• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

Dabi

Why does Hades give Elizabeth / Aloy a Kill on Sight order?

I'm assuming it's because Aloy was a part of GAIA's plan but how would Hades know that?

alexbull_uk

Why does Hades give Elizabeth / Aloy a Kill on Sight order?

I'm assuming it's because Aloy was a part of GAIA's plan but how would Hades know that?

HADES corrupts GAIA, so it has control over 'her'. Hence why it knows about the plan.

I'm assuming the kill on sight order is in case the corruption of the alpha registry somehow didn't stop Aloy (so it was a pretty good call in the end lol).

Michaelsens

Neo Member
How would GAIA have spawned the flowers? DEMETER had control over plant life. The new growth might be DEMETER's way of expressing her awakened state, in a much less destructive and homicidal manner than HADES and HEPHAESTUS.
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but there is another connection between the poems in the flowers and DEMETER. In one of the final Elisabet logs you can find this:

"Forwarded the Odyssey message to the Alphas. Naoto replied in less than a minute - with a poem, of course.[...] Guess I should stop by Naoto's lab and check on DEMETER's progress, too. If I can get out of there without a volume of Tennyson pressed into my hands, I'll count myself lucky."

HADES corrupts GAIA, so it has control over 'her'. Hence why it knows about the plan.

I'm assuming the kill on sight order is in case the corruption of the alpha registry somehow didn't stop Aloy (so it was a pretty good call in the end lol).
Hmmm. HADES did not corrupt GAIA nor have any control over her or her aspects. Sobek was Alpha Prime; Her clone, which all the subroutines would ostensibly recognize, is the only person with clearance able to access the various facilities and interdict HADES' plan. That makes her a threat.

So funny story; I was in the main mission where the Eclipse is using the Deathbringer for the first time (I was wearing my headphones). It was about 2am and I started dozing off shortly after destroying it. Then Hades voice booms in and I screamed and almost flipped off of my couch. Water and chips were everywhere and wife came rushing out of the room with the a bat.

Needless to say I'm no longer allowed to game with my headphones at night anymore.

On the bright side Hades got my attention lol.

BraXzy

I totally forgot about 'The Derangement' being a recent even that people noticed the machines changing/new aggressive ones appearing. That was the last piece of the puzzle I wasn't fully getting my head around. The timeline all makes sense to me now :)

For some reason I was thinking the machines had always been like this.

The game features a great deal of the story on what happened to the old ones. With most of misteries answered, do you think the sequel would keep digging in the past? Unless they focus on the Odyssey (asuming there's a story to tell there) or create some new secrets, I don't feel like there's something obvious to tell. I wonder if they'll opt to focus mainly on the present? Would be a pretty different game story wise.

Neoweee

I don't know much about cloning, but do they explain why Aloy is only a 99.74% DNA match with Elisabet, rather than like 99.99%, or 100%?

I don't know much about cloning, but do they explain why Aloy is only a 99.74% DNA match with Elisabet, rather than like 99.99%, or 100%?
They don't, but it makes sense. Minor errors in the cloning process, data artifacting after 974 years, DNA damage from her environment etc. It would be weird if she was 99.9% or 100%.

Neoweee

They don't, but it makes sense. Minor errors in the cloning process, data artifacting after 974 years, DNA damage from her environment etc. It would be weird if she was 99.9% or 100%.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. They said the % early in the game, so I spent the entire game thinking she was a clone that was heavily modified for some purpose. But the must be using a different scale of comparison, because all humans are about 99.9% matches with others humans, and on an absolute scale Aloy would be wildly different at the stated % beyond what a dna identity verification system would recognize and allow.

*shrugs*

Shit's complicated, yo.

Did anyone else notice that on the hologram of the Earth that Panama was water?

There's a lot of stuff in the game (like the glyph describing the Forbidden West, for one) that leads me to believe that ocean levels are way, way higher. Wouldn't surprise me to find out, in the sequel, that the Bay Area is all underwater.

ActWan

How the hell could Faro hack in to the GAIA facility and APOLLO that easily? This is something I always tried to wrap my head around. Is he like super smart more than all the Alphas and they didn't make good defences? Just doesn't seem that reasonable to me that he did it like that.
I think Elizabet might have given him access somehow but it's a stupid unreasonable thing to do...

