Just about anything has been imported in, and if it hasn't someones doing it. VRChat doesn't have the gamemode stuff in place but soon it will.
Yea after watching the trailer I understand where they got the idea for VRchat😊
Also isn’t it up to the community to make spaces with game like integrations in VRchat? since you are able to import spaces from unity via there sdk..I’m a little curious as how much code you can bring over into VRchat and how codebel it is😊

Blam

Yea after watching the trailer I understand where they got the idea for VRchat��
Also isn't it up to the community to make spaces with game like integrations in VRchat? since you are able to import spaces from unity via there sdk..I'm a little curious as how much code you can bring over into VRchat and how codebel it is��

Yes nearly all the worlds are done by the community. You're able to do quite a bit with the spaces. But for now the scripting is off, since they want to make sure malicious stuff is not possible. But they are enabling again some time soon.

For now you can still do a bit with the current stuff they've let you add to the worlds. The idea for vrchat wasn't only because of ready player one. As it's a pretty unoriginal idea.

Tumle

Yes nearly all the worlds are done by the community. You're able to do quite a bit with the spaces. But for now the scripting is off, since they want to make sure malicious stuff is not possible. But they are enabling again some time soon.

For now you can still do a bit with the current stuff they've let you add to the worlds. The idea for vrchat wasn't only because of ready player one. As it's a pretty unoriginal idea.
Ok thanks for the reply😊 yea I know it’s just that the movie reminds me of VRchat.. reminds me of the day I played a couple of rounds of bowling with Peter griffin(he could do the voice too) and a cow :p
Looking forward to the movie even if I haven’t read the book😊

Blam

Ok thanks for the reply�� yea I know it's just that the movie reminds me of VRchat.. reminds me of the day I played a couple of rounds of bowling with Peter griffin(he could do the voice too) and a cow :p
Looking forward to the movie even if I haven't read the book��

Just yesterday I won a TDM as the guys from King of the Hill. You can already do so much, and I can't wait to do much more in VRChat, and frankly just playing it makes me more hyped for the future of VR.

Tumle

Just yesterday I won a TDM as the guys from King of the Hill. You can already do so much, and I can't wait to do much more in VRChat, and frankly just playing it makes me more hyped for the future of VR.
Hahaha nice😊

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
just because the book was mediocre doesn't mean the movie will be..

The Godfather is also seen as being a mediocre book, but its an all time great movie

jufonuk

not tag worthy
On point. Quite possibly the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read. I legitimately question the critical faculties of anyone who espouses it.

I remember liking the book but I cannot remember the plot points.

TBH I think snow crash is a lot lot better

On point. Quite possibly the worst book I've ever had the misfortune to read. I legitimately question the critical faculties of anyone who espouses it.

Agreed. Chock full of cliches, contrivances and we get it...he liked the 80's. If you have time, listen to the podcast at http://372pages.com/ by Mike Nelson from MST3k fame, as he and a colleague rip the book to shreds, it's great :)

Kadayi

Banned
Agreed. Chock full of cliches, contrivances and we get it...he liked the 80's. If you have time, listen to the podcast at http://372pages.com/ by Mike Nelson from MST3k fame, as he and a colleague rip the book to shreds, it's great :)

Awesome. I shall give those a listen. People shitting on RPO in an amusing fashion is at least some satisfaction for having put myself through the ordeal of reading it.

I assume you've already listened to the I don't own a television takedown of the book. But if not here is a link: -

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

4.3/5 on good reads, 5/5 on common sense media (no idea what these are, google suggested them)... terrible?

If you really dig 80s references (though through a very narrow NA filter) and think the idea of reading about a Teenage Wunderkind Marty Sue whose ability to outwit the books bad guys is based entirely on endless variations of 'fortunately I happened to be an expert in (insert name of game/Musical Anthology/Film/TV Show) having (played/listened/watched) it for several hundred (Times/Hours) then you to might think RPO is the greatest book ever and score it 5/5. However, if you've managed to move off YA fantasy/Sci-fi wish fulfilment fiction you might be somewhat less impressed. Still, give it a read, if you must.

Could be good, could be bad. The trailer isn't that great, but I at least trust Spielberg to have a spectacle in store for us.

Oh, and I'm obsessed with Virtual Reality.

Blam

Could be good, could be bad. The trailer isn't that great, but I at least trust Spielberg to have a spectacle in store for us.

Oh, and I'm obsessed with Virtual Reality.

This without a doubt is going to be driving sales of the Oculus, and Vive headsets. No doubt about it.

Top Bottom