• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Analysis [GIF Heavy]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Going frame by frame in that gameplay video... some definite screen tearing present. Hopefully they clean that up.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Going frame by frame in that gameplay video... some definite screen tearing present. Hopefully they clean that up.
Could it be possible that the screen tearing could have been a side effect of the capture hardware/video encoding? Though I wouldn't doubt it was actually in game with the game being pretty early in development still.*for nextgen*

Biker19

Banned
Most anticipated game for me! While I don't wanna sound like a stuck up poop nose, I do hope that X1 won't hold the PS4 back. Jesus, I would literally throw myself of the balcony !_!

Considering that Square-Enix is one of those big Japanese 3rd party publishers that are so in love on having better graphics (along with Capcom & probably Konami), fat chance that they'll let XBO hold PS4 back, as they'll most likely make PS4 the lead platform for most of their games just like they made PS3 lead platform with games such as FFXIII, FFXIII-2, & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Besides the video quality, it seems like the CG has changed a bit in terms of lightning and adding the guy in the background.

Also, who knows, the bottom screen might not be CG after all. :p

#teamrealtime

Voror

Yes, TGS per Nomura.

Going to be a wait, but at least we know it will be there. Before we might have hoped for the possibility.

I cannot wait for a demo of the game...with someone actually holding a controller and playing the game :v

I'd be surprised if we got that anytime before mid-2014 myself, but that will be very cool to see eventually.

Special Editions are a lock for Japan at least.

I would totally import a SE PS4 themed after Versus. Given Cloud got one, and Lightning got 2 PS3's, they better damn well give XV one.

Hmm, I may import then if the stuff included is nice.

I can't justify a whole system unless perhaps I had extra money by the time it came out. I'd guess it is very likely as well that this will get a special SE.

I might buy the inevitable Ultimania even if I won't be able to actually read any of it.

Famassu

I wonder if the "rural" areas are still in the game that could be seen in the 2011 trailers.
Quite likely, and looking better than ever. I don't think they've completely thrown around any environmental content, but have been upgrading what they've got. I mean, Nomura said around Fall 2011 that they had the world developed to such a stage that he could traverse all of it (and had actually just gone through it, though much/most of it still lacked actual content and were empty of monsters and such). I'd guess that's a shitton of content to let go to waste, so they are just improving assets, making changes to old ones instead of creating stuff from nothing again.

Also, I wonder if they will implement a world map in a traditional sense (FF 1-9), or if it'll be like FF x / FF 12 area based.
No, it doesn't have a world map, it's more like FFXII. I've got to say I wouldn't lump X & XII together as you have, FFXII's is a more coherent, interconnected world whereas FFX is not much better than XIII. FFXII was actually supposed to be a seamlessly streaming overworld (apart from going to cities and dungeons), but the PS2 just couldn't handle it.

Nomura said some years ago already that while initially they had a world map which they were testing out (though, a much bigger one in scale than old school FFs had, so big that Nomura said he actually got lost trying to find some village or something), they had made a decision to change it to be more of the style of Final Fantasy ????? because Nomura was really impressed by it (the "????" is Famitsu's doing, one interview literally had a part where they showed Nomura saying "we changed it to be more like FF????", because for some reason they couldn't show what FF it was).

Though we never got a confirmation, it's pretty clear from trailers that he meant Final Fantasy XII. And while it does take inspiration from FFXII's real-scale overworld, it's not supposed to be as area-based (wasn't on PS3 and with PS4 I believe they can probably go even further) as they were trying to make the game have as few loading screens as possible. With PS4 they might be able to eliminate loading screens altogether.

Zukuu

Banned
Quite likely, and looking better than ever. I don't think they've completely thrown around any environmental content, but have been upgrading what they've got. I mean, Nomura said around Fall 2011 that they had the world developed to such a stage that he could traverse all of it (and had actually just gone through it, though much/most of it still lacked actual content and were empty of monsters and such). I'd guess that's a shitton of content to let go to waste, so they are just improving assets, making changes to old ones instead of creating stuff from nothing again.

No, it doesn't have a world map, it's more like FFXII. I've got to say I wouldn't lump X & XII together as you have, FFXII's is a more coherent, interconnected world whereas FFX is not much better than XIII. FFXII was actually supposed to be a seamlessly streaming overworld (apart from going to cities and dungeons), but the PS2 just couldn't handle it.

Nomura said some years ago already that while initially they had a world map which they were testing out (though, a much bigger one in scale than old school FFs had, so big that Nomura said he actually got lost trying to find some village or something), they had made a decision to change it to be more of the style of Final Fantasy ????? because Nomura was really impressed by it (the "????" is Famitsu's doing, one interview literally had a part where they showed Nomura saying "we changed it to be more like FF????", because for some reason they couldn't show what FF it was).

