• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

I honestly can't remember where, but it was in WotW. Maybe the Twilight missions Blessed village..
Thanks! It worked and I finally managed to get one. This one reflects projectiles with timely guards. Nifty, as archers and hand-cannoneers are the banes of my life.

Interestingly, you can reflect hand cannon projectiles, but they still break your guard.

Assuming I have no clue about forging, how would I go about acquiring an Odachi with Change to Attack (Stamina)"? Ideally with A+ but anything'll do I guess. I never did any of the forging stuff back when I platinumed the game in February.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm at the sunken city level, in which there are water blobs with super high defence. How do I kill them easily?

Firebombs. Just fire in general, but horoku-dama in general work really well.

I think WotS since drops are blue and one purple in first video. WotD always gives me green drops.

Really? I'm sure I've gotten tons of non-green drops in WotD too... I don't always offer ochoko cups at every mission though.

xuchu

I think WotS since drops are blue and one purple in first video. WotD always gives me green drops.

I think the Tachibana video is definitely in WotD as you can see the buffs on top of his health bar which only start appearing on that difficulty iirc. Unsure about Onryoki as I see no buffs at the beginning of the fight. Hmmm, I'm on the last region DLC 2 of WotW and still getting tons of blue and purples.

I'm at the sunken city level, in which there are water blobs with super high defence. How do I kill them easily?

To easily deal with them, simply stand right in front of them and they will be baited to do a slow lunge move. Roll dodge away and it will be in a vulnerable state with its yellow core exposed. High stance strong attack will one or two shot them even if you're level 1 on ng+. Note: if they hit you or you block the lunge they will recover quickly.

They are also weak to fire and resistant to water, so fire talismans and firebombs are very useful.

Assuming I have no clue about forging, how would I go about acquiring an Odachi with Change to Attack (Stamina)"? Ideally with A+ but anything'll do I guess. I never did any of the forging stuff back when I platinumed the game in February.

It's very hard to articulate the forging system succinctly as it has gotten far too complicated for its own good. But in general getting a change to attack stat is quite rare with normal reforging but can be done if you have lots of resources.

An easier way would be to farm revenants that have an odachi on way of the samurai and hope they have an inheritable change to attack stamina. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

As for inheriting special effects on other weapons, I'll let others explain as I am not articulate enough to explain well enough.

Firebombs. Just fire in general, but horoku-dama in general work really well.

To easily deal with them, simply stand right in front of them and they will be baited to do a slow lunge move. Roll dodge away and it will be in a vulnerable state with its yellow core exposed. High stance strong attack will one or two shot them even if you're level 1 on ng+. Note: if they hit you or you block the lunge they will recover quickly.

They are also weak to fire and resistant to water, so fire talismans and firebombs are very useful.

thanks

xuchu

So I have to apologise for ragging on the tonfa as not being viable.

Experimented with them a bit more and they're actually pretty incredible. Initially didn't like the tonfa due to big commitment in attack animations but all that changes once you get the animation cancel mystic art. Was first excited to see that the tonfa has a backwave (perfect guard parry) equivalent of the sword but those follow up uppercuts on their own suck.

However, I've been experimenting with backwave -> uppercuts -> cancel into demon dance pulverise -> cancel into mid stance shove. This results in most regular human enemies being ki broken for you to grapple and then jump and hit them with high stance mountain breaker.

For human bosses like in marobashi, this doesn't work as they have too much stamina. Also tonfa works great against light armour revenants but horrible against heavy armour tatenashi revenants. They just hyper armour through demon dance pulverise and attack.

Also for yokai (and even humans) forget about that slow, lame double kick. Mid stance shove is your go-to ki damage move.

Is it as efficient as single sword and other weapons? probably not but they're stylish as fuck and super flashy.

