• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You really get an "alternate history" feel from these screens. You can see how it took the building blocks of RE1's gameplay and storyline and would have taken the series in a slightly different direction.

For one thing: putting Claire Redfield in the game set a precedent that it was all about a smaller, interconnected group of protagonists...

I'd love to see the one that there's a video demo online of. The one with the baby dolls that attack you. It seemed awesome.

That was like the only level they made before they scrapped it. So while it would be nice to play it, we've already seen what there is to see from it.

I don't understand. The fan group is releasing their currently edited unstable "version" of RE1.5 and will continue to work on and finish their final "version" of RE1.5 later? If so I'll wait for the finished version. I really wanna play 1.5 but I want to play a "working" semi completed version too.

televator

Is this the real life? Is this really happening?

Classic RE game that I haven't played yet... In the current day and age of total shitification of this series I say inject this in my veins now! Let me remember how it felt to play a new RE game back when the series was still good.

randomwab

-Devil May Cry
-Hookman
-Fog
-Final version

Those are the only ones I know. Where did Haunting Ground come from?

There was another version between Fog and Final which was never shown. A lot of Haunting Grounds castle, as well as the design of Fiona and the dog, came from the Fog version I believe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Title is a bit misleading.. How many people are going to assume that this project is done?

kunonabi

to be frank that all just sounds like you don't really like RE2 that much

but you might have hated this way more for all you know, regardless of how much you like what's on paper

It's possible but good portion of my gripes with re2 were simply not present with re1.5.
RE1.5 would have had to be really awful for me not to like it better than 2.

So its basically a fan hack? Worthless :S

There's no other way to play a complete RE 1.5 without being a fan hack. They're trying to be very close to the original game and when is complete it will be the closest will get of the original project...how's that worthless?

It's possible but good portion of my gripes with re2 were simply not present with re1.5.
RE1.5 would have had to be really awful for me not to like it better than 2.

Both Mikami and Kamiya though it was awful. If the creators though it was awful I don't think I really wanted it instead of RE2. (also RE2 looked way better than 1.5)

Right now I'm very ineterested because it will be the last old school RE game will be get.

Jackpot

Banned
So what can people get working? So far there are no pick-uppable items, meaning no room progression. Flipping through the debug menu it seems there's only the police station to explore.

I don't understand. The fan group is releasing their currently edited unstable "version" of RE1.5 and will continue to work on and finish their final "version" of RE1.5 later? If so I'll wait for the finished version. I really wanna play 1.5 but I want to play a "working" semi completed version too.

This release was mainly to stop a well-known crazy person in the community from flogging their work on ebay.

dab0ne

Is this the real life? Is this really happening?

Classic RE game that I haven't played yet... In the current day and age of total shitification of this series I say inject this in my veins now! Let me remember how it felt to play a new RE game back when the series was still good.

This^^^

I want to feel the way I did the first time I played Resi 1 and 2. Other games made me a gamer but Resi 2 made me passionate about the medium.

There was another version between Fog and Final which was never shown. A lot of Haunting Grounds castle, as well as the design of Fiona and the dog, came from the Fog version I believe.

That's interesting, I always thought the Fog version was the last version before the final game, the trailer has the final logo and Leon design and generally seems a bit further looking.

I suppose the fog definitely belongs in a game that isn't the "third-person slow DOOM" that RE4 ended up being, though.

Can't really get that far but it is interesting! Alot of it is still broken atm.

Sounds like it's best to wait for a more complete version then. I do really appreciated this teams work though. It must not have been easy to track down the original files, work on it and keep it secret. Truly magical in this day and age.

randomwab

Nosed about a bit through the build. Seems like a lot is still missing. There's only one room of the second floor, and two rooms of the third. None of what I assume to be their rooms are linked up yet, so it's messy to play around. As for the sewers, there are basically three rooms for Leon and a single room for Elza. About half of the factory is here too including the Birkin boss fight, and about half of the labs.

Still a lot to go on their part. In my own opinion, if you're on the fence about playing or waiting for their final build...wait.

News Bot

Banned
Not really. RE1.5 was far more progressive in terms of mechanics than RE2. The new things re2 tried weren't implemented that well either. Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire. The atmosphere also looked much better since it actually looked like a police station instead of that retrofitted art museum bullshit we got with RE2.