How the hell could Faro hack in to the GAIA facility and APOLLO that easily? This is something I always tried to wrap my head around. Is he like super smart more than all the Alphas and they didn't make good defences? Just doesn't seem that reasonable to me that he did it like that.
I think Elizabet might have given him access somehow but it's a stupid unreasonable thing to do...

There's a conversation somewhere between the AI, Elizabeth, and Faro where Faro argues that there should be a backdoor into the AI, given what happened with the previous unhackable "quantum cryptographic super AI". I think that's how he did it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is covered in a data point Ted got Elizabet to put in a backdoor to Gaia after the mistake he made in not doing so with his war machines

Forget about how Faro was able to delete all the data from the Apollo sub-program. The more pertinent question, why is Faro able to suck all the atmosphere out of the room they were sitting in? Even if you accept that that is a safety feature to combat fires, it's a top secret base designed to be sealed off from the world for centuries.

Why the fuck would you make it possible for someone to access those systems remotely?

There's a lot of stuff in the game (like the glyph describing the Forbidden West, for one) that leads me to believe that ocean levels are way, way higher. Wouldn't surprise me to find out, in the sequel, that the Bay Area is all underwater.
That was Earth in 2065 though. There are mentions of Eastern Seaboard Wall and the Bahamas only recently (as of 2065) reemerging from the ocean as the polar ice caps are rebuilt.

ActWan

There's a conversation somewhere between the AI, Elizabeth, and Faro where Faro argues that there should be a backdoor into the AI, given what happened with the previous unhackable "quantum cryptographic super AI". I think that's how he did it.

This is covered in a data point Ted got Elizabet to put in a backdoor to Gaia after the mistake he made in not doing so with his war machines

Ohhh right. I completely forgot about it. Fuckin' Faro

Neoweee

Ah, I guess that makes sense. They said the % early in the game, so I spent the entire game thinking she was a clone that was heavily modified for some purpose. But the must be using a different scale of comparison, because all humans are about 99.9% matches with others humans, and on an absolute scale Aloy would be wildly different at the stated % beyond what a dna identity verification system would recognize and allow.

*shrugs*

Shit's complicated, yo.

Also, I had just been assuming that Aloy was a pun on "Alloy", so she was actually a chimera of sorts, of DNA of Elisabet mixed with some other DNA to make her more of a badass. I can't possible have been the only one to be thinking "Alloy", right?

Joeku

So now having finished the game (loved it) and skimmed this topic a bunch, what did the Horizon in the title mean? "The robopocalypse is coming up on the horizon for humanity"?

I am super glad the game had a T rating. The tone and adventurousness line right up with Young Adult novel series.

x-Lundz-x

Finished the game and platinumed tonight. Whew fam what a ride. AMAZING

The last end credits scene and seeing Sylens...motherfucker...

JakR

Also, I had just been assuming that Aloy was a pun on "Alloy", so she was actually a chimera of sorts, of DNA of Elisabet mixed with some other DNA to make her more of a badass. I can't possible have been the only one to be thinking "Alloy", right?

I thought so too.
I mean Aloy would have two scars, if I am correct and I never saw them. The first one from Bast and tze second from the knife of Helis.

So it is a limitation on the engine or oversight on GG, both I do not want to believe.

I thought so too.
I mean Aloy would have two scars, if I am correct and I never saw them. The first one from Bast and tze second from the knife of Helis.

So it is a limitation on the engine or oversight on GG, both I do not want to believe.
Forehead one is kinda hard to make out but the scar on the neck is quite apparent if you zoom in close enough. Maybe photomode?

One thing I want for the sequel: Aloy wearing Rost's tribal face paint.
I was disappointed that she seems to be the only Nora that lacks any facial paint at all. Headcannon, I'm guessing this is something chosen/given by the mother and the lack of paint immediately marks her as having none, further setting her apart even amongst outcasts.

Headcannon, I'm guessing this is something chosen/given by the mother and the lack of paint immediately marks her as having none, further setting her apart even amongst outcasts.

