• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

Durante

There's a big difference between consoles which have one de-facto standard gamepad layout, and PC's which just have an HID socket for all kinds of controllers.
Consoles have a standard gamepad layout. It's PCs that have a de-facto standard layout (the 360 one), which pretty much all input devices can be made to emulate at this point. Diversity of input devices is a weak excuse for no pad support.

There's a big difference between consoles which have one de-facto standard gamepad layout, and PC's which just have an HID socket for all kinds of controllers.

Its not that straightforward to ensure a uniform quality of usability, which is why they are electing not to claim it as a supported feature.

lol, the game is a simple 360 port. It took more effort to remove 360 pad support than to just leave it there.

They already addressed this specifically. It's a console memory limitation issue, wherein they needed the couple of MB that they were using to store both sets of animations (Shepard's movements with gun holstered vs with gun drawn) for other things. They wanted to keep both but felt the tradeoffs were worth it (I have no idea what the extra memory is being used for).

Wow, if we don't get 2 gigs for Xbox 3 and PS4 I might cry

I would argue it never makes sense for a TPS/FPS to have controller support (on console or not).
Well your argument is wrong

jett

D-Member

Its not that straightforward to ensure a uniform quality of usability, which is why they are electing not to claim it as a supported feature.

what is this crap

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Bullshit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Durante said:
Consoles have a standard gamepad layout. It's PCs that de-facto standard layout (the 360 one), which pretty much all input devices can be made to emulate at this point. Diversity of input devices is a weak excuse for no pad support.

LOL no.

Don't confuse something that may be mandated by "Games For Windows Live" or some other MS provided service with an actual standard.

They might provide the OS but there's no way they can, or should, enforce a "standard" based on their own proprietary pad layout. Especially not when there are decades worth of legacy input devices in circulation.

Haunted

Stop being a fucking apologist.

It's a bad decision, no one should defend this.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
LOL no.

Don't confuse something that may be mandated by "Games For Windows Live" or some other MS provided service with an actual standard.

They might provide the OS but there's no way they can, or should, enforce a "standard" based on their own proprietary pad layout. Especially not when there are decades worth of legacy input devices in circulation.

Games that aren't GFWL support this extensively. It is the de facto standard and specially for 360 ports. Microsoft didn't enforce shit, users and developers converged towards it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Haunted said:
Stop being a fucking apologist.

It's a bad decision, no one should defend this.

I'm not apologizing for anyone, I'm just pointing out why they aren't claiming pad support even though they know its capable of receiving it.

Durante

LOL no.

Do you know what "de facto" standard means? Hint: it's not an "actual" standard. Claiming that the 360 pad layout is not a de facto standard on PC is ludicrous.

Haunted

I'm not apologizing for anyone, I'm just pointing out why they aren't claiming pad support even though they know its capable of receiving it.

The 360 controller is the de facto standard on PC. Taking out 360 controller support from the game even though it is in other versions is inexcusable.

Excellent, at least that means if you want to play with a gamepad, you can.
Edit: This should be put in the OP and done.
Xpadder emulates the keyboard outside of the game, so it works with every piece of software, ever. They couldn't even prevent it from working without scrapping keyboard/mouse.

So yeah, not "done".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

You're telling me that BIOWARE, being backed by ELECTRONIC ARTS, is incapable of figuring out controller support, when the smallest indie and freeware games are able to do it, because it's not "standardized"? Bull fucking shit.

Ifrit

It really doesn't make that much sense, and it shouldn't be that hard. I'd prefer if they included the option for us PC comfy couchers, but I can't say KB/M controls aren't good

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Whatever guys. I shall take my USB->PS2 Pad controller bridges (which are input exact, but map the buttons differently) and get the hell out of here.

Too much rage, and I simply don't care to get into a row with people.

thefro

IMHO, it's just lazy to not even support it. I don't care if the controls I program don't match up with the prompts on screen, just give me the option.

I played ME1/2 with the KB/M, by the way.

RedSwirl

Come to think of it, I actually don't know what the UI of any of the Mass Effect games even looks like on 360. Anyone have screenshots to compare?

Anyway, I honestly don't care, as I did just fine with KB/M in the first two games, especially ME1, as for both games BioWare completely redid the UI around a mouse instead of a controller. It makes even less sense to try to have controller support for something like Dragon Age.

Davidion

Game plays fantastically in KB/m. That having been said, pad support seems to be an awfully strange thing to leave out of such a major release.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It sucks to not have it as an option but i don't care since i played all previous games with keyboard + mouse.

What personally piss me off is that PC controls still wont have shortcuts for all the different menus. Although i heard they put mouse wheel support this time... at least that's that. *sigh* =/

bengraven

For those DESPERATE, someone will patch.

But frankly I felt like aiming was really bad with the right thumbstick on ME1 Xbox and ME3 Xbox demo, so I'm okay with that.

Deal breaker.

I hate playing games with a kb/m. I was seriously considering going with the PC version this time, but nope, 360 version it is.

That's really stupid. Any know approximately how many hours it would take to implement? If it takes next to no effort to add in then it's inexcusable.

WTF BioWare. I played 1 & 2 on 360 but after setting up my PC in the living room recently I was considering grabbing a save file and going with PC. Not any more. What an absurd decision.

Man it really doesnt make sense, you'd think since they're already porting from 360 to begin with, this would be a no brainer...

That's really stupid. Any know approximately how many hours it would take to implement? If it takes next to no effort to add in then it's inexcusable.

Since the 360 pad controls were already in there for the 360 version and since the 360 pad Windows drivers likely operate exactly the same as they do on the XBOX 360, I would say it was more effort to pull the controls out than it would have been to keep them.

If 360 arcade games with indie developers can easily cross over with 360 controls intact, Bioware could have too. They just refuse too and I would really like to know why.

But I thought superior KB+M etc etc?

Ever tried using a mouse when sitting on this?
poang-chair__46190_PE142932_S4.jpg

Kb/m feels really good in ME3 but I'm forced to desing my own mouse mat clamp-on device.

Ledsen

There are many, MANY PC games that only support Xinput = the 360 controller, so why not ME3? There's no excuse.

daxy

ME1 and ME2 didn't have it either. How can you be outraged/surprised at this?

Just play it on console. If it's an issue that you won't be able to import your saves then obviously you've already 'suffered' through KB/M controls so you'll be able to do it again, no?

Perhaps the issue lies with the fact that they'd also have to add the controller interface/UI from consoles which may be an issue since the PC doesn't have a default controller/button scheme like the 360 and PS3 (but 360 pad comes close).

I personally don't mind. KB/M is the way to go.

Top Bottom