Though we never got a confirmation, it's pretty clear from trailers that he meant Final Fantasy XII. And while it does take inspiration from FFXII's real-scale overworld, it's not supposed to be as area-based (wasn't on PS3 and with PS4 I believe they can probably go even further) as they were trying to make the game have as few loading screens as possible. With PS4 they might be able to eliminate loading screens altogether.

Thanks for the info. I dunno about FF XII. Recently replayed it and I'm not a fan of its structure. FF X and XIII have nothing in common tho. FF X is much more open and you can actually backtrack and go left and side. You can finish FF XIII by pretty much using only "up". :X However, I'm certain that the PS4 jump allows for "real" worlds instead of the FF 12 areas. They always felt just like that... "areas". No transition, everything caged and stark. Tho, FF XII got the towns damn right. Loved how detailed they were.

It's a shame that no recent RPG (at least 3D ones) going for world maps anymore. I LOVE world maps. That's the only reason I might buy Ni No Kuni, despite hating the setting and characters - it has a splendid world map! World maps are so great, I want a world map in my world map. ಠ_ರೃ.

Famassu

Thanks for the info. I dunno about FF XII. Recently replayed it and I'm not a fan of its structure.
It has a great structure, imo, but like I said it's pretty clearly gimped by PS2, they had to limit the game to smaller areas that connect to a complex set of locations. You can notice that it was supposed to have a streaming world from certain parts that seem like "why is there even a loading screen here"

FF X and XIII have nothing in common tho. FF X is much more open and you can actually backtrack and go left and side.
Not really. FFX is often just as linear as FFXIII. The only real difference is the ability to backtrack and having towns with actual NPCs you can interact with (I mean, those ARE somewhat big differences, but they don't really have anything to do with the actual "level" design, but are more about how the game is structured).

You can finish FF XIII by pretty much using only "up". :X
To be fair, some FFXIII locations have some paths that go WAY further away from the main path than FFX's ever does. Plus, you know, after arriving to Gran Pulse the game does open up a bit.

However, I'm certain that the PS4 jump allows for "real" worlds instead of the FF 12 areas.They always felt just like that... "areas". No transition, everything caged and stark. Tho, FF XII got the towns damn right. Loved how detailed they were.
Eh? I don't agree with you. If anything, FFXII's overworld still felt the most coherent one out of all FFs. It was as if they had made a fully realized (part of the) world and they just had to cut it to pieces because it wasn't meant to be on PS2. It's much more open & interconnected a world than FFX's. With PS3-FFVsXIII they were basically aiming for FFXII, but bigger & more seamless (but still with some loading screens between huge areas). Hopefully with PS4-FFXV they are going even further.

Zukuu

Banned
Eh? I don't agree with you. If anything, FFXII's overworld still felt the most coherent one out of all FFs. It was as if they had made a fully realized (part of the) world and they just had to cut it to pieces because it wasn't meant to be on PS2. It's much more open & interconnected a world than FFX's. With PS3-FFVsXIII they were basically aiming for FFXII, but bigger & more seamless (but still with some loading screens between huge areas). Hopefully with PS4-FFXV they are going even further.
Well I mean you clearly have an "area" feel - not just due to the loading screens. You get from a desert to a wood as if it's nothing. I also always had the feel to be in a area. FF X got the "size" of the world better imo (even tho not realistically in proportion like FF XII). Those long paths really made it like a grand journey imo. And yeah, towns are a biggie. Even the "hallways" FF X featured were much more open / wide. And Grand Pulse was ONE area (okay 2 if you consider the side part as well). It was just a big area for hunting quests, but nothing more sadly.

---------
Those a 100% in engine renders instead of CGI. A shame tho, I always thought the CGI's in FF games were among the best about it (except in FF XIII). You just have to use them correctly and not too often (FF 7-10 got that right).

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling Stella's portrait in the new trailer won't look like her at all in game.

Also, here's the Idola guy:

They did say that some parts of the announcement trailers are target renders right? Maybe these are the quality that they hope to achieve but in real time via Luminous. Or just re done CGI. They had so much time anyways (with their pre-rendered to real time to pre rendered changes).

Road

Noctis and co don't seem to bleed when taking hits.

Noctis' blood is red:

ffxv-blood.png

Or at least I think this is his blood.

And the worst part about seeing frame by frame is all the clipping. Maybe next-next-gen...

