• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLG Unveils $16,700 Prize Pool for Mortal Kombat at Winter Championships

Via SRK

Following the initial announcement of Mortal Kombat as part of Major League Gaming’s 2012 Winter Championships, there have been no other details about the event pertaining to fighting games. Today, however, MLG broke its silence by announcing the prizes on offer for the top finishers in the MK tournament.

$16,700 is on the line in the Mortal Kombat Event at the Winter Championship.
1st = $6,000
2nd = $3,600
3rd = $2,400
4th = $1,600
5th/6th = $1,000
7th/8th = $550

This could of been SSF4AE or UMVC3 if Capcom and some idiots from the FGC didn't interfere. #ESPORTS

Mr Jared

This could of been SSF4AE or UMVC3 if Capcom and some idiots from the FGC didn't interfere. #ESPORTS

No, this wouldn't have happened for SSF4AE or Marvel ... because it would have been way larger ;)

I'm greatly looking forward to MLG Columbus. I can't wait to see how Mortal Kombat turns out but I've also always wanted to go to a Columbus event. I have fond memories of following the Halo scene and this specific event always produced some amazing plays.

Mr Jared

Capcom and IPL seems to have an agreement to something so that might not end up the biggest prize pot.

Yep. Capcom has given IGN Pro League the blessing for their Street Fighter x Tekken showmatch at SXSW (which I'm pestering people on a daily basis to send me to!). If that goes well it could lead to some awesome things.

No, this wouldn't have happened for SSF4AE or Marvel ... because it would have been way larger ;)

I'm greatly looking forward to MLG Columbus. I can't wait to see how Mortal Kombat turns out but I've also always wanted to go to a Columbus event. I have fond memories of following the Halo scene and this specific event always produced some amazing plays.

0wFZs.gif

CyReN

I'll be at the event, watched the MK tourney they had last year and it was a lot of fun. Hope to see some Gafers are one.

Duxxy3

If MK wants to go in that direction, that's up to that company and those players. It's a dying game that has no support outside of the U.S.

jbug617

Banned
Yep. Capcom has given IGN Pro League the blessing for their Street Fighter x Tekken showmatch at SXSW (which I'm pestering people on a daily basis to send me to!). If that goes well it could lead to some awesome things.

I think that's the beginning if the Jedi Robb tweets end up being true. I can see one event for Marvel and another event for AE2012.

Good for MK, glad its not anything else. Not interested in seeing FGC go all cyber athletics MLG eSports. It should be its own community, it's own league, have it's own tournaments. I know it's inevitable and will happen weather I like it or not but I'm old and stubborn and will back the Iluminati until I die.

Also, I dont like Sundance on a personal level and will not contribute to his wealth.

Yoona

Banned
I would like to see marvel getting more exposure in japan and europe but they have other games that fit their scene better... or they're just really bad at marvel :)

if they didn't think it was a shitty game, they'd be freeing the US right now like in every other game.

CPS2

On cross counter live they seemed to be really strongly hinting that MLG would pick up KoFXIII as well, it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

TGMIII

if they didn't think it was a shitty game, they'd be freeing the US right now like in every other game.

Uh, we don't think marvel is a shitty game for the most part. The competitive console community in europe has ALWAYS been small, PC tournaments like CPL,ESWC,ESL have dominated for years and still do. The problem is there isn't enough players to go around compared to the US.

Uh, we don't think marvel is a shitty game for the most part. The competitive console community in europe has ALWAYS been small, PC tournaments like CPL,ESWC,ESL have dominated for years and still do. The problem is there isn't enough players to go around compared to the US.

pretty sure the "beating the us" thing means he meant japan

Yoona

Banned

what?

Duxxy3

So when are they going to officially announce the other game(s)?

Like was previously said in the thread, i would expect KOF to be announced for MLG in the coming months.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Soul Calibur 5 and Tekken Tag 2 on the roster by the end of the year, assuming MK goes well.

jbug617

Banned
I heard that Capcom is not allowing their games to get picked up by MLG. Any reason's for that?

certain people who has influence over Capcom doesn't like MLG. Good thing there is another viable league in the US (IPL) and Capcom seems like they are going to support that instead

Row

Banned
If MK wants to go in that direction, that's up to that company and those players. It's a dying game that has no support outside of the U.S.

Hasn't MK candidly outsold every other "major" fighting game released this gen?

And having massive support "only" in the biggest market ain't bad

hamchan

certain people who has influence over Capcom doesn't like MLG. Good thing there is another viable league in the US (IPL) and Capcom seems like they are going to support that instead

IGN sway is more powerful than these people influencing Capcom, thank god.

It kinda is. This genre isn't known for it's legs. This whole thing could fall apart like a house of cards and having support in one region puts your franchise/series in a bad position compared to fighters with international appeal.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I own it, but I don't really play it.

Hard to say how well sales translate into competitive numbers. Most of the people who went for MK were gushing over the story mode and single player junk.

CyReN

I might be able to attend the MLG Columbus event. Is it worth checking out though? E-sports events seem so lame compared to FGC tournies.

If it's anything I work for Halo at the events, the events have gotten a lot bigger since the early 05/06 years. Here's a video my friend OZ made a video highlighting some of the stuff at events here.

mlg-anaheim-2011.JPG

If you are looking to spectate a weekend pass are $35, have tons of side activities too. If you ever have questions feel free to message me.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
When you think about it. MK is the only good fit for MLG. Every other game has it's what ifs and politics.

Top Bottom