It wasn't "progressive" at all. The reason many of the 1.5 mechanics didn't make it into BH2 is because they broke the balance of the game or simply detracted from the whole survival horror aspect too much. Elza's character is pretty much the exact same as Claire. The latter only has a different name, history and appearance, but their personality and role is the same.

They didn't completely scrap 1.5 and then release BH2 because they wanted to push out an inferior product. It was scrapped because it didn't live up to expectations and they knew they'd get pretty beaten down with negative reviews.

Is there any pics/videos of the Devil May Cry version of RE4?

I've seen the Fog trailer and the famous hookman footage but never from the original

Devil May Cry is pretty much only slightly changed from when it was still BIOHAZARD 4.

Jackpot

Banned
Nosed about a bit through the build. Seems like a lot is still missing. There's only one room of the second floor, and two rooms of the third. None of what I assume to be their rooms are linked up yet, so it's messy to play around. As for the sewers, there are basically three rooms for Leon and a single room for Elza. About half of the factory is here too including the Birkin boss fight, and about half of the labs.

Still a lot to go on their part. In my own opinion, if you're on the fence about playing or waiting for their final build...wait.

How do you access rooms past the RPD?

televator

Not really. RE1.5 was far more progressive in terms of mechanics than RE2. The new things re2 tried weren't implemented that well either. Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire. The atmosphere also looked much better since it actually looked like a police station instead of that retrofitted art museum bullshit we got with RE2.

I gotta say that the screen for 1.5 were more intriguing to me and RE2 ended up being my least played in the series. Something about it just doesn't feel quite right to me... and I think it has a lot to do with many of the characters and their designs (specifically the enemies) and many environments.

Anyway, I hope that when the final build comes out, they consider doing like the Dreamcast home brew scene and release cases and manuals that mimic retail releases.

Neff

Those are the only ones I know. Where did Haunting Ground come from?

Demento/Haunting Ground is based on level designs from 'Hookman'.

I was super-excited for this back in '97, and I'm looking forward to trying it, but yes, there's several very good reasons why it was scrapped in favour of the finished version.

dab0ne

I gotta say that the screen for 1.5 were more intriguing to me and RE2 ended up being my least played in the series. Something about it just doesn't feel quite right to me... and I think it has a lot to do with many of the characters and their designs (specifically the enemies) and many environments.

Anyway, I hope that when the final build comes out, they consider doing like the Dreamcast home brew scene and release cases and manuals that mimic retail releases.

I would back that kickstarter.

News Bot

Banned
Demento/Haunting Ground is based on level designs from 'Hookman'.

It isn't.

However, the base scenario for Demento was written by Noboru Sugimura, who also wrote the BH4 Castle version which involved a girl and a dog. It's pretty much a no-brainer that this heavily influenced Demento, but in terms of assets and such, Demento uses nothing from any version of BH4. They were handled by completely different people in completely separate departments.

randomwab

It isn't.

However, the base scenario for Demento was written by Noboru Sugimura, who also wrote the BH4 Castle version which involved a girl and a dog. It's pretty much a no-brainer that this heavily influenced Demento, but in terms of assets and such, Demento uses nothing from any version of BH4. They were handled by completely different people in completely separate departments.

Ah, my mistake on that too. Thought there was more of a crossover other than the scenario writer.

News Bot

Banned
Ah, my mistake on that too. Thought there was more of a crossover other than the scenario writer.

CAPCOM went on trips to Spanish castles for their reference material on creating the castles of the Devil May Cry and Castle versions of BH4, I think it's possible that this material became shared among CAPCOM as a whole and may have influenced the similar-ish designs in Demento and BH5's Lost In Nightmares.

Neff

It isn't.

The circular balcony and the dining room from Hookman are in Demento, albeit remodelled and retextured, so some design work did carry over. Several other rooms also share similarities.

Also I'm pretty sure the RE4 dog is a nod to Hewie.

SkylineRKR

can anyone detail and explain to me what this version was supposed to be like? How does it differ from the released version of RE2?

It had Elza Walker, a student and biker girl instead of Claire Redfield. Kendo the weapon shop owner had a leading role as well IIRC. The game had different settings, it looked modern and less gothic than final RE2. Enemies would also climb out of manholes and were more varied I think, but graphically the game was weaker (closer to RE1).

EDIT:

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Biohazard_1.5

News Bot

Banned
The circular balcony and the dining room from Hookman are in Demento, albeit remodelled and retextured, so some design work did carry over. Several other rooms also share similarities.