I hope you can change costumes. In the earlier trailers,I think Noctis was wearing a leather jacket and seemed more serious. Now he's kinda casual Noctis, but still not too bad.

Also, where are the high res photos at?

Yasae

Banned
I don't like the change in lighting for the CG. It's gotten softer.. Which immediately reminds me of FF XIII.

Zoe

I hope you can change costumes. In the earlier trailers,I think Noctis was wearing a leather jacket and seemed more serious. Now he's kinda casual Noctis, but still not too bad.

The clothing was changed due to the partnership with Roen.

Ravage

Fantastic job with the analysis. Gameplay looks great so far, definitely reminds me of KH with more mobility and party control.

Can't believe i was trapped in a country with shitty internet for the entire E3 week ;(

Okay, so the Behemoths have red blood, Noctis and co. have red blood, but the soldiers don't?

What's up with that? Some kind of mutation?

Voror

I'm kind of curious about the possibility of changing outfits as well, though I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't. Still, it'd be pretty cool to fight with Noctis in that suit.

It's not like the game is coming out this year anyway.

Also they have bigger problems to worry about then just graphics.

Like not having enemies fall threw the floor, and not having car doors turn into paper and drift away when Noctis goes Def Jam on some fool.

I'm kind of curious about the possibility of changing outfits as well, though I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't. Still, it'd be pretty cool to fight with Noctis in that suit.

I'm sure Noctis will fight in his formal suit at least once. The invasion scene during the party in Lucis will almost assuredly still be in the game, and I seriously doubt Noctis is going to be wearing his casual clothes to that party.

I think you'll get your wish. :)

dramatis

Well I mean you clearly have an "area" feel - not just due to the loading screens. You get from a desert to a wood as if it's nothing. I also always had the feel to be in a area. FF X got the "size" of the world better imo (even tho not realistically in proportion like FF XII). Those long paths really made it like a grand journey imo. And yeah, towns are a biggie. Even the "hallways" FF X featured were much more open / wide. And Grand Pulse was ONE area (okay 2 if you consider the side part as well). It was just a big area for hunting quests, but nothing more sadly.
Except the desert areas never connected with woods in 12.

Shortest path from a desert to a wood in 12 is: Estersand --> Mosphoran Highwaste (rocky humid area) --> Salikawood. The transition is by no means "nothing" or even jarring (barring the path of the jungle to Paramina Rift).

The same "feeling of an area" is more prominent in 10 because of the fixed camera angle and limited size of locations. Thunder Plains appears much bigger in 10-2's pre-rendered scenes than it does in the actual game, as do Luca and Bevelle. One sparkly wood connects the plains, the ice area, the biggest city in Spira, and the rocky wasteland in one fell swoop. I don't see how you can think 10 got the size of the world better and made it feel like a grand journey and yet consider travel in 12 to feel 'area like'.

Road

*looks at Lightning*

I don't think you should be worried about costumes.

Bunch of pictures

Noctis injured/low HP:

Some weapons.

Lance:
ffxv-gameplay-0339lan2ku3n.jpg

Sword:
ffxv-gameplay-2146swoxmqz6.jpg

Sword 2:
ffxv-gameplay-2427swouepka.jpg

Short Sword:
ffxv-gameplay-2477shojtqov.jpg

Spear:
ffxv-gameplay-2647speiqqvx.jpg

"Buster Sword":
ffxv-gameplay-2711busp3uhr.jpg

"Buster Sword 2":
ffxv-gameplay-3433busdxugh.jpg

Knife:
ffxv-gameplay-3649kniemrp3.jpg

And the back of the Iron Giant is so detailed:

sn00zer

Can anyone do a sided by side video of the same scenes from the old and new cg

Also I really liked that the FFXV trailer was a recreation of the original trailer in real time

HeelPower

my brain is melting from the detail on the swords...Also i really wouldn't worry about the game's graphical quality..when has a mainline FF looked bad for its time ?

Famassu

I wish the character models were as detailed as this...
Their clothes are relatively simple, but the character models will 100% surely be improved by the time of release, so I wouldn't worry about that. The current models still looked like they've been taken almost straight from the PS3 version.

Their clothes are relatively simple, but the character models will 100% surely be improved by the time of release, so I wouldn't worry about that. The current models still looked like they've been taken almost straight from the PS3 version.

I was gonna say that actually, this isn't representative of the final game at all.

I'm curious how the blonde guy with the gun is going to play exactly. There wasn't as much of him, outside of his 'assist', da epic slide, and him taking cover.

