• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

I've been watching Ben play Thousand Year Door and he says in part 5 that he's gonna show Huber the Bowser stuff on the next group stream. Did that ever happen, and if it did what video was it in?
Not yet. He still has the save ready though

I also watched GT's reaction to the reveal of Umbrella Corps. I think it's one of their best reactions. And the build-up to the reveal is even funnier in retrospect.
Haha I remember watching that stream live. I keep forgetting that game exists

Bahorel

I still am in awe over Embrace Suck

I looked it up to get a clearer view and this "How to Draw Beastly" webpage provided me one

how-to-draw-kyle-kingson-how-to-draw-beastly-step-12_1_000000048893_5.jpg

what director/makeup artist/whoever thought that that was a good choice

Ben, have you had a chance to check out the new Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile album? I recall you mentioning CB's last record on Frame Trap sometime last year. I think you'll like their collaboration, it's all about good vibes.

I love it. It's the main thing I've been listening to. Good vibes indeed.

Man EZA has had some good rants this week. And not in the typical and tired “angry gamer” deal. First Ben on Frame trap and now Brandon in the EZA podcast. When Brandon gets fired up and goes on a passionate rant it’s so great. He doesn’t do it a lot but when it happens it’s worth it. And because it doesn’t happen often you can feel the genuine passion from him when he goes in. And honestly I’m at the same spot with Star Wars and EA.

The movie have finally gotten their act together. We are finally past the prequel dark era. Things are looking up and for Star war games all we have is a Battlefield SW clone. The first one that was an incomplete game, the second one of the most cynically implemented loot box mechanics I’ve seen in a $60 game. Yea I’m checked out

The only weird thing about this EA/Star Wars stuff on the podcast is the panel assuming the game was going to be great. Apparently (according to Jason Schreier on Twitter) development was shifted because the game was a mess.

The only weird thing about this EA/Star Wars stuff on the podcast is the panel assuming the game was going to be great. Apparently (according to Jason Schreier on Twitter) development was shifted because the game was a mess.

I did bring it up at least once, but I think that's part of the poor communication if true. If the game simply wasn't shaping up to the quality they expected, it would be better to own that than trying to imply that the genre is somehow obsolete.

I did bring it up at least once, but I think that's part of the poor communication if true. If the game simply wasn't shaping up to the quality they expected, it would be better to own that than trying to imply that the genre is somehow obsolete.

Literally just reached the point of the discussion where you brought that up after I posted. I think they needed an excuse and didn't want to admit to their own failings so this is what they came up with. Would have been nice to get some more honesty from EA about it but as a corporation I can see why they wouldn't want to come right out and talk about how bad development was going.

Any chance of the Allies putting a scoreboard or elimination lists into tournaments? They're some of my favourite EZA content but it can be hard to keep track of who's where when I tend to play a game while watching.

Like I know that's kinda on me, but there's only so much time in a day XD

It's there for some of them too so I guess it's the inconsistency that confuses me a bit. Either way, loving the Pokemon tournament. Turn based stuff really works well for the tourneys IMO.

ShadyK54

Any chance of the Allies putting a scoreboard or elimination lists into tournaments? They're some of my favourite EZA content but it can be hard to keep track of who's where when I tend to play a game while watching.

Like I know that's kinda on me, but there's only so much time in a day XD

It's there for some of them too so I guess it's the inconsistency that confuses me a bit. Either way, loving the Pokemon tournament. Turn based stuff really works well for the tourneys IMO.

Yeah, I don’t know why Kyle’s bracket disappeared for this tourney. (In tourneys, the bracket is shown between matches to show who advances/who’s up)

Damiani linked to it in chat after every battle, but each time I clicked on it nothing was updated in it lol.

You can read that a couple ways, though. The narrative that's catching on is that the official word ('sp is no good, mp forever') is just damage control for investors. But the schreier leak may just be damage control for a different audience.