I'm pretty sure it's some form of matrilineal naming, pretty common in matriarchal/matrilineal/matrifocal societies (like the Iroquois and the Minangkabau): Sona, Vala and Varl share the same (or very similar, at least) markings. Aloy wearing Rost's marking would be a pretty cool homage, though, as well as a big fuck you to Nora traditions.

As a segue, I wish they'd kept Rost around a bit longer. I get why they killed him there, so Aloy (and you as a player) would go on and adventure outside the Embrace with no tethers, but I think Rost could've been the "sounding board" character. That would give you time to bond with him further and make his death, later, more significant. A good point to do that, IMO, would be during "The Heart of the Nora" - would make the trip into All-Mother all the more poignant, as well.

Yeah, the datapoint at Blazon Arch describes a city underwater which is most likely Los Angeles.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
He made peace keeping machines. As in, keeping the peace? Dude was responsible for taking human soldiers out of harm's way in war and ensuring peace around the globe.

As for the extinction thing, don't pin the results of an entire corporation on one man. Plenty of engineers were involved, Ted wasn't even that technical. No doubt a lot of Liz's engineering research for her med robots (robots that would never have been built without Ted's company) went into the Faro swarm. One could argue that as an engineer, she and the rest of Faro's engineers are the true villains.

Once extinction became likely, he does whatever it takes to secure humanities future, rather than just holing up in some palace with his trillion dollars. He even funds Liz's ludicrous ego-project to build Zero Dawn, the result of which appears largely to be to fulfil Liz's desire to create the most advanced AI imaginary friend of all time. Which is understandable because no one likes her.

Anyway, even if you want to pin all the blame on Ted for the swarm (ridiculous) that's just one thing. One mistake. Easy to type behind a keyboard and act like you've never made a mistake but we all do. His had somewhat large consequences, but it was just one mistake and was NOT intentional.

Wow.

It's like you fell for the damage control PR Faro released.

He was a reckless, arrogant, business mogul who made trillions from war profiteering. He called the memo to switch production to man operated weaponry when the swarm went haywire a "growth opportunity". He rode Sobeck's coat tails with her environment restoration bots from the 2030's atmospheric collapse.

Elizabet was ambitious and a lonesome seeker just like Aloy because they're clones. Differentiating them too much would have made no logical sense. Zero Dawn wasn't an ego trip project, it was the only way to combat total inevitable biological extinction; unlike Ted Faro's unethical choice to send uber-encrypted autonomous war machines to agricultural turf wars.

I don't know where the unfounded hate for Elizabet and Ted Faro's absolution meet in your mind but, man, if it isn't the worst way to interpret things.

ActWan

BTW, I never understood what's the deal with the blue stuff sticking out of Sylens' body. Might he be an android of some kind?
That would explaion his "cold" nature and abillity to fix electronics.
And it's definitely not paint, but wires sticking out of his body
f65b886fb5934cd8bc17b74528c9e248.png

31ffaad9c057493997a19a525ef16e5b.png

7ef6bfb65bf64a4daf72d35fb5a08190.png

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
BTW, I never understood what's the deal with the blue stuff sticking out of Sylens' body. Might he be an android of some kind?

'Deal with the devil" sort of thing.

He might have been disabled before meeting HADES, and one of his rewards (more to HADES' benefit to have an able bodied errand boy) was to have cauldron-made cyber-prosthetics.

Tales from my ass.

I have no clue.

It's ritual body modification. Sylens was a Banuk and their shamans would modify their bodies with machine parts.

Just check out the Banuk encampment in the area next to the Grave-Hoard.

ActWan

It's ritual body modification. Sylens was a Banuk and their shamans would modify their bodies with machine parts.

I guess that explains it, I didn't know the Banuk used to do that...might be some glyph I missed. I love little visual storytelling bits like that.

It's a Banuk shaman thing. Think body-mods, but instead of bones, teeth and wooden spikes, they use fiber-optics salvaged from robot-dinos.

BiGBoSSMk23

It's a Banuk shaman thing. Think body-mods, but instead of bones, teeth and wooden spikes, they use fiber-optics salvaged from robot-dinos.

Wow.

Missed that Glyph.