Game is looking amazing already. Great analysis on the weapons and spotting battle damage. Best thing now is because it is officially FFXV, it wont be getting the back seat anymore.

This game is Square's redemption in my eyes.

RedSwirl

I don't really get why so many people are excited for this to be honest.

Graphically, the video definitely gives away that this was still a game developed on PS3 and them upgraded to PS4. Overall the whole thing just looks very similar to FFXIII, and I can't really make much of the gamepaly. Looks very cinematic.

Just saying. I haven't seen anything to make me confident about Square's console development ability here.

Voror

Game is looking amazing already. Great analysis on the weapons and spotting battle damage. Best thing now is because it is officially FFXV, it wont be getting the back seat anymore.

This game is Square's redemption in my eyes.

And as mentioned, it will likely only improve in terms of its visuals.

In many ways, it sort of needs to be a redemption for the series. Like it or not, XIII I think damaged the brand in some ways. The game was a success in terms of sales, but generally not held in the highest regard by many fans. The debacle that was XIV didn't help either, but 2.0 at least seems to be going in a much better direction.

That said, this is a new gen and as such a chance for SE to perhaps recapture some of that magic they had in the past where they could be relied upon to deliver great games without too much skepticism from gamers. I think SE may understand this to a degree and some of their openness about it such as Nomura's apology present this.

If the game fails, then that could be a massive blow, especially given how long it has been since the game was announced. I'm certainly worried despite my excitement because I can't think of any games that have been in development hell for so long that didn't end up being disappointments when they eventually came out. Though part of that may be due to high expectations, which we should probably try to keep in check as hard as that may be.

Or I'm off base with all this. Sorry for rambling in any case.

Zukuu

Banned
That doesn't really look like a spear o_O. Well the Lance will make up for it. Not sure if I want to use all the weapons. Dagger / Knife seems pretty lackluster.

Exentryk

That doesn't really look like a spear o_O. Well the Lance will make up for it. Not sure if I want to use all the weapons. Dagger / Knife seems pretty lackluster.

I'm just gonna fill it up with the highest DPS weapon. The Linkform will be deadly.

Voror

Yeah, I'm a bit curious what the deal with most of the weapons seeming to have engines on them is for. It gives me vibes from Nero's Red Queen in DMC 4.

There must be some incentive for using them. Speed maybe or multiple attacks with smaller damage?

And as mentioned, it will likely only improve in terms of its visuals.

In many ways, it sort of needs to be a redemption for the series. Like it or not, XIII I think damaged the brand in some ways. The game was a success in terms of sales, but generally not held in the highest regard by many fans. The debacle that was XIV didn't help either, but 2.0 at least seems to be going in a much better direction.

That said, this is a new gen and as such a chance for SE to perhaps recapture some of that magic they had in the past where they could be relied upon to deliver great games without too much skepticism from gamers. I think SE may understand this to a degree and some of their openness about it such as Nomura's apology present this.

If the game fails, then that could be a massive blow, especially given how long it has been since the game was announced. I'm certainly worried despite my excitement because I can't think of any games that have been in development hell for so long that didn't end up being disappointments when they eventually came out. Though part of that may be due to high expectations, which we should probably try to keep in check as hard as that may be.

Or I'm off base with all this. Sorry for rambling in any case.
I have a hard time calling it "development hell," because I think that implies that the game itself was troubled. For the most part, the issue was that the other teams at Square were having problems, so the XV (then VsXIII of course) team couldn't actually work on their game.

Square, Nomura specifically, definitely has a lot riding on this game, though. It would be really bad for the company to be seen as screwing up an entire generation and then starting the next one on the wrong foot. For Nomura, it would be embarrassing to finally get the keys to the company car, so to speak, and then drive it into a ditch (though some say it's already there).

It's hard to really gauge the game, since the next gen consoles are many, many times more powerful than the last consoles his projects have been on, and thus can allow for a much more ambitious design and scale. I'm really excited, personally, but I can understand peoples' hesitation if they aren't too keen on Kingdom Hearts.

Pooya

It's not a spear, it's called Pile bunker or something like that IIRC.

Apath

Damn I'd kill for this to be a launch title. On one hand it's great that it's just going to get better and better. On the other hand I want it now.

Easily my most anticipated title.

in-Game assets are a lot worse:

iqE9GI1grnsAf.JPG

Maybe they toned down the CGi quality to decrease the difference bwteen gameplay and FMV.

My only problem with what they showed. Seriously the character models/polycount are bad during realtime. But with all the other effects running it is easy to overlook this. Everything else looks perfect! Please fix the character models, they look all over the place with the lighting and motion blur.

Top Bottom