• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

XandBosch

I guess it's better to get an AC announcement like three months away from release than eight months prior, so I'll give Nintendo the benefit with holding off. Metroid and Pokémon were mentioned early to appease the complainers, but otherwise they've been pretty hush.

People who were expecting Animal Crossing were being naive and delusional. Animal Crossing is one of their biggest franchises now. No way that's getting announced when Mario is a month away. It'll probably be announced next E3 or in like March, to be released in Summer or Fall.

New Leaf didn't come out until two years after 3DS did. People forget.

The_Lump

Banned
They're certainly not instilling much confidence

Since when is September the official time to announce your line up for the year *after* the holidays?

I feel like a lot of people were expecting e3 scale event, when this was pretty openly a "here's what's coming this winter".

oti

Banned
Meh. The only thing I got out of that was Mario having nipples

image.php

Seik

Banned
Up there with the most disappointing presentations I've ever wasted my time on. A bit melodramatic I know, but I just recently got a Switch. The hell am I supposed to do with this thing besides Zelda?

I strongly recommend selling your system while it's still valuable, maybe it's just not for you at this point.

igor

Genuinely baffling that Mario Party Top 100 is not on Nintendo Switch. I mean. The joy cons. The platform is perfect. Seriously Nintendo?

That aside - Doom and Wolfenstein - Super, Octopath - from me having zero interest in the title to really look forward to the demo. TBH with Builders 2 announced I expected the first one to surprise launch today. Spring 2018 is quite late IMO.

I was really hoping they start packing punches and delivering with these revelations but that was kinda it. I am disappointed.

Also genuinely torn about Xenoblade 2 - the world and the battle system looks genuinely great but the story, design, characters and that dreadful voice over makes me wonder if I am going to enjoy the game at all. It looks like a massive downgrade overall. Even enemy animations looked low budget IMO.

-No updates at all about the system itself or OS
-No VC
-No new game announcements (don't @ me - ports of old stuff or pseudo-indies aren't new games ^_^)

-Boring as hell Xenoblade block
-No Platinum (even though I don't particularly care about it)
-No Smash

1/10

Yeah those were my biggest gripes. I'm not gonna say it was a nothingburger/let-down Direct cause Xenoblade 2 + Snipper Clips DLC kinda made it for me, but there really was so much more they could have injected in here. Bayo+W101 or Luigi's Mansion 3, or Animal Crossing Switch (Prime 4 style) teaser would have done wonders.

ALSO WHY DOES GOLF STORY NOT HAVE AN ACTUAL RELEASE DATE YET? D:

With all that said, Octopath demo was a suuuuper nice and left-field surprise.

ChrisD

hrrrrrmmmmm

I have GS credit, so I feel like I should hold out for it to go up there
But I have GCU and a $15 reward cert that expires in like November, so I feel like I need to use it.

Threw an order in, guess I can cancel if need-be. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: Okay yeah, $70.19 after-tax for a $100 LE is probably the best route here. It would cost me $116 at GameStop, better to save the $70 credit I have there for other stuff.

I remember the time when Nintendo hid Monado's announcement behind the E3 press kit. Now Xenoblade gets almost 10 mins dedicated to it on one of the year's biggest directs. Monolithsoft must be proud.

Anyone who thought that Nintendo would announce more major 1st party games the month before Mario Odyssey comes out is out of their minds.

Xeno looked really unimpressive to me still. Octopath looked great, as did Odyssey.

No Smash port hurt, as it's probably one of the only ports I'd buy for it. And I don't even want to get into no VC

Doom and Wolfenstein 2 were both surprising, though I will probably stick to just playing them on PC unless the ports are really, really good. Wish Evil Within 2 was on there as well, but considering how the first one performed that might be an impossible task.

Super excited about the Octopath and Etrian Odyssey V demos.

FiveSide

Banned
The "Resident Evil" banner on the outline got me pretty hyped. Then they finally got to it, and I completely forgot that it'd just be the Revelations games. Man, I was really hoping for RE4.

Animal Crossing MIA was completely unexpected. Thought there'd be at least something, either a mobile game, 3DS, Switch, just...something. Maybe there was, and I just missed it.

At this point, I'm seriously considering that Nintendo simply won't have a virtual console. They might be trying to figure out some other way of monetizing those catalogue games, whether by building up the NES/SNES product line further, or possibly releasing them in collections a la Sega's approach to Genesis games.

I'm happy for Mario fans, because Odyssey is shaping up to be a banner game. Shame we didn't hear any more, even a trailer, about Metroid Prime 4 though.

Octopath's visuals are a real eyecatcher. Almost 3D Dot Game Heroes-ish. Kind of hope the Tokyo RPG Factory games end up going in that direction.

Mother 3 MIA but I think it's time to let that one go. Meh.

The Bethesda support is very welcome and I really hope Switch owners don't leave them hanging. They're taking the place that Ubisoft had early in the Wii U's life, and I suspect a LOT of potential 3rd-party support is hinging on how the Bethesda games do.

Interesting that Wolfenstein is coming over, but not Evil Within 2. Would be really interested to find out if (a) Beth doesn't think it'd be successful on the Switch, given the horror focus (which is a bit ironic given that Resident Evil was a huge part of the GameCube library); or (b) Beth can't get it running, on a technical level, on the Switch.