He made peace keeping machines. As in, keeping the peace? Dude was responsible for taking human soldiers out of harm's way in war and ensuring peace around the globe.

As for the extinction thing, don't pin the results of an entire corporation on one man. Plenty of engineers were involved, Ted wasn't even that technical. No doubt a lot of Liz's engineering research for her med robots (robots that would never have been built without Ted's company) went into the Faro swarm. One could argue that as an engineer, she and the rest of Faro's engineers are the true villains.

Once extinction became likely, he does whatever it takes to secure humanities future, rather than just holing up in some palace with his trillion dollars. He even funds Liz's ludicrous ego-project to build Zero Dawn, the result of which appears largely to be to fulfil Liz's desire to create the most advanced AI imaginary friend of all time. Which is understandable because no one likes her.

Anyway, even if you want to pin all the blame on Ted for the swarm (ridiculous) that's just one thing. One mistake. Easy to type behind a keyboard and act like you've never made a mistake but we all do. His had somewhat large consequences, but it was just one mistake and was NOT intentional.

Damn! we needed someone like you to keep the flame alive haha.

So now having finished the game (loved it) and skimmed this topic a bunch, what did the Horizon in the title mean? "The robopocalypse is coming up on the horizon for humanity"?

I am super glad the game had a T rating. The tone and adventurousness line right up with Young Adult novel series.

No idea what the official line on it is but my take is:

Horrizon is the far distance (more specifically the furtherst point you can see in the distance) or the limit of ones knowledge and experiences.
+
Zero Dawn is the project to bring life back to earth in the distant furture.

So either
Project Zero Dawn will take play in the horrizon of time.
or
The limit of mankinds knowledge and eperiences will be brought back to the earth via project zero dawn.

Or maybe they just thought it sounded cool. Prob the latter.

Nothus

Just finished the main story last night.
Loved the concept, loved the way it was executed but honestly that final scene with Sylens was really dumb.
Why build your entire story around realistic (albeit futuristic) science and technology, and then right at the end have an artificial intelligence float out of its shell, across the sky and land inside of a fucking magic lantern?! What?

I get that they wanted Sylens to keep Hades alive in some form but why not just show a scene of him sneaking up to Hades, perhaps under the cover of night, and transferring the AI onto his focus or something?

A small gripe perhaps but still irritating.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sylens was a Banuk...

Where/when is this confirmed in the game? Just curious because I don't remember it. I recognised his modifications from the Banuk camp, but doesn't he refuse to tell Aloy anything about where he's from?

Or is it an educated guess?

Damn! we needed someone like you to keep the flame alive haha.

I mean... I've questioned whether Ted was actually right to delete Apollo, but Griss took it to the next level. Hates Elisabet. Thinks Ted's actions were just a mistake like anybody could make...

I think I'm actually quite scared of Griss...

Griss

Got the plat last night. Hunting down the collectibles wasn't exactly an exhilarating experience, it was the definition of checkbox gaming. Still, though, just going to a machine site you like and fighting the machines there... that and photo mode are reason enough to return to the game many times.

Just finished the main story last night.
Loved the concept, loved the way it was executed but honestly that final scene with Sylens was really dumb.
Why build your entire story around realistic (albeit futuristic) science and technology, and then right at the end have an artificial intelligence float out of its shell, across the sky and land inside of a fucking magic lantern?! What?

I get that they wanted Sylens to keep Hades alive in some form but why not just show a scene of him sneaking up to Hades, perhaps under the cover of night, and transferring the AI onto his focus or something?

A small gripe perhaps but still irritating.

My one gripe with the visual style of the entire game was how they used 'tech magic' to show corruption spreading. It was stupid from the start so it didn't bother me by the end that they were still using it in the post-credits scene.

They should have made it so that only Aloy could see that stuff, and only with her focus on, and made it more 'techy' somehow, like it was code or a visualisation of wave frequencies of what have you. Other than that one thing the art design in the game was flawless, utterly astonishing.

I mean... I've questioned whether Ted was actually right to delete Apollo, but Griss took it to the next level. Hates Elisabet. Thinks Ted's actions were just a mistake like anybody could make...