Also, it is VERY Important that you either use a tonfa that has special effect called 'parry disabled by guarding enemy' or use the 4pc sarutobi sasuke set which gives the same bonus. It has nothing to with a parry of course but actually stops your attacks from bouncing off blockin enemies. Team ninja and their silly and utterly confusing translations... but this stat is all the important on such a combo centric weapon.

Been speaking to other NG2 players and they agree it has big flaws but can be very fun, highly mobile and aggressive weapon:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2XzqOXBeh6U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuDIRJlE7Wc

Need to get my hands on another sarutobi gunstick tonfa as that tonfa gun is a game changer for the weapon class. Absent mindedly disassembled mine :(

So playing a little bit into WotW there is no orange drops for old armor sets like Kingo, Warriror of the West and ect but they have there own unique builds? I've been running full Kingo set with backdamage build with sword for forever now but I guess I'll have to change it a bit. I saw one set that had Close Combat Attack up 12% and Quick Attack up + 21%. I guess I can try to go for that one and put back attack bonus's on that set.

I didn't know this on my first playthrough but if you dodge one of the blobs lunging attacks it goes into this folded up animation and if you hit it with a heavy attack it does massive damage to it.

xuchu

So playing a little bit into WotW there is no orange drops for old armor sets like Kingo, Warriror of the West and ect but they have there own unique builds? I've been running full Kingo set with backdamage build with sword for forever now but I guess I'll have to change it a bit. I saw one set that had Close Combat Attack up 12% and Quick Attack up + 21%. I guess I can try to go for that one and put back attack bonus's on that set.

No, there are orange versions of old sets. They will be able to have unique special effects on them. For example I have increased i-frames on evasion on my Kingo chest piece.

Some of those ethereal set bonuses sound pretty good like that one and there's one which gives iai-quickdraw damage increase 40% o_O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think the Tachibana video is definitely in WotD as you can see the buffs on top of his health bar which only start appearing on that difficulty iirc. Unsure about Onryoki as I see no buffs at the beginning of the fight.

Ah, good call. I think Onryoki just died too fast maybe?

So I have to apologise for ragging on the tonfa as not being viable.

Any weapon that requires gimmick spell builds and 200 stamina to be just decent, is pretty bad.
It looks cool, but it doesnt seem like Team Ninja actually spent anytime trying to build a weapon that fit Nioh. Hell the one new enemy in the dlc is fucking ridiculous to kill with tonfas.

xuchu

Any weapon that requires gimmick spell builds and 200 stamina to be just decent, is pretty bad.
It looks cool, but it doesnt seem like Team Ninja actually spent anytime trying to build a weapon that fit Nioh. Hell the one new enemy in the dlc is fucking ridiculous to kill with tonfas.

Which enemy? The dogs? You just low stance stun lock them to death.

And what is this gimmick spell build you're talking about? The mystic art? It's just a skill that opens up after you complete the dojo mission.

Halfway through the Omi region on WotW. As a ninjutsu build, a lot of bosses have become really tough due to massive resistance to projectiles even when debuffed.

I'd categorize them like this so far:

Very Difficult: Saika Magoichi, White Tiger, Yuki-Onna, Otani Yoshitsugu, Ogress
Moderate: Nue, Muneshige, Obsidian Samurai, Honda
Easy: Onryoki, Hino-Enma, Great Centipede, Giant Toad, Gasha-Dokuro, Okatsu, Li Naomasa, Derrick, Sakon

Haven't fought Joro-Gumo, Umi-Bozu, Orochi, Hundred Eyes, Mitsunari, Nobunaga, Kelley or the DLC bosses yet.

xuchu

But they are always with another guy. And its like "er yea this weapon doesnt have crowd control".

You're right, it does have flaws, quite a lot of them in fact but do that dojo mission and play around with that cancelling skill. It's quite fun.

Mystic arts have nothing to do with omyno magic if that's what confused you.

Baalzebup

With the caveat that I don't know if the new DLC & game version changed something, I'll take a shot at this. All of this is assuming you don't already have the ability as an inheritable trait on another weapon and don't want to try to revenant farm for this particular project.