Overall it was a solid, if safe, Direct. Nintendo's doing a decent job of building the Switch library at the moment, but I'm still not convinced to pick one up again after selling mine when I beat Zelda.

Genuinely baffling that Mario Party Top 100 is not on Nintendo Switch. I mean. The joy cons. The platform is perfect. Seriously Nintendo?

If there's a new, tentpole Mario Party coming on the Switch in the not too distant future, they might think having MPT100 on Switch as well might cannibalize it.

oti

Banned

My uncle's dog works at Nintendo. Here's the HOT SCOOP on Mario Party Switch: They're working on an all new Mario Party for Switch.

Whoah.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Still in switxh soft launch.

No online details. No os updates. No themes. No expanded app functionality. No vc. No details on legacy content.

I'll continue to wait.. :/

Was hoping for VC support, but did enjoy what they showed for Project Octopath Traveler, besides that only other game I'm excited for is Xenoblade Chronicles. Already purchasing Wolfenstein 2 on PS4 and own Doom on PS4 so no need for me to buy the Switch versions.

DMONKUMA

Did Xenoblade have more time dedicated to it than Mario?

Direct was overall good as far as Switch stuff is concerned, riding care for 3DS stuff.

Excited to try the octopath demo. Mario looks good, Kirby looks fantastic and Xenoblade looks great as well. Was expecting platinum but it's alright.

They can do teasers when ever they want guys lol. They just didn't want to tease something that releasing in the far future.

You'll forget this direct eventually anyways, just sit back and enjoy the holidays

XandBosch

The "Resident Evil" banner on the outline got me pretty hyped. Then they finally got to it, and I completely forgot that it'd just be the Revelations games. Man, I was really hoping for RE4.

Animal Crossing MIA was completely unexpected.Thought there'd be at least something, either a mobile game, 3DS, Switch, just...something. Maybe there was, and I just missed it.

At this point, I'm seriously considering that Nintendo simply won't have a virtual console. They might be trying to figure out some other way of monetizing those catalogue games, whether by building up the NES/SNES product line further, or possibly releasing them in collections a la Sega's approach to Genesis games.

I'm happy for Mario fans, because Odyssey is shaping up to be a banner game. Shame we didn't hear any more, even a trailer, about Metroid Prime 4 though.

Octopath's visuals are a real eyecatcher. Almost 3D Dot Game Heroes-ish. Kind of hope the Tokyo RPG Factory games end up going in that direction.

Mother 3 MIA but I think it's time to let that one go. Meh.

The Bethesda support is very welcome and I really hope Switch owners don't leave them hanging. They're taking the place that Ubisoft had early in the Wii U's life, and I suspect a LOT of potential 3rd-party support is hinging on how the Bethesda games do.

Interesting that Wolfenstein is coming over, but not Evil Within 2. Would be really interested to find out if (a) Beth doesn't think it'd be successful on the Switch, given the horror focus (which is a bit ironic given that Resident Evil was a huge part of the GameCube library); or (b) Beth can't get it running, on a technical level, on the Switch.

Overall it was a solid, if safe, Direct. Nintendo's doing a decent job of building the Switch library at the moment, but I'm still not convinced to pick one up again after selling mine when I beat Zelda.

No, it wasn't. Why the fuck is that unexpected? Did I miss Reggie say "Animal Crossing Switch news this year!"?

Wamb0wneD

They're certainly not instilling much confidence

Please tell me about all the good stuff Xbox and PS4 have announced for next year.
Have some freaking patience. We know Fire Emblem and Wolfenstein 2 are coming 2018 with stuff like Metroid Prime and Pokemon announced already.

Preble

Wish they would have shown the new Zelda DLC and honestly, I really wish Mario Party Top 100 was also coming to Switch, but overall it was a good Direct. Lots of games Im interested in buying soon.

The question I'm left with after E3 and this direct is "What the fuck are Retro working on?".
We've literally neither seen nor heard anything.

Please tell me about all the good stuff Xbox and PS4 have announced for next year.
Have some freaking patience. We know Fire Emblem and Wolfenstein 2 are coming 2018 with stuff like Metroid Prime and Pokemon announced already.

Just expected more from a 45 minute direct. It's almost impressive

Honestly, it was what I expected. Mostly focusing on stuff we already knew about. Nintendo isn't going to go hardcore on new announcements to take the wind out of Mario Odyssey's sails.

Still, it's nice to see Bethesda giving Nintendo great support, and Project Octopath looks great.

I really wish Nintendo would do a better job with explaining their games. Everything is just so dry and lifeless. "Here is a kingdom based in the Jungle." NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Mario Odyssey looks really fun, can't wait!

I just noticed a new channel on my Switch, MXGP3.
EDIT : well, looks like I missed the announcement a few weeks ago ^^

Wait for Mario and then wait for like a January direct.

I am excited about Mario for sure! Zelda and Mario will be great for me this year, especially considering I'm not very far along in BOTW. Thanks for your nice response.

I admitted I was being melodramatic, but it seemed to still rub a couple of posters on here a very wrong way. I think Mario looks great and I intend on picking it up. Just disappointed in the no VC thing (so far) as well as there being nothing outside of Odyssey that interests me.

Top Bottom