• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us trailer + preorder goodies + boxart + multiplayer confirmed

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/14/the-last-of-us-new-survivor-tess-background-details/

1ndqfa.png

2t7pnq.png

38mr7q.png

43xrnk.jpg

Are you kidding me with those graphics! Good Lawd! O_O

Violater

I seriously hope the MP in the last of us is something that I will enjoy, as the MP in the uncharted games was a complete throw away for me.

i-Lo

^^ Am I the only to think that head part can be broken off into pieces starting from the perimeter and be eaten? Looks like an overgrown and mutated cashew nut XD

Violater

^^ Am I the only to think that head part can be broken off into pieces starting from the perimeter and be eaten? Looks like an overgrown and mutated cashew nut XD

Lol man i thought the same thing, only more like chicken nuggets that need some dipping sauce.

LastNac

Sharp. 46". No filter. I went through great lengths to calibrate my TV; cell phone grabs just don't do the picture justice, TV is two years old and I still love it. I've had two Samsungs, and yet the cheaper Sharp has been the best.

Yeah, picked up a Samsung UN55D7000 last year. Trying to calibrate it to the best of my abilities.

I think multiplayer can be sweet if its like SOCOM 2. Everyone should spawn without a weapon so they have to search for bricks, pipes, and supplies to survive the round. Also, weapons like pistols and shotguns should spawn in random locations per round. There is great potential for a revolutionary online experience.

taizuke

I think multiplayer can be sweet if its like SOCOM 2. Everyone should spawn without a weapon so they have to search for bricks, pipes, and supplies to survive the round. Also, weapons like pistols and shotguns should spawn in random locations per round. There is great potential for a revolutionary online experience.

I like this. Would like if everything was random to make it more suspensfull.

taizuke

Not sure if anyone cares but this trailer was just posted on US PSN store.

Thanks. Have seen it many times but i took some time to analyze it.

1st) You see people running towards a burning building. Some think they're running from the infected. After all, who runs towards a burning building? But, i like to think this is before the infection happened. I don't know but something about it makes me think this isn't the present. Perhaps when the outbreak occurs.

2nd) You see the shadow of human turning into the infected. The transformation happening within seconds. Very cool. Still unclear about the incubation period of the infection on a human, though.

3rd) Is nice to see a variety of locals within the trailer. Specially how nature has taken over a world that has been left alone for years. It all looks so beautiful.

4th) We see Bill along with Joel overlooking someone who just hanged him/herself (you can't see much but that's what it looks like) while the lines "I had someone i cared about once and in this world that sort of sh** is good for one thing... getting you killed". Love that part. It just shows the severity of their situation. Of anyone who lives in this world basically.

5th) Then we see Ellie cocking a gun. This reminds me of that part in The Walking Dead game where that guys tells you
"In this world you aint a boy you aint a girl you aint smart, you're alive".
Joel knows this and most likely Ellie too and this is why i think they don't even bat an eyelash over it. In this world this sort of thing for them is normal.

6th) Then we see a woman wearing a hoodie. She's talking about something being smuggled. Could she be the one that asks Joel to rescue Ellie from the government site? My gut says no. She's too calm about it. BTW, is this character voiced by the actress who did Alyx Vance in Half-Life 2?

7th) Next we meet Tess. A woman with a sleeveless shirt. I don't see her and Joel being an item but they might've been at some point. Love the scene where Joel yells "It's over". Good stuff.

8th) We then see Joel talking with someone on a table. What's interesting is that we see no military personnel here yet we see an automatic weapon on the table. I'm guessing he's military or part of an group that is against the government and somehow acquired this weapon.

9th) Next is what looks like a quarantined zone. The government really has their hands all over the place. But, you also see the reality and brutality of the people who live in this place. You even see soldiers restraining people on the street. In the back you can notice someone used some spray cans spelling "Rise". Could the dude from the table be part of an organized uprising?

10th) Now to the good stuff. We see Joel interrogating someone. The lines "We don't have to do this, you know that, right"?. A part of me thinks this is before the infection. For one Joel is wearing slightly different clothes. So, this could be a flashback scene. I mean we know Joel used to as bad as the people who jump them on the car. So, maybe. Or this guy has information and Joel wants it. Hence why he tells him we don't have to do it if he talks i guess.

11) Then we see Joel, Ellie, and the automatic weapon guy overlooking a village powered by electricity. Woodbury, anyone? lol If it is i'll hunt down the governor and kill that SOB myself. haha But, really strange to see a city with electricity.

12) I love this next scene. You see Joel protecting Ellie by putting his arm on her letting her know not to move because an enemy is just around the corner. It's also very tense. Now, Joel made a promise to rescue Ellie so it could even be just a job at first but it'll be interesting to see how it goes from that to caring about her like a father figure. I mean later on in the trailer he tells her "make every shot count".

13th) The first time you seen an infected in this trailer you see Joel pointing a shotgun ready to fire. But, if you notice while Joel's doing that he's also wearing a gas mask. Is the infection airborne? That seems to suggest it. But, back in the Bill trailer he yells at Joel asking if he has any bite or scratch. So, it could be Joel's wearing a mask for another reason.

