• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I poke my head out of the gutter for one freaking second and fate...

The No More Heroes series has a ton.

But a lot are spoilers.

Fragile Dreams also has a lot.

"The day will come when your journey will end as well.

Your greatest adventure will be over and you will make your way home.

However your journey will not be complete. The days will still go one for you. One after another they will pass, until you've had enough of the monotony

No new discoveries will await you.

You'll watch the sun rise and set. That's all your days have to offer.

That's the moment when you realize the truth...
The sunbeams, the wind rolling over the tall grass, the idle chit-chat with friends...
These were the gems of your life.

Then your heart will be carried off by the gentle, caressing breeze
and it will sparkle like a jewel, fade, and grow cold."

The entire speech.

"You cannot hide from what you once were, Revan" - Darth Malak
aka the moment my jaw dropped during KOTOR

on a more humorous note, in Snake Eater

"I'm in a box."
"A cardboard box? Why?"
"I dunno. I was just looking at it, and suddenly I got this irresistible urge to get inside. No, not an urge, more than that. It was my destiny to be here, in the box!"
"Destiny?"
"And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can't put it into words. I feel safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I'd found the key to true happiness."

burgerdog

In philosophy
Professor asks me about the concept of evil
Put on the spot, start panicking but remember a certain quote from Witcher 3
"Evil is Evil. Lesser, greater, middling… Makes no difference. The degreee is arbitary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another… I’d rather not choose at all"
Professor looks stunned, class gives me a round of applause

You don't really expect us to believe this, right?

Nictel

"The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace."

This to me is so memorable as it was the first spoken sentence I ever heard in a videogame. The game itself is also one of my all time favourites.

Vlade

One that stuck with me as interesting, ff4 (specifically the NA Final Fantasy II version):

"Justice is not the only right in this world"

I still think about that line when talking about what is expected behavior of a nation and laws, of a company/group and rules, and of a person and conduct.

and then they changed the line in later versions.....

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The No More Heroes series has a ton.

But a lot are spoilers.

Fragile Dreams also has a lot.

"The day will come when your journey will end as well.

Your greatest adventure will be over and you will make your way home.

However your journey will not be complete. The days will still go one for you. One after another they will pass, until you've had enough of the monotony

No new discoveries will await you.

You'll watch the sun rise and set. That's all your days have to offer.

That's the moment when you realize the truth...
The sunbeams, the wind rolling over the tall grass, the idle chit-chat with friends...
These were the gems of your life.

Then your heart will be carried off by the gentle, caressing breeze
and it will sparkle like a jewel, fade, and grow cold."

The entire speech.

That reads way better than it plays in the scene. Too much anime dub pause breaking.

Prince's monologue about time from Sands of Time.

Shepard's motivational speech from ME2.

Professor Oak explanation of your Pokedex quest

That creepy ass narrator at the end of PS1 Doom. "You can now retire to a lifetime of FRIVOLITY!"

I can't be arsed to quote many of these because they're really long! But these stick out from my childhood.

Fury451

Banned
I don't have it off the top my head, but the entire opening monologue to DOOM 2016 was fantastic. The fact that they took that ridiculous rip and tear quote from the comic and actually made it something sinister and bad ass was really awesome.

TheDanger

Banned
I don't have it off the top my head, but the entire opening monologue to DOOM 2016 was fantastic. The fact that they took that ridiculous rip and tear quote from the comic and actually made it something sinister and bad ass was really awesome.

oh yeah rip and tear, until it is DONE, fucking epic delivery.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
"You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you..."

From the GOTG demon's souls, since everyone took the black maiden quote already :p

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
NieR: Popola

"Stop? Stop? You want me to stop? You think I have the luxury to stop? You cut down my sister like an animal and you tell me to STOP!? No one STOPS!! It's way too late to STOP! No one... STOOOOOPS!!"

Scoops312

Banned

"They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you, you will be worse. Rip and tear until it is done!

The ending monologue of Silent Hill 2.

"James... You made me happy."

Also "In my restless dreams, I see that town. Silent Hill." is such a strong line too.

Fjordson

I always think of Metal Gear when it comes to gaming quotes. So many lines that stick in my mind.