First, it is pretty important to determine if you really want that A+ or not. The better scaling specials can only appear when the weapon is created / looted initially and can never be replicated via inheritance or reforging. If you really really do want it, then you are stuck forging the same type of weapon again and again until you get the ability you want. Expect copious amounts of copying you backed-up save file to recoup your forging material losses (expect to do with anyway at some point, as reforging can be pretty damn brutal as well).

When forging new items, it is kinda important to consider the base item itself, if you want to get the most out of your gear. For one, even divine and ethereal items get "only" 5 random specials, so having at least one pre-set special, like some elemental damage, or the weapon being in some set, is recommended, though this also can mean being stuck with inferior elemental damage values (generally speaking, there are two "pool" for the elemental/poison/paralysis values and quite a few weapons are stuck with the pool of lower values). With two or more pre-sets, you can just concentrate on getting the one or two specials that only appear upon creation. With only one, or worse, no pre-sets, you'll generally want to forge an item that doesn't already have an inheritable special (the ones marked with an icon that looks something like this []>[] ), so that you can add one later via inheritance.

The actual forging itself is pretty simple, as the game will by default go with the highest available material quality. Pay attention to the tooltips though. To get divine items, you will need to add divine fragments. Just before you press the big ass 'Forge' button, you press triangle to insert the fragments. The more you invest, the higher the chances you get a divine one, but you need to consider your total amount of materials and divine shards to determine how many you want to put in for each round of forging. If you're short on shards and have plenty of other materials, it might be better to just put in one shard as you still get something like a 40% chance for a divine. On the opposite end are the 80+% chances for a divine with 10 shards. I tend to go either min or max investment on that front.

Once you've gotten the beatstick you're going for, assuming you didn't try to get the A+ version, the rest is up to the reforging process. Your weapon can only have a single Change to Attack (insert stat name here) -special in it, so you'll definitely want to re-roll those away if you're gunning for a specific one. They are still relatively rare, so you'll want to use divine shards when you're rolling for that one. The new Tempering option can cut your time in this regard, so if you have a little luck and multiple grades of Umbracite, you can be spared from a great deal of headache and save-scumming.

Now, this post pretty much covers only the part you asked about and only dips into inheritance and re-forging which will be required to max out your beatstick. Xuchu had a really good post on the late game damage output optimisation just a while ago.

Deku Tree

Is this gonna be like the Odachi where for the first days of the new DLC everyone hates Odachi and says it's weak ... right before it became the Meta PvP weapon?

Baalzebup

Okay.... I just got an Ethereal Shiranui from a revenant. I've only seen them drop 3x Divine shards to account for ethereal gear pieces so far, including the very same mission, but I guess there is a small chance for them to drop. It still follows the revenant rule of not having a #+ value.

xuchu

Okay.... I just got an Ethereal Shiranui from a revenant. I've only seen them drop 3x Divine shards to account for ethereal gear pieces so far, including the very same mission, but I guess there is a small chance for them to drop. It still follows the revenant rule of not having a #+ value.

Yeah, I've gotten quite a few from revs at this point but they are very rare. Still looking for ethereal master swordsman dual swords.

Just look at the tempering choices on each ethereal you get, even if you don't need them. Some the special effects are really good. Really want it for the bonus after evasion attack (attack x2), there also a nullify damage version but that's essentially game breaking. Using bonus after purification (attack x2) on my boots, it only grants attacks x2 for one attack but that's ok as your ki pulse into iai or SotC will purify and be double the damage.

Also have the deflect projectiles Yata mirror and it's hilarious parrying cannon shots right back. One shots skeletons but takes 4 to kill a ninja pistol cannon yokai. He doesn't stagger from it too, simply keeps on shooting as if nothing is happening. Luckily the window is quite large, much larger than backwave for instance. Thought I would combine it with an ethereal chest effect called 'no guard break (damage from projectiles)', it doesn't work and it's yet another case of team ninja shoddy translation. What it actually does is causes you not to stagger when arrows and matchlock shots hit you. Cannons still guard break you.