Already explained it. They aren't Demento. Similarities aside, they weren't remodeled or retextured by completely separate individuals who knew nothing of each other's work in completely separate departments. It's an assumption, not a completely unfounded one, but it's untrue.

The dog is a nod to Hewie though, and Hewie himself is based on the dog from the BH4 Castle version. Fiona is also based on the blonde girl in that version, but with more ridiculous clothing and a superior face.

kunonabi

It wasn't "progressive" at all. The reason many of the 1.5 mechanics didn't make it into BH2 is because they broke the balance of the game or simply detracted from the whole survival horror aspect too much. Elza's character is pretty much the exact same as Claire. The latter only has a different name, history and appearance, but their personality and role is the same.

They didn't completely scrap 1.5 and then release BH2 because they wanted to push out an inferior product. It was scrapped because it didn't live up to expectations and they knew they'd get pretty beaten down with negative reviews.

Devil May Cry is pretty much only slightly changed from when it was still BIOHAZARD 4.

Well RE2 didn't end up being all that great at SH either and more elements made it from 1.5 to the rest of the series than anything re2 brought in. Much of what I hate about Claire is her appearance and history. I didn't care for Court's performance either since she came off as more a child molester than anything else. What I've seen of Elza from the pre-release and this demo already make me like her better Claire.

RE1.5 could have been shit but it I have laundry list of issues with how RE2 turned out. I'm not saying re1.5 was better but it certainly looked better than what we got.

I'm not saying they made the wrong decision as RE2 was gigantic hit but it wasn't what I personally wanted out of the series.

News Bot

Banned
Well RE2 didn't end up being all that great at SH either and more elements made it from 1.5 to the rest of the series than anything re2 brought in. Much of what I hate about Claire is her appearance and history. I didn't care for Court's performance either since she came off as more a child molester than anything else. What I've seen of Elza from the pre-release and this demo already make me like her better Claire.

RE1.5 could have been shit but it I have laundry list of issues with how RE2 turned out. I'm not saying re1.5 was better but it certainly looked better than what we got.

I'm not saying they made the wrong decision as RE2 was gigantic hit but it wasn't what I personally wanted out of the series.

That sure explains why BH2 was the best selling game in the franchise for a long time, something they knew 1.5 wouldn't be. Not that it was a functionally bad game, just inferior. No elements from 1.5 made it into any games in the series, I've yet to see any actual examples of this.

Also, are you seriously having a go at BH2's voice acting as if it's somehow worse than 1.5 was going to be? Have you not seen Elza's "A secret entrannceee?" video? BH2 is a master-class in acting by comparison.

Resident Evil 2 is probably my favorite of the classic RE, I remember the old pics in magazines waiting for RE2 even had the Official Playstation Magazine demo disc of the original trailer. Watching the old trailers in comparison to the playing the full release looked so janky in retrospect, I can see why they overhauled it.

Endesu

I remember being hyped about this for years now. Definitely thrilled to see it released in a (somewhat) playable form, although I'm expecting Capcom to come down on it hard before they manage to finish it up.

Is there any sound in this release?

Mithos

News Bot

Banned
And still areas in Demento looks like they have been taken out of BH4 fog version trailer, might just be a coincidence but they look to similar to not be copied in some way.

Sure might be a tad stretchy but they look similar.
Demento (11.28 ish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzDedhngXE
BH4 Fog: (00:18 ish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nFKfGbbRVg

Because they're likely based on the same reference material. The actual work itself is unrelated. Here's the comments from BH4's chief planner, who was also in charge of the stages:

@Klarden Demento differs in a development department. We did not know what they would make.

@Klarden Demento is not related at all in the biohazard 4.

@Klarden The version in which a girl appears, and a hook man are not related at all.

His English aside, you can get the point.

Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire.

EckvNs0.jpg

SkylineRKR

First footage I saw back then was from 1.5. So I expected that game. Then when I got RE2 it looked very different from the preview pics. I actually think Elza looked terrible.

I think they didn't can RE1.5 for the sake of it, Mikami and Kamiya aren't retarded. They must have had their reasons. RE2 as it was became one of my PS1 favourites. Its a great game still, enjoyed the PSN version a few years back. Leon A felt really tame and easy nowadays but the B-scenarios are where its at.

Top Bottom