"This is the greatest hand gun ever made: The Colt Single Action Army. Six bullets. More than enough to kill anything that moves."

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
"Hunters have told me about the church. About the gods, and their love. But... do the gods love their creations? I am a doll, created by you humans. Would you ever think to love me? Of course... I do love you. Isn't that how you've made me?"

-Doll, Bloodborne

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over."

Mentok

Banned
"Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?...." - Andrew Ryan from Bioshock. That opening monologue with the intro scene is forever embedded as my GOAT opening to a game.

emiliano

Nier: Automata
life
is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment
I think this phrase will remain etched in my brain for ever.

Melubas

It's impossible to choose a favourite quote from Planescape Torment, but I always liked this one:

"There is no room for '2' in the world of 1's and 0's, no place for 'mayhap' in a house of trues and falses, and no 'green with envy' in a black and white world. " - Ravel Puzzlewell

FingerBang

"I think it's important to keep a balance in things. Yeah, balance, that's the right word. Cause the guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the one who wants too little from life might not get anything at all."

Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In philosophy
Professor asks me about the concept of evil
Put on the spot, start panicking but remember a certain quote from Witcher 3
"Evil is Evil. Lesser, greater, middling… Makes no difference. The degreee is arbitary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another… I’d rather not choose at all"
Professor looks stunned, class gives me a round of applause

Lol, you serious?

That was funny.

mclem

"Hands off that hamster!"

And on a similar note:

”Gosh, I hope this isn't like the primitive, dangerous microwave ovens of my century. Those things could really pop a hamster good."

It's the delivery of "pop a hamster good" that really sticks in my mind.

I can't be arsed to quote many of these because they're really long! But these stick out from my childhood.

In terms of longer ones, the Guardian's speech from the opening to Ultima VII's a prominent one that's stuck with me.

Know that Britannia has entered into a new age of enlightenment.

Know that the time has finally come for the one *true* lord of Britannia to take His place at the head of His people.

Under my guidance, Britannia will flouish, and all the people shall rejoice and pay homage to their new... Guardian.

Know that you too will kneel before me, Avatar. You too will soon acknowledge my authority.

For I will be your companion. Your... provider. And... your master! <evil laughter>

hotcyder

7n9vs1q7.jpg

m00h

Banned
"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over."

Came here to post this.

Also
"Rise and shine, Mister Freeman. Rise and... shine. Not that I... wish to imply you have been sleeping on the job. No one is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until... well, let's just say your hour has... come again."
- G-Man (2004)

Was so annoying having to listen to that every time you start the game up..

I was the opposite, I let the entire monologue play out the first ten or fifteen times I started Nier, just because I liked it so much.

"aeiou"
"uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"
"john madden"

-moonbase alpha

Exclamation point question mark exclamation point question mark exclamation point question mark

There is a scene in Dragon Age 2 during Aveline's personal quest where you and the rest of the crew are trying to set her up with Donnic who obviously likes her but Aveline is a hopeless battle hardened dumb when it comes to romance and during the scene Aveline is desperately trying to make small talk and comes out with

"It's a very nice night for an evening"

And I almost died laughing and you can almost hear her soul face palming herself into the ground. The game can actually be very dark but that was one of the welcome moments of levity and Dragon Age's camaraderie was it's strong suit.

"It's a real nice night for an evening" is something me and my friends still quote to each other.

*Side note: Please bring Isabela on this quest for the commentary alone

Aveline is a major reason why I can't hate Dragon Age 2 very much. This questline was lovely.

Morinaga

"Most test subjects do experience some cognitive deterioration after a few months in suspension. Now you've been under for... quite a lot longer, and it's not out of the question that you might have a very minor case of serious brain damage. But don't be alarmed, alright? Although, if you do feel alarm, try to hold onto that feeling because that is the proper reaction to being told you have brain damage." Wheatley, Portal 2

Gastone

"Back home, i was filling test tubes in some dead-end lab. People knew me as Stephan. But that was never who i was. I knew what i could do. And i knew who i wanted to do it as. "Hainly Abrams, Andromeda Explorer". That's me. Feels Good. Feels right!"

Top Bottom