On the same Yata mirror I have a weird effect called 'copy enemy enhancements'. Thought this meant I would sometimes get red enemy and boss buffs but that is not the case. It's when those onmyo mages buff themselves, you have a chance of getting the buffs too if you lock on to them. Rather useless, as they're usually dead long before they buff themselves. More geared for PvP. In fact, most of these ethereal effects seems geared for PvP.

At least the increase evasion invulnerability frames effect is universal.

No, there are orange versions of old sets. They will be able to have unique special effects on them. For example I have increased i-frames on evasion on my Kingo chest piece.

Some of those ethereal set bonuses sound pretty good like that one and there's one which gives iai-quickdraw damage increase 40% o_O

Okay I haven't run into any yet then. I can't remember if the Kingo back attack damage is one the second or third set piece. So I can get the best of both worlds.

With the caveat that I don't know if the new DLC & game version changed something, I'll take a shot at this. All of this is assuming you don't already have the ability as an inheritable trait on another weapon and don't want to try to revenant farm for this particular project.

First, it is pretty important to determine if you really want that A+ or not. The better scaling specials can only appear when the weapon is created / looted initially and can never be replicated via inheritance or reforging. If you really really do want it, then you are stuck forging the same type of weapon again and again until you get the ability you want. Expect copious amounts of copying you backed-up save file to recoup your forging material losses (expect to do with anyway at some point, as reforging can be pretty damn brutal as well).

When forging new items, it is kinda important to consider the base item itself, if you want to get the most out of your gear. For one, even divine and ethereal items get "only" 5 random specials, so having at least one pre-set special, like some elemental damage, or the weapon being in some set, is recommended, though this also can mean being stuck with inferior elemental damage values (generally speaking, there are two "pool" for the elemental/poison/paralysis values and quite a few weapons are stuck with the pool of lower values). With two or more pre-sets, you can just concentrate on getting the one or two specials that only appear upon creation. With only one, or worse, no pre-sets, you'll generally want to forge an item that doesn't already have an inheritable special (the ones marked with an icon that looks something like this []>[] ), so that you can add one later via inheritance.

The actual forging itself is pretty simple, as the game will by default go with the highest available material quality. Pay attention to the tooltips though. To get divine items, you will need to add divine fragments. Just before you press the big ass 'Forge' button, you press triangle to insert the fragments. The more you invest, the higher the chances you get a divine one, but you need to consider your total amount of materials and divine shards to determine how many you want to put in for each round of forging. If you're short on shards and have plenty of other materials, it might be better to just put in one shard as you still get something like a 40% chance for a divine. On the opposite end are the 80+% chances for a divine with 10 shards. I tend to go either min or max investment on that front.

Once you've gotten the beatstick you're going for, assuming you didn't try to get the A+ version, the rest is up to the reforging process. Your weapon can only have a single Change to Attack (insert stat name here) -special in it, so you'll definitely want to re-roll those away if you're gunning for a specific one. They are still relatively rare, so you'll want to use divine shards when you're rolling for that one. The new Tempering option can cut your time in this regard, so if you have a little luck and multiple grades of Umbracite, you can be spared from a great deal of headache and save-scumming.

Now, this post pretty much covers only the part you asked about and only dips into inheritance and re-forging which will be required to max out your beatstick. Xuchu had a really good post on the late game damage output optimisation just a while ago.

Thanks a lot!

This feels like too much of a hassle for a single player game tbh. I think I'll pass on the grinding.

xuchu

Are you able to Soul Match stuff onto those pieces of equipment?

To raise the gear level or + value yes. Haven't seen a divine special effect being inheritable though.

Here's is a very good tip to get all your old perfect gear to level 250 cheaply. When you find any ethereal piece and you will when naturally playing through WotW, go to the tempering choices and look to see if there is a divine effect called 'reset soul match'. This is essentially soul match cost reduction on steroids.