14th) Almost at the end of the trailer you see a woman pointing a scope rifle at Ellie (Andrea is everywhere...). See, this is Woodbury guys! The Governor is somewhere here and i'm gonna find his ass! lol

15th) At one point we see Ellie wearing a winter coat in the snow and a bow on her back. Hunger Games anyone? haha

16th) Interesting to point how different the infected look like. Specially the face. It seems like the infection can transform all kinds of ways.

17th) Probably one of the coolest part in the trailer is seeing the infected blown to smithereens whether by a shotgun to the face or a bomb. Specially the bomb. You see both legs and arms turn to shred in seconds. Pretty cool.

18th) The last part of the trailer suggests Ellie is going to shoot Joel cause you see him injured, pale, and some think he's about to turn. I'm 100% that's not the case. 1) ND isn't going to spoil the ending. 2) Is called clever editing. 3) Joel's scene suggest he's near snow while Ellie's does not.

All in all an awesome trailer which you can see says so much about the game. I think is important to note that although we're used to killing monsters in video games when it comes to killing humans or humans doing harm to other humans i think that's the most effective form of violence and is clear TLOU is going to touch on that a lot.

Did you guys know...

... that Joel was first called Ethan in the process of writing the script of TLOU? After a meeting with the other team from Naughty Dog Amy Hennig noticed that Ethan & Ellie sounds like Nathan & Elena, so they changed Ethans name.

... that there are no traditional Boss fights. More like Boss-similar fights.

... that there are no day-night changes.

... that there will be a New+ Game.

... there is no skill tree or leveling in Singleplayer but maybe somewhere else.

... that the cordyceps virus are human exclusive and are not effecting animals in order to keep the wilderness.

More Information.

- the journey of Joel & Ellie leads towards San Francisco

- the military quarantine is called "The Zone"

- you can interact with doors

- Quicktime Events are going to be in cutscenes

- the opponents are also detecting sounds that do not come from us. So if you for example shut off the radio in a deserted fast food, you could alert enemies nearby the dinner.

- scars, flaws and scratches are realistically represented on the enemy in an a battle.

Gorillaz

Has the story been stated/leaked? Cause I remember reading something about it and the importance of Ellie to the whole storyline. Almost like it is a twist.

EDIT: New Game+?waaaat

ZeroRay

More Information.

- the opponents are also detecting sounds that do not come from us. So if you for example shut off the radio in a deserted fast food, you could alert enemies nearby the dinner.

- scars, flaws and scratches are realistically represented on the enemy in an a battle.

OMG this is this generation's Resident Evil 4!

Ricky_R

More Information.

Can we confirm this info?? I mean, is it legit? More curious than doubtful btw.

Did you guys know...

... that Joel was first called Ethan in the process of writing the script of TLOU? After a meeting with the other team from Naughty Dog Amy Hennig noticed that Ethan & Ellie sounds like Nathan & Elena, so they changed Ethans name.

... that there are no traditional Boss fights. More like Boss-similar fights.

... that there are no day-night changes.

... that there will be a New+ Game.

... there is no skill tree or leveling in Singleplayer but maybe somewhere else.

... that the cordyceps virus are human exclusive and are not effecting animals in order to keep the wilderness.
But we've already seen a dusk / dawn setting in the trailer

DarkKyo

But we've already seen a dusk / dawn setting in the trailer

I think what it means is that there is no day-night cycle, though events/segments will still indeed take places at all different times of day.

Or.... maybe it means there is a day-night cycle yet there is nothing different(no changes) between the two?

More Information.

Fuck

What kind of door are we talking about here and what are the doorknob mechanics?

...lol

I'm more concerned with the pacing of the game, we know the game takes place over a long time, at least a year since there are season changes, but I don't think all those time will be playable, so my guess is ND will be picking and choosing which scenes to tell, but I hope it didn't make the scenario too disjointed.

the easy thing to do will be intro cutscene you enter a town/area, play through the chapter until you get out of the area and start end cutscene and continue to another intro cutscene of new area. repeat till the end. I think that could be a little stale if they don't mix it up.

I'm more concerned with the pacing of the game, we know the game takes place over a long time, at least a year since there are season changes, but I don't think all those time will be playable, so my guess is ND will be picking and choosing which scenes to tell, but I hope it didn't make the scenario too disjointed.

the easy thing to do will be intro cutscene you enter a town/area, play through the chapter until you get out of the area and start end cutscene and continue to another intro cutscene of new area. repeat till the end. I think that could be a little stale if they don't mix it up.

Im more worried about the melee being a glorified QTE than having an actual combat system.

Im more worried about the melee being a glorified QTE than having an actual combat system.

eh, I'm already content that the qte cutscene is your reward animation while the main challenge is in approaching the enemy in the first place. it's a compromise I guess, the qte we got from the trailer is very impressive and felt real, an actual combat system may not able to give that feeling and I'm not sure I want to let go of that.

there's enough gameplay in the hide and seek gameplay, exploration, and according to trailer, setting up traps etc in the game. I hope.

i-Lo

No, it'll be context sensitive much like as it was in Uncharted 2/3 with perhaps a few different button prompts for lethal vs non-lethal disposal of foes.

Jarmel

Banned
More Information.

This is bullshit until source is provided.

I know theres an interview where nd said sound plays a really important role in the game, like enemy could hear your heavy breathing etc

Top Bottom