• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

OBias

Who would've been better than relic? Serious question, see some people doubting them because of that Warhammer? Was it a bad game? How many bad games did they make?

Also, never played AOE guess its pretty good?

Creative Assembly could've been better, they have more experience with historical games. They also collaborated with Microsoft before.

Anth0ny

They only showed the logos so who knows

DHx0PeLXcAA3en-.jpg

OH SHIIIIIIIIIT

I like relic but dow3 was terrible.

maybe with the MS money they will have a decent budget.

After dawn of war 3 ... not sure if I can trust relic

DoW3 was a troubled game that tried to cater to many audiences: DoW1 audience, DoW2 audience, esports audience, Moba audience, and in the end it didn't cater to anyone.
Still, I think if they focus their efforts in a more cohesive design, they can return to the RTS glory.

Wait aren't Relic developers under Sega

Yes.

It makes sense sega are contracting their studios. A studio like creative assembly has like 500+ employees. Upkeep is expensive unless you shipping hit after hit

I disagree, but even if that was the case, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring the mouse+keyboard ability that they promised a few times already.

Imagine the complaints if they released AOE on Xbox and xbox people found out you had to hook up a M&KB.

Also a controller would severely limit what they could do. Imagine trying AoE 2 with an xbox controller.

Jonnax

I don't see a thread for it, but they also announced remakes of Age of Empires 2 and 3

The odd thing is that Age of Empires 2 has an excellent HD remaster available on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/Age_of_Empires_II_HD/

In fact 3 extra DLCs were made with extra civilisations and campaigns plus a ton of balancing.
They also made a new AI which plays better. You can mix and match AIs.

This seems to be a Windows Store version. Not sure why anyone would buy it on the Win Store but maybe Microsoft may remove it from Steam lol

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Oh, that AoEII remake! I need that!

Also, what a way to throw AoEII HD under the bus.
That was my thinking as well...what's going to happen to all the progress Forgotten Empires has done for Age if Empires II HD?

Of course it's quite obvious these Definitive Editions are being made because they want the Steam Age of Empires player base to move over to the Windows Store.

Refyref

I'm glad Age of Empires is being revived, and that they're putting an accomplished developer behind it, but Relic's RTS style is nothing like what the old AoE games were. I hope they'll adapt to the franchise's style, but I'm going to wait for more information before getting too excited.

Bl@de

Who would've been better than relic? Serious question, see some people doubting them because of that Warhammer? Was it a bad game? How many bad games did they make?

Also, never played AOE guess its pretty good?

Creative Assembly are fantastic in the Strategy genre. Total War is the game to beat. And they have Warhammer 2 and 3 lined up. They could definetly make a great RTS. But they have enough work already.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Holy fucking shit, best news ever!!!

I don't care if this uses Windows Store or Games for Windows Live, I'm buying it day one!
Please put it on Steam.

If we assume the reason MS is currently beta testing a Steam + XBL network API that allows non-intrusive crossplay support is that it wants to let the other shoe drop and release its remaining WinStore exclusives on Steam, which I do, then I'd say there's a good chance of the game launching on Steam if it's a Q1 2018 release or later (which is likely the case).

Tagyhag

They only showed the logos so who knows

DHx0PeLXcAA3en-.jpg

Woah, I missed this.

Hyped for AOE 3 remastered but what the hell is 2 going to be?

The Conquerors without the extra expansions? It's not like you can touch up the sprites, they're already perfect.

Hell, it's already going to be missing a bunch of mods.

sohois

So judging from the art, the game will span from the Roman era through to the end of the colonial era? Basically going from AoE 1 to AoE 3?

Creative Assembly could've been better, they have more experience with historical games. They also collaborated with Microsoft before.

Creative Assembly are fantastic in the Strategy genre. Total War is the game to beat. And they have Warhammer 2 and 3 lined up. They could definetly make a great RTS. But they have enough work already.

Makes sense, well with the MS funding I hope that they Relic will make a good game and do their research and really analyze what made the original AOE's great and build off of that.

Mirand

I figured the art in the trailer was a summary of the series' history. Wouldn't mind if 4 started at 1900 and ended in the modern day.

Tagyhag

I am aware, but there have been RTS' on console before

It'll come to Xbox eventually

Right, but try playing Age of Empires 2 on the PS2 and tell me that it controls well.

Had an Xbox version been announced, people would have rightfully been pissed because this has always been a PC franchise and having to downgrade to controller controls means the game was going to be bland as hell (Halo Wars).

Mrbob

This seems like a really weird pairing.

In an alternate timeline, Relic should've worked on Halo and CA on this.

This is an interesting point. Creative Assembly makes way more sense for an Age of Empires game and Relic could have been better suited for Halo Wars 2.

AOE IV announce are amazing but Relic game behind are a bad thing , they made some shit with Warhammer : Dawn of war 3 ... Game are a big disappointment ...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Right, but try playing Age of Empires 2 on the PS2 and tell me that it controls well.

Had an Xbox version been announced, people would have rightfully been pissed because this has always been a PC franchise and having to downgrade to controller controls means the game was going to be bland as hell (Halo Wars).

Nonetheless, it'll later come to consoles. It'll sell, so they'll do it.

sohois

Hoping that AoE2 definitive doesn't just fragment things further. You've already got multiplayer division between Hd and Voobly

aravuus

Holy fuck.

AoE 1-3 eras in a single game would be great. But in reality, just don't screw up the base/city-building and keep it like it was in 1 and 2 and I don't really care about the eras that much.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Now do the same Blizzard.

Warcraft trilogy remastered and Warcraft 4 announcement at Blizzcon.

Wow, I remember playing AoE II as a kid and being hyped when AoE III was announced.

I guess this is going to be some WWI stuff, extra points with their experience with BoA experience.

relic is much more exciting than creative assembly

the actual game of aoe is quite small-scale and requires a lot of polish and tight control, especially in multiplayer. it's basically the exactly same scale as starcraft but is played at a lower speed

creative assembly just makes stuff with huge battles that look pretty but play like crap

Top Bottom