What would have taken me 20bil gold to soul match my 205 weapons to 250 now only took 100k. It doesn't matter what level the ethereal is, just reset those soul matches as that is what makes things so expensive. Say you soul matched your old gear to 228, well now simply forge a new 250 piece of gear. Now you can soul match using the 250 as a material and it will be cheap as you reset soul match.

Rinse and repeat for all your gear and you'll get everything up to 250 for cheap.

Baalzebup

Okay I haven't run into any yet then. I can't remember if the Kingo back attack damage is one the second or third set piece. So I can get the best of both worlds.
The Killing Blow boost is early on, the back attack damage was 4th or 5th piece bonus.
Just look at the tempering choices on each ethereal you get, even if you don't need them. Some the special effects are really good. Really want it for the bonus after evasion attack (attack x2), there also a nullify damage version but that's essentially game breaking. Using bonus after purification (attack x2) on my boots, it only grants attacks x2 for one attack but that's ok as your ki pulse into iai or SotC will purify and be double the damage.
Have you tested, or read about the tests for bolded? The tooltip explanation for it implies that you get the damage boost once you eat an evasion attack from an enemy, not after you use one, but given the way some of this stuff is translated, who knows that they actually mean.

Izuna

Banned
To raise the gear level or + value yes. Haven't seen a divine special effect being inheritable though.

Here's is a very good tip to get all your old perfect gear to level 250 cheaply. When you find any ethereal piece and you will when naturally playing through WotW, go to the tempering choices and look to see if there is a divine effect called 'reset soul match'. This is essentially soul match cost reduction on steroids.

What would have taken me 20bil gold to soul match my 205 weapons to 250 now only took 100k. It doesn't matter what level the ethereal is, just reset those soul matches as that is what makes things so expensive. Say you soul matched your old gear to 228, well now simply forge a new 250 piece of gear. Now you can soul match using the 250 as a material and it will be cheap as you reset soul match.

Rinse and repeat for all your gear and you'll get everything up to 250 for cheap.

OMG wow, so I need a 250 Ethereal with that then I can up the level easily?

I might do that for my Katana and Monk's Helmet ~~ I'm just grinding Three Souls for a little while for now.

TEMPERING IS AMAZING HOLY SHIT

where do I farm for these things?

xuchu

OMG wow, so I need a 250 Ethereal with that then I can up the level easily?

I might do that for my Katana and Monk's Helmet ~~ I'm just grinding Three Souls for a little while for now.

No any old ethereal will do. It can be a level 1 ethereal. All you need is to do is to:

- reforge the unique effect called reset soul match on it.
- Then soul match this ethereal as a material onto your monks helmet.

- Then simply forge a brand new helmet, any divine helmet will do as long as you forge it as a 250 (you will be able to forge 250 gear I think when you unlock region 4?)
- then take your monk helmet and soul match it up to 250.

It will be very cheap as this is the 'first' time you will have soul matched the helmet.

Izuna

Banned
No any old ethereal will do. It can be a level 1 ethereal. All you need is to do is to:

- reforge the unique effect called reset soul match on it.
- Then soul match this ethereal as a material onto your monks helmet.

- Then simply forge a brand new helmet, any divine helmet will do as long as you forge it as a 250 (you will be able to forge 250 gear I think when you unlock region 4?)
- then take your monk helmet and soul match it up to 250.

It will be very cheap as this is the 'first' time you will have soul matched the helmet.

My question is, would that be an inheritable skill in that case?

Izuna

Banned
I know right. Twilight missions give them so finally a reason to do them. If you have ps plus I think coop gives them too.

No, doesn't need to be.

This is cool.

Yeah I have co-op, do you wanna play something? I wanted to play this all night :D

This is the BEST QoL update ever.

xuchu

The Killing Blow boost is early on, the back attack damage was 4th or 5th piece bonus.