My guess is there's probably at least a little truth to both of them. Though it's worth noting that large software projects (i.e games) usually go through rough spots, and you could wait for one, make drastic changes you were planning all along at that point, and with some (but not too much) honesty say it was necessary because the project was a mess.

E: I should clarify that when I say 'truth', I mean the truth about their motivations. They may genuinely believe (at the C level) that sp is dead, and they may be completely wrong about that.

Yeah, I don’t know why Kyle’s bracket disappeared for this tourney. (In tourneys, the bracket is shown between matches to show who advances/who’s up)

Damiani linked to it in chat after every battle, but each time I clicked on it nothing was updated in it lol.

Ah I'd not noticed it was shown between matches. Will have to keep that on mind. The only reason it seemed a bit odd is there's a perfect slot on the right of the screen for it which they've used before but I guess that lends itself to a score based system better like the golf tournament.

You can read that a couple ways, though. The narrative that's catching on is that the official word ('sp is no good, mp forever') is just damage control for investors. But the schreier leak may just be damage control for a different audience.

My guess is there's probably at least a little truth to both of them. Though it's worth noting that large software projects (i.e games) usually go through rough spots, and you could wait for one, make drastic changes you were planning all along at that point, and with some (but not too much) honesty say it was necessary because the project was a mess.

E: I should clarify that when I say 'truth', I mean the truth about their motivations. They may genuinely believe (at the C level) that sp is dead, and they may be completely wrong about that.

True.

I also think that it's not fair to just assume now that the new game will be bad. This new direction could end up producing a better game than we would have gotten had they stayed the course, if there's truth to the report that the game was in rough shape.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just subbed to the allies to get the podcast early, but it's still showing up as locked even though I've subbed to the tier. Anyone know what the deal is?

Just subbed to the allies to get the podcast early, but it's still showing up as locked even though I've subbed to the tier. Anyone know what the deal is?

Everything seems to be correct. Maybe just a delay of some kind. Try logging out and logging back in or clearing Patreon cookies perhaps? Sorry, haven't seen this one pop up before.

Chuck

Still without luck
Everything seems to be correct. Maybe just a delay of some kind. Try logging out and logging back in or clearing Patreon cookies perhaps? Sorry, haven't seen this one pop up before.
Thanks dude. It was actually a paypal error that the mobile site didn't surface anywhere. All good now.

Great week of rants. Ben brings the fire to lootboxes on Frame Trap and Jones beats down EA on the EZA Podcast.

Even if the game was a mess (which I don't completely believe, otherwise why invite the backlash with that awful statement?), EA's handling of everything is just absolute garbage. From closing down yet another talented studio (and if the game was a mess, letting them get to that point) and releasing that statement, to the laughable non-announcement of Amy Hennig's Star Wars game years ago and their horrendous handling of the Star Wars IP over the last 4 years.

They make Microsoft's handling of their franchises and studios look incredible in comparison and they're the pricks who almost closed down Platinum Games.

Hasney

For the bet, the Mario Odyssey file size was already known I thought?

A listing on Nintendo’s Japanese store shows that just 5.7GB will be required for the digital version.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Great week of rants. Ben brings the fire to lootboxes on Frame Trap and Jones beats down EA on the EZA Podcast.

Even if the game was a mess (which I don't completely believe, otherwise why invite the backlash with that awful statement?), EA's handling of everything is just absolute garbage. From closing down yet another talented studio (and if the game was a mess, letting them get to that point) and releasing that statement, to the laughable non-announcement of Amy Hennig's Star Wars game years ago and their horrendous handling of the Star Wars IP over the last 4 years.

They make Microsoft's handling of their franchises and studios look incredible in comparison and they're the pricks who almost closed down Platinum Games.

Yeah it's kinda sad that my first reaction to the news is being sure that more parts of Bioware are probably next on the list. It's just an expectation EA has created over years of repeated decision making. Even sadder is that I'm not that bothered by that possibility(taking many people possibly losing their jobs out of the equation).