I think we're far enough removed from my post for me to admit I was being entirely facetious. The point I was making (through satire / trolling) is that the game relentlessly beats you over the head with what an astonishing asshole Ted is and what a genius martyr Elisabet is. It's way over the top, to the point that no one could possibly misunderstand what's going on, and it grated on me. As a reaction I pretended to be that person who didn't get it against all odds, purely as a response to how heavy handed and crap that entire part of the story was. If you present one person as perfect, and another as utterly irredeemable, my instinct is to roll my eyes and rebel against your storytelling.

I mean, the dude is responsible for the extinction of humanity for the stupidest reason one could imagine, is a whiny bitch about it, then murders all the alphas for no reason at all while giving them a mealy mouthed excuse for doing it. He's the worst. But it's too blatant, utterly stupidly blatant to the point of unbelievability, just as Elisabet's mary sue nature is way too blatant. Not only does she save the world (multiple times) and sacrifice herself, she gets speeches like 'Gaia needs to feel!' Yeah, I'll be getting sick over here.

Luckily Aloy herself was much better, because she obviously mattered much more. I still felt like Aloy was too one-note, and the lack of any sexual or romantic thoughts at all really hurt my perception of her as a real person. That was clearly done not to scare away guy gamers who like to self-insert as the main character, and it sucked.

Like I said, I loved the overall plot and lore, but with better characters and dialogue the sequel could be even better.

Moneal

Where/when is this confirmed in the game? Just curious because I don't remember it. I recognised his modifications from the Banuk camp, but doesn't he refuse to tell Aloy anything about where he's from?

Its not confirmed in game. Someone said they had the art book and Sylens was in the Banuk section of it.

The Art Book has a section on the Banuk tribe and Sylens is there :D

I think we're far enough removed from my post for me to admit I was being entirely facetious. The point I was making (through satire / trolling) is that the game relentlessly beats you over the head with what an astonishing asshole Ted is and what a genius martyr Elisabet is. It's way over the top, to the point that no one could possibly misunderstand what's going on, and it grated on me. As a reaction I pretended to be that person who didn't get it against all odds, purely as a response to how heavy handed and crap that entire part of the story was. If you present one person as perfect, and another as utterly irredeemable, my instinct is to roll my eyes and rebel against your storytelling.

I mean, the dude is responsible for the extinction of humanity for the stupidest reason one could imagine, is a whiny bitch about it, then murders all the alphas for no reason at all while giving them a mealy mouthed excuse for doing it. He's the worst. But it's too blatant, utterly stupidly blatant to the point of unbelievability, just as Elisabet's mary sue nature is way too blatant. Not only does she save the world (multiple times) and sacrifice herself, she gets speeches like 'Gaia needs to feel!' Yeah, I'll be getting sick over here.

Luckily Aloy herself was much better, because she obviously mattered much more. I still felt like Aloy was too one-note, and the lack of any sexual or romantic thoughts at all really hurt my perception of her as a real person. That was clearly done not to scare away guy gamers who like to self-insert as the main character, and it sucked.

Like I said, I loved the overall plot and lore, but with better characters and dialogue the sequel could be even better.

That makes total sense to me yeah, I didn't feel that way but if it hits you that way, again, it has total sense.

Perineum

This game and this franchise is 10/10 for me. Aside from the meh tutorial portion as I have mentioned before, I really couldn't find a flaw. It delivers on all levels.

I would love DLC to play as Roth or Sylens to expand on the lore.

Also, are we really going to be fighting machines in a sequel? I mean we learn they are essential to making the planet healthy again, so unless they are corrupted again why would we fight them?

This game and this franchise is 10/10 for me. Aside from the meh tutorial portion as I have mentioned before, I really couldn't find a flaw. It delivers on all levels.

I would love DLC to play as Roth or Sylens to expand on the lore.

Also, are we really going to be fighting machines in a sequel? I mean we learn they are essential to making the planet healthy again, so unless they are corrupted again why would we fight them?

Cauldrons are still making machines to fight humans so until Gaia is fixed there's nothing anyone can do but to fight. Besides, if we are going to the Forbidden West... well, seems that things are pretty much worst there.

Top Bottom