Have you tested, or read about the tests for bolded? The tooltip explanation for it implies that you get the damage boost once you eat an evasion attack from an enemy, not after you use one, but given the way some of this stuff is translated, who knows that they actually mean.

Yes I have tested it on other weapons that have dropped, it's a translation error yet again on team ninjas part and a huge one at that. After you do an evasion attack on an enemy you will see a buff with a sword symbol and x2 on it. It only lasts for 3 seconds and goes away after one attack so is best saved for a big charge move.

Or this: parry, evasion attack, x2 final blow damage o_O

Sorry to bring up another forging question again, but what determines the level of the forge weapon?

I understand that in the OG game the max level was 150 but it has since risen to 200+. Do I have to unlock the higher difficulties or is this random but base on my current character level?

Izuna

Banned
Sorry to bring up another forging question again, but what determines the level of the forge weapon?

I understand that in the OG game the max level was 150 but it has since risen to 200+. Do I have to unlock the higher difficulties or is this random but base on my current character level?

Character level and progress through the game.

You're capped at your CL (also Muramasa's patronage levels will reduce the randomness) -- but afaik you gotta progress through the story if you're not hitting your CL cap. Also, the weapon levels have their own caps.

Some of these ethereal sets are really interesting. Theres one that boosts fire damage by a substantial amount. Thinking of trying to make a new fire damage build around the set. Coupled with the susano guardian spirit and some boosts on weapon and accessories you could easily of 200% + to fire damage along with possible recurrent damage buffs for the dot as well. Really excited to mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

Izuna

Banned
xuchu, I found a helmet with the perk

How do I get this onto my Monk Helmet? ;( I'm a little confused

Or do you mean, I just Soul Match it normally (with max fam?) and it works

xuchu

xuchu, I found a helmet with the perk

How do I get this onto my Monk Helmet? ;( I'm a little confused

Or do you mean, I just Soul Match it normally (with max fam?) and it works

Just soul match normally, I don't think I even bothered raising familiarity. The game will know in the background that the soul match counter has reset. It should be strangely cheap, like 60k or something.

Izuna

Banned
Just soul match normally, I don't think I even bothered raising familiarity. The game will know in the background that the soul match counter has reset. It should be strangely cheap, like 60k or something.

:D YAY

--

My way to farm Amrita is to use one of the Crystals at the story of the mission so I have LW enabled. Use fast run to the end and mash my way to victory. hehe

Izuna

Banned
So there's a bug with LW. If you're doing low stance light attack combo while you go into LW, you can keep doing it with the buff. I wonder if this means you can get other techniques and skills that are otherwise better choices.

xuchu

So there's a bug with LW. If you're doing low stance light attack combo while you go into LW, you can keep doing it with the buff. I wonder if this means you can get other techniques and skills that are otherwise better choices.

Yes, it's been known for quite a while. It's what has enabled things like axe mad spinner LW build. I think they start spinning, then activate LW while spinning and there we go infinite mad spinner as long as you keep LW up with extraction.

Izuna

Banned
Yes, it's been known for quite a while. It's what has enabled things like axe mad spinner LW build. I think they start spinning, then activate LW while spinning and there we go infinite mad spinner as long as you keep LW up with extraction.

Oooh right, I didn't use the Axe so I didn't realise it used this exploit. That's pretty funny.

I'm in the first area.

Invitation from the warrior of the West is hard as fk. It says 27 but I'm getting my ass kicked. Died like 12 times and gave up for now.

I have a "proceed to next region" on screen, an I come back? How does this work?

Izuna

Banned
I'm in the first area.

Invitation from the warrior of the West is hard as fk. It says 27 but I'm getting my ass kicked. Died like 12 times and gave up for now.

I have a "proceed to next region" on screen, an I come back? How does this work?

Yes you can return anytime.

For that fight, the general advice is to use Lifeseal Onmyo

Top Bottom