Karu

It's not like Warriors isn't already out in Japan, tho, haha. Anyway, really surprising the game is supposed to be only half as big as SteamWorld Dig 2 on Switch.

Damiani is surprised by the cuts taken by retail/console manufacturers?
buying directly from the publisher? dude what.

i looove EZA but everytime they talk business i have to skip forward a bit.

ShadyK54

Damiani is surprised by the cuts taken by retail/console manufacturers?
buying directly from the publisher? dude what.

i looove EZA but everytime they talk business i have to skip forward a bit.

Was his surprise not directed at just how much those cuts are, in relation to Dead Space 2? I feel like they would already know about cuts in general to begin with.

Mikey Jr.

Not me. Wolfenstein shall occupy my soul on the 27th. God bless some Nazi killing.

Yeah, no interest in Mario. Mario day gonna pop in horizon and replay it in time for the dlc on Nov 7th.
Cant wait to explore more of that world! Love Aloy. One of the best PS characters imo.

Bloodworth: hey, have you guys ever considered working on the friend code art/thumbnail? The colour scheme is not great. It doesn't pop on my feed. It's just the dark gray/biege colour, and kinda disappears within the rest of your videos.

Just my opinion to be honest. Doesn't give off "Nintendo podcast" vibes either.

ToonLink

Can't believe Mario is only a week away. I remember showing the January presentation trailer to my 7 year old nephew, and it was the first time I saw him get sulky because he wanted to play a game so badly and it seemed too far away for him haha. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a 3D Mario game, myself. Odyssey is going to be great!

On the topic of the podcast, I really enjoyed the discussion, too. I honestly don't blame Jones for losing interest. The way EA has handled it is really bad. And even if the game was not rebooted due to being a single player game, as Jason Schreier stated, they wouldn't have made those statements if they weren't going to move the game in a different direction, anyway. And yeah, the 'I'm enjoying these microtransactions' bit at the end of the podcast was genuinely funny in light of the big conversation of the episode as well as the final word.

Fou-Lu

I need to beat Mario+Rabbids still before Odyssey comes out. I am almost finished the third world, how much more do I have to go?

Ultimadrago

Just finished Divinity 2 yesterday. I'm thinking of a smaller game to hold me off before Mario Odyssey. Maybe Shadow Warrior 2 or something.

Also watching this Pokemon Stadium 2 tournament. I love Stadium!

Fou-Lu

I really wish there were more games as charming, jolly and well written as Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Watching Ben play it is great.

Bahorel

I need to beat Mario+Rabbids still before Odyssey comes out. I am almost finished the third world, how much more do I have to go?

The fourth world has a few more battles than the other ones but you're almost there, as long as you don't care about doing all the challenges and just wanna stick to the main game. I used Mario Peach and Rabbid Peach and pretty much had no trouble beating the game. I'm certainly no expert but having two healers makes it pretty easy to clean up. I went back to get all the chests once I got the last skill from world four and then I was satisfied with leaving it, challenges undone.

abrack08

Still finishing off Danganronpa V3, not sure if I'll have time to do South Park before Mario at this rate.

I really love Danganronpa V3, I'm sad I let all the impressions about how divisive it was prevent me from playing it day 1. It's PROBABLY my favorite in the series so far, though I haven't quite reached the ending, which is I think (?) the part that was so divisive. Can't wait for Ben's review, especially since I'll be able to watch it without worrying about spoilers.

wandering

Banned
Watching the bonus Ian stream at the moment. Man, I love when Ian streams with Omar, what I wouldn’t give for another adventure game full playthrough like when they did Obduction.

Mikey Jr.

Kyle stopped Tetris because he was going onto something else.

I completely forgot why. What was he moving onto again? And is there a timeframe for it? Probably after box peek I'm assuming.

Top Bottom